Royals Murdered

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

espejor

Aristocracy
City
Sevilla
Country
Spain
Hello!! We can talk about the royals that were murdered (specially during 20th century):

-Imperial Russian Family (Nicholas II, Alexandra, Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia and Alexis) in 1918. During the Communist Revolution a lot of members of Romanov family were murdered.

-Emperor of Mexico (¿final of 19th century?).

-King of Portugal (¿1908?).

-Archiduke and Archiduchesse of Austria-Hungary in ¿1914? in Sarajevo. They were heirs of the Austrian Throne.

-Prince Shariar Shafiq of Iran in Paris (1979): He was the son of Princess Ashraf (twin sister of the Shah).

-Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia: He was murdered by the communist in his arrest.

Regards!!

What in interesting thread. What made you think of it now?

Don't forget about Empres Elisabeth (Sisi, Sissi) of Austria-Hungary 10 Sept 1898 in Geneva.

Charles III Duke of Parma 26 March 1854.

Don't forget about Empres Elisabeth (Sisi, Sissi) of Austria-Hungary 10 Sept 1898 in Geneva.

Charles III Duke of Parma 26 March 1854.

Sissi was mudered?
x

What in interesting thread. What made you think of it now?

Hello lumutqueen!

I have been reading about the sad civil war that Spain suffered between 1936-1939. Among the thousand of murdered, there were a few members of the Spanish Royal Family (about eleven). Some of them in accidents of aviation, some of them shot, some of them in combat.

And some days ago, I have been looking for books about the Imperial Russian Family (and his sad story).

Other royal families murdered were the Royal Family of Nepal and the Royal Family of Laos.

Quite a few of British Monarchs (English, Scottish and/or British) met a violent end. Here are some of them:

Edmund I - murdered by an exiled thief, Leofa
St Edward the Martyr - murdered by his stepmother
Edward II - he was (presumably) murdered in a rather brutal way, if the stories are to be believed.
Richard II - was most probably starved to death
James I - murdered by a group of Scots, led by Sir Robert Graham
Henry VI - murdered in the Tower
Lady Jane Grey - executed
Mary Stuart - executed
Charles I - executed
Edward V and Prince Richard of York - both brothers were presumably murdered in the Tower of London (the date, method or even the culprits are unknown)

Malcolm - died in a battle
Duncan I - killed by his own men
Harold Godwinson - died at the Battle of Hastings
William the Conqueror - died of injuries received at the Siege of Mantes
Richard I the Lionheart - died of wounds received at a siege (in France)
James II of Scotland - died in a battle (was near a cannon explosion)
Richard III - died at the Battle of Bosworth
James III of Scotland - killed in a battle
James IV of Scotland - killed at the Battle of Flodden Field

Russian Royals had equally turbulent history, too many of them were murdered to give a complete list, however this is a short list:

Tzarevich Ivan (Ivan IV, the Terrible's eldest son) - murdered by his own father, while trying to protect his pregnant wife
Ivan IV - although there is no conclusive proof of this, the examination of his remains recently showed traces of poisoning. It is generally agreed he was poisoned by Belsky and/or Boris Godunov (days earlier he tried to rape Irina, Godunov's sister and Feodor's (Ivan IV's second eldest son) wife, and only Godunov and Belsky's intervention saved her. It is possible they feared for their own lives)
Fyodor II - shortly after his father's (Boris Godunov) death, he was murdered, along with his mother. Although officially he was declared to have been poisoned, later studies indicate a more violent death; according the researchers, he was probably strangled, and it apparently took at least 4 men to overpower Fyodor
False Dmitri I - murdered by conspirators
False Dmitri II - murdered by Peter Urusov
Ivan VI - murdered by a guard (of the prison where he had spent some 20 years of his life), in accordance with the orders sent by Catherine II
Peter III - supposedly assassinated as a result of a conspiracy led by his wife (future Catherine II, the Great), although it is uncertain whether Catherine actually knew of the assassination plans
Paul I - assassinated as a result of a conspiracy, which put his son, Alexander, on the Throne. It is almost certain Alexander had no idea his father would be murdered
Alexander II, the Liberator - one of Russia's greatest Monarch's fell victim to an assassination plot
Nicholas II, Empress Alexandra and their children - killed by Bolsheviks in 1917
Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich - de juro Emperor of Russia was murdered in Perm, most probably on orders from Cheka

Grand Duke Dimitri Konstantinovich, Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich, Grand Duke George Mikhailovich, Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovich - the four Grand Dukes were brutally murdered together in January of 1919 by the Bolsheviks. They were lined up before a ditch and shot. The shots sent their bodies into the trench. The bodies of Grand Duke Nicholas, Grand Duke George and Grand Duke Paul were thrown into a mass grave, however the body of Grand Duke Dimitri was secretly collected by the Grand Duke's former Adjutant, con Leiming, who transferred them to a private burial in Petrograd.
All Grand Dukes faced their deaths with great courage. George and Dimitri prayed before they were shot; Dimitri's prayed for forgiveness for his murderers, his last words were "Forgive them, for they know not what they do"

Grand Duke Sergei Mikhailovich, three sons of Grand Duke Konstantine Kosntantinovich (Ivan, Konstantine and Igor), Prince Vladimir Paley (the son of the morganatic marriage of Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovich, a brilliant poet), Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna - according to an eyewitness account, all of them were blindfolded (with the exception of Grand Duke Sergei Mikhailovich, who tried to resist and was shot in hand), sat in a cart and taken to a mine shaft. Blindfolded, the Grand Dukes and the Grand Duchess were ordered to walk across a log placed over the 60 foot deep mine. Sergei Mickailovich tried to disobey and was shot to death; his body was thrown into the shaft. The others were struck in the head and thrown into the shaft still alive. Several hand grenades were thrown in after that.
Although all of them were believed to be death after that, other eyewitnesses claim that groans, cries of pain coming from the shaft were heard for several days. The locals were forbidden to go anywhere near the shaft or try to help those inside – the punishment was death.
The 'execution' took place at the dawn and in great secrecy, for the Bolsheviks believed the local people would oppose such brutal murder, especially that of Grand Duchess Elizabeth.

Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich - his death in 1941 arose a lot of rumours; many believed that Bolsheviks finally 'got him', while others thought Hitler had ordered his death after Dmitri's refusal to lead the army of Russian nobles in the war against Soviet Union (he said that nothing would induce him to fight against fellow Russians)

King Alexander I of Yugoslavia, Marseilles, 1934.
King George I of the Hellenes, Salonika, 1913
Prince Willem I of Orange, Delft, 1584
King Faisal of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh, 1975
King Birendra, queen Aiswarya and seven other members of the Nepalese RF, Kathmandu, 2001.
King Louis XVI and Queen Marie-Antoinette of France, Paris, 1793.
Duke John I of Burgundy (aka John the Fearless), Montereau, 1419 (by the French crwon prince and his men).

Possibly murdered:
Tsar Boris III of Bulgaria, Sofia, 1943 (said to be poisoned by the Nazi's)
King Ludwig II of Bavaria, Lake Stamberg, 1886 (he was drowned, according to some sources)

Last edited:
Faisal II of Iraq 1939-58 and family:
Crown Prince Abd al-Ilah of Iraq
Princess Hiyam
Princess Nafeesa
Princess Abadiya murdered by coup d'etat.

Abdullah I of Jordan shoted in 1951 by Mustafa Ashu.

Alexander I of Yugoslavia 1929-34 shoted in Marseille during visit in Third French Republic by Vlado Chernozemski. (It was first assassinations captured on film.)

Alexander I of Serbia 1889-1903 and Queen Draga murdered 1903.

Faisal of Saudi Arabia shot in 1975 by his halfbrother's son Faisal bin Musa'id during public meeting with prominent citizens.

Umberto I King of Ialy 1878-1900 shot by Italo-American anarchist Gaetano Bresci.

earlier by guillotine:
Louis XVI King of France
Marie Antoinette Queen of France spouse of LXVI
Princess Elisabeth of France , sister of LXVI
Louis Philippe II Duke d'Orleans
Frederick III Prince of Salm-Kyrburg

Lucien Grimaldi, Lord of Monaco, was murdered by his nephew Bartholomew Doria :monacoflag:
Emperor Dinh bo Linh, founder of the Dinh dynasty, was murdered by his palace guard while he was sleeping. Nguyen Duc Duc, Emperor of Vietnam for 3 days, was murdered by starvation. His successor, Emperor Hiep Hoa, was forced to kill himself by drinking poison and his successor, Emperor Kien Phuc, was killed by poisoning -1883- the Year of the 3 Emperors :vietnamflag:
Emperor Yongzheng of China was allegedly murdered by the daughter of an official he had executed. Emperor Guangxu of China was allegedly murdered by arsenic poisoning by Empress Dowager Cixi :chinaflag:
King Taksin the Great of Thailand was deposed and later murdered by the founder of the current Chakri dynasty. King Ananda Mahidol, Rama VIII, of Thailand was shot to death in his room at the Grand Palace :thaiflag:
Emperor Shaka of the Zulus was murdered by his 3 half brothers :swazilandflag:
Emperor Montezuma II of Mexico was murdered, whether by his own people or by the Spanish is still disputed. Emperor Agustin de Iturbide of Mexico was shot by firing squad and Emperor Maximilian of Mexico was shot by firing squad :mexicoflag:

Oh yes.

Carlos I King of Posrtugal and Luis Felipe, Prince Royal of Portugal and Prince 1 Feb 1908 shot by Carbonaria.

Rosalie Gicanda Queen Dowager of Rwanda murdered in 1994.

Elizabeth of Bosnia, Queen of Hungary and Poland, regent for her daughter Mary, was kidnapped in 1386 and strangled in January 1387.

We should only discuss royals who were murdered, not commoners or those who were executed.

Leszek Biały Piast (White) Prince of Cracov, Masovia was assassinaed in 1227.

Henri III of Poland and France assassinated in 1589 by Dominican fair Jacques Clement.

Boris III of Bulgaria 1943
Mafalda of Savoy, princess of Hesse 1944

Luise of Savoy, princess de Lamballe 1789/90

Don't forget the royal massacre in Nepal, where the Crown Prince interrupted a family dinner and shot and killed several members of his family including his father, and then killed himself. Very sad :(

Don't forget Lord Louis Mountbatten cousin of the Queen (QEII) who was murdered by the IRA when his boat was blown up in 1979. It was an absolutely horrific event that not only killed Lord Mountbatten, but one of his grandsons, who was only 14.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 27 | 1979: IRA bomb kills Lord Mountbatten

This was an awful tragedy, I've seen footage of Prince Charles after the event and it's heartbreaking, to know a boy as young as 14 was killed is awful.

Elizabeth of Bosnia, Queen of Hungary and Poland, regent for her daughter Mary, was kidnapped in 1386 and strangled in January 1387.

We should only discuss royals who were murdered, not commoners or those who were executed.

Thats terrible; was there a reason why?
And may I ask enquire as to why we should no include those executed that is still murder? And which commoners have been included?

This is shaping up to be a wonderful read.

And may I ask enquire as to why we should no include those executed that is still murder? And which commoners have been included?

Elizabeth after her husbands death was Mary's regent from 1382. In Hungary Elizabeth was helped by Palatine Miklós Garai, Nikola I Gorjanski Stariji. When Sigismund, his powerful brother king Wenceslaus IV and many noblemen of Hungary were opposed to Elizabeth and the Palatine. Some noblemen helped Maria's relative Charles of Naples to become briefly the King of Hungary in 1385. Elizabeth and Mary were forced to attend his coronation. In 1386 both were captured Horvat brothers. There is theory that they do that on the orders of Mary's and co-ruler Sigismund. On January 1387, Elizabeth was strangled before Mary's eyes. Mary bitterly accused squarely her husband of arranging the kidnapping and murder of her mother. Mary reconciled with the Horvats and granted them estates in Slavonia and Northern Bosnia and refused to live with Sigismund and keeping a separate household. In July 1387 Mary was rescued from that captivity by troops of Trytko of Bosnia and the Croatian noble family later known as Frankopan main supporters of the Bosnian faction.

This is a very interesting thread indeed.
Elizabeth's death will be hard to explain in a few words, so I hope you will be patient and read this long one. :)

Elizabeth's husband died when their elder daughter Mary was only 10 years old, thus leaving Elizabeth Regent of the Kingdom. It was expected that Mary would eventually become Queen of both Hungary and Poland. Elizabeth arranged Mary's marriage to Sigismund of Luxemburg (at the time of the marriage in 1385, Mary was 13 and Sigismund was 15). The Polish, however, banished Sigismund from Poland. The Polish noblemen were also very unhappy with the prospect of union with Hungary, so they chose Mary's younger sister, Jadwiga as their Queen (Jadwiga was 9 at the time, but despite this, the Polish nobles strongly opposed to Elizabeth's regency in Poland, and it was discontinued there and Jadwiga was forced to leave for Poland without her mother or friends).

Elizabeth de-facto ruled Hungary to deep dissatisfaction of Sigismund, his brother, Wenceslaus IV of Bohemia, as well as many Hungarian noblemen. Sigismund and Wenceslaus actively plotted against Elizabeth, however the strategy backfired when the nobles invited Mary's second cousin, Charles of Naples to reign over them. Elizabeth was unprepared for such turn of events and wasn't able to resist at first andwas even forced to attend the Coronation, along with Mary and Sigismund. However, once the first shock was over, she arranged Charles's assassination.

Soon after the assassination, Elizabeth and Mary were captured by a powerful Hungarian noble family of Horvats. Although it was maintained at the time that the Horvat brothers acted of their own will, it is almost certain that the women were captured on Sigismund's orders. Despite his young age (he was barely 17 at the time), he wanted to rule the Kingdom himself and thus deeply resented Elizabeth's Regency. Elizabeth's cousin and adoptive brother Trvtko I of Bosnia posed an ultimatum to Horvats and Sigismund, threatening to revenge if both his sister and niece weren't released immediately. However, Elizabeth was strangled right in front of her daughter. Shocked by the news and true to his word, Trvkto quickly gathered troops to release at least his niece. Although his efforts were met with considerable opposition (not on the battlefield but on the diplomatic field), he did eventually rescue Mary from captivity.

When Mary met Sigismund for the first time after the rescue, she publically accused him of a matricide. Unable to get a divorce, she nevertheless refused to live with Sigismund and kept a separate household. Sigismund forced Mary to proclaim him her co-ruler and without Elizabeth to protect her daughter’s interests, he basically held all the powers.
Mary desperately wanted to find out the truth of her mother's murder and to punish the culprit (strongly believing it was Sigismund, she hoped that evidence supporting his involvement would enable her to divorce or even execute him). She therefore went as far as forgiving the Horvat brothers and granting them estates, on condition that they would tell who ordered her mother's murder. Before they could talk, however, they were killed by Sigismund's men; he justified his actions, stating it was a revenge for Elizabeth's murder.

Mary then tried to make sure that if something happened to her, Sigismund didn't remain the ruler, or at least the sole ruler of Hungary. She appointed her beloved uncle Trvtko as her Heir, should she die childless. However Trvkto died 3 years later (he was most probably murdered and it is alleged that Sigismund was involved with the murder). Four years after Trvkto's death, Mary died as well, under very suspicious circumstances. She was heavily pregnant at the time of her death and suffered a fall from the horse; eyewitnesses testified that her horse was deliberately frightened and a lot of people believed that Sigismund had arranged her murder (and scholars are inclined to agree with the version). She had no surviving children, so Sigismund became a sole ruler. Since Sigismund ruled in his wife’s right, his claims to the Hungarian Throne were shaky at the very best. He thus married Mary's cousin Barbara of Celje; Barbara was the granddaughter of Katarina Kotromanic, who was the cousin and adopted sister of Mary's mother, Elizabeth of Bosnia, Tvrtko I was her first cousin (incidentally, Barbara's cousin and adopted sister Anna married Wladyslaw, King of Poland, who was the widower of Jadwiga of Poland, Mary's sister).
Barbara’s descendants would later become Kings and Queens (some Regnant, some Consorts) of Poland, Hungary and Bohemia. Among her descendants were Charles I of Great Britain (through his mother, Anne of Denmark, who was Barbara's direct descendant) and Nicholas II of Russia. She is also a direct ancestor of both Diana, Princess of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and thus future direct ancestor of the British Monarch.
Sigismund was later elected Holy Roman Emperor, King of Bohemia, Lombardia and Germany.

This posts adds several more murdered Royals to the list:
Charles II of Naples - murdered on Elizabeth of Bosnia's orders
Trvtko I of Bosnia - most probably, murdered on Sigismund's orders
Mary of Hungary - Murdered (allegedly) on Sigismund's orders while heavily pregnant

The parents of HM Queen Margarita of Bulgaria was murdered in 1936 by loyalists.

King Alexander and Queen Draga of Serbia, in 1903
Prince Mihailo of Serbia, in 1868

Hi,

My goodness, Sigismund sounds like a real nasty piece of business....
And, the rest don't appear to be much better; but I guess, these were the times and one had to be alert and even cruel to survive.
"To the victor, go the spoils"....

Thank you Marsel77, for this education - I had never heard of these people before...
Someone should make a movie or mini-series about them and tie them in with the current Royals of Europe!!

Larry

My pleasure, Larry and lumutqueen. :)

My goodness, Sigismund sounds like a real nasty piece of business....
And, the rest don't appear to be much better; but I guess, these were the times and one had to be alert and even cruel to survive.
"To the victor, go the spoils"....

Someone should make a movie or mini-series about them and tie them in with the current Royals of Europe!!

Sigisumnd was a more or less typical ruler for his time, everyone involved in the story weren't exactly likeable personalities, with the possible exception of Tvrtko of Bosnia, who is generally regarded as a gentle and kind man. Sigisumnd was certainly a very successful, although ruthless ruler. But he was hardly worse then any of Europe's Monarchs even of later times.

I agree that a mini-series about their lives would have been a very entertaining and interesting watch.

Hi again Marsel77,

Yes, I agree with you 100%...

Sigismund was no better nor no worse than many of the rulers of history; it makes for an interesting read!!!

May I suggest that you bring other such stories to light on this board or perhaps a book about 'unknown infamous personages'... You write very well and very clearly - a true education for us all....
I can see a talent there for clear, concise literature.... Really....

Hoping to read more!

Larry

Now that article on the princesse de Lamballe indeed gives little room for imagination. I believe they paraed her head on a spike in front of the window of Marie Antoinette's prison.

The November 2008 newsletter had a couple of stories on plots to murder royalty:

Assassination of Prince William I of Orange

When the Dutch revolt against Spanish rule escalated as a result of the appointment of the Duke of Alva in 1567, Prince William I of Orange, stadholder of Holland and Zeeland, quickly became the natural leader of the revolt. He converted to Protestantism and since 1572 King Philip II of Spain was involved in, or was informed about various plots to kill his enemy. On March 18 of 1582, the Spaniard Juan de Jáuregui attempted to assassinate William in Antwerp. William survived this plot thanks to the dedicated care given to him by his sister Maria and his third wife, Charlotte de Bourbon. Although William recovered, the stress had taken its toll of Charlotte, and she died on 5 May.

A year later William married for the fourth time; his bride was Louise de Coligny, daughter of Admiral Gaspard de Coligny, the leader of the French Calvinist Hugenots. In the meantime, the luck of the Dutch revolt changed for the worse, with several cities returning to Spanish rule; on 22 June 1583 William had to leave Antwerp and settled in Delft.

It was on 10 July 1584 that William of Orange would be murdered in Delft by the Catholic Frenchman Balthasar Gérard. In 1581 Gérard found out that King Philip II had declared William an outlaw and promised a reward of 25,000 crowns for his assassination, so he decided to travel to The Netherlands and kill the prince. He served in the army of the Governor of Luxembourg in the hope that his path and William's would cross. When this ploy was unsuccessful, he left the army and went to Brussels, where he explained his plans to the Governor of the Netherlands, Alessandro Farnese, the Duke of Parma; the Duke, however, was unimpressed. In May 1584, Gérard introduced himself to William as a French nobleman who would like to work for the Dutch cause. He was sent on a mission to France to confer with William's French allies. With the money he made during the trip, he bought two pistols. On his return to Delft in July, he went to the Prinsenhof, where William resided. Louise de Coligny expressed her doubts about Gérard but William agreed to speak with him after his lunch with Rombertus Uylenburgh, the Mayor of Leeuwarden (and the father of Rembrant's wife Saskia). When William left the dining room and started to go downstairs, Gérard was waiting for him on the stairs and shot him in the chest. The prince - the first head of state to be killed by a handgun - fell to the floor, uttering his last words: ‘Mon Dieu, ayez pitié de mon âme; mon Dieu, ayez pitié de ce pauvre peuple.’ (My God, have pity on my soul; my God, have pity on this poor people).

Gérard in the meantime had fled from the scene of the murder. He ran towards the city walls in an attempt to escape from the city. When he tried to climb the wall, he was caught by the soldiers and servants of the Prince of Orange and imprisoned. Much to his frustration, he was not told whether the assassination had been successful. The city magistrates conducted a preliminary hearing and quickly decided that he should be tortured in order to divulge information. The first night he was beaten with birch rods, his wounds were covered with honey, and a goat was brought in to lick the honey and tear it away with its rough tongue, in the process also pulling the skin from Gérard's body. Luckily for Gérard, the goat did not touch him. For the rest of the night Gérard was left hanging on the wall with 150-lb stones tied to his big toes. He still did not say enough, so the next day he was given shoes that were too small and made of wet dog leather; he was left in front of a fire so the shoes would shrink and burn his feet. His torturers put some torches under his armpits and inserted needles and nails under his fingernails. In the end they sent for the executioner from Utrecht, Jacob Michielsz, who finally got Gérard to confess that Alessandro Farnese was involved in the plot.

On 13 July Gérard was tried and convicted. The court decided that he had to be made an example and undergo an extremely horrible execution. First his right hand, with which he had pulled the trigger, was burned off with red-hot iron pincers. Then the flesh on various parts of his body was torn off with the same pincers. After that he was quartered alive, and his heart was cut out of his body and thrown in his face. Finally, he was beheaded. The four parts of his body were put on display at the four city gates. His head was put on a pike and placed near the house of the dead prince.

The Netherlands finally became independent of Spain in the mid-17th century, a year after the end of the reign of Frederick Henry, William's son by his fourth wife, Louise.

And another one: Louis Antoine Henri de Bourbon-Condé, duke of Enghien. He was the last in the line of Bourbon-Condé princes. Napoleon Bonaparte was widely blamed for his death.

From this wikipedia article:

Early in 1804, Napoleon Bonaparte, then First Consul of France, heard news which seemed to connect the young duke with the Cadoudal-Pichegru conspiracy then being tracked by the French police. The news ran that the duke was in company with Charles François Dumouriez and had made secret journeys into France. This was false; the acquaintance was Thumry, a harmless old man, and the duke had no dealings with either Cadoudal or Pichegru. Napoleon gave orders for the seizure of the duke. French dragoons crossed the Rhine secretly, surrounded his house and brought him to Strasbourg (15 March 1804), and thence to the Château de Vincennes, near Paris. There a military commission of French colonels presided by General Hulin was hastily convened to try him.
Meanwhile, Bonaparte had found out the true facts of the case, and the accusations were hastily changed. The duke was now charged chiefly with bearing arms against France in the late war, and with intending to take part in the new coalition then proposed against France — these latter charges were more accurate than the original ones; the argument is whether or not his actions were sufficiently severe to merit execution. Claims that he presented a threat to the life of the First Consul are probably exaggerated. The military commission hastily and most informally drew up the act of condemnation, being incited thereto by orders from Anne Jean Marie René Savary, who had come charged with instructions. Savary intervened to prevent any chance of an interview between the condemned and the First Consul, and, on 21 March, the duke was shot in the moat of the castle, near a grave which had already been prepared.

Apparently Josephine begged Napoleon to change his mind and later either Fouché of Boulay have said: 'it was worse than a crime, it was a mistake'.

------
A very interesting and more elaborate article can be found here.

Last edited:
Hi again Marsel77,

Yes, I agree with you 100%...

Sigismund was no better nor no worse than many of the rulers of history; it makes for an interesting read!!!

May I suggest that you bring other such stories to light on this board or perhaps a book about 'unknown infamous personages'... You write very well and very clearly - a true education for us all....
I can see a talent there for clear, concise literature.... Really....

Hoping to read more!

Larry

Thank you very much indeed, Larry. :flowers:
I will do my best to find more 'unknown infamous personages' for this thread, ones that will be interesting read for everyone.

susan alicia said:
although I know everyone can look it up for themselves for convenience and because they were such remarkable women:

Marie-Louise, princesse de Lamballe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Princess Mafalda of Savoy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The murder of Princess de Lamballe is one of the darkest stains of the French revolution, compared only to the murder of Nicholas II and his family. Princess de Lamballe had never done anything bad to anyone, was a gentle and kind person, who only decided to stay in France because of her devotion to the Queen. I find her brutal murder even more shocking than the execution of Marie-Antoinette or Princess Elizabeth (Louis XVI's sister).

They did parade poor Marie-Louise's head in front of the balcony of the prison Marie-Antoinette and her family were kept. The mob were laughing and warning the 'Austrian Princess' that she would have similar ending as well.
It is said that the Queen fainted at the side of her most faithful friend's head.

Back
Top Bottom