Origin Of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have not been able to find the answer to my question; what was the last name of the british royals before the first world war?

Before WW1 was the House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha (1901-1910) and before that was House of Hanover (1714-1901) Hopefully i am right?? But the House of Windsor started in 1910 just a year before the war.

Last edited:
betina said:
Dagmar and Thyra was the name of her maternal auts, Frederik 8. daughters Dagmar and Thyra. It can also be after Christian 9. daughters Dagmar (empress of Russia) and Thyra (of Hanover)
It was the maternal aunts, and not the maternal grand-aunts.

I'm kind of hoping that the Dagmar name will be reborn in the Danish royal family.

Roshanah said:
It's hard to say as to weather or not Prince Hamzah of Jordan, was named after a relative. KH and QN chose names with beautiful and pious meanings, in order to define their childrens respective characters

Prince Hamzah: Hamzah means Lion

Princess Iman: Iman means: Faith, Free, Belief and Void of Care.

Princess Haya: Haya means Life

Princess Zein: I think means Goodness

Princess Aishah: named after the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.s. second wife A'ishah R.A (The first female Jurist in Islam)

Princess Noor Al-Hamzah: Noor means light. If you translate her full name Noor Al-Hamzah it translates as: Light of the Lion.

King Abdullah: Abdullah means Servant of Allah s.w.t.

King Abdullah's Wife Queen Rania Al-Abdullah: Rania means Princess. Her full name Rania Al-Abdullah translates as: Princess of the Servant of Allah s.w.t.

Prince Faisal:means Decisive

Prince Hashim: Hashim means Generous

Prince Ali: Ali means Nobile and Sublime

King Abdullah II.: was named after King Abdullah I., King Hussein's grandfather.
Prince Faisal: was named after King Faisal I. of Iraq.
Princess Zein: was named after her paternal grandmother Queen Zein Al Sharaf.
Princess Haya: was named after King Abdullah's daughter.
Prince Ali: was named after Ali ibn Hussein, King of Hijaz.

Princess Raiyah's name means "flag," so in a way her name means "flag of al-Hussein." i read about it in Queen Noor's book. ;)

also mentioned in the book, they took a break from traditional family names to name Prince Hamzah, Princess Iman and Princess Raiyah. only Prince Hashim stayed in that way rather. ;)

is ther any royal house that do not follow tradition and give new baby a name with royal connection.
one example for me would be sweden to a surtain point as madeleine is not a royal name in the swedish history

Josefine said:
is ther any royal house that do not follow tradition and give new baby a name with royal connection.
one example for me would be sweden to a surtain point as madeleine is not a royal name in the swedish history

Madelaine was named after Madelaine Bernadotte, daughter of Prince Carl of Sweden (brother of CP Martha of Norway and Queen Astrid of the Belgians), so a royal history indeed.

Luana and Zaria of Orange-Nassau are new royal names. I hope no other royal will ever dream of using those names again either btw.

where did Princess grace get caroline , and stephanie name from ?? does any one know?

sm1939 said:
where did Princess grace get caroline , and stephanie name from ?? does any one know?
In the family tree there´s a Stephanie de Beauharnais, adoptive daughter to Napoleon I. Her grandaughter Marie Victoire Douglas Hamilton married Prince Albert I, they are the parents of Louis II, Rainier´s grandfather. As for Caroline, Prince Florestan I married a dancer called Caroline Gilbert, who gave him 2 sons: Charles III and Florestine. In honor of Charles the most important quarter was renamed Montecarlo. I hope this answers the question, don´t forget that Charles, Charlotte and Caroline have the same origin and meaning.

Does any one know where Pomeline comes from? I read Caroline named her daughter after a Princess of Monaco.Was there any Princess Pomeline?

Marengo said:
Madelaine was named after Madelaine Bernadotte, daughter of Prince Carl of Sweden (brother of CP Martha of Norway and Queen Astrid of the Belgians), so a royal history indeed.
Technically, Prince Carl's children weren't royal, because he lost his status when he married a commoner woman. But that's just me being picky.

Very interesting thread!

I'm interested in where Pomeline comes from as well. I've done numerous searches throughout the years trying to come up with some etymological information on Pomeline and I've yet to find anything (like what it means, how it's pronounced...)!

As for Luana and Zaria, I like them loads. Not traditional royal names by any means, but they're steeped in mythology. Luana was used for a heroine in Romanian mythology while Zaria is the goddess of beauty in Slavic mythology. It seems Prince Friso and Mabel like names with mythological meanings. :)

Also, I saw someone in a pervious post mention Anastasia "Anna" von Vollenhoven. Her first name came from the fact that she was born on Easter and since Anastasia means "resurrection", her parents thought it an appropriate name to use.

I thought I would add here, too, that Pablo Urdangarín's second name, Nicolás, comes from the fact that he was born on St. Nicholas's feast day, December 6th.

Other names I've wondered about are (in bold print):

Felicia von Vollenhoven
Zenouska Mowatt
Countess Luana's secondary name, Ninette
Isabella Lily Juliana von Vollenhoven
Lady Kitty, Lady Eliza Victoria, Lady Katya Amelia, Louis and Lady Lara Spencer
Maria Carolina de Bourbon-Parma, daughter of Princess Irene
Princess Elisabeth of Hesse-Darmstadt, daughter of Ernst Ludwig and Victoria Melita
Eloise and Estella Taylor
Lady Davina Lewis
Countess Leonore Marie Irene Enrica

Also, why is it that the older Spanish grandchildren, Felipe, Victoria, Juan and Pablo have secondary names (in addition to "de Todos los Santos"), but Miguel, Irene and Leonor (and probably the new little Infanta, as well) don't?

I think a lot of those names on your list were picked because the parents liked them,

In the case of Lady Eliza Victoria I would assume that Victoria is after her mother.

Eleanor Zara said:
Princess Elisabeth of Hesse-Darmstadt, daughter of Ernst Ludwig and Victoria Melita

Princess Elisabeth was named after an anscestor, who became a saint. I would have to look up the story, but it was a lady who was born in the house of Hesse (Brabant?). GD Elisabeth of Russia was named for the same lady.

Eleanor Zara said:
Also, why is it that the older Spanish grandchildren, Felipe, Victoria, Juan and Pablo have secondary names (in addition to "de Todos los Santos"), but Miguel, Irene and Leonor (and probably the new little Infanta, as well) don't?

I believe that it only has an explanation;) . When there were born the first grandchildren of the Kings, the press, instead of calling them by the first name, like the rest of members of the Royal Family, it was repeating the whole list of names.

The worst part took to Felipe Juan Froilán. The Dukes of Lugo, put the name of Froilan, for the saint of Lugo, but today in day it is a slightly common name. To the press it seemed funny, and they started calling the child Froilán. But his family always has been called the child Felipe. I imagine that for the boy to understand this situation has been difficult, because his name is Felipe, but they are called him Froilán.

Ultimately, it seems that they have decided that better one only name, because the certain thing is that will end up by turning mad the children.

We know that the little infanta in spain Sofia is called after queen sofia

Does any one know where Pomeline comes from? I read Caroline named her daughter after a Princess of Monaco.Was there any Princess Pomeline?
- I think that could be some version of Pameline - a Latin name. This name means: Made of honey. Suitable only for girls. It is not so popular name.
- Or maybe from male Pommelraie - a French name. This name means: Lives near the apple orchard. Suitable only for boys. It is not so popular name.?

But I found that Giovanni I Grimaldi Signore di Monaco, Mentone e Roccabruna e Patrizio Genovese (*1382, +1454) wive's name was Pomellina Fregoso (1387/8-1462). She was a daughter of Pietro I Fregoso (1330 - 1404) Doge di Genova and Benedetta Doria (+1410).

Last edited:
Hillary's 2nd FORUM

Hey everybody just a few minute ago i was going through a forum suggesting names for Princess Mary's future children's name and as i have noticed before the names are rather conservative....is there an unwritten rule for conservative names such as Victoria, Elizabeth, Louise, Charles etc. etc. ??? And this doesn't have to just apply to the English royalties ^___^

also what names would royalties never name their children?? ^__^ and what are the strangest and unique names that royalties have out there???

hahahaha my friends say i will never be a Princess because Hillary just wasn't made for the title >__< hahahaha

Wouldn't it be funny if Gweneth Paltrow's daughter became Queen!!! QUEEN APPLE!! hahahaha
HM Queen Elizabeth II's full name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.
Elizabeth = HM's mother's name, the late Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother,widow of the late King George VI.
Alexandra = HM's great grandmother's name, Queen Alexandra, widow of the late King Edward VII.
Mary = HM's grandmother's name, Queen Mary, widow of the late King George V.

Japan

In Japan, the Emperor names the Crown Prince's children. However, Akihito did not do this, so Crown Prince Naruhito was allowed to name his daughter whatever he wanted. Thought Emperor Akihito was not allowed to name his own children whatever he wanted, his father decided it because he was the emperor back then.

If the baby is a girl, she has a name that ends with the "ko" suffix meaning "child" while a boy is named with the "hito" suffix meaning "virturious". The baby also has another name, (childhood name) that they use as a surname. (For example : Toshinomiya Aiko)

Just like in Europe, the children are frequently named after a relative, but not always the same. For example, Emperor Hirohito's daughter was named "Sachiko" after Emperor Mutsuhito's childhood name, "Sachi no Miya". These "Sachi"s are the same. The late Prince Takamado's second daughter is named "Noriko" after him, but the "Nori"s here are different.

As for name changes, it did not happen a lot, but the most famous is the renaming of Empress Shoken. She was originally called "Masako" (meaning victorious child) but upon marrying the Emperor Meiji she took the name "Haruko" (meaning beautiful child). The reason was so that her name could reflect the serene beauty she possessed and perhaps also a symbol of Japan going under changes.

I personally like to see new names in the royal circle or at least resurrected older names like Sverre, it seems to me that there are just too many names like Mary, Elizabeth, Louise or Anne. I wouldn't want to see a royal child named Apple or Banana but I do like to see different names for the children. I was glad that Fred and Mary picked Isabella because I think it is not only a regal name but a very pretty name. Please I hope I don't affend anyone but I really don't like the name Irene and when I see that pretty little girl, I don't feel like the name fits her. Again, please this is just my opinion.

I think Irene is good. It means "peace" in Greek. I'm sorry, but which country is this girl a princess in? But I prefer Isabella too. And Sverre is cute too. Mary, Elizabeth, Louise and Anne belong to older generations now. But when the small princes and princesses of today have children, those names may come back again.

i love isabella... it's just beautiful and regal!

I think Irene is good. It means "peace" in Greek. I'm sorry, but which country is this girl a princess in? But I prefer Isabella too. And Sverre is cute too. Mary, Elizabeth, Louise and Anne belong to older generations now. But when the small princes and princesses of today have children, those names may come back again.

I think Rebafan was talking about Infanta Cristina's daughter, Irene. I think Irene is a pretty name, but I too prefer the name Isabella. So much prettier! :wub:

I hope I don't offend anyone, when I say I like traditional names the most. Personally I would not like to see a "very unique" name for a baby. I don't like the names say, Luana or Zaria. Or Zenoushka. Too weird for my tastes.

Zenouskha was named after the book Zen and the art of motor cycle maintence book. Her mother said so in an interview. But I think Luana, Zaria etc are so far down the royal line that they can get away with more unique names. They aren't going to be in the public eye very much.

Thank you!

Zenouskha was named after the book Zen and the art of motor cycle maintence book. Her mother said so in an interview. But I think Luana, Zaria etc are so far down the royal line that they can get away with more unique names. They aren't going to be in the public eye very much.

Thank you Fashionista, I did not know that. I was wondering how she got such a weird name.

Sometimes, they can't really get away with it. There are some nasty people who like to make fun of others' names. I hope and wish that does not happen to these children.

from the Spanish Royal Family:

Sofía Margarita Victoria Federica
Sofía: the people shout that name when she was born, it also means "philosophy" in greek
Margarita: any ideas?
Victoria: name of queens
Federica: her mother's name
Sophia :after King Paul's mother, Sophie of Prussia ( and also people shouted it :flowers:)
Margarita:eek:ne of Queen Frederika's names
Victoria: it was the name of Frederika's mother, Viktoria Luise
Frederica: after Queen Frederika

Her parents initially wanted to call her Olga , but when she was born , people gathered outside their villa in Psychiko shouting " Sophia!" , because they assumed that she was to be given her paternal grandmother's name , after the greek costume, so they named her Sophia after all. To be honest, I cannot imagine Queen Sofia being Olga ( Reina Olga I think sounds unusual for a Spanish Queen)

There are many Princess Beatrice's out there (albeit not right at this moment), but still there have been many, so I wouldn't consider Princess Beatrice to be an uncommon royal name.
Beatrice is a very uncommon name in Royal circles. When Princess Beatrice (Victoria's daughter) was named, it was a shock, since the name Beatrice hadn't been used since the days of the Plantagenets. Since then, the name Beatrice (as a first name) has been used for only three other Princesses, two British and one Dutch.

I like Breatrice but I wouldn't name my kid that because it sounds too old :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom