Royal Saints

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks ARR, I knew about the others but I forgot there was that many!

I do recall reading that st Margaret's relics (along with her husband Malcolm Canmore) were in the possession of Mary Queen of Scots at one time, before she gave them to Philip II of Spain for safe keeping to stop Knox and his followers from getting their hands on them.

Her main shrine was at Dunfermline Abbey but it was sacked and desecrated in 1560,there were other relics in Spain and France but were all lost during the French Revolution and its aftermath.

Here's a little more information on Scotlands only royal Saint.

St Margaret - The Only Royal Scottish Saint

Ahh this is bringing back memories

"Girls of Queen Magaret, sing of our college..."

Saint Adalard of Corbie (751-827) was a cousin of Charlemagne. Adalard was the son of Bernard. Bernard was a son of Charles Martel, Duke and Prince of the Franks.
Adalard was prime minister to Pepin, King of Italy. In 822 Adalard founded Corvey Abbey. He was canonized in 1024 by Pope John XIX.

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary is also known as Saint Elizabeth of Thuringia. Why? She was married to Landgrave Louis IV of Thuringia.

Saint Kunigunde (c. 975-1040) was the wife of Holy Roman Emperor Henry II. They founded and endowed the See of Bamberg in 1017.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saint Matilda of Saxony (c.895 - 968) - Queen and Patron Saint of Falsely Accused People, and Against the Death of Children.

Santi, beati e testimoni
File:Mathilde 0 de ringelheim.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Daughter of Count Dietrich of Westphalia and Reinhild of Denmark; she was raised by her grandmother, abbess of the Eufurt. In 913, Matilda left the abbey, and married King Henry the Fowler of Saxony (Henry I), who had received an annulment from a previous marriage. Queen of Germany. Mother of Otto, Holy Roman Emporer; Henry the Quarrelsome, Duke of Bavaria; Saint Bruno the Great, Archbishop of Cologne, Germany; Gerberga, wife of King Louis IV of France; Hedwig, mother of Hugh Capet. Founded several Benedictine abbeys. Well known throughout the realm for her generosity, she taught the ignorant, comforted the sick, and visited prisoners. Betrayed by Otto after Henry’s death when he falsely accused her of financial mismanagement.
At Quedlinburg Abbey Matilda's granddaughter Matilda, the daughter of Holy Roman Emperor Otto I, became abbess in 966.

As Queen of Scotland, St. Margaret of Scotland used her influence in the interests of the Faith. She convoked a synod which drew up regulations for the Lenten fast, Easter communion, and marriage laws.

St. Elizabeth of Hungary window in an Episcopal church in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland

Isabel of Aragon, more commonly known as Saint Isabel of Portugal, (1271 – 4 July 1336), was queen consort of Portugal, a tertiary of the Franciscan Order and is venerated as a saint of the Catholic Church.
She was beatified in 1526 and canonized by Pope Urban VIII on 25 May 1625.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_of_Portugal

St. Clotilde (475-545) held the title of Queen of All the Franks. She was the spouse of Frankish king Clovis I. She is the patron saint of queens.

St. Clotilde (475-545) held the title of Queen of All the Franks. She was the spouse of Frankish king Clovis I. She is the patron saint of queens.

The tomb of St. Clotilde and her husband King Clovis were desecrated in 1793 by Sans-Culottes at l'Abbaye Sainte-Geneviève de Paris,however some of the monks managed to salvage them and hid them.They were later reburied at the Saint-Leu-Saint-Gilles church in Paris.
Tombeaux_Clovis_Clotilda.jpg

Olav II Haraldsson, King of Norway and martyr

Olaf II of Norway - Wikipedia

The remains of Olav II were enshrined in a Silver Casket at the Nidaros Cathedral,during the Reformation the Silver Casket was dismantled and melted down.The remains of Olav II were then reburied at an unknown location in the Cathedral.

Back
Top Bottom