Origin Of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it doesnt work, how frustrating! Anyway, Johan-Willem-Friso descends from the line:

Willem the rich-- Jan-- Ernst-Casimir-- Willem-Frederik--Hendrik-Casimir II--JWF

He inherits the titles from Willem III, who descends from:

Willem the rich--Willem I-- Frederik-Hendrik--Willem II--W3

Marengo said:
Irene Emma Elisabeth Irene means peace, so this also contains a wish from the parents, just before WWII ravished the Netherlands. Emma was the maternal grandmother of Queen Juliana, Elisabeth comes from Queen Elisabeth, the Queen Mother, godmother of Irene.
Margriet Fransesca Margriet (is dutch for Daisy) was the flower that symbolised hope and resistance (to the Nazi's) in the Netherlands. Dutchmen wore the flower in their coats, to show hopes for a free and bright future. Fransesca comes from her godfather, Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Intresting godparents, I didn´t know that they got such intresting persons as godparents.

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary:Elizabeth from her mother Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother,Alexandra from her great grandmum Queen alexandra and Mary from her grandmum Queen Mary of Teck.

Reina said:
Well I thni it was a battle b/t william (his mom's choice) and arthur (his dad's choice) for his 1st name, but his mom won.
hahaha...omg i can't imagine him being Prince Arthur....hahaha

i think its intresting this with names and royals wonder if they can giove a future king or queen any name.

maybe a Queen Nova of Sweden,
or King Vilgot of Sweden

How do you think they name Royal babies? can the parents name their child whatever they want or does it have to go through some process with the sovereign agreeing and everything??? And does anyone know why Royals generally have such long names? they have like 10 middle names or something!

Jasl said:
So there's a chance (however slim) that Fred and Mary's daughter will be named Olivia (pls pls pls)
It would be a nice tribute to singer Olivia Newton John who is Australian. Perhaps Mary & Fred will consider it? :)

wymanda said:
It would be a nice tribute to singer Olivia Newton John who is Australian. Perhaps Mary & Fred will consider it? :)
hahahaha...but why would they pay tribute to Olivia Newton John out of all people? ^___^ hahaha...

jasl,

nice try to chose name! but wait and see if Fred and Mary will chose names for baby not from you no! but let Fred and Mary wanted names for baby after her mum or from family generations what needs more understands.

my family have past and current my late grandfather have name that Richard they pass to my Uncle Jr but my late Grandfather is Sr but my cousin not Jr but dont have title yet! im not sure but my mom know about that anyway!

mostly Royal Family wanted chose name after their family and what means i understand Countess of Wessex have history from past and present.

Sara Boyce

Well conservative or not, Im just glad that royals arent like hollywood celebrities when it comes to naming their children. I understand the desire to be unique but some celebrity kids have totally ridiculous names.

There are many Princess Beatrice's out there (albeit not right at this moment), but still there have been many, so I wouldn't consider Princess Beatrice to be an uncommon royal name.

As for whether someone is Royal are not, do they have to hold a title to be considered Royal? I was under the impression that because Zara and Peter (and little Louise) are grandchildren of a reigning monarch (on who is/was reigning when they were born) that made them members of the royal family of Great Britain and they are indeed "Royal" despite the face that they don't technically hold titles (well Louise does...but you get my point.) If we are basing our decsions off title holders being Royals then Pauline certainly doesn't qualify! Nor do many others on the list...right?

If Frederik and Mary have a son, he'll be probably named after his great-grandfather: Christian. If you look at Frederik 's genealogy; there's a long succession of "Christian" and Frederik among the kings of Denmark.

But who knows?
I sincerely hope a little Princess will arrive next year. ;)
And i would be quite happy if she was called "Benedikte"...
(that's MY name!!!):D

how about the spanish royal family or the royal houses of sweden and denmark

Well, tradition is quite nice when it comes to names, but a little bit of originality now and then shouldn't go amiss. It's a bit like the ruckus concerning Mette-Marit's name when she married Haakon: some name-experts thought that she should choose a new name because it wasn't a very regal name... Getting new ideas into the royal families can be a good thing.

But when they begin naming their children after several fruit-sorts or trees... I think a line has been crossed. I don't think Prince Oak is a very royal name presently.

I think in the Japanese Royal family the grandparents name the child.
Aiko was named by her grandfather.
Could you imagine not having a say, what if they give your child a name you detest.

Royal families tend to stick to traditional names. I guess they think that its safe.
I'd like to see something a little more modern like Aaron.... for any royal

hillary_nugent said:
Anne, Charles and Helen have been around for a while....

but i like Eugenie and Zara ^__^

there used to be a queen of somewhere named eugenie

Did you know that the first imperor of Brazil, D. Pedro 1, had 20 names??!!! Imagine in a pronunciation.......God! I think that the babies that are more important...like, Elisabeth, Catharina-Amalia, Ingrid Alexandra, has their names for tradition....I think that the children of this young royals, like William, CP Victoria, will also have traditional names...

lamass said:
there used to be a queen of somewhere named eugenie

I believe that is the queen of Spain.
Beatrice was also a common royal name of many princesses including a daughter of Queen Victoria.

Eugenie was used for several royals. The last mpress of the french was called Eugenie. Her goddaughter was called Victoria-Eugenie (Queen of Spain). There also was a princess Eugenie of Greece & Denmark, a full cousin of The Duke of Edinburgh. The male version of this name, Eugen(e) was used as well for at least one Prince of Sweden and a Prince of Savoy (the one who protected Vienna against the Turks).

queen victorias youngest daughter was named Beatrice so I dont think it is so strange that prince Andrews daughter was named Beatrice

with the new royal babies where does there name comes from?

HRH The Earl of Wessex:
Edward Antony Richard Louis - The name of the Queen's youngest children was a great debate, resulting in the name been registered late and the Duke of Edinburgh getting a fine. Edward is for King Edward VIII and the Duke of Kent. Antony is for the Earl of Snowdon, Princess Maragret's ex husband. Richard after the Duke of Gloucester and one of the Hesse Kassel uncles. Louis after Lord Mountbatten and one of the Hesse - Kassel's.

Sophie Helen - Mary Rhys-Jones decided on the name after meeting a yuong girl, Sophie and her mom, she liked the sound of the name. Helen after her paternal Aunt, Helen Rhys-Jones who died when she was quite young in a horse riding accident.

Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary - Louise after Louise Mountbatten who later became Queen of Swedan (Duke of Edinburgh's Aunt) and Princess Louise
Alice after her paternal grandmother, Princess Andrew of Greece.
Elizabeth for both the Queen and the Queen Mother
And Mary for her maternal grandmother.

Prince Andrew - named after her paternal grandfather Prince Andrew of Greece.

Last edited:
Princess Alexia Juliana Marcela laurentien of the Netherlands:
Alexia: Maxima wanted to name her daughter after her husband (Willem-)Alexander so this was the possibility she picked.
Juliana: after Queen Juliana I of the Netherlands, grandmother of the Prince of Orange.
Marcela: a maternal aunt of Maxima & her godmother & witness at her wedding.
Laurentien: Married to Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands.

According to the crownprince, he and Maxima wanted to pick 3 strong women, from 3 generations, and hope that Alexia will inherit some of their characteristics.

what about any member of British Royals Family?

im not sure about Prince William and Prince Harry means? and late Diana,Princess of Wales?

Sara Boyce

p.s. about Queen's grandchildren

The Swedish Royal Family

I'm not sure about these names, but here are the connections I make:

King Carl XVI Gustaf (Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus)
Carl = A traditional name in the Royal Family, the name of many past kings and princes (also spelled Karl)
Gustaf = A traditional name in the Royal Family, the name of many kings and princes (also spelled Gustav)
Folke = Count Folke Bernadotte, international diplomat (he operated the famous ”white busses” from the concentration camps)

Crown Princess Victoria (Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée)
Victoria = Queen Victoria of Sweden, born Princess of Baden
Ingrid = Queen Ingrid of Denmark, born Princess of Sweden
Alice = Queen Silvia’s mother Alice Sommerlath, née de Toledo
Désirée = Queen Desideria (old time Swedish version of Désirée) of Sweden, also one of the King’s sisters bears the name

Prince Carl Philip (Carl Philip Edmund Bertil)
Carl = A traditional name in the Royal Family, the name of many past kings and princes (also spelled Karl)
Philip = Does anyone know? Could be a name they just liked
another possibility Carl Philip = Also the name of a past duke, Duke Carl Philip, son of King Charles IX
Edmund = Not sure, but his grandfather, Prince Gustaf Adolf, also carried this name
Bertil = Prince Bertil, an uncle of the King, and a beloved royal

Princess Madeleine (Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine)
Madeleine = Does anyone know? I guess a name they just liked
Thérèse = Does anyone know? Possibly Teresia of Sachsen-Altenburg
Amelie = Does anyone know? I guess a name they just liked
Josephine = Queen Josefina of Sweden (old time Swedish version of Josephine)

Josefine said:
Princess Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria; Catharina - Although her ancestors carried this name, she was not named after any of them.
Amalia - Like the name Catharina, many of her ancestors carried this name, thank you so much Dennism, The Watcher, montecarlo

Are you sure about this? I think I remember reading that the Prince of Orange chose the names after someone. Catharina from someone and Amalia from another. I think Amalia was from Amalia von Solms, but I am not sure.

The Danish Family

Her it goes:

Queen Margrethe II (Margrethe Alexandrine Thorildur Ingrid)
Margrethe = Queen Margrethe of Sweden(queen Ingrids late mother)
Alexandrine = Queen Alexandrine of Denmark (king Frederik 9.s late mother)
Thorhildur = at that time the Faeor islands was in union with Denmark and Greenland
Ingrid = Queen Ingrid of Sweden (queen Margrethes late mother)

CrownPrince Frederik (Frederik André Henrik Christian)
Frederik = King Frederik of Denmark (queen Margrethes late farther. The name Frederik has been used by many Danish kings
André = Prince Henriks late farther was callede André
Henrik = CrownPrince Frederik farther are named in Denmark Henrik,but in France it is Henri
Christian = King Christian of Denmark (CrownPrince Frederik great great farther was king Christian 10. of Denmark.

Alisa said:
Are you sure about this? I think I remember reading that the Prince of Orange chose the names after someone. Catharina from someone and Amalia from another. I think Amalia was from Amalia von Solms, but I am not sure.

Maby it is from Catharina the great of Russia ?

H.M. Margrethe said:
Thorhildur = at that time the Faeor islands was in union with Denmark and Greenland

Iceland, you mean, right? And in Icelandic it is spelled with the "thorn" or Þ or þ at the beginning which is like the "th" sound in English.

Back
Top Bottom