Royals Visiting Australia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huddo

Commoner
Country
Australia
Besides the British Royals and The Danes what other Royals have paid official visits to Australia, and when?....

Didn't the King and Queen of Sweden pay a visit to Australia this past November? I thought that I had read that over the web some months back.

Correct, HM King Carl XVI Gustav and HM Queen Silvia visited Western Australia and South Australia last November. In march last year, HRH Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden also paid a visit to launch various 'Swedish style' events.

His Majesty King Constantine II of the Hellens has visited Australia numerous times in his capacity as head of the international movement, Round Square.

The Grandson of HIH Grand Duchess Xenia Aledandrovna, Michael Andreevich Romanov, lives in Sydney.

Her Late Majesty Queen Susan of Albania, was born Susan Cullen-Ward and was Australian.

HRH Princess Michael of Kent went to school in Australia, though she counts as Austrlian nobility, not Royalty.

HH Princess Tamara Czartoryski-Borbon (of The Spanish House of Borbon and Polish Czartoryskis), was in Australia last year for the filming of 'Australian Princess', and visiting friends.

These are but a few exambles of non-British and non-Danish Royals in Australia. (I've tried to give you a good smattering from various countries).

The King and Queen of Spain as well as some other spanish royal members cam to Sydney for the Olympics.

Princess Mette-Marit was an exchange student and came to Australia to study for a short while.

Sophie- Countess of Wessex toured and lived in Australia before her marriage.

Last edited:
Princess Martha Louise of Norway was another at the Sydney Olympics, as was Prince Nikolas of Greece

I remeber prince Claus (and Queen Beatrix) in Australia, where he denied to the press that he ever wore grey shoes (as a australian newspaper reported that about him ;)) Willem-Alexander was there during the Olympics and he and Maxima will go there this fall.

I believe so but I do not know the exact date yet. It is to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the dutch-australian discovery.

Marengo said:
I remeber prince Claus (and Queen Beatrix) in Australia, where he denied to the press that he ever wore grey shoes (as a australian newspaper reported that about him ;)) Willem-Alexander was there during the Olympics and he and Maxima will go there this fall.

Woohoo!! How exciting!! Hope they come to Melbourne!! :)

I believe so but I do not know the exact date yet. It is to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the dutch-australian discovery.

Can I ask how it can be a 400th anniversary, when I Australia has only been a country for around 200 years, according to what we are taught at school? Althought the Dutch might have come here before Australia was a country, so I could be completely wrong! Just wishing to clarify

JessRulz said:
Can I ask how it can be a 400th anniversary, when I Australia has only been a country for around 200 years, according to what we are taught at school? Althought the Dutch might have come here before Australia was a country, so I could be completely wrong! Just wishing to clarify
I don't know what they teach these days, but at school we learnt that Willem Jantzen (now Jansoon) was the first European to be known to have made landfall on the Australian continent (at Weipa, Cape York) in 1605. He was follwed by Dirk Hartog (also Dutch) who landed at Shark Bay in Western Australia in 1616.

Friedrich Leopold, the Prince of Ysenburg is at uni with me in Australia at the moment... But I don't think that counts as an official visit.

Warren said:
I don't know what they teach these days, but at school we learnt that Willem Jantzen (now Jansoon) was the first European to be known to have made landfall on the Australian continent (at Weipa, Cape York) in 1605. He was follwed by Dirk Hartog (also Dutch) who landed at Shark Bay in Western Australia in 1616.

Thanks for clearing that up Warren. Now it all makes sense how its a 400-year anniversary!

Must talk to Mr Howard about what we are learning....;)

JessRulz said:
Must talk to Mr Howard about what we are learning....;)

No Jess, you need to talk to one of our glorious state governments, who are responsible for the content set throughout schools..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom