Royals Who Became Monarchs Of Another Country

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmmmm.....never heard of it but its an interesting idea

oskana said:
hmmmm.....never heard of it but its an interesting idea
I think the relevant point from the article is that the Bendictine Abbott "conferred the title of prince upon himself" after buying the land from a Count.

And that bit about "constitutional experts" claiming that it cannot be considered part of the Italian Republic is a nonsense. Whatever happened with the demise of the Holy Roman Empire, or at the Congress of Vienna, has no relevance to the formation of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861.

A "principality" for gullible tourists and stamp collectors?

Warren said:
I think the relevant point from the article is that the Bendictine Abbott "conferred the title of prince upon himself" after buying the land from a Count.

And that bit about "constitutional experts" claiming that it cannot be considered part of the Italian Republic is a nonsense. Whatever happened with the demise of the Holy Roman Empire, or at the Congress of Vienna, has no relevance to the formation of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861.

A "principality" for gullible tourists and stamp collectors?

Interesting Warren. Thanks for responding.

Elected monarchs throughout history

I thought it would be interesting to look at some situations through history where a monarch has been elected.
King George I of Greece-Born a Danish Prince-Elected King of Greece at age 17.

Prince Alexander I of Bulgaria was elected in 1879.

Prince William of Albania was elected in 1914.

Carol I of Romania was elected in 1866.

King Haakon VII of Norway was elected in 1905.
These were some that I found on wikipedia. Are there any others?
It's interesting to me that 4 of the 5 monarchies that had elected monarchs are now overthrown. Do you think that countries are more willing to overthrow an elected monarch or royal family that started with an elected monarch?

kwanfan said:
Do you think that countries are more willing to overthrow an elected monarch or royal family that started with an elected monarch?

I think in a way they are. There isn't that much invested in them (well some of them) at that point. I think the governments were already unstable when those monarchs were voted in...why else would they have changed their governments.

Agustin de Iturbide was elected Emperor when the Spanish Borbons refused the offer of the Mexican throne. Mexico had also it's own titled nobility created by Spain*
3 Dukes
45 Marquesses
42 Counts
3 Viscounts
1 Baron
3 Señor(es) (Lord)

*from what I read in Almanach de Bruxelles

three-years old King Magnus of Norway is elected King of Sweden too

Lunalilo I, elected King of Hawaii — born as William Charles Lunalilo

After the Přemyslide line became extinct (1306), John of Luxemburg was elected king of Bohemia in 1310.

Charles VII (1697-1745), Elector of Bavaria, was elected King of Bohemia 7 Dec 1741

Lady Jennifer, thanks for the help with the post assembly ;) :flowers:

Last edited:
Toledo said:
As with tradition in Norway at the time, he also had to be "elected" by the Norwegians to a certain extent - ie. he had to journey around to the legal "tings" and be acknowledged by the people as their leader.

Given that his father was the brother of King Birger of Sweden, it is perhaps not so unnatural that he was elected - the unnatural thing is his age.

Of course, he didn't get to reign over either Sweden or Norway until he was 15.

kwanfan said:
I thought it would be interesting to look at some situations through history where a monarch has been elected.
King George I of Greece-Born a Danish Prince-Elected King of Greece at age 17.

Prince Alexander I of Bulgaria was elected in 1879.

Prince William of Albania was elected in 1914.

Carol I of Romania was elected in 1866.

King Haakon VII of Norway was elected in 1905.
These were some that I found on wikipedia. Are there any others?
It's interesting to me that 4 of the 5 monarchies that had elected monarchs are now overthrown. Do you think that countries are more willing to overthrow an elected monarch or royal family that started with an elected monarch?
The situation in Greece was so uncertain when George was elected, that his father insisted that his descendants also carry the surplus title :prince/ss of Denmark. When King Haakon was elected to be king of Norway a generation later - no such surplus title followed his descendants. A difference in the political situation? But maybe also a difference in the political climate in different corners of Europe?

The Danish monarchy had elected kings until 1660.

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article.

The Danish royal family is one of the oldest reigning dynasties in the world, second only to that of the Japanese emperors.
The house of Oldenburg held the Danish Crown between 1448 and 1863, when it passed to the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, a cadet branch of Oldenburg (itself a cadet branch of the dynasty ruling prior to 1448). The kingdom had been elective (although the eldest son or brother of the previous king was usually elected) until 1660, when it became hereditary and absolutist. Until 1864 Denmark was also united in a personal union with the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein.

the monarchs of Malaysia would fit in here. every five years the sultans gather to elect a new king, with the latest one the 13th Yang di Pertuan) taking to the throne just recently.

Wasn't Catherine de Medici's 3rd and favourite son elected King of Poland?
He later became King of France due to the deaths of his elder brothers.

Pope Benedict XVI is an absolute monarch who has been elected, the same as every Pope before him. The Kings of Cambodia are chosen by an elective council, there's also Malaysia and of course the Maori monarch.

Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte: a French marshal elected Crown Prince

In 1810 Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, Maréchal de France, was unexpectedly elected heir to King Carl XIII of Sweden, partly because a large part of the Swedish Army, in view of future complications with Russia, were in favour of electing a soldier, and partly because Bernadotte was very popular in Sweden, owing to the kindness he had shown to the Swedish prisoners during the late war with Denmark.

The matter was decided by one of the Swedish courtiers, Baron Karl Otto Mörner, who, entirely on his own initiative, offered the succession to the Swedish crown to Bernadotte. The marshal communicated Mörner's offer to Napoleon, who treated the whole affair as an absurdity.

Bernadotte thereupon informed Mörner that he would not refuse the honour if he were duly elected. Although the Swedish Government, amazed at Baron Mörner's effrontery, at once placed him under arrest on his return to Sweden, the candidature of Bernadotte gradually gained favour there, and in 1810, he was elected Crown Prince. Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte adapted his name to Carl Johan.

The new Crown Prince was very soon the most popular and the most powerful man in Sweden. In 1818 Prince Carl Johan succeeded the King as the new King of Sweden and Norway.

Following only the male lines of the thrones of Sweden, Carl Johan, once a French marshal, is the male-line ancestor to the heirs of the present throne of Sweden:

Carl XIV Johan, King of Sweden and Norway x Queen Desideria (Désirée Clary)

Oskar I, King of Sweden and Norway x Queen Josefina (Joséphine de Beauharnais, Princess of Leuchtenberg)

Carl XV, King of Sweden and Norway x Queen Lovisa (Louise Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau)

Oskar II, King of Sweden and Norway x Queen Sofia (Sofia Princess of Nassau)

Gustaf V, King of Sweden x Queen Victoria (Viktoria Princess of Baden)

Gustaf VI, Adolf King of Sweden x Queen Margaretha (Princess Margaret of Connaught)

Gustaf Adolf, Prince of Sweden x Princess Sibylla (Sibylla Princess of Saxen-Coburg and Gotha)

Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden x Queen Silvia (Silvia Sommerlath)

Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
Following only the male lines of the thrones of Sweden, Carl Johan, once a French marshal, is the male-line ancestor to the heirs of the present throne of Sweden:

Carl XIV Johan, King of Sweden and Norway x Queen Desideria (Désirée Clary)

Oskar I, King of Sweden and Norway x Queen Josefina (Joséphine de Beauharnais, Princess of Leuchtenberg)

Carl XV, King of Sweden and Norway x Queen Lovisa (Louise Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau)

Oskar II, King of Sweden and Norway x Queen Sofia (Sofia Princess of Nassau)

Gustaf V, King of Sweden x Queen Victoria (Viktoria Princess of Baden)

Gustaf VI, Adolf King of Sweden x Queen Margaretha (Princess Margaret of Connaught)

Gustaf Adolf, Prince of Sweden x Princess Sibylla (Sibylla Princess of Saxen-Coburg and Gotha)

Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden x Queen Silvia (Silvia Sommerlath)

Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden

Excellent, Henri M. :flowers: One note, though. Margaretha died before becoming queen, so her title was Crown Princess Margaretha. Gustaf VI Adolf's queen was Queen Louise (née Louise Mountbatten/Battenberg).

Yes, but we in POLAND had few elected kings. From Grand Duke Władysław Jagiełło's (he was a husband of the Polish King Jadwiga later known as Saint Jadwiga the Queen) election to 1573 we had principle elections of the Jagiellon Dynasty. After Władysław II we had 6 kings from this family: Władysław III of Varna, Kazimierz IV (husband of Elisabeth of Austria known as Mother of the Kings), Jan I, Alexander, Zygmunt I the Old, Zygmunt II August (husband of Elisabeth of Austria, Barbara Radziwiłł and Catherine of Austria).
List of Polish monarchs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After extint of Jagiellon's since 1573 we had 13 elected kings.

Free election - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
norwegianne said:
Excellent, Henri M. :flowers: One note, though. Margaretha died before becoming queen, so her title was Crown Princess Margaretha. Gustaf VI Adolf's queen was Queen Louise (née Louise Mountbatten/Battenberg).
True, even though I actually didn't notice it. But Margareth was the one, who brought new heirs into the royal family, not Louise.

I didn't think about Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, when I opened this thread. Maybe because I consider him more "chosen" to be a king than "elected".

Furienna said:

True, even though I actually didn't notice it. But Margareth was the one, who brought new heirs into the royal family, not Louise.

I didn't think about Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, when I opened this thread. Maybe because I consider him more "chosen" to be a king than "elected".

Unless they were voted in by an electorate of 'one' - Napoleon! :rolleyes:

magnik said:
Yes, but we in POLAND had few elected kings. From Grand Duke Władysław Jagiełło's (he was a husband of the Polish King Jadwiga later known as Saint Jadwiga the Queen) election to 1573 we had principle elections of the Jagiellon Dynasty. After Władysław II we had 6 kings from this family: Władysław III of Varna, Kazimierz IV (husband of Elisabeth of Austria known as Mother of the Kings), Jan I, Alexander, Zygmunt I the Old, Zygmunt II August (husband of Elisabeth of Austria, Barbara Radziwiłł and Catherine of Austria).
List of Polish monarchs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After extint of Jagiellon's since 1573 we had 13 elected kings.

Free election - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weren't all Polish Kings elected by the Polish nobility (and usually from the Polish nobility too)? Of course some might have been elected due to severe pressure put on the nobles (Catherine the Great's lover for example).

Royals asked or who became Monarchs of another country

Hello!! We know the names of all the king of the world, but, does we know the origins of their dynasties?

A few of them were foreigner, without any relation with the country that they were going to reign:

-Greece: George I was the son of the King of Denmark.
-Egypt: Muhammad Ali was Macedonian.
-Sweden: Jean Bernardotte was French marechal.
-Spain: Amadeo I was an Italian duke.
-Belgium: I'm not sure, but I believe that Leopold I was German (I believe that he was born in Coburgo).

Do you know more?

Regards dear friends!

-Belgium: I'm not sure, but I believe that Leopold I was German (I believe that he was born in Coburgo).

You are right, King Leopold I was born Leopold von Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld.

-UK: William I was originally Duke of Normandy.

Yes, Leopold I was a very ambitious German. First he married the Princess of Wales, but when she died without leaving him with issue, he had to look elsewhere to become the one in power. The newly-founded Belgium was a nice place to start.

How about the British? Doesn't the current line go back to the Hannovers, who are German? And the "very first", William the Conquerer, who was Norman-French?

any middle eastern or asia kings anyone can think of...except for egypt of course.

The Kings of the Two Sicilies and the Dukes of Parma came from the Spanish Royal Family, that itself comes from France...

The Kings of the Two Sicilies and the Dukes of Parma came from the Spanish Royal Family, that itself comes from France...

Felipe V had Spanish blood in his veins (Infanta Maria Teresa get married with Louis XIV).

Jean Bernardotte, for example, didn't have any relation with Sweden.

Regards!!

In Russia, weren't Empress Catherine II and her husband Tzar Peter III both from German States, respectively from Anhalt-Zerbst and Holstein-Gottorp ?

The first King of Norway, the grandfather of King Harald, was born as Prince Carl of Denmark.

Holy Roman Emperor Franz I of Lorraine, husband of Archduchess Maria Teresa, became Grand-Duke of Tuscany in 1737, and after his death the title was inhereited by his son Archduke Leopold of Austria, later Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II.

Kublai Khan, a Mongol, founded the Yuan Empire of China. Huang Taiji was the first Manchu Emperor of China, though many go back and forth as it suits them as to whether or not the Manchus were "foreigners". Babur, founder of the Mughal Empire was from Uzbekistan originally though the empire was later mostly associated with India. The Buddhist leaders of Mongolia (monarchy for a time) were Tibetans. Rainier I, first Lord of Monaco was an Italian from Genoa. Some others popped to mind but they didn't found dynasties, in some cases barely even got their throne warm.

Back
Top Bottom