The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmeleia View Post
What about Alexia of Greece? Her husband Carlos Morales and their children?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
I believe that Alexia, Carlos, and the children are Greek Orthodox. I thought that the christenings have taken place in a Greek Orthodox church, as well as their wedding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
yes, the children of Alexia are baptised Greek orthodox,, from the thread greek royal family baptism of Amelia
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
I am correct that Carlos Morales remains Catholic? My understanding was that Princess Alexia is no longer in the line of succession to the British throne because she married a Catholic. Her children, however, are in the line of succession because they are Orthodox.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

That will change when the Succession to the Crown Act finally passes in Australia and then becomes effective as the new laws will return everyone who is married to a Roman Catholic to the line of succession, but not those who are actually Roman Catholic.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDweller View Post
Queen Marie of Bavaria (Marie of Prussia; 1825-1889) converted to Catholicism from Lutheranism.

It's also interesting the royals who did NOT convert when changing countries. Astrid of Sweden remained a Lutheran when marrying into the Catholic Belgian royal family.
That is not correct. Astrid converted to Catholicism and insisted that it was a willing conversion out of personal conviction and not just an obligation to her husband and country.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

As far as I'm aware Astrid only converted to Catholicism a few years after her wedding but not straight away.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaatje View Post
Is keeping an original faith accepted today? For example: A Catholic princess of Belgium wanted to marry the Lutheran crown prince of Denmark. I'm not entirely certain, but I believe that there is a clause in the constitution that says members of the royal family must be Lutheran. If the princess did not want to give up her faith, would the marriage be allowed? Or, would parliament issue a special law (as they do for immediate citizenship of spouses of Danish royalty) for that princess if she agreed to raise her children in the Lutheran faith?
I believe the Danish constitution only says that the monarch must be Lutheran. In practice, however, all non-Lutherans who have married recently into the DRF have converted.

In Sweden, the Act of Succession says that both the monarch and all "princes (or princesses) of the royal house" must be members of the Lutheran Church of Sweden. A prince or princess who converts to another faith loses his/her place in the line of succession.

In the Netherlands, the royal house of Orange-Nassau is historically associated with the Dutch Reformed Church (now the "Protestant Church in the Netherlands", or PKN), which is Calvinist/Presbyterian, but there is no legal requirement that the king or members of the royal family be Protestant. In the past, a non-Protestant bride/groom could have trouble getting the consent of the Dutch parliament to marry a royal (it was certainly an issue when Princess Irene and Princess Christina were engaged). Nowadays affiliated Protestants are only 18 % or so of the Dutch population though (most people are secular/non-religious), and I don't think that is an issue anymore. Willem-Alexander married Maxima, who is Catholic and didn't convert, but Maxima agreed to get married and baptize their 3 daughters in the Protestant Church. W-A himself is said to be a committed Protestant, though not as openly as some of his ancestors. He has been criticized occasionally by the leadership of the PKN for "hiding" his religion in public (e.g. not using biblical references in his Christmas speeches etc.).

In the UK, the law says that, in order to be in the line of succession, a person must be a Protestant descendant of Sophia of Hanover. In addition, the monarch must be in communion with the Church of England (i.e. the Anglican/Episcopalian church). Until recently, marrying a Roman Catholic also constituted legal grounds for exclusion from the line of succession, but that provision has been now (retroactively) repealed by the Succession to the Crown Act 2013. Since princes and princesses of the United Kingdom could not marry Catholics (or else face exclusion from the succession), senior princes/princesses traditionally turned to other Protestant sovereign families to find suitable brides/grooms, usually from Germany, Scandinavia, or the Netherlands.

Spain historically had a Catholic monarchy. In fact, Spain was the leading European nation in the counter-reformation movement and the Catholic inquisition. The modern constitution of 1979, however, ended the status of Roman Catholicism as the established state religion and that there is no longer a requirement that the king or the royal family be Catholic. In practice, they are Catholic though and it is unlikely that will change any time soon. Queen Sofia, who was Greek Orthodox, converted to Catholicism after marrying Juan Carlos.

The Kingdom of Belgium on the other hand was born in a revolution, which, among other things, was against both absolute monarchy and Protestant rule. Ironically though, independent Belgium's first king, Leopold I, was a Protestant (Lutheran), who had been even married before to the heiress presumptive to the British throne. Leopold later married however the daughter of King Louis Philippe of the French and raised his children as Catholics. The Belgian Royal Family has been Catholic since then although, again, that is not required by law. Princess Astrid of Sweden, who was Lutheran, converted to Catholicism after marrying into the family.

In the old Kingdom of France, only Catholic male descendants in male line of Hugh Capet could ascend the throne. As mentioned before, Henri of Navarre, the first Bourbon king of France, converted from Calvinism to Catholicism to become King Henri IV.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
As far as I'm aware Astrid only converted to Catholicism a few years after her wedding but not straight away.
Because the priest she consulted after getting married apparently told her it had to be a "genuine conversion", and not just a protocolary one. Or at least that is what Wikipedia says. Apparently, when she converted, she did it on her free will and out of conviction.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:06 PM
Courtier

Thanks, Mbruno, for the above summary you provided relating to the religion and requirements of the different monarchies. Very interesting. Do you also have similar info for other Royal houses such as Norway, Monaco, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 06-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was born Catholic, but joined the Church of Sweden when he became crown prince Karl Johan. His wife, Désirée Clary, remained a Catholic.
His son Oscar had also been born a Catholic, and joined the Church of Sweden when his father became crown prince. He married Joséphine of Leuchtenberg, a Catholic and she remained so her whole life.

Queen Sofia, wife of Oscar II, was a Lutheran, but she and her son Oscar, prince Bernadotte, were very much involved in the Swedish Evangelical movement, a part of the Holiness movement, although I don't think they left the Church of Sweden.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Did HRH Princess Birgitta of Sweden convert to Catholicism when she married HSH Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Did HRH Princess Birgitta of Sweden convert to Catholicism when she married HSH Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern?
Yes, she did. She and her children are Catholics.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Blue Butler View Post
Really? Well, now I'm confused. I've never heard about Charlene being a calvinist
But isn't presbyterianism an english/scottish version of calvinism?
Yes, it is. Calvinist churches are normally called "Reformed" in continental Europe (e.g. the Netherlands, France, Switzerland, etc.) and "Presbyterian" in England, Scotland, the US, and other English-speaking countries. Likewise, in South Africa, the Calvinist churches of British origin are called "Presbyterian", whereas the Calvinist churches that were introduced in the country by the Dutch colonists in the 17th and 18th centuries are called "Dutch Reformed". Presbyterian churches in South Africa use English as language of worship, whereas South African Dutch Reformed churches use Afrikaans (a West Germanic language spoken in South Africa that is derived from Dutch, but has been a separate standard language since the early 20th century).
Old 07-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Yes, she did. She and her children are Catholics.
I beleive she she erself remained protestant but was married in a catholic Ceremony and the children where raised as catholics.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I'ts natural every royal to change the religion. Know anyone someone to don't change?
Old 07-25-2015, 02:49 PM
Majesty

The ones who do not marry outside their respective faiths don't have to change/convert.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I'ts natural every royal to change the religion. Know anyone someone to don't change?
Máxima did not change her religion. She requested formal dispensation from the Roman-Catholic Church for a marriage with the (protestant) Prince of Orange. She got that permission. Until the day of today Queen Máxima is a Roman-Catholic.

Picture: (then) Princess Máxima and the Prince of Orange attend a Roman-Catholic Mass.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The wives of the ex Kings Michael of Romania and Simeon II of Bulgaria I believe are Roman Catholics whilst their husbands are Eastern Orthodox Christians.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Máxima did not change her religion. She requested formal dispensation from the Roman-Catholic Church for a marriage with the (protestant) Prince of Orange. She got that permission. Until the day of today Queen Máxima is a Roman-Catholic.

Picture: (then) Princess Máxima and the Prince of Orange attend a Roman-Catholic Mass.

Why was (then) Princess Máxima wearing a veil ? As far as I know, it is no longer customary for women to wear veils when attending mass. Was the photo perhaps taken during a mass celebrated by the Pope (in which case I believe a veil is still worn) ?
Old 07-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From memory Maxima wore a matilla as it was a solemn Mass for a retiring Dutch Bishop,I might be wrong about the occassion.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Why was (then) Princess Máxima wearing a veil ? As far as I know, it is no longer customary for women to wear veils when attending mass. Was the photo perhaps taken during a mass celebrated by the Pope (in which case I believe a veil is still worn) ?
Máxima always wears a veil when attending Mass.

Máxima in the Cathedral Basilica of Saint-Bavo, Haarlem

Maxima in the Cathedral of the Saints Laurentius and Elisabeth, Rotterdam

Máxima in the Cathedral of the Saints Laurentius and Elisabeth, Rotterdam (another Mass)

Máxima in the Duomo di Parma

Máxima at the Village Church in Wassenaar
Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

In some parts of Europe and Latin America women still cover their heads during Mass, depending on the event. Papal Masses feature all of the Catholic Royal women with their heads covered.

Princesses Charlene and Caroline of Monaco routinely wear a mantilla for requiem Masses.

Tags
religion