Royals Converted to Other Denominations & Faiths

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1) King Otto is not an example taken from "a few centuries ago". He was the first monarch of modern Greece, which, we should not forget, was founded only in the 19th century, and reigned until 1862. Not yesterday, but still proper modern era history, clearly.
The reason why his example is important is because it set such a precedent in Greek affairs, that forced the next king and dynasty to institutionalize the 'Orthodoxy of the throne', -a provision which has survived the country's passing on to republican constitution; as confessing the Orthodox creed remains a constitutional requirement for the now-elected leader of the Greek state.

2) It is a very frequent custom especially in diaspora that Orthodox services are carried in temples of other denominations. Yet this is only practical facilitation (and usually there is a kind of rent for the use of the space), and has nothing to do with common worship. In fact the Orthodox priest can not hold a mass in an altar consecrated by an other church -should he use their space for the service, he carries with him, instead, the 'antiminsion', the vestment that can function as the equivalent to an Orthodox altar for services outside the premises of an Orthodox church.

In the case of Princess Alexia, it's the first time I hear that her son was christened Catholic. It is certainly kept private; and in any case, we talk about a junior royal -in no meaningful place in the line of succession, or with any prospects of any public role in Greece. And it increasingly seems that the latter is also the case for his mother. As a permanent resident of Spain -and with spanish as the main language in her household-, she makes her own private choices in those matters.

3) Yes, the Catholic Church since the Second Vatican Council (I think) does accept the sacraments of other denominations -including the Orthodox. Yet, this is not BY ANY MEANS true in the Orthodox Church. There has been no decision of any autonomous Orthodox church that accepts such principle, and, for whoever knows the Orthodox, there will never be. I live in an Orthodox country and am aware how far Orthodox mentality is from accepting such a principle or practice.

I did not mean to imply that about the the Orthodoxy diaspora. I was really only stating what you stated in your post's second point. No harm meant/didn't mean to offend you or anybody else. You got way more out of my post than I meant for anybody to. An aside - seems the Roman Catholic Church is more accepting of other religions and religious beliefs and have always been taught that by my "Church." Again no offense meant.

Your described scenario is from a few centuries ago. Within the past 10 years or so, HRH Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark, who lives in Lanzarote, the Canary Islands, Spain, was able to baptize her 3 daughters into the Greece Orthodox faith in her local Catholic church. Permission was received from the Holy See as well as the appropriate powers - that - be of the Greek Orthodox faith. Her son was baptized there also, but he was baptized Roman Catholic, his father's faith. The Catholic Church will accept the sacraments/rites of Eastern Orthodox churches and perform them on behalf these churches, especially in areas where there are few to no Eastern Orthodox churches. People and official church doctrine of most religions, especially in the western world, have had much progression and continue to move forward. Do they disagree - yes, but they will hopefully continue to progress and continue to move forward, especially with atheism and Islam knocking on Christianity's door.

Just a small correction . All children Princess Alexia including her son Carlos baptized as Orthodox.

Just a small correction . All children Princess Alexia including her son Carlos baptized as Orthodox.

Well then I stand corrected - just repeated what I saw that in another part of this forum. :)

Nazli Sabri,queen and queen mother of Egypt converted from Islam to Roman Catholicism which must have caused quite a stir at the time.

catholic, protestant, even orthodox are different types of christianity. thus those people are changing denominations, not religions

as for the khazars, the conversion was not universal. they also accepted other religions and did not force their populace to become jewish when their khagan did

As did the Mongol Khanates in general:

Mongol Empire and Religious Freedom | HistoryOnTheNet

I have a strong feeling that @the very least SOME of the Khazarian Royalty/Nobility quite possibly embraced BOTH Tengriism, *&* Judaism, (as well as maybe other belief-system(s)), because, after all, it IS possible to be a Jewish/Hebraic-Wiccan &/or a Generic Pagan, a HinJew, (Jewish Hindu), &/or a JuBu, (a Jewish Buddhist), etc.!!

SIDE-NOTE: For the record, I'm an Eclectic Pagan, (always have been, always will be in my beliefs, probably in previous lifetimes as well, definitely in future incarnations as well!!), & I identify with *ALL* of the above, & many other spiritualities of various sorts as well!!

I don't doubt it. however, there is very little documentary evidence for the khazars. and, as we are considering individual beliefs, we will never be certain. I am also aware of early mongol tolerance. however, this became less so after they converted to islsm

As did the Mongol Khanates in general:

Mongol Empire and Religious Freedom | HistoryOnTheNet

I have a strong feeling that @the very least SOME of the Khazarian Royalty/Nobility quite possibly embraced BOTH Tengriism, *&* Judaism, (as well as maybe other belief-system(s)), because, after all, it IS possible to be a Jewish/Hebraic-Wiccan &/or a Generic Pagan, a HinJew, (Jewish Hindu), &/or a JuBu, (a Jewish Buddhist), etc.!!

SIDE-NOTE: For the record, I'm an Eclectic Pagan, (always have been, always will be in my beliefs, probably in previous lifetimes as well, definitely in future incarnations as well!!), & I identify with *ALL* of the above, & many other spiritualities of various sorts as well!!

I do realize there are many forms/types of spiritualality in ever corner of the world, and person's beliefs are their own. But when someone posts about identifying with being a JuBu, amongst the various others you stated, it was for the "shock" value rather than for information purposes. This topic is about royals who convert to other religions, and not about our own religious or spiritual beliefs.

I do realize there are many forms/types of spiritualality in ever corner of the world, and person's beliefs are their own.

I agree someone's beliefs are private and no ones else's business. Its 2016 I think its silly that people are still being made to convert before they can marry someone. People have enough problems they don't need to add religion to the mix. If you truly love someone your not going care what religion they are or believe in. I think its a practice this royal houses need to do away with.

I agree someone's beliefs are private and no ones else's business. Its 2016 I think its silly that people are still being made to convert before they can marry someone. People have enough problems they don't need to add religion to the mix. If you truly love someone your not going care what religion they are or believe in. I think its a practice this royal houses need to do away with.

It isn't always the royal house that has the rules however but the law of the land - or in the case of the BRF - the law in 16 countries all of which would have to pass the necessary legislation.

In addition it makes sense in the UK as the Supreme Governor of the Church of England is also the Monarch. It therefore makes complete sense that the monarch is a communicant member of the church of which they will be Supreme Governor and thus the person who appoints the leaders of that church.

I don't think anyone would expect that the Pope would be anything other than a Roman Catholic but the argument seems to be trotted out that the Monarch of the UK can be of any religion and thus the leader of the CoE won't be CoE. If the monarch has to be of the CoE it also makes sense that the senior members of the family are also of that same denomination.

It isn't always the royal house that has the rules however but the law of the land - or in the case of the BRF - the law in 16 countries all of which would have to pass the necessary legislation.

In addition it makes sense in the UK as the Supreme Governor of the Church of England is also the Monarch. It therefore makes complete sense that the monarch is a communicant member of the church of which they will be Supreme Governor and thus the person who appoints the leaders of that church.

I don't think anyone would expect that the Pope would be anything other than a Roman Catholic but the argument seems to be trotted out that the Monarch of the UK can be of any religion and thus the leader of the CoE won't be CoE. If the monarch has to be of the CoE it also makes sense that the senior members of the family are also of that same denomination.

If I understand it correctly, the OP's discussion was not about monarchs per se, but rather about people who had to convert to marry a royal. As far as I know, none of the surviving monarchies in Europe currently have a legal requirement that a royal consort be of any particular religion. Yet, Prince Henrik, Princess Mary and Princess Marie converted to Lutheranism before joining the Danish Royal family; Meghan Markle will be baptized in the Church of England prior to marrying Prince Henry; and Queen Sofia converted to Catholicism when she marrried Don Juan Carlos.

Note that Catholicism only ceased to be the official state religion in Spain in 1979, so maybe Sofia's conversion at the time of her wedding was required, but I'm not sure. Similarly, Queen Anne-Marie also became Greek Orthodox when she married King Constantine, but someone in this forum said that was legally required (I don't know either).

Kudos for Máxima Zorreguieta (IMHO) for acting according to her conscience and remaining Roman Catholic despite the pressure to convert and become Dutch Reformed. She was forced though to agree to marry and baptize her daughters in the Protestant church.

Last edited:
Queen Sofia’s conversion wasn’t required but was certainly desirable in Spain. She converted a few weeks after her wedding, not before, but she had signed a pledge to Pope St John XXIII before her marriage promising to raise all her children as Roman Catholics whether she herself eventually converted or not. Queen Sofia has said that she did not see it as a conversion, she simply accepted Papal authority.

Converting to another Christian denomination isn't "converting to another religion". But I think in today's world, it really should not be necessary for a wife or husband to do so... if they don't sincerely believe it...

Queen Sofia’s conversion wasn’t required but was certainly desirable in Spain. She converted a few weeks after her wedding, not before, but she had signed a pledge to Pope St John XXIII before her marriage promising to raise all her children as Roman Catholics whether she herself eventually converted or not. Queen Sofia has said that she did not see it as a conversion, she simply accepted Papal authority.

I was told she still attends Orthodox services when she is in Greece, so I am not sure how genuine her "conversion" is. On her pledge to the Pope, isn't a pledge to raise future children as Catholics is a general requirement for anyone to be married in the Roman Catholic Church ?

It’s semantics but the Roman Catholic Church would see it as reception into the church in this instance not conversion. But from the Greek Orthodox Church’s point of view, it would have been regarded as conversion. It’s a sticking point left over from the Great Schism of 1054. However, that’s really me being very nitpicky!

On the issue of the pledge made to the Pope, yes and no. Dispensations (pre-Vatican II) were issued on an individual basis and so some were more lenient than others. In some cases, the dispensation allowed for boys to be raised as Protestants and girls to be raised as Roman Catholics. The dispensation for Juan Carlos and Sofia also included a clause in which Sofia promised not to try to convert Juan Carlos to Orthodoxy.

Not sure when she married but until the 1970s it was the case that people marrying an RC had to promise to bring the children up RC. but she may attend other services, without giving up being RC. I occasionally attend services in other denominations and so do many people.

Royals Converted To Other Religions

Queen Sofia could absolutely attend Greek Orthodox services but she wouldn’t receive communion there as Rome doesn’t allow Catholics to receive communion in other traditions. However, Orthodox Christians can receive the Eucharist in Roman Catholic Churches with the permission of their local Bishop. This is usually not extended for a long period of time. However, Orthodox Churches do not recognise this arrangement and discourage the practice.

Queen Sofia could absolutely attend Greek Orthodox services but she wouldn’t receive communion there as Rome doesn’t allow Catholics to receive communion in other traditions. However, Orthodox Christians can receive the Eucharist in Roman Catholic Churches with the permission of their local Bishop. This is usually not extended for a long period of time. However, Orthodox Churches do not recognise this arrangement and discourage the practice.

My doubt was exactly whether she still receives communion in a Greek Orthodox church when she is Greece. I suspect she wouldn't do it in public, would she ?

I very much doubt she does. Even in private. It’s considered to be “illicit” under Canon Law. There is a sort of loop hole which falls under the umbrella of ecumenism but I very much doubt Queen Sofia would make use of that. Or that she would seek any special permission.

Princess Louise Hollandine of the Palatinate (1622-1709) was a daughter of Frederick V of the Palatinate and King of Bohemia. Originally a Protestant, Louise went to France in December 1675. In France she converted to the Roman Catholic faith.

Chakma King Tridev Roy was offered the Presidency of Pakistan in exchange for converting from Buddhism to Islam by Pakistani Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. He declined the offer. He served as a minister for life and ambassador to several countries.

But the law of Britain bars not only non-Protestants (it requires communion with the Church of England, but not necessarily membership), but in addition bars former Catholics (but not former members of any other church or religion) even if they have converted to Protestantism and are members of the Church of England, from being the monarch of the UK. It makes no sense that a member of the Church of England who is e.g. an ex-Buddhist is allowed to serve as monarch and appoint the leaders of that church, but not a member of the Church of England who is an ex-Catholic.

When his father died in 1575, Edward Fortunatus of Baden became the Margrave of Baden-Rodenmachern. His guardian was Duke William V of Baden. William gave him a Catholic upbringing. In 1584 Edward converted from Lutheranism to Catholicism.

When his father died in 1575, Edward Fortunatus of Baden became the Margrave of Baden-Rodenmachern. His guardian was Duke William V of Baden. William gave him a Catholic upbringing. In 1584 Edward converted from Lutheranism to Catholicism.

His mother,Princess Cecilia of Sweden also converted to Catholicism from Lutheranism in 1577.

lossy-page1-378px-Ok%C3%A4nd_kvinna%2C_tidigare_kallad_Cecilia_Vasa%2C_1540-1627%2C_prinsessa_av_Sverige_markgrevinna_av_Ba_-_Nationalmuseum_-_15111.tif.jpg

Did Bảo Đại,the last Emperor of Vietnam convert to Catholicism,his 1st wife Empress Nam Phương was Roman Catholic.

Could we please distinguish between denominations and religions?

A Catholic becoming Anglican is not converting to a different religion, nor is a Catholic becoming Lutheran (or the other way around). It is about changing your affiliation/denomination within the religion 'Christianity'.

A Christian becoming Muslim (or the other way around - but that seems to happen less in the royal world), is indeed converting to a different religion.

Last edited:
:previous: You are perfectly correct, and thank you for clarifying that.;)

:previous: You are perfectly correct, and thank you for clarifying that.;)

Its been said before, but people do stil tend to dsiscuss "conversion" between the different branches of Christianity...

:previous: Yes, that is also true, and i don't believe it's incorrect to speak of conversion from Orthodox or Catholic beliefs to Fundamentalism. Happens all the time.

:previous: Yes, that is also true, and i don't believe it's incorrect to speak of conversion from Orthodox or Catholic beliefs to Fundamentalism. Happens all the time.

if you mean fundamentalist Christianity, it is not converstion to a different religion

Back
Top Bottom