The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Amelia View Post
Beatrice is a very uncommon name in Royal circles. When Princess Beatrice (Victoria's daughter) was named, it was a shock, since the name Beatrice hadn't been used since the days of the Plantagenets. Since then, the name Beatrice (as a first name) has been used for only three other Princesses, two British and one Dutch.
There was a Spanish infanta named Beatriz, too. She was grand-daughter of Victoria's Beatrice, her mother was Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, queen of Spain.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalEnquirer View Post
Martha Louise was named after King Harald's mother, Princess Martha of Sweden. She passed away when Harald was quite young and before King Olav had even ascended the throne.
And Alexander was the original name of King Olaf before King Haakon accepted the Norwegian throne.
When looking at the old Norwegian Medieval kings, Sverre is a common name. There is an Ingrid (as a spouse) as well.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Infanta Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos:

Elena: was the name that Reina wanted to put to her first daughter I believe that because was the name of a doll that she had of girl
María: the mother of de King
Isabel: the name of the two queens of Spain
Dominica de Silos: Spanish traditional saint, I don´t know if he has some specific relation with the Royal Family
Actually, they named Infanta Elena after the Medieval Spanish Saint, Dominic de Silos (c. 1000). Dominic de Silos was a Benedictine Abbot known for his countless miracles. He is the Patron Saint of Pregnancy. Saint Dominic de Guzman, the founder of the Order of Preachers, or Dominicans, was also named after Saint Dominic de Silos. Infanta Elena was born on December 20, which is the feast of Saint Dominic de Silos
Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Commoner

What about the Luxembourg royals?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Courtier

According to knowingtheroyals.wordpress.com, Prince Felix of Luxembourg was named after his ancestor, great grandfather Felix of Bourbon-Parma.

How about the rest? GD Henri, GDss Maria Teresa, HGD Guillaume, Prince Louis, Princess Alexandra, and Prince Sebastien? Can anyone help us please?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

as Willem-Alexander stated before, when he ascends to the throne, he will be King Willem IV.
i wonder if Catharina-Amalia will drop her second name, and be Queen Catharina I.

Felipe and Letizia daughters:
Leonor: Because its traditional, has lots of history behind, and a name her parents liked.
Sofia: named after her paternal Grandmother La Reina Sofia.
De todos los Santos: Spanish royal tradition

Crown princes usually follow tradition and name their heirs with a lot of meaning, history and somewhat traditional.
for other children, they are "free" to chose a name to their liking, such as rare and modern names.

to me, i like traditional names and with history behind, because its what they are, royals (Christian, Ingrid, Elizabeth, Leonor, ...). but i enjoy when they name their children with diferent and unusual names (Vincent, Eleonore, Ariane,...), but i dont like weird and funny names (Luana, Zaria, ...) . so its kinda safe to follow traditions.

as Crown Princess Victoria's baby will be the heir of the heir, im sure it will have some meaning and history behind!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys82192 View Post
How about the rest? GD Henri, GDss Maria Teresa, HGD Guillaume, Prince Louis, Princess Alexandra, and Prince Sebastien? Can anyone help us please?
As for Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume, I believe he has been named after his uncle and godfather Prince Guillaume.
As for the Grand Duchess, both her mother and maternal grandmother were also named Maria Teresa.

The late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte has been named after Josephine de Beauharnais.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

What kind of name is Dagmar and where the heck did it come from?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
As for the Swedes:

Carl - a traditional Swedish royal name, shared by his father the King
Philip - not sure
Edmund - a family name started with his great-great-great-great grandfather, Arthur, Duke of Connaught (father of Princess Margaret)
Bertil - after the King's uncle

Madeleine - a Bernadotte family name
Thérèse - not sure
Amélie - Bernadotte family name
Joséphine - after Joséphine Bauharnais, the wife of Napoleon Bonaparte
I would guess that the name Carl Philip is after Karl Filip, Charles Philip, Duke of Södermanland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as he had been Duke of Värmland, as prince Carl Philip is today.

As for Madeleine, there has been a Swedish queen with the name Sofia Magdalena, Sophia Magdalena of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thérèse - it was the name of a Bernadotte princess, Princess Therese of Saxe-Altenburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amelie - not a Bernadotte name, but a Beauharnais name, Amélie, Amélie of Leuchtenberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , was the younger sister of queen Joséphine and the original owner of the Leuchtenberg saphires, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...o_corpo%29.jpg that queen Silivia likes to wear.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
What kind of name is Dagmar and where the heck did it come from?
Dagmar is a Scandinavian name, either from the Slavic Dragomira, meaning precious, peaceful, or from a Vendic name Dargmara, meaning maiden of the day.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Courtier

I believe that Prince Joachim of Denmark's name came from Saint Joachim, the father of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the grandfather of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Serene Highness

Leslie2006, I think Josephine most likely comes form Josephine of Leuctenberg, the wife of Oscar I of Sweden, so of Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Leslie2006, I think Josephine most likely comes form Josephine of Leuctenberg, the wife of Oscar I of Sweden, so of Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte.
Joséphine of Luechtenberg was the daughter of Eugène de Beauharnais, the only son of Joséphine de Beauharnais, the empress of Napoléon I, and she was very probably named after her grand-mother, so the name is after both Joséphines.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Courtier

The Queen of Bhutan's name, 'Jetsun', is a Tibetan name which means 'Holy'
Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Serene Highness

I know that HRH prince William,duke of Cambridge is
William
Phillip
Arthur
Louis
Old 01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wikipedia says that Prince William has been named after Prince William of Gloucester.
Philip is after the Duke of Edinburgh.
Arthur is also in the names of Prince Charles and King George VI, so I thought it was some kind of tradition.
Louis is after Louis Mountbatten.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Serene Highness

The original meaning of the word Karl/Carl/Charles/Karol is "man."
Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness

In the Arabs royal families they use the ancestors names, they keep repeating the old names.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
The original meaning of the word Karl/Carl/Charles/Karol is "man."
Why yes, "karl" still means "man" in Swedish, even though the "l" isn't pronounced anymore except in the given name "Karl" or "Carl". But orginally, it didn't just mean "man", but "free man", as in "not a slave".
Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Commoner

I always had a strange impression: Catholic royal houses generally use names of saints and Protestant royal houses use ethnic, classic and uncommon names.

Tags
duchess of kent, names, queen victoria, victorian era