The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Courtier

Holy Relics of King Saint Wenceslas of Bohemia encased in a circular metal reliquary:

All sizes | S. WENCESLAO RE | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Courtier

A Sacred Bone Relic of Blessed Emperor Charles of Austria encased in a circular metal reliquary:

All sizes | karlofaustria | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Courtier

A Sacred Bone Relic of St. Mathilde, Queen of Saxony, also encased in a circular metal reliquary:

http://oi56.tinypic.com/dqg0pi.jpg
Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

Emperor Constantine the Great, Constantine the Great - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and his mother Helena, Helena (Empress) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Perhaps the two most important Royal saints, he was the first Roman emperor to become Christian.

King Stephen I of Hungary, Stephen I of Hungary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , introduced Christianity to Hungaria, and the Holy Crown of Hungary is known as St Stephen's Crown, Holy Crown of Hungary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elizabeth of Aragon, queen of Portugal, Elizabeth of Aragon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
, named after her grand-aunt, Elizabeth of Hungary, Elisabeth of Hungary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For more Royal saints: List of royal saints and martyrs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness

Aren't the Romanov Family of Russia considered to be saints as well as grand duchess Elisabeth fyodorovna who was a royal but then turned nun and still the Bolsheviks kill her why?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Aren't the Romanov Family of Russia considered to be saints as well as grand duchess Elisabeth fyodorovna who was a royal but then turned nun and still the Bolsheviks kill her why?
If you check the list of Royal saints I posted above, you will find all seven members of the Romanov family on it, as well as Elizabeth Feodorovna.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Saint Louis!

King Louis IX of France was born in 1214, acceeded in 1226, and reigned until his death (1270 in Tunis) returning from the Eighth Crusade. He was seen as the ideal Christian monarch of his day. The city in Missouri with the arch and others around the world were named for him.
His younger sister is also a Saint Isabelle of France.

Saint Isabelle of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another French Royal Saint is St. Jeanne de Valois/France.A daughter of Louis XI,she was briefly Queen of France as the first wife of Louis XII of France.

Joan of France, Duchess of Berry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Majesty

I remember reading at some point that young princes Boris and Gleb are considered martyrs in the Russian Orthodox Church. I don't remember the exact details of their story though.

Grand Prince Vladimir of Kiev is a saint as well, because he was the one who converted ancient Russia to the Orthodox faith. That story is very interesting, because it's claimed that Vladimir at first really didn't believe in the Christian doctrine. He chose the faith because it had the least amount of restrictions, and the merchants who were asked to go and 'search' for a faith that would unify Russia basically threatened to leave his service if he didn't convert.

Now, things changed a little when Vladimir wanted to marry Greek Emperor's sister Anna. It is told that during one of his military campaigns that involved Greece Vladimir lost his sight, and regained after three days, during which Anna prayed for his recovery (somehow this ended up being a love match). Vladimir was so amazed, that he ordered all citizens of Kiev to convert and destroy all the statues of the Gods they've worshiped previously.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

The story of Boris and Gleb goes to very deep and dark times:
Boris and Gleb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
The story of Boris and Gleb goes to very deep and dark times:
Boris and Gleb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for the information.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Elizabeth is depicted on the front of Westminster Abbey along with other
20th century martyrs.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Elizabeth is depicted on the front of Westminster Abbey along with other
20th century martyrs.
Really? I don't remember seeing her image though. Was it near the alter, or somewhere in the sanctuary? The only icon I saw was the one of the Virgin Mary holding her infant son somewhere near the front.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Really? I don't remember seeing her image though. Was it near the alter, or somewhere in the sanctuary? The only icon I saw was the one of the Virgin Mary holding her infant son somewhere near the front.
Its on the outside of the Abbey. If you look up when entering there are images of martyrs across the front.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Its on the outside of the Abbey. If you look up when entering there are images of martyrs across the front.
Thank you so much for the information. I'm assuming the later ones were added on since the Abbey was built a rather long time ago?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

In 1998 ten vacant statue niches at the West Gate were filled with 10 representative 20th Century martyrs: Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia (d.1918), Manche Masemola (d.1928), Maximilian Kolbe (d.1941), Lucian Tapiede (d.1941), Dietrich Bonhoeffer (d.1945), Esther John (d.1960), Martin Luther King (d.1968), Wang Zhiming (d.1973), Janani Luwum (d.1977), and Óscar Romero (d.1980).
Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
In 1998 ten vacant statue niches at the West Gate were filled with 10 representative 20th Century martyrs: Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia (d.1918), Manche Masemola (d.1928), Maximilian Kolbe (d.1941), Lucian Tapiede (d.1941), Dietrich Bonhoeffer (d.1945), Esther John (d.1960), Martin Luther King (d.1968), Wang Zhiming (d.1973), Janani Luwum (d.1977), and Óscar Romero (d.1980).
Thank you so much for answering my questions .

Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Courtier

An Orthodox Icon of the martyred Russian Imperial Family:

All sizes | Familia Real Rusa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Courtier

Saint Philomena, Virgin and Martyr (c.291-304), is an Ancient Greek Princess. Philomena's parents were Pagans, rulers of a Greek state. They were converted to Christianity when they received a blessing from God, a baby girl, whom they named "Philomena" which means "Daughter of Light". Philomena was the Princess of Corfu (Kerkyra in Greek).

Philomena grew up to be a lovely, beautiful and religious maiden. When she was 14 years old, the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who is responsible for the persecution of the early Christians, declared a war against Greece. Philomena and her parents went to Rome to make peace with Diocletian. When Diocletian saw the young Philomena for the first time, he was amazed by her beauty, and he fell in love with her, and he asked her to marry him and to become his Queen. Philomena refused his offer, saying that she belongs only to Jesus Christ. Diocletian became furious and he ordered Philomena to be thrown into Prison.

Again, Diocletian tried to convince Philomena to marry him, but she refused again. He became even more furious, and he had Philomena scourged at the pillar badly. But God, in his mercy, sent his angels to heal Philomena's wounds. Upon seeing what the angels did to Philomena, Diocletian became very mad, and again he ordered her to be thrown onto the Tiber River with a heavy anchor tied around her neck. Again, Philomena survived when the angels removed the anchor around her neck. Diocletian didn't give up, and again, he ordered that Philomena be killed by arrows, but she survived it too with the help of God's angels. Finally, having had enough, Diocletian ordered that Philomena be put to death by decapitation; this ended the earthly life of the young Greek Princess.

The early Christians, upon hearing her fate, mourned for the death of Philomena, and they buried her body with great honour in the Catacombs of Saint Priscilla in Rome. Thousands of years after her death, on May 25, 1802, Philomena's remains were found by the Archeologists at the Catacombs of Saint Priscilla in Rome. It was identified that the remains belong to Philomena when three stone tiles covering her tomb has a Latin Inscription written on it: PAX TECVM FILVMENA - in English, it translates "Peace be with you, Philomena". It was a custom for the early Christians in Rome to put a sign on the tombs so that the remains lying inside them would never be forgotten. Soon after the discovery of Philomena's remains, miracles were attributed through her intercession, making her recognized by the Church and the people as a Saint. Devotion to Saint Philomena became even more famous through the help of Saint Jean Marie Vianney, Venerable Pauline Marie Jaricot, and Servant of God, Maria Luisa of Jesus.

http://www.marypages.com/SaintPhilomena.gif
Philomena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-23-2011, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Very nice gesture from the authorities of the Abbey; presenting martyrs belonging to all three major factions of Christianity (Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants)

A photo:

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/404384
Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Courtier

Sacred Bone Relic of Blessed Emperor Charles of Austria, which is venerated in my country, the Philippines! :)

http://oi56.tinypic.com/wuml35.jpg

That relic of Bl. Emperor Charles is under the custody of a priest friend from Cebu, Philippines. During the feast of Bl. Emperor Charles, the Relic is taken out to the Church to be venerated by all of the faithful.