Royals Murdered

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the accounts the queen mother was strangled by soldiers right before Mary's eyes,what a horrific ordeal for the young queen.

Mary_%26_Elizabeth_of_Hungary.jpg

* Beatrice Lascaris di Tenda duchess of Milan (1372-1418).

In 1418, on August 23rd , her husband the Duke of Milan Filippo Maria Visconti, without any further inquiries, ordered to arrest the Duchess, charging her with adultery with the musician Michele Orombello and confined her in the prison of the Castle of Binasco.

Beatrice was unjustly found guilty and in the evening of September 13th 1418, in the Castle Square of Binasco, she was beheaded.

* Beatrice Lascaris di Tenda duchess of Milan (1372-1418).

In 1418, on August 23rd , her husband the Duke of Milan Filippo Maria Visconti, without any further inquiries, ordered to arrest the Duchess, charging her with adultery with the musician Michele Orombello and confined her in the prison of the Castle of Binasco.

Beatrice was unjustly found guilty and in the evening of September 13th 1418, in the Castle Square of Binasco, she was beheaded.

I had not heard of the duchess before ,you can read a little more on her life below.

Seems Beatrice was quite popular,something her husband feared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_Lascaris_di_Tenda

The assassination of Tsar Alexander II of Russia:

Apparently there had been several attempts on the Tsar’s life before the revolutionary's finally succeeded :previous:

Albert I of Germany, an early Habsburg, was murdered by his nephew John in 1308 due to a dispute over inheritance. It is believed John entered a monastery in Italy and died in obscurity.

Joanna of Naples was murdered in 1382 in captivity.

Blanche II of Navarre died in 1464, after her marriage to Henry IV of Castile was annulled. Her family then imprisoned her for eleven years, then poisoned her.

Blanche of Bourbon was killed by her husband, Peter I of Castile, in 1361. The two had been married for ten years but had never lived together; he already had a morganatic wife, Maria de Padilla, whom he much preferred to Blanche.

Count Charles of Flanders' father, King Canute IV of Denmark was assassinated in Odense Cathedral in 1086. It is hard to believe that an assassination would occur in a cathedral, the house of God. It appears as though anything is possible.

Apparently there had been several attempts on the Tsar’s life before the revolutionary's finally succeeded :previous:

Including the last one. Alexander was not hurt initially.

Count Charles of Flanders' father, King Canute IV of Denmark was assassinated in Odense Cathedral in 1086. It is hard to believe that an assassination would occur in a cathedral, the house of God. It appears as though anything is possible.

Abdullah I of Jordan was shot on the way to Friday prayers in 1951, at the front of Al-Aqsa in Jerusalem, because it was thought he might make peace. The assassin almost got 15-year-old Hussein, who was with him.

In 1906 on their wedding day King Alfonso XIII of Spain and Princess Victoria Eugenie were in the bridal coach when a bomb, enclosed in a bouquet, fell to the right of the coach and exploded. Fortunately Alfonso and Victoria lived.
However, if a bomb had gone off in the church where they were getting married, how many Royals would have been killed. The Prince and Princess of Wales, George and Mary were among the guests.

Indeed, if the cathedral had partly collapsed due to a bomb that would have wiped out many members of European royal families.

Apparently Ena arrived at their destination with her wedding dress splattered with blood. And then was criticised by some onlookers for seemingly remaining cool and collected.

Last edited:
'Before the Attack'
Sadly 24 people were killed and 100 wounded in the attack.

415px-Le_Petit_Journal_1906-06-10_Avant_L%27Attentat.jpg

Indeed, if the cathedral had partly collapsed due to a bomb that would have wiped out many members of European royal families.

Apparently Ena arrived at their destination with her wedding dress splattered with blood. And then was apparently criticised by some for seemingly remaining cool and collected.

Poor Ena was very shaken, i thoguht, but she tried to remain calm....

An elaborate memorial was later erected on the site to mark the attack however it was torn down during the Second Republic but in 1963 a new simple monument was installed.

I imagine the wedding would be called off if a deadly attack on a royal wedding happened today. Am I wrong?

I would imagine so but in this case the couple had married at San Jerónimo el Real in this case and were enroute back to the Palacio Real.

I imagine the wedding would be called off if a deadly attack on a royal wedding happened today. Am I wrong?

They had been married. I think they went to see the wounded- and I dont know if they kept the reception....

They attended a State luncheon at which the future George V gave the toast for them both. ‘Not easy’ he wrote ‘after what had happened’. They then went out again by carriage, showing themselves to the people, and following that King Alfonzo visited the wounded. There was a State Banquet that evening, which all the royals and other VIPs attended. So it was what you might call a full day!

They attended a State luncheon at which the future George V gave the toast for them both. ‘Not easy’ he wrote ‘after what had happened’. They then went out again by carriage, showing themselves to the people, and following that King Alfonzo visited the wounded. There was a State Banquet that evening, which all the royals and other VIPs attended. So it was what you might call a full day!
Duty first and self second.

King Sverker I of Sweden reigned from 1130 to December 1156. He was murdered by his own coachman on Christmas Day 1156 while going to church.
It is hard to believe that a person cannot even attend church without being murdered. :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

https://www.ranker.com/list/royal-assassinations-that-changed-the-world/setareh-janda

Twelve royal assassinations that changed history.

Another murder that occurred, as the result of a possible suicide pact, was that of Marie Vetsira, the very young girlfriend of Grand Duke Rudolf, the Crown Prince of Austria, at the hunting Lodge at Mayerling.

Her killer was Prince Rudolf and his subsequent suicide changed the succession to the Austro Hungarian throne. If it hadn’t occurred there might not have been any assassination at Sarajevo in 1914.

Last edited:
The Assassination Of Archduke Franz Ferdinand is probably the one that is best known.

The Mayerling incident in 1889 and the Assassination of the Empress Elisabeth in 1898 were earlier tragic events for the Hapsburgs.

Richard II was said to have been murdered.

Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan was murdered on the 26th of December 1476 as he arrived for St Stephen's Day Mass at Santo Stefano in Milan .

Mafalda of Savoy died while a prisoner at Buchenwald of her injuries and poor medical treatment following an Allied air raid. It's safe to say she was a Nazi murder victim.

Eleanor de Guzman was the mistress of King Alfonso XI of Castile and mother of Enrique II of Castile.
Following the death of the king in 1350 his widow ,queen Maria of Portugal had her revenge and ordered the execution of Leonor in 1351.

640px-La_%C3%BAltima_despedida_%28Museo_del_Prado%29.jpg

Murder of Peter III, Emperor of Russia:

Murder of imprisoned, deposed Tzar Ivan VI Antonovich in the fortress of Shlisselburg:

Queen Genepil (1905-1938) the last queen of Mongolia and the widow of the last Mongol Khan, Bogd Khan

In 1937 she was arrested and was murdered during the 1938 Mongol Communist purges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genepil

Back
Top Bottom