The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Majesty

The fact that you are here at a very busy royal forum, one among many sites dedicated to royalty is an indication it is.
But I'd rather reverse the question: Why in your opinion shouldn't monarchies be relevant in today's world?

Old 05-14-2017, 12:19 AM
Serene Highness

I think the world would be very boring without Royals and their day to day comings and goings. Not to say that they have any say really as to what happens in their Kingdoms because most of them are just figureheads but they do represent history and culture and dollars. I think without Royals there wouldn't be so many charities that benefit from having a royal appear at a charity function. Without royals there would be no royal weddings and royal births and there would be no over the top ceremonies for all to enjoy. I think some of us look at royals and try to better ourselves by emulating the good they do and there are some that loathe them for what they have and how they live. Without royals life would be rather dull, to me anyway. It's just nice to sometimes get away and live in another world even if it's from afar, for just a little while.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:45 AM
Gentry

At the end of the day the world won't be over if monarchies were gone. We evolve and move forward. I like royalty because its like an escapism. A fantasy!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:48 AM
Majesty

Royals are a figure head, a symbol of the country. In times of great trouble like terrorist attacks they often offer a rallying point of prayers and such. They seem as relevant today as two hundred years ago.

They also bring much needed attention to good causes. And they bring in tourism. Yes, countries without royals are still popular with palaces, but people do enjoy coming out for the pomp and circumstance of events like weddings and trooping. Which brings money into the area.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:08 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What I think is actually the best part of having a monarchy is that what they do, they do for all of the people without a political agenda. They are figureheads sure but they also represent their nations as a whole people which is sorely lacking sometimes in the country I live in. They keep alive the ages old traditions and history of where the people came from, what they've gone through and still have to face together as a nation.

Frankly, I think they are national treasures.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:40 AM
Majesty

I live in the Netherlands and in all honesty the monarchy has almost no relevance. King or no King, the machinery of State will go on, water will flow out of the taps, people will go to work like they do, day in, day out.

But being an irrelevance does not mean that it must be abolished. People feel attachment to the royal family. They belong to the most popular public figures. They are attached to the protocol and ceremonial which are now and then displayed. When palaces are opened, or when there are exhibitions or just (like at the moment) the royal airplane will end its function because a new is purchased, in no-time all cards to visit the outgoing plane are away.

So it is an irrelevance in daily life but that does not translate into: chop these heads off! Aside of nagging about costs, most people simply see the Royal House as part of the interior, as ornament of state, which is followed with interest.

I think this will more or less be similar in other monarchies.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Serene Highness

Duc et Pair. I believe you have expressed brilliantly. Countries without monarchy have other symbols that they respect to bring country together at times. Kings and Queens are human symbols that their citizens respect and expect to bring continuance to a country's traditions and customs. We citizens of non monarch countries are fascinated watching the different customs played out along with expensive jewelry from ages past worn along with those expensive clothes. To most of us it is a fascinating fairy tale life that only a few will ever enjoy. I personally give them all credit for withstanding all the criticism the media and citizens throw at them without them retaliating. The average person would find that quite taxing. So yes, most respect Kings and Queens although don't care too much about their personal families. I sincerely hope there will always be Kings and Queens. Lovely.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

I believe there is a place for royals and I will always believe that; I do know however that the 'fairy-tale' narrative has to end and royals have GOT to be asked upfront "do you really want to be in the succession with all the rules or are you going to walk away and live a life free of the constrictions, but no automatic deference?" Any threats to walk if they don't get what they want should be met with a smack-down and being told to bug off. Haakon hurled that threat at the head of his nation and I am certain there hasn't been any point to putting up with him. I would have ordered him to walk his backside out of that palace and sign away his status in a session of Parliament.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:36 PM
Nobility

Most monarchs are not figureheads, and politically dominant monarchies are abundant. For instance:

Quote:
In contrast, in Bahrain since protests began in mid-February [2011], at least 13 protestors have been killed during government crackdowns, and hundreds have been injured. Security forces have attacked hospitals and medical staff. Opposition leaders have been arrested, and Bahrain’s government has welcomed Saudi troops and declared martial law to quell what have been largely peaceful protests. All 18 members of the largest voting bloc in parliament have resigned to protest the government’s violent response to demands to give the elected parliament more power.

The decision to crackdown rather than take substantive steps toward a constitutional monarchy in Bahrain has been made by a king, Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.

The Constitutional Monarchy Option in Morocco and Bahrain | Middle East Policy Council
Quote:
Mr Thaksin, a telecommunications billionaire, had been swept to power in the wake of the 1997 Asian financial crisis. He managed to get Thailand's economy back on track by introducing mildly redistributive policies that benefitted people in previously neglected provincial areas. As a result, he became the first prime minister to complete a full term in office. His popularity soared, partly at the expense of the monarchy.

Previously, King Bhumibol had been regarded as the supreme patron of rural Thailand, initiating hundreds of development projects. With Mr Thaksin's rise many came to realise that an elected leader could improve their lives and lead to real structural change. They no longer felt dependent on a supposedly benevolent monarch who ruled by birthright.

But royalists began to fight back, spearheading a movement against Mr Thaksin which they formed in late 2005. Thaksin, however, proved resilient, backed by the majority of Thais. Poll after poll showed his apparently unbeatable popularity.

Without Bhumibol's blessing, he could never have been ousted by a coup in September 2006. Its leaders were granted an audience with the king immediately afterwards which was a clear sign of royal support.

Viewpoint: Did Thai king help stifle democracy? - BBC News
Old 05-15-2017, 04:06 AM
Majesty

Yesterday Manuel Valls, the former Premier Ministre of France commented on Emmanuel Macron, the new Président de la République (the two are not so on speaking terms anymore): "His entrance at the Louvre was positive. That mix of jeunesse and tradition is good. I have no problem with bonapartism: I know that this country needs symbols, something what François Hollande has forgotten".

François Hollande tried to be Monsieur Normal, but the French do not like their president riding on a scooter to his maîtresse. So far Emmanuel Macron has indeed used a mitterrandesque slowness in protocol: dignité. The pace he walked over that loooong red carpet at the cour of the Palais de l'Élysée, on the slow beat of the drums. The solmenity of the passation de pouvoirs. For so far the new president has understood the power of symbolism (at election night he walked to the Louvre under the arousing tones of Van Beethoven's Ode an die Freude, the anthem of the European Union. That was clearly prepared on beforehand).

See picture

So the question in this thread: royal relevance, lies in the power of symbolism, the theatre of state, the grandeur of a nation and it's history. France -however a republic- (and Portugal, and Italy) know this symbolism.

At the same time: that Macron does this, and not a King, is illustrative for the fact that it is not so hard to miss a monarchy when it is about splendor. Of course Macron, Hollande, Sarkozy, Chirac, etc. were divisive and partisan figures. A King is, usually, unpartial and "durable" (longer than a presidential term).
Old 05-15-2017, 04:26 AM
Majesty

You are absolutely right. I believe most people like a little splendor from time to time. A national pride thing I guess.
And those who don't absolutely love to complain about it. Alternatively point out to everybody and everything that they do not care one bit while, by chance of course, having followed it themselves.
So everybody are happy, except for the small minority who truly don't care. But who cares?
Old 05-15-2017, 05:34 AM
Serene Highness

For myself, I see the value of Monarchy essentially as providing -

1) An impartial apolitical centre figure around whom all citizens [regardless of political affiliations] can unite, especially during times of National crisis or celebration.

2) A Head of state beyond the reach of faction/machination/ambition or skulduggery.

3) A mirror of the 'family' unit [to which we ALL belong], in wider society, and whose 'milestones' we can mark in our National life..
Old 05-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yesterday Manuel Valls, the former Premier Ministre of France commented on Emmanuel Macron, the new Président de la République (the two are not so on speaking terms anymore): "His entrance at the Louvre was positive. That mix of jeunesse and tradition is good. I have no problem with bonapartism: I know that this country needs symbols, something what François Hollande has forgotten".
... [snipped]
It is absolutely wrong to apply the term "bonapartism" to President Macron. General Bonapart proved to be a successful military commander before becoming a leader of France. One can not say the same about the current president of the French republic.