The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

We should also remember that had she been male, Margrethe would have been named Christian. By naming her son Frederick she's continuing the tradition of alternating monarchs and establishing herself as Christian.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Viscount Linley's Children

Charles Patrick Inigo

Charles: is after the Prince of Wales.
Patrick: is the patron saint of Ireland - Charles's mother was born in Limerick.
Inigo: is after Inigo Jones, who is said to be Linley's hero.

Margarita Elizabeth Rose Alleyne

Margarita: is a diminutive of Margaret, her paternal grandmother's name.
Elizabeth: I assume is after the Queen Mother, although I'm not 100 % sure as it could be after HM.
Rose: was personally selected by Margarita's brother Charles.
Alleyne: is a name in her mother's family.

I know they're not really royal!

HM (Elizabeth II)

I remember hearing that she was actually named after Elizabeth I, and not The Queen Mother like I assumed.

"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Alleyne is also Serena's own middle name.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Yes I know; which is why I said "a name in her mother's family" for Alleyne. The other reason was because I knew that either the Viscountess's mother/grandmother shared the same name, but wasn't sure which.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
We should also remember that had she been male, Margrethe would have been named Christian. By naming her son Frederick she's continuing the tradition of alternating monarchs and establishing herself as Christian.
She and Prince Henrike have also said that the saw it as a possibility that the numbers of the Frederik's and Christian's would be the same. Because until now the number of the Christian's is one higher then the Fredederik's. But as it is now Margrethe II. will be succeeded by Frederik X. wo will be succeeded by Christian XI.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes I know; which is why I said "a name in her mother's family" for Alleyne. The other reason was because I knew that either the Viscountess's mother/grandmother shared the same name, but wasn't sure which.
Name of Serena's mother is Virginia Alleyne, grandmother's name was Dorothy Alleyne. So it looks like female line tradition.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Princess Elisabeth was named after an anscestor, who became a saint. I would have to look up the story, but it was a lady who was born in the house of Hesse (Brabant?). GD Elisabeth of Russia was named for the same lady.
Prince Charles of Hesse and by Rhine lived from 1809 to 1877.
In 1836, he married Princess Elisabeth of Prussia (1815-1885).
This Princess Elisabeth is the ancestress and great-grandmother of Princess Elisabeth of Hesse, daughter of Ernest Louis.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Viscount Linley's Children

Charles Patrick Inigo

Charles: is after the Prince of Wales.
Patrick: is the patron saint of Ireland - Charles's mother was born in Limerick.
Inigo: is after Inigo Jones, who is said to be Linley's hero.

Margarita Elizabeth Rose Alleyne

Margarita: is a diminutive of Margaret, her paternal grandmother's name.
Elizabeth: I assume is after the Queen Mother, although I'm not 100 % sure as it could be after HM.
Rose: was personally selected by Margarita's brother Charles.
Alleyne: is a name in her mother's family.

I know they're not really royal!

HM (Elizabeth II)

I remember hearing that she was actually named after Elizabeth I, and not The Queen Mother like I assumed.
Rose was also Princess Margaret's middle name.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Oskar (Oscar) of Prussia was the fifth son of Emperor Wilhelm II of Prussia.
Wilhelm named his son Oskar after Oscar II, King of Sweden.

Tags
duchess of kent, names, queen victoria, victorian era