Royals Murdered

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats terrible; was there a reason why?

Marsell gave you a great explanation. In a nutshell, Elizabeth of Bosnia was a victim of political conspiracy. I am not sure if anyone mentioned it, but Elizabeth was strangled before her 16-year-old daughter's eyes.

And may I ask enquire as to why we should no include those executed that is still murder? And which commoners have been included?

We shouldn't discuss the executed ones because execution is not the same as murder. For example, we shouldn't discuss about the death of Mary I of Scotland because she was not murdered. No commoner has been mentioned so far, I was just reminding all of us. We wouldn't this thread to go off topic ;)

I had read your post Marsel, last week but for some strange reason I have not thanked you for it. That was a wonderful explanation and I am glad you took the time to write it :flowers:

It's strange how i used to think that royals to me seemed "untouchable" yet here we are dicussing royals that have been murdered. :lol:

I am glad it helped you, lumutqueen. :flowers:

I have long since come to the conclusion that the 'job' of a Royal is one of the most dangerous professions in the world. Not a minute of quiet life!
They were constantly in fear of being poisoned, stabbed, imprisoned, executed, invaded, producing (or disposing of) an Heir before, and now they have even more terrible enemy: the press, freedom of speech and very sharp photo lenses.

I have long since come to the conclusion that the 'job' of a Royal is one of the most dangerous professions in the world. Not a minute of quiet life!

They were constantly in fear of being poisoned, stabbed, imprisoned, executed, invaded, producing (or disposing of) an Heir before, and now they have even more terrible enemy: the press, freedom of speech and very sharp photo lenses.

And even worse: it's a job you're born to, for many of them, not something they were able to choose or reject.

Maximillian I of Mexico was a member of the Habsburg House who served with distinction in the Navy and as Viceroy of Lombardy and Venetia. In 1859, Napoleon III and Mexican monarchists offered him the crown to be the Emperor of Mexico. After some reluctance, he renounced his Habsburg titles and became Emperor. His brief reign was full of repeated attempts to reform the country but eventually lot financial and military backing from the French Government and was eventually overthrown in 1867, before being executed by republican forces. His last words were said to have been "Mexicans! Today I die for a fair cause: the freedom and independence of Mexico. May God allow my spilling blood to put an end forever to the disgraces of my new homeland. ¡Viva México!"

Attached is a portrait of Maximillian as seen on Wikipedia at Maximilian I of Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• Maximilian_of_Mexico.jpg
    Maximilian_of_Mexico.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 303
Last edited by a moderator:
To be more precise, those murdered in Sarajevo in 1918 were not Archduke and Archduchess of Austria-Hungary, but rather HI&RH Archduke Francis Ferdinand of Austria, Prince of Hungary, the heir to the Habsburg thrones, and his wife, HH the Duchess of Hohenberg. The Archduke's wife was born a countess, so their marriage was morganatic and Sophie was never Archduchess of Austria. Though I'm sure you already know this... :)

I see we haven't had any Swedish royals mentioned. Well, there's king Erik XIV (1533-1577), who was dethrowned by his half-brothers Johan and Karl (who both later became kings as well). He was put in prison, and according to an old tradition, he died there after he had eaten poisoned pea soup.

And there's also King Gustav III (1746-1792), who was shot at a custome party and later died from the injuries.

No, she died in a car accident in Switzerland, near Kussnacht, in 1935.

Royals murdered

Prince Arthur, nephew of King John of England was also murdered.

The History of Roman Empire is so rich with murders that it is just difficult to choose where to start. I still haven't managed to put together a satisfactory list of all major Royals killed during the Roman Empire. Meanwhile, here is the list of murdered Roman Empresses and of Roman Emperors, murdered by the Praetorian Guard (directly or indirectly).

Assassinated Roman Empresses

Julia Agrippina (Agrippina Minor or Agrippina the Younger) - murdered by her son, Emperor Nero (not on the first attempt, mind you - he tried to sink, stab, poison and crash her, and when none worked, he ordered her execution - and had the nerve to maintain it was a suicide).

Milonia Caesonia (4th and final wife of Emperor Caligula) - after Caligula's murder, the assassins went for his wife and infant daughter, Julia Drusilla. Upon learning of her husband's death, Caesonia exposed her bare neck to the assassins and willingly succumbed to death.

Claudia Octavia (first wife of Emperor Nero) - Nero tried to strangle her on several occasions but she survived. He then banished her. Her banishment was so unpopular with the Roman citizens, however, that he almost called her back. Nero's mistress Poppaea (who would later become his 2nd wife), convinced him to murder her instead. Octavia's veins were opened in a traditional Roman suicide ritual, however the poor woman was so frightened that the flow of blood was retarded. She was then suffocated in a hot vapour bath.

Fausta (wife of Constantine I) - she was suffocated in an over-heated bath. Exact reasons are not known, for Constantine always showed great respect for her. Since her death followed of Crispus (Constantine's eldest son by Minervina), most scholars tie their fates. It is believed that Fausta accused Crispus of rape (or attempted rape), for which he was executed, but the story was proved false later. Constantine ordered Fausta's damnatio memoriae (damnation of memory). When her own son became Emperor, he didn't revoke the order, which suggests that she got what she deserved.

Bruttia Crispina – the wife of Emperor Commodus (the one who loved fighting as a gladiator and is supposed to be the Emperor Commodus from the "Gladiator", played by Joaquin Phoenix), was executed, while pregnant on her husband's orders, accused of adultery and/or treason.

Galeria Valeria – She was the daughter of Emperor Diocletian and wife of his co-emperor Galerius. After Galerius’s death, she fled from the new Emperor Licinius and sought sanctuary from Maximinus Daia, whose daughter was engaged to Candidianus, her adoptive son (Valeria had no children of her own, so she adopted her husband's illegitimate children). Maximinus, however was ambitious and sought marriage with her, an offer she refused. She was arrested and her properties confiscated. Emperor Licinius ordered capital punishment for Valeria and she tried to hide in Greece but with no success; she was captured by the mob, beheaded and her body was thrown in the sea.

Poppaea Sabina (second wife of Emperor Nero) - she was either killed by Nero (poisoned or hit severely in the abdomen while pregnant), or died a natural death after childbirth complications. Sabina was not very loved (and given her personality, it is hardly surprising), and neither was Nero (not surprising either), so it is very possible that her death is simply attributed to him, without sufficient proves. He did go into deep mourning after her death, gave her state funeral and divine honours.

Emperors, Murdered by the Praetorian Guard

Caligula - stabbed to death by the Praetorian Guard. They later killed his wife Caesonia (details are given in the previous posts) and his infant daughter (smashing her head against a wall) for good measure.
His death is very similar to that of Julius Caesar. Both were stabbed 30 times by conspirators, both assassination were led by a man named Cassius (Cassius Longinus and Cassius Chaerea).

Galba - Praetorians, discontented by some of Galba's policies, adopted Salvius Otho as their Emperor. Although physically very weak at the time, Galba set out to meet the rebels. He was stabbed to death by the Praetorians; when he saw they want to murder him, he reportedly exposed his neck, saying "Strike, if it be for the good of the Romans". So many people wanted to win Salvius Otho's favour, that more than 120 people claimed the credit for killing Galba. When Vitellius became Emperor, he acquired the list of names of those 120 and every one of them were executed.

Vitellius – Vespasian started a rebellion against the hugely unpopular Vitellius, who agreed to abdicate. However, the Praetorian Guards forced him to return to the palace, when he was on his way to deposit the insignia of Empire. He was stabbed to death; his body was thrown into the Tiber and his dead paraded around Rome.

Pertinax - one of the Emperors during the Year of Four Emperors, his reign lasted only 85 days. The exact reasons why the Praetorian Guard decided to kill him are, however some historians suggest that they had received only half of their promised pay. Some 300 Praetorian soldiers arrived at his house, his personal guard didn't try to stop them (and being so few, they could hardly manage to). Pertinax was advised to flee but chose to try and reason with the guards. He was stabbed to death during his 'reasoning speech'.
It is said that when Pertinax became an Emperor, he refused to grant his wife or son any Imperial titles, for he knew only too well "what comes with the purple". His wife and son were spared, probably because of that decision.

Didius Julianus - After Pertinax's murder, the Praetorians didn't want to take chances with their pay, so they simply sold the Throne to the highest bidder (literally); Didius Julianus offered 25,000 sesterces to every soldier. Since he was backed by the Praetorian Guard, the Senate had little choice but to accept him as Emperor. The public didn't like the 'auction' very much though and wherever Julianus appeared, he was saluted with groans and shouts of 'robber and parricide' and had stones thrown at him. Generals in different parts of the Empire refused to recognize his authority. One of them, Severus progressed towards Rome and defeated the small group of Praetorian Guards, sent to halt his progress (it should be noted that while Severus commanded some of the best soldiers of the Empire, the Praetorian Guards didn't know active service for many years, were undisciplined and lacked able commanders). Julianus offered to share the Empire with Severus but the offer was refused. The Praetorians, sensing danger, made a pact with Severus and the Senate; they named the actual murders of Pertinax and abandoned Julianus. In return, they were promised they wouldn't suffer any punishment. The Senate proclaimed Severus Emperor, awarded divine honours to Pertinax and sentenced Julianus to death. Julianus was killed by one of the Praetorian Guards, 3rd month into his reign.
The irony is that Julianus had actually nothing to do with Pertinax's murder, was an amiable and generally good-natured man, whose only crime was to try and buy the Empire. His last words were supposed to be "But what evil have I done? Whom have I killed?"

Caracalla - Edward Gibbon would later write of this Emperor that he was 'the enemy of all mankind, who travelled from province to province so that each could experience his cruelty and rapine'. He was the son of Emperor Severus and succeeded him as an Emperor. He was killed by a Praetorian Guard; although hugely unpopular, the reasons for his murder was not political; the brother of the guard who killed him had been executed days earlier by Caracalla on an unproven charge. The guard was also resentful at not being promoted to the rank of centurion. However, there is also strong evidence to suggest that Caracalla died as a result of conspiracy and that the Praetorian Prefect of the Guard, Macrinus, who succeeded him as Emperor was part of it.

Elagabalus - Elagabalus' eccentricities increasingly infuriated the soldiers of the Praetorian Guard. To try and make peace with the Praetorians, Elagabalus names his cousin, Severus Alexander, as his heir, bestowed him the title of Caesar an shared the consulship with him. Severus Alexander, despite being only 13, was immensely popular with the Praetorians. Some time later Elagabalus suspected he was a little too popular, so he spread the rumour that Severus Alexander was dying, to see how the Praetorians would react. A riot ensued and the guards demanded to see Severus Alexander. When Elagabalus and Severus Alexander arrived at the camp, the latter was cheered, while the former was totally ignored. Enraged, Elagabalus ordered the execution of everyone, who had taken part in the riot. He was very unwise to give the order in front of the Praetorians, who immediately attacked him; he tried to escape in a chest but was found and slain. Elagabalus was only 18 at the time. A damnatio memoriae was decreed upon him.

Balbinus and Pupienus - Although Romans thought they saw the worse during the Year of the Four Emperors, they were yet to see the Year of Six Emperors - Balbinus, Pupienus, Maximinus, Gordian I, Gordian II and Gordian III.
Balbinus was one of the six Emperors of 238 (a joint Emperor with Pupienus, actually). He was in his 70's when he became an Emperor; he was in his 70's when he died too, for his reign lasted less than 4 months. When Gordian I and Gordian II (father and son) were proclaimed Emperors in Africa, the Senate, in turn, chose their own Emperors and appointed Balbinus and Pupienus co-Emperors. A quarrel of influences emerged between Balbinus and Pupienus. The Praetorian Guard solved the question with their favourite method; they simply assassinated both n the Imperial Palace.
Maximinus was killed before them (by Pupienus), Gordian I, Gordian II and Gordian III would join them shortly afterwards.

Gordian I and Gordian II - although neither were actually killed by the Praetorian Guard, the Praetorians certainly contributed to their deaths. Gordian II was killed in a battle, abandoned by his guards. Gordian I took his own life after the death of his son, again abandoned by his guards. Although they 'reigned' for some 60 days, they were not unpopular; both were proclaimed Emperors after Maximinus Thrax killed Emperor Alexander Severus and assumed the throne. Maximinus Thrax was hugely unpopular and both Gordians campaigned against him (although it was another of the Emperors - Pupienus, who actually defeated and killed Maximinus). However, they had to command untrained soldiers and had little success in the military field, which eventually led to deep dissatisfaction among the Praetorians, who effectively abandoned them. That, in turn, led to their deaths. Gordian I's grandson and Gordian II's cousin, Gordian III (the son of Antonia Gordiana) succeeded them as Emperor (all in less than a year's time)

Gordian III - Gordian III was 13 when he became an Emperor. He was 19 when he died. The actual Ruling was done by Gordian's father-in-law, praetorian prefect Timesitheus. When Shapur I of Persia invaded Mesopotamia, Timesitheus and Gordian led a successful campaign against Persian King. The campaign came to abrupt halt after Timesitheus death (although reasons of his death are unknown, it is almost certain he was murdered by Marcus Julius Philippus, better known as Philip the Arab, who succeeded him as praetorian prefect). Philip the Arab didn't manage to lead a successful campaign and the Romans suffered a heavy defeat in the Battle of Misiche. Gordian died following the battle, but not on the battlefield or from wounds sustained during the battle. It is almost certain that he was murdered by Philip the Arab, or more probably, by Praetorian Guards sent by Philip the Arab, who succeeded him as Emperor.
Despite his young age, Gordian was immensely popular with the Romans; the Senate, in order to appease the population and settle down riots that started in Gordian's name, deified the late Emperor (despite strong opposition from Philip the Arab).

Aurelian - Aurelian was certainly one of the most able Emperors Rome ever had. He was, however, extremely strict and severely punished corrupt officials and soldiers. One of Aurelian's minor secretaries had told a lie on an insignificant issue. Afraid of punishment, he forged a document listing the names of high and important officials marked by the Emperor for execution. The high-ranking officers of the Praetorian Guard, fearing for their lives, murdered him during Aurelian's campaign against the Persians.

Probus - During one of Probus's eastern campaigns, he learnt that Marcus Aurelius Carus, commander of the Praetorian Guard, had been proclaimed Emperor. Probus sent troops against the new Emperor, however the troops changed sides and supported Marcus Aurelius Carus. The Praetorian Guards that remained with Probus assassinated him and joined Marcus Aurelius as well.

Nero - although Nero committed a suicide, he only decided to do so after the Praetorian Guard abandoned him and he was effectively left defenceless. His death marked the beginning of the Year of the Four Emperors.

Queen Mary of Scots was murdered she was beheaded.
King Faisal I of Saudi Arabia was murdered by his nephew.

"Royal Murders" by Dulce M Ashdown

Currently re-reading this - and loving it.

ArchDuke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, assasinated

Now that article on the princesse de Lamballe indeed gives little room for imagination. I believe they paraed her head on a spike in front of the window of Marie Antoinette's prison.

The November 2008 newsletter had a couple of stories on plots to murder royalty:
Assassination of Prince William I of Orange

*shudders*
Our Dutch ancestors were quite thorough.
:ohmy:

King Henri IV of France (III of Navarre), murdered by François Ravaillac on May 14, 1610.

Four centuries later, it's still unknown who ordered the murder, though Ravaillac maintained he acted alone. However he had met people from a former mistress of Henri IV before...And Henri's wife Marie de Medici was also a suspect. She had finally been crowned Queen of France (it was not automatically accorded to the King's wife) the day before the assassination.

King Henri IV of France (III of Navarre), murdered by François Ravaillac on May 14, 1610.

Four centuries later, it's still unknown who ordered the murder, though Ravaillac maintained he acted alone. However he had met people from a former mistress of Henri IV before...And Henri's wife Marie de Medici was also a suspect. She had finally been crowned Queen of France (it was not automatically accorded to the King's wife) the day before the assassination.

And Marie became Regent of France!

Following the assassination of Henri IV,the Coronation of French Queen Consorts was discontinued as it was deemed 'unlucky' :sad:

And Marie became Regent of France!

Following the assassination of Henri IV,the Coronation of French Queen Consorts was discontinued as it was deemed 'unlucky' :sad:

Exactly! Though not being crowned wasn't a problem for Anne of Austria to become Regent for her son Louis XIV, 33 years later.

In mediival times, King Louis X (Margaret of Burgundy's husband) is also rumored to have been poisoned by Countess Mahaut of Artois. The Countess's daughter Jeanne was the wife of Louis X's presumptive heir, Philiippe V...so then Mahaut became mother of the Queen consort.

Exactly! Though not being crowned wasn't a problem for Anne of Austria to become Regent for her son Louis XIV, 33 years later.

In mediival times, King Louis X (Margaret of Burgundy's husband) is also rumored to have been poisoned by Countess Mahaut of Artois. The Countess's daughter Jeanne was the wife of Louis X's presumptive heir, Philiippe V...so then Mahaut became mother of the Queen consort.

I never heard that before but thank you!

It would explain her presence in Les Rois Maudits.

Well there was the royal family of Nepal massacre that can only be described as a horrible scene like a school massacre

The murder of the czarina and her family In the hands of the Bolsheviks in Ekaterinburg along with the czar's cousins,nephew, brother and sister in law

Empress Elisabeth of Austria, queen of Hungary she was stabbed in the heart but the corset she was wearing kept her alive until they removed it

So sad when a young royal dies or when a royal in general dies

Prince Magnus Birgersson of Sweden, executed in 1320, 20 years old.

Princess Diana of wales and empress Elisabeth of Austria were certainly two tragic royals who married the heir and didn't have a loving marriage.

Queen Marie Antoinette of France and czarina Alexandra fyodorovna of Russia have many similarities and yet both were killed one by revolutionaries and the other by Bolsheviks. They were all innocent that it is sad that they didn't die peacefully I woul like to add princess grace of Monaco,because like Diana she was a memorable royal.

Princess diana- car crash in Paris
Princess grace- car crash
Czarina Alexandra- shot with family by squad
Queen Marie Antoinette - guillotined
Empress Elisabeth- stabbed in the heart.

Unlike their wives their husbands vary in lives
Prince Charles - alive and remarried
Prince rainier III- grieved grace's death till death
Czar Nicholas II - murdered with wife and children
King Louis XVI - guillotined

:previous:Oh, I do hope you are not insinuating that Diana was murdered.

Back
Top Bottom