The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Serene Highness

My viewpoint is "If it ain't broken, why fix it"!
All of the talk about a republic is fine but there are a lot of what might seem trivial things to consider if we were to make the change. There would be the cost of redrafting & reprinting legislation, government stationery, etc. The waste would be astronomical when you consider that all existing stationery would have to be shredded and legislation repealed, Parliament (both state & federal) would be tied up for years debating new legislation, etc, etc, etc.
Seems like a very expensive exercise to me when there is basically nothing wrong on a day to day basis with the current system.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359
Getting rid of the monarchy here in Canada is really a non-issue at the moment. Most Canadians don't care one way or another. In 2002 polls showed that about 50% of the population wished the monarchy to continue and about 42% wished Canada to become a republic, however, 82% felt that debating the future of the monarchy in Canada was not an important issue.

Some say Canadians still tend to like the pomp and ceremony associated with the monarchy. A few months back there was a scandal in the Governor General's office, the Queen's representative in Canada, when it was discovered that under the present Governor General, Adrienne Clarkson, the office's budge rose by 200% since she took office. Many Canadians called for the end of the office, yet there was no real calls to remove the Queen as head of state.

Is the monarchy relevant in Canada today? Probably not. God Save the Queen is only sung on extreemly formal occassions, the Queen has been stripped of most of her official duties, and the Governor General performs almost all of the duties of the Queen. However, the Queen is still well liked in Canada and her visits, which occur every 2 to 5 years, still draw large crowds. The biggest asset of the monarchy in Canada is that it draws attention to one of the few differences between us and the United States.

There is one massive hurdle Canada would have to overcome if it were to become a republic. The Queen's role, as Queen of Canada, and the office of the Governor General has been entrenched in our constitution since 1982. The only way we now can remove the Queen as head of state is if ALL levels of government are in agreement, meaning the Senate, Federal House of Commons and all the provincial governments. Plus they're would have to be a referendum, which are extreemly rare in Canada there has only been 4 I think in the whole history of Canada, where a clear majorty I think about 60% of the total population and 50% of the population of each provonce and territories would have to say yes to removing the Queen even before the provincial governments could begin to propose a bill to remove the monarchy. In Canada that level of agreement is nearly impossible, at least in this day and age.

The other problem is who would come up with a new system that ALL canadians could agree upon? And who would we make the head of state? Some old politician who has outserved his or her usefullness for anything else? One of the reasons our system works so well is that the Head of State and Head of Government are seperate.
Yeah I agree that most Canadians are probably indifferent about the whole royalty issue. Obviously because we feel that we're a fully independent nation. But I do think that we dont exactly need a Queen to differentiate us from Americans. Over the last couple of years we've had an immense opportunity to observe the many differences between Canada and our neighbours to the south. The two countries have different social, political, and religious values. Thats not to say that we dont have much in common ofcourse.
Its funny that you mentioned the Governor General. With the pomp and ceremony that sometimes surrounds her, you'd think she was a queen herself and I dont mean it in a bad way. I dont have anything against her really.

Old 10-10-2004, 02:45 AM
Serene Highness

Canada has a female Govenor General????

You really are ahead of Australia!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda

This actually our second female governor general our first female government was appointed in the late 1980s.

We also have a female Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Royal Highness

In my opinion the notion of monarchy is irrelevant. I will explain: I'm fond of all kind of monarchies but I wouldn't live in a monarchist country. for me, the concept of equality is valuable for the head of state: even if the head of state has no power, he must be chosen for his qualities and not for his birth (born in a royal family).
Why am I also interested in royalty? Because I'm fond of genealogy and glittering. But I'm seeing royalty as something superficial, and I don't like the idea of being bound to a kind of life and value by the only fact your ancestors are royal. And I would add that I live in a republican country where most of the royalists support values I can't stand.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Smile

Living in South Africa, we do not see royalty that often. But when we do it is an event. I guess you might say that the royals do not need us as much as we need them.

I have attended many functions were people recieve praise for their work, and be the thanks coming from the mayor or president - nothing brightens someones day if they are recieving an award from a royal. Its as if soemone special has touched their lives, even if it was only for a moment, they were part of soemthing bigger than themselves. I suppose it is the fairy tale in us that still places a greater significence on royals than on other people - but I thank them for carrying on their work despite all the crap they have to go through simply to live their lives.

I think the greatest thing about royals is they unite us in ways that treaties and such can never. Just think of the Commonwealth - now there is a bunch of people who would never think of coming together for anything if they were not tied together under the British crown. Call it subjugation, or colonialism, we are united through history to the monarchy. And ties like that can never be removed.

The thing I like most of royals is that everyone appears to have their favourite or the one they relate most to. I once met an elderly gentleman who had specifically asked the British Embassy if Prince Edward could have a walkabout in South Africa, so that he could see him and tell him that he had met his parents and his grandparents and his great grand father when he was in England during the war and to tell him that he was proud of him. I suppose we taken our royals into our heart - they became part of our family.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Aristocracy

We don't really know if it's that important!! But we like the Royal families a lot more than having for an example presidents!

But we're very happy that we have a Royal family here in Denmark...it's a great thing for the whole country to "admire" and they're a good image of the country in other countries :)
Old 10-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Courtier

Smile

Wow! This is very interesting. I've learned a lot from this thread.

The only countries where I think royalty is most likely to cease to exsist eventually is Canada and Australia mainly because of geographical location. I've read the discussions from the Canadians and Australians in this thread and it seems that this might happen sooner than later. I can see where some would want to maintain ties to the monarchy and I can also understand why some want to break away. Both are great countries and I hope for the best for both of them.

Meanwhile, here in the good ole USA, we continue to struggle along with one issue after the other but we're up the each and every challenge. I want to make everyone one laugh. There are bumper stickers on some cars that say: "Somewhere in Texas, there is a village missing an idiot." :)
Old 10-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

haha thats funny, yes i have also learnt alot in this thread, and i cant believe i started the thread lol, ive never started any thread where it goes to 2 pages lol
Old 10-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

I do have to say that when the Queen was in Canada on her Golden Jubilee tour in 2002, she was warmly received. She received flowers from thousands of children all over the country. But I suppose she wouldn't have been received any less warmly had she not been Queen of Canada anymore. The symbolic connection with the monarchy would still be there. It is said that the late Queen Mother had a special fondness for Canada and she must've made dozens of visits here. She also received very warm welcomes from most people here. Aside from these occasional visits though, the people of Canada have very little contact with the monarchy.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes that is the same here in Australia. But i think that the only reason why she gets a good reception when she comes is not because we have close feelings for the Queen but simply because she is famous and simply because she is a queen. Its the same when celebrities come, its not because we feel a closeness to them, its just that they are famous.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda

Some pictures of Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, she was born in Hong Kong

1. October 5, 2004. With Prime Minister Paul Martin
2. Canada Day, July 1, 2004
3. Canada Day, July 1, 2003
4. With Queen Elizabeth in Ottawa, October 15, 2002
5. With the Late Queen Mother at Clarence House in London October 31, 2000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DWF15-936990.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	47253   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	47254   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	47255   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	47256  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	47257  
Old 10-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen visiting Australia
CityAlice Springs
Old 10-15-2004, 01:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

that was when she came ages ago, i think she came recently,im not sure. Diana and charles came after their wedding to Australia.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Elizabeth last came to Australia in 2002 for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. I'll stop posting now, im annoying i know haha
Old 10-15-2004, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Did she not come to Australia for her Golden Jubilee tour? That was in 2002
Old 10-15-2004, 02:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes she did come for the golden jubilee coming to think of it. This is what she said in Australia on her last day:

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are due back in Britain on Monday morning, having visited Jamaica, New Zealand and Australia in their Commonwealth tour.

Speaking to the crowds at the People's Reception in Roma Street Parkland, the Queen said: "On this last day of my visit to Australia, I would like to express my gratitude to you all for the warmth of the welcome Prince Philip and I have received at every stage.

"Although the visit has been brief, it has provided both Prince Philip and I with the chance to witness at first hand the way in which Australia is facing up to the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century. "Once again we have both been struck by both the diversity as well as the dynamism of Australia, and the vigour and humour of Australians everywhere.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:29 AM
Courtier

im from australia and would be so sad if we ever lost our link with the royals... its herratige its important to keep what ppl have fought for in the past
Old 10-15-2004, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yes tradition is important, but where do you draw the line?
Canada has fought alongside Britain during the two world wars and before, but it wasn't out of love for the British monarchy. It was because Canada was a Dominion until the 1930s. Canadians had to go fight for Britian. Thousands of Indians fought for Britian as well, but hardly out of love for the empire.
I dont know about Australia but there have been conflicts like the Boer War during which many Canadians exressed an unwillingness to fight an unjust colonial war for the British.
I personally am somewhat indifferent about the monarchy issue but I do think that clinging to the monarchy just for the sake of "tradition" isnt a very good reason, especially in a country where not everybody agrees whether that tradition is worth keeping or celebrating. Im sure that Canadians of British decent will have a somewhat different view of the monarchy than those that come from lands that have experienced oppression and exploitation under the British Empire.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_barbarella
im from australia and would be so sad if we ever lost our link with the royals... its herratige its important to keep what ppl have fought for in the past
this is true...its sad because a majority of the time people even forget that Australia even has a Queen!!! If you ask people who's head of Australia they immediately reply Johnny Howard [will u please go on rove!]...