Royal Saints

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
St Joan od Arc

l'Institut de la Maison Royale de France organizes a trip to Domrémy and Vaucouleurs to commemorate St Joan of Arc on March 24th, 2012.
Count of Paris will attend too. - Source

Joan of Arc caught up in French election tussle - FRANCE - FRANCE 24
A POLITICAL battle has broken out over saint Joan of Arc as France marked the 600th anniversary of her birth.The nation celebrated the 600th anniversary of the birth of the medieval martyr and favourite saint Joan of Arc, as politicians fought each other to take up her battle standard, as her image has increasingly been tied to far-right candidates.

French battle over Joan of Arc's legacy
Joan of Arc still firing up the French 600 years on - The Irish Times - Sat, Jan 07, 2012
Battle erupts over Joan of Arc | Courier Mail

Last edited:
Does anyone really know if the Three Magi were priests? The only source is the book of Matthew and it doesn't mention them being priests. Wikipedia goes into some other apocryphal stuff about them, but I find it dubious.

The usual translation is "wise men" or "king."

The wikipedia part about Zoroastrianism is unsourced and correctly noted as unsourced on the wiki - it's not a great wiki. If someone has a source, they should definitely edit that wiki.

Different topic: that's so strange about the right wing in France and Joan of Arc. Some good reading there.

Can anyone tell me any info on Olga of Kiev, I was confirmed with this saint's name I wanted Catherine but decided on Olga.

The 4th of February marked the feast of the French royal Saint Jeanne de Valois,daughter of Louis XI and Charlotte de Savoie.

Joan of France, Duchess of Berry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stjeannedevalois.jpg

23 February 1270- Death of St Isabelle de France

Daughter of Louis VIII of France and Blanche of Castile,she was the younger sister of St King Louis IX of France.In 1256 she founded the Poor Clares Abbey de Longchamp near Paris.

270px-St._Isabel_of_France_Saint-Germain_l%27Auxerrois.jpg

Saint Edmund was King of East Anglia from 855 to 869 (or 870).
In the Roman Catholic Church his feast is observed on November 20th.
St. Edmund the King and Martyr's Church in London, England was designed by Sir Christopher Wren.

Saint Laszlo (Laszlo I)
Saint Laszlo was the son of King Bela I of Hungary. Laszlo was born about 1040.
He was elected King of Hungary by the nobles in 1077. He reigned until 1095.
He encouraged Christian missionaries and built many churches.
In 1192 he was canonized by Pope Celestine III. In the Roman Catholic Church his feast day is June 27th.
He is also known as Saint Ladislaus (Ladislaus I).
Saint Laszlo is the patron saint of architecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saint Laszlo (Laszlo I)
Saint Laszlo was the son of King Bela I of Hungary. Laszlo was born about 1040.
He was elected King of Hungary by the nobles in 1077. He reigned until 1095.
He encouraged Christian missionaries and built many churches.
In 1192 he was canonized by Pope Celestine III. In the Roman Catholic Church his feast day is June 27th.
He is also known as Saint Ladislaus (Ladislaus I).
Saint Laszlo is the patron saint of architecture.

184px-King_St._Ladislaus.jpg

Ladislaus I of Hungary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While not yet a saint, Margaret Pole, nee Margaret Plantagenet, daughter of the Duke of Clarence, executed by Henry VIII, was beatified by Pope Leo XIII. She's just a step away from sainthood.

Saints.SQPN.com » Blog Archive » Blessed Margaret Pole

Lady Margaret was beatified by Pope Leo XIII on the 29th of December 1886 as Blessed Margaret Pole.I wonder if there are any plans to make her Saint?

Nice stained glass memorial to the martyred Countess of Salisbury.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-y-JXtvbl2aA/TdqznphWFxI/AAAAAAAABRQ/WN9X797ux2Q/s1600/blessed-margaret-pole.jpg

Saint Leopold III, Margrave of Austria
Leopold III (1073-1136) is the patron saint of Austria.
He established the Klosterneuburg Monastery.
Leopold III founded the monasteries of Heiligerkreuz, Kleinmariazell, and Seiterstetten.
He was canonized on January 6th, 1458.
In the Roman Catholic Church his feast day is November 15th.
Michael Haydn the composer wrote a Mass in honor of Saint Leopold III.
The title of this Mass is the Missa subtitulo Sancti Leopoldi.

St. Charles, King and Martyr
St. Charles is Charles I of England.
He is the only saint canonized by the Church of England after the Reformation.
Charles I (1600-1649) was the King of England, Scotland, and Ireland from 1625 to 1649.
Charles was martyred on January 30, 1649.

Saint Henry
Henry II, German King and Holy Roman Emperor
Henry was born in 972.
He had been destined for the priesthood in his youth.
Henry II reigned from 1014 to 1024.
He promoted the institutions of the Church.
He died in 1024.
The Roman Catholic Church canonized Emperor Henry II in 1146.

Saint Leopold III, Margrave of Austria
Leopold III (1073-1136) is the patron saint of Austria.
He established the Klosterneuburg Monastery.
Leopold III founded the monasteries of Heiligerkreuz, Kleinmariazell, and Seiterstetten.
He was canonized on January 6th, 1458.
In the Roman Catholic Church his feast day is November 15th.
Michael Haydn the composer wrote a Mass in honor of Saint Leopold III.
The title of this Mass is the Missa subtitulo Sancti Leopoldi.

Saint Leopold III, Margrave of Austria,he's also buried at the Augustinian monastery of Klosterneuburg near Vienna.

Herzog_Leopold_III._Babenberg.jpg

Saint Balthilde
Queen consort of King Clovis II of Burgundy
She was born around 626.
She had been a slave.
Clovis II met her at the house of the mayor of the palace.
Clovis freed and married her in 649.
Queen Balthilde abolished the trade in Christian slaves.
She founded hospitals and monasteries.
She died in 680.

Umberto III (Humbert III) the Blessed
Umberto was born in 1135 (1136).
He was the Count of Savoy from 1148 to 1189.
He was a man of irresolute spirit.
He preferred the seclusion of a monastery.
In 1189 Umberto founded the Monastery of Saint'Antonio di Ranverso.
Umberto III died in 1189.

His younger sister is also a Saint Isabelle of France.

Saint Isabelle of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another French Royal Saint is St. Jeanne de Valois/France.A daughter of Louis XI,she was briefly Queen of France as the first wife of Louis XII of France.

Joan of France, Duchess of Berry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St.Joan of France also known as St.Joan of Valois founded the Order of the Annunciation.The sisters in France are mainly cloistered but in Beligum there is an active branch that does teaching and other work.
Someone mentioned St.Elizabeth of Hungary.She was the niece of St.Hedwig of Silesea.The town of St.Hedwig,Texas east of San Antonio was founded by polish settlers and named for her. St.Hedwig's great niece was St. Elizabeth of Portugal.

I always felt a special connection to Elizabeth of Hungary. In catholic school we had to do a report on a saint when I was in grade 6 (my family didn't go to church when Iwas a kid though I was baptized, ended up in catholic school in grade 5 when we moved and no suitable public school was close). I found her fascinating.

Saint Elizabeth of Portugal was her great-niece and was named for her. Elizabeth of Hungary's half sister Yolanda was Elizabeth of Portugal's paternal grandmother. She was known as the peacemaker. During her husband Dennis' life she helped negotiate peace between him and Sancho of Castile, and later between Sancho's son Fernando and her brother James II of Aragon. After her husband's death she retreated to a convent but was called out once again to stop her son Alfonso IV from going to war with his son in law, Fernando's son Alfonso XI of Castile. Her son had married her granddaughter Maria to Alfonso of Castile but he was cold and abusive, and her son intended war. Elizabeth negotiated peace but she was left weak and died soon after.

Its a wonder how authentic they are? I would have thought that anything associated with Joan of Arc would be in the hands of the RC church or a museum?

In terms of more modern folks, there's been rumblings of beatification through the Roman Catholic Church for the late King Baudouin/Koning Boudewijn. It was fairly certain that nothing would take place during Fabiola's lifetime, but we shall see. It's a long road and an unlikely one for modern royals.

As I'm a super Baudouin fan, I would, of course, be thrilled.

The school I went to was named after saint Margaret of Scotland, Queen Margeret College in Wellington NZ. It was founded by the same people who run Scots College (a boys school - QMC is for girls) and St Joseph's Maori Girls.

Due to the school being run by the Presbyterian church it was called Queen Margaret College not St Margaret, due to Saints being a bit too high church for their tastes; and the fact that there is also Saint Margarets school in Christchurch run by the Anglicans (sounds silly but those kinds of things were VERY important to colonial era New Zealanders...)

Apparently Saint Margaret is a popular patron for schools.

Last edited:
St. Margaret was apparently a very pious lady,had the Scottish Reformers not destroyed her shrine and remains it might still be a place of pilgrimage today.

Saint_Margaret_of_Scotland.jpg

I had a look and there are quite a few schools/colleges named in her honour!

Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh, Scotland, which adopted the name in 1972
Queen Margaret College, Glasgow, Scotland
Queen Margaret Union, Glasgow, Scotland, a student union at Glasgow University
Queen Margaret Hospital, Dunfermline, Scotland
The towns of South Queensferry and North Queensferry, Scotland, mark the location of the ferry established by Queen Margaret
St Margaret's High School, Airdrie, North Lanarkshire Scotland
St. Margaret's R C Primary School, South Queensferry, Scotland
Queen Margaret Academy, Ayr, Scotland
St Margaret's Academy, Livingston, Scotland
St Margaret's School, Bushey, Hertfordshire, England, a private school with boarding facilities for girls aged 4–18 years.
St Margaret's College, Christchurch, New Zealand
Queen Margaret College, Wellington, New Zealand
St. Margaret's Hospital Guild, Indianapolis, Indiana
St. Margaret's Junior College, Suginami, Tokyo, Japan, incorporating kindergarten, girls primary, junior and senior high schools
St Margaret of Scotland Hospice, Clydebank, Scotland
St. Margaret's Primary School and St. Margaret's Secondary School, in Singapore
St Margaret's School, Melbourne, Australia, both primary and secondary schools
St. Margaret of Scotland School, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
St. Margaret of Scotland Catholic Elementary, Erin Mills, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
St. Margaret of Scotland Parish, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
St. Margaret's School, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, primary and secondary school for girls (including both boarding and day students)
Saint Margaret of Scotland Catholic School Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
St. Margaret's School, Tappahannock, Virginia, USA, a private Episcopal college preparatory school for girls (including both boarding and day students, grades 8-12)
St. Margaret's School, Viña del Mar, Chile
St. Margaret's Chapel, Glastonbury, England
St. Margaret of Scotland Catholic Parish, Lees Summit, MO.
St. Margaret's Anglican Church, Eltham, Victoria, Australia

Back
Top Bottom