The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royalty Past, Present, and Future

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Aristocracy

Royals asked or who became Monarchs of another country

Hello!! We know the names of all the king of the world, but, does we know the origins of their dynasties?

A few of them were foreigner, without any relation with the country that they were going to reign:

-Greece: George I was the son of the King of Denmark.
-Egypt: Muhammad Ali was Macedonian.
-Sweden: Jean Bernardotte was French marechal.
-Spain: Amadeo I was an Italian duke.
-Belgium: I'm not sure, but I believe that Leopold I was German (I believe that he was born in Coburgo).

Do you know more?

Regards dear friends!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
-Belgium: I'm not sure, but I believe that Leopold I was German (I believe that he was born in Coburgo).
You are right, King Leopold I was born Leopold von Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld.

-UK: William I was originally Duke of Normandy.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM

Yes, Leopold I was a very ambitious German. First he married the Princess of Wales, but when she died without leaving him with issue, he had to look elsewhere to become the one in power. The newly-founded Belgium was a nice place to start.

How about the British? Doesn't the current line go back to the Hannovers, who are German? And the "very first", William the Conquerer, who was Norman-French?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Nobility

any middle eastern or asia kings anyone can think of...except for egypt of course.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Kings of the Two Sicilies and the Dukes of Parma came from the Spanish Royal Family, that itself comes from France...
Old 05-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
The Kings of the Two Sicilies and the Dukes of Parma came from the Spanish Royal Family, that itself comes from France...
Felipe V had Spanish blood in his veins (Infanta Maria Teresa get married with Louis XIV).

Jean Bernardotte, for example, didn't have any relation with Sweden.

Regards!!
Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Courtier

In Russia, weren't Empress Catherine II and her husband Tzar Peter III both from German States, respectively from Anhalt-Zerbst and Holstein-Gottorp ?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Nobility

The first King of Norway, the grandfather of King Harald, was born as Prince Carl of Denmark.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Holy Roman Emperor Franz I of Lorraine, husband of Archduchess Maria Teresa, became Grand-Duke of Tuscany in 1737, and after his death the title was inhereited by his son Archduke Leopold of Austria, later Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Nobility

Kublai Khan, a Mongol, founded the Yuan Empire of China. Huang Taiji was the first Manchu Emperor of China, though many go back and forth as it suits them as to whether or not the Manchus were "foreigners". Babur, founder of the Mughal Empire was from Uzbekistan originally though the empire was later mostly associated with India. The Buddhist leaders of Mongolia (monarchy for a time) were Tibetans. Rainier I, first Lord of Monaco was an Italian from Genoa. Some others popped to mind but they didn't found dynasties, in some cases barely even got their throne warm.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:58 AM
Courtier

Don't forget Roumania and Bulgaria who are Hohenzollern and Saxe-Coburg respectavly. The Romanovs wre also a foriegn dynasty that married in (Holstein Gottorp).
Old 05-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Bulgaria
firstly Prince Alexander of Battenberg [Hesse-Darmstadt] who became Prince of Bulgaria in 1879;
secondly Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha who became Prince of Bulgaria in 1887 and King (Tsar) of the Bulgarians in 1908

Romania

Prince Karl of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen who became Prince of Romania in 1866 and King in 1881

Albania

Prince Wilhelm of Wied who became Prince of Albania in 1914 (short-lived)

Brazil
Prince Pedro, Prince of Beira [Portugal] who became Dom Pedro I, Emperor of Brazil 1822

Greece
firstly Prince Otto of Bavaria who was King of Greece from 1832 to 1862;
secondly Prince Wilhelm of Denmark who became King of the Hellenes in 1863
Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post
Yes, Leopold I was a very ambitious German. First he married the Princess of Wales, but when she died without leaving him with issue, he had to look elsewhere to become the one in power. The newly-founded Belgium was a nice place to start.

How about the British? Doesn't the current line go back to the Hannovers, who are German? And the "very first", William the Conquerer, who was Norman-French?

Leopold did NOT marry the Princess of Wales. That title was held by hsi mother-in-law.

He married Princess Charlotte of Wales, who died in childbirth.

Leopold was also the brother of the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, father of Prince Albert the Prince Consort and Princess Victoire, Duchess of Kent mother of Queen Victoria thus making Leopold the uncle of both Victoria and Albert.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Majesty

If the Hanoverians are regarded as foreigners starting new dynasties in England/Britain then it is necessary to add James VI and I of Scotland and England who was first of all the Scottish king when Scotland was not joined to England.

The fact that both these kings (James VI and I and George I from Hanover) are descendents of Henry VII and George I was a direct descendent of James VI and does raise some questions about whether they truly founded new dynasties.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

Bulgaria
firstly Prince Alexander of Battenberg [Hesse-Darmstadt] who became Prince of Bulgaria in 1879;
secondly Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha who became Prince of Bulgaria in 1887 and King (Tsar) of the Bulgarians in 1908

Romania

Prince Karl of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen who became Prince of Romania in 1866 and King in 1881

Albania

Prince Wilhelm of Wied who became Prince of Albania in 1914 (short-lived)

Brazil
Prince Pedro, Prince of Beira [Portugal] who became Dom Pedro I, Emperor of Brazil 1822

Greece
firstly Prince Otto of Bavaria who was King of Greece from 1832 to 1862;
secondly Prince Wilhelm of Denmark who became King of the Hellenes in 1863
Hello!! Do you know where are from the Kings of Albania, Romania and Bulgaria? Germany?

Regards!
Old 05-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Leopold did NOT marry the Princess of Wales. That title was held by hsi mother-in-law.

He married Princess Charlotte of Wales, who died in childbirth.

Leopold was also the brother of the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, father of Prince Albert the Prince Consort and Princess Victoire, Duchess of Kent mother of Queen Victoria thus making Leopold the uncle of both Victoria and Albert.
Quite right, sorry, mix-up there
In my attempt to illustrate Leopold's unbridled ambition, I was a little loose with the facts.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by espejor View Post
Hello!! Do you know where are from the Kings of Albania, Romania and Bulgaria? Germany?

Regards!
Hohenzollern, Wied and Saxe Coburg were principoalities or Duchies in Germany yes.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Hohenzollern, Wied and Saxe Coburg were principoalities or Duchies in Germany yes.
But, do you know if these kings were "imposed" to their respectives countries? For example, Amadeo I was a member of Saboya family and he wasn't Spanish and he hadn't any relation with Spain (his family hadn't Spanish blood life, for example, the first Bourbon in Spain, Felipe V). But he was voted by the Parliament.

Regards!!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Albania
Prince Wilhelm of Wied was elected by the Albanians as Mbret or Prince of Albania following the Balkan War of 1913 and the establishment of the Principality by the Great Powers. His keenest supporter was Queen Elisabeth of Romania (he was her favourite nephew). The governments of Austria-Hungary, France and Italy were agreeable to his candidacy and in the absence of any other volunteers, Wilhelm was proposed and accepted by the Albanians in February 1914.

Bulgaria
After Russian interference led to the deposition of Prince Alexander (of Battenberg) in 1886 the Bulgarian statesman Stambouloff took charge of affairs and decided on Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, otherwise known as "Foxy Ferdinand", "the cleverest of the clever Coburgs". He was elected Prince of Bulgaria with hereditary right in 1887.

Romania
In 1866 the Romanian Parliament resolved to appoint a foreign prince as successor to the native Prince Alexander Cuza. First choice was the Count of Flanders, younger brother of Leopold II of the Belgians, and then when he declined, Prince Karl-Eitel of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. Karl-Eitel had the backing of Bismarck and was supported by Napoleon III, although he was opposed by Austria. He was elected hereditary reigning Prince of Romania by plebiscite in 1866 and took the name of Carol.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Nobility

Since Amedeo of Spain was included I thought it might be permissable to list a few more who were made kings of foreign countries but did not last long enough to actually found dynasties:

Duke Adolf Friedrich von Meckenberg-Schwerin was chosen as Grand Duke of the United Baltic Duchy (basically Latvia and Estonia)

Prince Friedrich Karl of Hesse was chosen as King Vaino I of Finland

Prince Wilhelm von Urach was chosen as King Mindaugas II of Lithuania

General Pavlo Skoropadsky was chosen as Hetman of the Ukraine

Prince Faisal I was chosen as King of Greater Syria and later King of Iraq (he was originally from what is now Saudi Arabia)

Prince Aimone of Savoy-Aosta was chosen as King Tomislav II of Croatia

Baldwin IX, Count of Flanders was Emperor Baldwin I of the Latin Byzantine Empire -not sure if that one counts in this context though as there was obviously another contender for the eastern throne.

There were also the Hapsburgs and Bourbons in Tuscany and Sicily. They actually did establish dynasties that lasted for a while. If I recall the first in the long line of Sicilian kings was a Norman.