The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Aristocracy

Japan

In Japan, the Emperor names the Crown Prince's children. However, Akihito did not do this, so Crown Prince Naruhito was allowed to name his daughter whatever he wanted. Thought Emperor Akihito was not allowed to name his own children whatever he wanted, his father decided it because he was the emperor back then.

If the baby is a girl, she has a name that ends with the "ko" suffix meaning "child" while a boy is named with the "hito" suffix meaning "virturious". The baby also has another name, (childhood name) that they use as a surname. (For example : Toshinomiya Aiko)

Just like in Europe, the children are frequently named after a relative, but not always the same. For example, Emperor Hirohito's daughter was named "Sachiko" after Emperor Mutsuhito's childhood name, "Sachi no Miya". These "Sachi"s are the same. The late Prince Takamado's second daughter is named "Noriko" after him, but the "Nori"s here are different.

As for name changes, it did not happen a lot, but the most famous is the renaming of Empress Shoken. She was originally called "Masako" (meaning victorious child) but upon marrying the Emperor Meiji she took the name "Haruko" (meaning beautiful child). The reason was so that her name could reflect the serene beauty she possessed and perhaps also a symbol of Japan going under changes.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Serene Highness

I personally like to see new names in the royal circle or at least resurrected older names like Sverre, it seems to me that there are just too many names like Mary, Elizabeth, Louise or Anne. I wouldn't want to see a royal child named Apple or Banana but I do like to see different names for the children. I was glad that Fred and Mary picked Isabella because I think it is not only a regal name but a very pretty name. Please I hope I don't affend anyone but I really don't like the name Irene and when I see that pretty little girl, I don't feel like the name fits her. Again, please this is just my opinion.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Serene Highness

I think Irene is good. It means "peace" in Greek. I'm sorry, but which country is this girl a princess in? But I prefer Isabella too. And Sverre is cute too. Mary, Elizabeth, Louise and Anne belong to older generations now. But when the small princes and princesses of today have children, those names may come back again.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 AM
Gentry

i love isabella... it's just beautiful and regal!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
I think Irene is good. It means "peace" in Greek. I'm sorry, but which country is this girl a princess in? But I prefer Isabella too. And Sverre is cute too. Mary, Elizabeth, Louise and Anne belong to older generations now. But when the small princes and princesses of today have children, those names may come back again.
I think Rebafan was talking about Infanta Cristina's daughter, Irene. I think Irene is a pretty name, but I too prefer the name Isabella. So much prettier!

I hope I don't offend anyone, when I say I like traditional names the most. Personally I would not like to see a "very unique" name for a baby. I don't like the names say, Luana or Zaria. Or Zenoushka. Too weird for my tastes.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Courtier

Zenouskha was named after the book Zen and the art of motor cycle maintence book. Her mother said so in an interview. But I think Luana, Zaria etc are so far down the royal line that they can get away with more unique names. They aren't going to be in the public eye very much.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100 View Post
Zenouskha was named after the book Zen and the art of motor cycle maintence book. Her mother said so in an interview. But I think Luana, Zaria etc are so far down the royal line that they can get away with more unique names. They aren't going to be in the public eye very much.
Thank you Fashionista, I did not know that. I was wondering how she got such a weird name.

Sometimes, they can't really get away with it. There are some nasty people who like to make fun of others' names. I hope and wish that does not happen to these children.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki View Post
from the Spanish Royal Family:

Sofía Margarita Victoria Federica
Sofía: the people shout that name when she was born, it also means "philosophy" in greek
Margarita: any ideas?
Victoria: name of queens
Federica: her mother's name
Sophia :after King Paul's mother, Sophie of Prussia ( and also people shouted it )
Margarita:one of Queen Frederika's names
Victoria: it was the name of Frederika's mother, Viktoria Luise
Frederica: after Queen Frederika

Her parents initially wanted to call her Olga , but when she was born , people gathered outside their villa in Psychiko shouting " Sophia!" , because they assumed that she was to be given her paternal grandmother's name , after the greek costume, so they named her Sophia after all. To be honest, I cannot imagine Queen Sofia being Olga ( Reina Olga I think sounds unusual for a Spanish Queen)
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
There are many Princess Beatrice's out there (albeit not right at this moment), but still there have been many, so I wouldn't consider Princess Beatrice to be an uncommon royal name.
Beatrice is a very uncommon name in Royal circles. When Princess Beatrice (Victoria's daughter) was named, it was a shock, since the name Beatrice hadn't been used since the days of the Plantagenets. Since then, the name Beatrice (as a first name) has been used for only three other Princesses, two British and one Dutch.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Aristocracy

I like Breatrice but I wouldn't name my kid that because it sounds too old
Old 04-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Where did Lady Gabriella Windsor get her name
Old 04-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

What about Catharina-Amalia? I know her middle names come from her grandmothers and godmother but where did Catharina-Amalia come from?

Her name would be Catherine-Amelia when translated in English right?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Majesty

how about princess Nathalies son, benediktes dougter
Old 01-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Where did Lady Gabriella Windsor get her name
I've heard that one of her maternal ancestors' name was Gabriele. I've also read that her parents chose Gabriella because they could call her "Ella" then and this would have to do with Grand Duchess Ella Fyodorovna. I'm not sure if one of the two theories is true - the only thing I know for sure: her middle name Ophelia she got because she's born on Shakespeare's birthday.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Childern of Philippe and Mathilde

Elisabeth Thérèse Marie Hélène
Elisabeth: 'oath of God'
Thérèse: mother Theresa
Marie: Maria, mother of Jesus (tradition in the royal family)
Hélène: godmother and sister of Mathilde

Gabriël Boudewijn Karel Maria
Gabriël: 'God is my strength'
Boudewijn: King Baudouin of Belgium, brother of the current king.
Karel: Godfather and brother of Mathilde
Maria: Maria, mother of Jesus (tradition in the royal family)

Emmanuel Leopold Guillaume François Marie
Emmanuel: 'God with us'
Leopold: Great-grandfather, King Leopold
Guillaume: Godfather, prince Guillaume of Luxembourg
François:

Eléonore Fabiola Victoria Anne Marie
Eléonore: 'God is my light'
Fabiola: Queen Fabiola
Victoria: Godmother, princess Victoria of Sweden
Anne: Grandmother, Anne Marie Komorowska
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
What about Catharina-Amalia? I know her middle names come from her grandmothers and godmother but where did Catharina-Amalia come from?

Her name would be Catherine-Amelia when translated in English right?
Not sure about Catharina, but there have been two Amalia's in Dutch history.
Nr. one: Amalia of Solms-Braunfels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nr. two: Princess Amalia of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Nobility

Norway's crown prince Haakon was named for his grandfather, Haakon VII. Martha Louise (Haakon's sister) I'm not so sure. Haakon's children, Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus - his daughter is named for Ingrid of Sweden (Queen of Denmark) and Alexandra is a family name, I believe. Sverre is an old royal Norwegian name, Magnus is Haakon's second name.

As for the Swedes:

Victoria - after Victoria of Baden (as well as Queen Victoria)
Alice - after Queen Silvia's mother, Alice Toledo
Ingrid - after Queen Ingrid of Denmark (born Princess of Sweden)
Desirée - after King Carl XVI Gustaf's sister, and an ancestress, Desirée Clary

Carl - a traditional Swedish royal name, shared by his father the King
Philip - not sure
Edmund - a family name started with his great-great-great-great grandfather, Arthur, Duke of Connaught (father of Princess Margaret)
Bertil - after the King's uncle

Madeleine - a Bernadotte family name
Thérèse - not sure
Amélie - Bernadotte family name
Joséphine - after Joséphine Bauharnais, the wife of Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Serene Highness

I just re-read this thread, there was so much wonderful information, thanks to everyone who did the research, I learned so much. I still stick with my first posting, I still love unusual names, just not weird ones like Apple, Pixie Dust, Rumor, Story, can you imagine having to go trough life with monikers like that. I read somewhere that Debra Winger(Actress) names her son Babe, doesn't she worry that her child will be picked on a lot. I like Gabriella, Isabella, Nicholas, Ariane. Why has there never been a Prince Mathew, Prince Luke? I know a lot of Royal names are christian names, just wondered?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
Norway's crown prince Haakon was named for his grandfather, Haakon VII. Martha Louise (Haakon's sister) I'm not so sure.
I'm pretty sure Martha Louise has been named after her paternal grandmother, Crown Princess Martha.
As for Haakon, also Queen Sonja's brother is named Haakon.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
Norway's crown prince Haakon was named for his grandfather, Haakon VII. Martha Louise (Haakon's sister) I'm not so sure. Haakon's children, Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus - his daughter is named for Ingrid of Sweden (Queen of Denmark) and Alexandra is a family name, I believe. Sverre is an old royal Norwegian name, Magnus is Haakon's second name.
Martha Louise was named after King Harald's mother, Princess Martha of Sweden. She passed away when Harald was quite young and before King Olav had even ascended the throne.

Tags
duchess of kent, names, queen victoria, victorian era