The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royalty Past, Present, and Future

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Since Amedeo of Spain was included I thought it might be permissable to list a few more who were made kings of foreign countries but did not last long enough to actually found dynasties:

Duke Adolf Friedrich von Meckenberg-Schwerin was chosen as Grand Duke of the United Baltic Duchy (basically Latvia and Estonia)

Prince Friedrich Karl of Hesse was chosen as King Vaino I of Finland

Prince Wilhelm von Urach was chosen as King Mindaugas II of Lithuania

General Pavlo Skoropadsky was chosen as Hetman of the Ukraine

Prince Faisal I was chosen as King of Greater Syria and later King of Iraq (he was originally from what is now Saudi Arabia)

Prince Aimone of Savoy-Aosta was chosen as King Tomislav II of Croatia

Baldwin IX, Count of Flanders was Emperor Baldwin I of the Latin Byzantine Empire -not sure if that one counts in this context though as there was obviously another contender for the eastern throne.

There were also the Hapsburgs and Bourbons in Tuscany and Sicily. They actually did establish dynasties that lasted for a while. If I recall the first in the long line of Sicilian kings was a Norman.
Edward Bruce (brother of Robert I King of Scotland) King of Ireland. died 1318, can be added to this list.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Serene Highness

Royals being asked to be King or Queen of another Country

I read in a book that Prince Edward was asked to be King of Estonia by a group of royalists in Estonia. According to the book the spokeman said (and I quote here), "a charming but unlikely idea." Could he have if he wanted to accept their invitation? I know that he's in line to the British throne but it's extremely unlikely that he would ever be King of England.

What about another royal in another household. Or would their be issues regarding this? If the royal involved isn't likely to become King or Queen, why would it be an issue if they accepted an invitation from another country to be their monarch. I would be curious if anyone has an answer to this. I've been thinking about this all day.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Nobility

Hi, Nascarlucy. The report is true that Edward was approached by the group in Estonia. IIRC it was only so they could have a candidate to propose because the newly-formed independent country had still not determined its form of government?

At any rate, there are previous examples in many of the current and formerly reigning families. The current ruling house in Norway was started when a younger (third?) son of the Danish king was offered the throne. And although no longer ruling, the Greek royal family also is descended from a Danish prince appointed to the post. The Belgian royals are descendants from a German prince who was an uncle to Queen Victoria. Many times it is the other ruling monarchs who decided and "chose" a candidate for the post who was then accepted by the people of that country. Other times, such as the case in Sweden, the people with the greatest influence chose Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, a French soldier, to be their new crown prince as the reigning king had no heirs.

We don't usually think of it as most countries opt for a republic nowadays, but any country could have a plebiscite and overnight decide to change from a republic to an absolute or constitutional monarchy...however unlikely that would be...just as they depose a hereditary ruler and choose to no longer be a monarchy and become a republic.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Nobility

In 1917 when Finland declared independence from Russia they thought of taking a German prince as their king, but then Germany lost ww1 and they decided to have a president
Old 12-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The German Prince in question was Friedrich Karl (1868-1940), heir presumptive to the Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel and husband of the Kaiser's sister, Princess Margaretha of Prussia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
If the royal involved isn't likely to become King or Queen, why would it be an issue if they accepted an invitation from another country to be their monarch. I would be curious if anyone has an answer to this.
I think that the adventure of the Empire of Mexico of Archduke Maximilian of Austria (the brother of Emperor Franz Josef) is a good example for answering to your question: he was asked to become Emperor of Mexico by some Mexican aristocrats, he accepted and left for his new Empire, supported by the conservative politicians; there he found out that the real situation was far from what he was described, and that the larges part of population was still supportive of the former republic. Then Maximilian's liberal politics vexed his conservative supporters, and in less than three years the Empire ended (and Maximilian was executed).

Accepting similar invitations can be very very risky if one doesn't know exactly the real situation of the country; and the fact that a group of Estonians asked Edward to become King of Estonia doesn't mean at all that Estonian people wanted a monarchy with Edward as King. And would he have the necessary preparation for being King of a foreign country surely very different from the UK (where however he was taught to be a Prince, but I don't think his education was aimed to make him a King)? I don't think.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Accepting similar invitations can be very very risky if one doesn't know exactly the real situation of the country; and the fact that a group of Estonians asked Edward to become King of Estonia doesn't mean at all that Estonian people wanted a monarchy with Edward as King. And would he have the necessary preparation for being King of a foreign country surely very different from the UK (where however he was taught to be a Prince, but I don't think his education was aimed to make him a King)? I don't think.
In addition to that, there is also the matter of what resources and support structure would exist in said country, even if the majority of the people wanted a monarchy as its form of government. In the cases of both Sweden and Norway (which had previously existed under one monarch), an entire system for a royal court was in place, the buildings, staff, security, training, etc. for the existence of a monarch were in place. All that was needed was a new king/heir. And from what I have read about Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, he never actually learned the Swedish language enough to become fluent. Of course, all those things could still have existed and had a disastrous result. A newly independent country is still forming its own identity, developing its economic system, establishing its own military, etc. And don't forget that the Bosnian conflict and breakup of the former Yugoslavia in the southern region of Eastern Europe was going on and continued up until last year at least with the independence of Montenegro.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you for the information Rascal and MAfan. You've answered my question.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Aristocracy

The uncle of Queen Victoria who became King of Belgium was also the husband of Princess Charlotte of Wales whose death in childbirth (the baby was stillborn) paved the way for Victoria to become Queen.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I read in a book that Prince Edward was asked to be King of Estonia by a group of royalists in Estonia. According to the book the spokeman said (and I quote here), "a charming but unlikely idea." Could he have if he wanted to accept their invitation? I know that he's in line to the British throne but it's extremely unlikely that he would ever be King of England.

What about another royal in another household. Or would their be issues regarding this? If the royal involved isn't likely to become King or Queen, why would it be an issue if they accepted an invitation from another country to be their monarch. I would be curious if anyone has an answer to this. I've been thinking about this all day.
1. There are still Monarchists in Estonia.
2. The concept of foreign Royals becoming Kings/Queens of other nations has been a common practice. It's mostly when the royal house has become extinct, or if there was a political change (independence - such as in Finland)
3. "King of England" does not exist as a title. and has not for quite some time. It would only return if the UK was dissolved.
-John Hancock, upon signing the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776
Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Commoner

Peter I of Brazil was called to be the first King of Greece, but he declined.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:54 AM
Serene Highness

Gustav Eriksson Vasa was from a noble family who managed to make himself king of Sweden and founder of the first hereditary royal dynasty in Sweden.

The Principality/Kingdom of Hungary in the medieval times are full of royals from other countries that have become monarchs: Kingdom of Hungary in the Middle Ages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia