The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMinka
Leah Isadora Behn: Leah Isadora
Leah: After Princess Leia in Star Wars.. I think Märtha was just joked when she said that
Isadora: After Isadora Ducet (sp?) Ari have always been fasinated of her fantastic life and tragical dead
It was after the famous dancer, Isadora Duncan. :)

Old 09-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
It was after the famous dancer, Isadora Duncan. :)
Thanks, I never remember her name!

Old 09-27-2005, 07:58 AM
Aristocracy

Regarding Prince Edwards middle names i have read in the book called Royal Children that his middle names were taken from his godparents. From what I remember Prince Richard now the Duke of Gloscshire (sp) was one of his godparents. As for the Queens grandchildren the only ones I know who they were named after are Peter and Zara Phillips.

Peter Mark Andrew- Peter was his paternal grandfather Major Peter Phillips, Mark after his father and Andrew after Prince Andrew Duke of York.

Zara Anne Elizabeth- Zara was a name that was thought of by Prince Charles, it means bright as dawn. Princess Anne liked the name so it became her first name. Elizabeth is after the Queen and Anne is after her paternal grandmother Anne Phillips.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Zara was a name that was thought of by Prince Charles, it means bright as dawn.
Really? I didn't know that, very interesting. :)
Old 09-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Harry
Henry - Possibly after the late Duke of Gloucester
Charles - His father
Albert - The given name of his great grandfather George VI
David - The name by which the Duke of Windsor was known in the family. Also Viscount Linley's given name.

Princess Beatrice (Elizabeth Mary)
Beatrice - Queen Victoria's youngest child who was the mother of Queen Ena of Spain
Elizabeth - For her Grandmother & Great-Grandmother
Mary - For Queen Mary

Princess Eugenie (Victoria Helena)
Eugenie - After Empress Eugenie of France
Victoria - Queen Victoria {Victoria-Eugenie was also the given name of Queen Ena}
Helena - Third daughter of Queen Victoria, she was known in the family as Lenchen
Old 09-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

Anybody know why Princess Stephanie of Monaco has the firstname : Stephanie ???

Even my sister doesn't know ;-)

Caroline, I see it's ancestors
Albert is clear as well...

but: Stephanie ??? I thought it might have been a name en vogue in the mid-60s, but I'm not sure. Anyone????
Old 09-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Serene Highness

King Mohamed VI Morocco : after the prophet and his grand father the late King Mohamed V
Prince Moulay Hassan : after his grand father , late king Hassan II
Old 09-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Courtier

Many seem to think that the name David in the British Royal Family is after the Duke of Windsor. But the Queen Mother's favorite brother was named David and it seems more likely to me that this other uncle may be the source.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
Well, tradition is quite nice when it comes to names, but a little bit of originality now and then shouldn't go amiss. It's a bit like the ruckus concerning Mette-Marit's name when she married Haakon: some name-experts thought that she should choose a new name because it wasn't a very regal name... Getting new ideas into the royal families can be a good thing.

But when they begin naming their children after several fruit-sorts or trees... I think a line has been crossed. I don't think Prince Oak is a very royal name presently.
has any queen or princess maybe changed her name in the last years when getting married
Old 10-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Majesty

how about the new Belgium prince and the children of Astrid of Belgium or the Luxembourg family
and the children of WA brothers
Old 10-12-2005, 06:04 PM

Re:

Zenouska - Granddaughter of Princess Alexandra

What a wierd name that is. Very un-royal!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Emmanuel Léopold Guillaume François Marie

Emmanuel: i remember someone mention about the names coming from the bible
Leopold: past King of the Belgiums
Guillaume: HGD Guillaume of Luxemburg
François: no idea....
Marie:no idea....
Old 10-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Courtier

François - could be because he was born on the feast day of St. Francis of Asissi (sp?)
Marie - I think all the members of his family have it somewhere in there name
Old 10-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Nobility

Stephanie of Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian
Anybody know why Princess Stephanie of Monaco has the firstname : Stephanie ???

Even my sister doesn't know ;-)

Caroline, I see it's ancestors
Albert is clear as well...

but: Stephanie ??? I thought it might have been a name en vogue in the mid-60s, but I'm not sure. Anyone????
She was named after Stephanie Louise de Beauharnais, brother of Grand Duke Karl Ludwig Friedrich of Baden. Parents were Princess Marie Amelie Elisabeth Caroline of Baden and Duke William Alexander Anthony Archibald Hamilton.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Nobility

It's hard to say as to weather or not Prince Hamzah of Jordan, was named after a relative. KH and QN chose names with beautiful and pious meanings, in order to define their childrens respective characters

Prince Hamzah: Hamzah means Lion

Princess Iman: Iman means: Faith, Free, Belief and Void of Care.

Princess Haya: Haya means Life

Princess Zein: I think means Goodness

Princess Aishah: named after the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.s. second wife A'ishah R.A (The first female Jurist in Islam)

Princess Noor Al-Hamzah: Noor means light. If you translate her full name Noor Al-Hamzah it translates as: Light of the Lion.

King Abdullah: Abdullah means Servant of Allah s.w.t.

King Abdullah's Wife Queen Rania Al-Abdullah: Rania means Princess. Her full name Rania Al-Abdullah translates as: Princess of the Servant of Allah s.w.t.

Prince Faisal:means Decisive

Prince Hashim: Hashim means Generous

Prince Ali: Ali means Nobile and Sublime
Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarotonga
She was named after Stephanie Louise de Beauharnais, brother of Grand Duke Karl Ludwig Friedrich of Baden. Parents were Princess Marie Amelie Elisabeth Caroline of Baden and Duke William Alexander Anthony Archibald Hamilton.
Thanks very much for this information ! :)
Old 10-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Countess Eloise Sophie Beatrix Laurence van Oranje-Nassau: Sophie after her godmother, miss Sophie de Wauw, Beatrix after her paternal grandmother and Laurence after her maternal grandfather.

Count Claus-Casimir Bernhard Marius Max van Oranje-Nassau: Claus after his paternal grandfather, Casimir is a traditional name in the house of Orange-Nassau, Benrhard is the father of Queen beatrix, Marius for the brother of Laurentien and Max after the godfather of Constantijn: Max Kohnstam.

Countess Emma Luana Ninette Sophie van Oranje-Nassau, Emma after Queen Emma of the Netherlands or for her godmother, Emma Bonino, the other names I do not know.

Anastasia Margriet Josephine van Lippe-Biesterfield van Vollenhoven: Margriet for her paternal grandmother and Josephine for her maternal grandmother, Mrs. Jose(phine) van den Broek-van Schendel.

Lucas Maurits Pieter Henri van Lippe-Bieterfield van Vollenhoven: Maurits after his father, Pieter after his paternal grandfather and Henri after his maternal grandfather.

Felicia Juliana Benedicte Barbara, Juliana after Queen Juliana, the other names I can not explain, but somewhere it was suggestted that Benedicte was in honout of the new pope.

Isabella Lily Juliana van Vollenhoven: Juliana after Queen Juliana

Samuel Bernhard Louis van Vollenhoven: Bernhard after the father of Queen Beatrix.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Aristocracy

Okay, this may sound corny, but I was reading a book and the author believed that Prince Andrew and Sarah purposely named Beatrice so that could shorten it to Bea, as in the bees on the Ferguson family shield. Knowing Andrew's and Sarah's sense of humour, it could well be true, it wasn't the official given reason. Because Sarah liked the name when she was writing a book on Queen Victoria, it was around the same time she found she liked the name Eugenie.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Serene Highness

About the casiraghi trio and Alex

Andrea Albert Pierre: Andrea-name of a Stefano´s friend, who´ve died some time ago. Pierre-Caroline´s grandfather. Albert-not sure, but i could be for Prince Albert

Charlotte Marie pomeline: Charlotte-Caroline´s granmother. And about Marie pomeline i have not any ideas.

Pierre Stefano Ranier: Pierre-Caroline´s grandfather again,Stefano:for his father and Ranier for his grandfather.

I dont know all Alexandra names but she was named for all her godmothers (one of them are Charlotte, Virginia)
Old 10-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piewi
About the casiraghi trio and Alex

Andrea Albert Pierre: Andrea-name of a Stefano´s friend, who´ve died some time ago. Pierre-Caroline´s grandfather. Albert-not sure, but i could be for Prince Albert

Charlotte Marie pomeline: Charlotte-Caroline´s granmother. And about Marie pomeline i have not any ideas.

Pierre Stefano Ranier: Pierre-Caroline´s grandfather again,Stefano:for his father and Ranier for his grandfather.

I dont know all Alexandra names but she was named for all her godmothers (one of them are Charlotte, Virginia)
Marie of Charlotte Marie Pomeline is due to her aunt Stephanie second name: Stephanie Marie Elisabeth

As for Stephanie's children:

Louis Robert Paul : Louis - Stephanies great-grandfather (and one of her father's and brother's names) . Robert - Daniel's second name, Paul - Daniel's grandmother who was called Pauline ( and a bit in for Paul Belmndo, he was Stephanie's friend when her mom died)

Pauline Grace Maguy: Pauline - Daniel's grandmother , Grace - Stephanie's mother, Maguy - Daniel's mother

Camille Marie Kelly: Camille - some ancestor woman of the Grimaldi family, Marie - Stephanie's second name, Charlotte's second name, Kelly - Stephanie's mother's family name

Tags
duchess of kent, names, queen victoria, victorian era