The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Here are a few beautiful pictures of castel Neuschwanstein and the amazing countryside that surrounds it:
Oh, I certainly agree with you. As a small girl, I always loved this castle and just knew that was where Cinderella and Prince Charming lived!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Nobility

Air Conditioning?

Air conditioning has been on my mind a lot this summer with the excessive heat that we've had to endure. So it might not be too surprising, then, that this question sprang to my mind: "Are most of the royal residences in Europe air conditioned?" Is Buckingham Palace? Zarzuela Palace? Clarence House? the Hofburg? What about outside Europe: Government House in Wellington or Ottawa?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

To be honest, I very much doubt BP, Sandringham or Balmoral have it.
Clarence House, I imagine all the government houses abroad will have it. The weather elsewhere is a little nicer and more predictable than the UK.

I imagine Zarzuela has something due to Spain being very warm, possible other palaces, depends where they are.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Courtier

I think most of the European ones don't have it (except possibly the hot Spanish palaces), like most other buildings and houses in Europe. I'm pretty sure Buckingham Palace doesn't - I was in London once when they were having a bit of a heat wave, and I remember seeing lots of open windows at Buckingham. Fredensborg and Amalienborg don't have it, either. I visited Denmark a few weeks ago during an unusual hot spell (like 80F) and toured both palaces, and both were quite warm and stuffy inside.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Aristocracy

Well, I guess they don´t, at least most of them. Most of Europe doesn´t use climat as excessively as they are used for ex. in the US. The houses here normally are built "better" - say they considered the weather of the regions when building the houses. Of course it saves a lot of energy or better said energy is not vasted.
Palaces usually have thick walls and I guess they don´t get that hot quickly.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Royal Highness

Like everyone else, Ii imagine that the Zarzuela Palace has some form of air-conditioning - most probably ceiling fans. I cannot imagine Buckingham Palace having air-conditioning although there could be a few fans dotted about the place! It's true that as Palaces tend to have thicker walls it's likely they'll remain cooler.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

There are many around the world some are private residences of the royals some are now museums but do you have a favorite?
Has anyone visted any of the palaces mention and apparently the most popular visited are: the palace of Versailles, Buckingham palace, the royal palace of Madrid and the louvre(the tulieres palace). I wish I could visit them all

Hampton court
Kensington palace
Buckingham palace
Amalienborg palace
Schonbrunn palace
Hofburg
The winter palace
The palace of Versailles
Peterhof palace
The Alexander palace
Livadia palace
Yelagin palace
Moika palace
The royal palace of Stockholm
The impireal palace of japan
Akasaka palace
The royal palace of Amsterdam
The royal palace of oslo
The pitti palace
Palazzo reale
Palazzo ducale
The Belgian royal palace
The ducal palace of luxembourg
The prince's palace of monaco
Ioni palace
The Catherine palace
Het loo palace
The tulieres palace(louvre)
The royal palace of Madrid
Aranjuez palace
El escoral palace
Achilleon palace

They are all so imperial and have their own design inside and out and ,so very beautiful rooms, and even though they are royal I would like to add Windsor castle, balmoral castle and the biltmore estate are all just as beautiful as an imperial residence in use by a royal family.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Imperial?
Winter Palace
Alexander Palace
Catherine Palace
Can you tell I have a thing for Russia?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Aristocracy

schonbrunn palace in vienna is one of my all time favorites
Old 07-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

There are magnificent castles of Japan with Himeji Castle being my personal favourite.
10 Amazing Japanese Castles, Japan castle photos and facts | Teach English in Asia
Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Commoner

The Vatican!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Royal Highness

My personal favourites (and they are really famous):

- The Palace of Versailles [France]
- Forbidden City [Imperial Palace of China];
- Buckingham palace [England]
- Himeji Castle [Japan]
- Schonbrunn Palace [Vienna, Austria]
- Pena Palace «or "Palácio da Pena"» [Sintra, Portugal]
- Winter Palace [Russia]
Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

A favourite: Chateau de Malmaison, the home of empress Joséphine:
National Museum of the Chteau de Malmaison
Chateau de Malmaison, Tourisme Rueil Malmaison 92
The château de Malmaison – Josephine Bonaparte’s lush manor - Hotels Paris Rive Gauche Blog

Sanssouci, Potsdam, Germany, with a wonderful English garden:
Sanssouci - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Castle of Turku/Åbo, now museum. Not to live in but a castle I like to visit:
Turku Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Commoner

The most impressive is "Palacio de Oriente" also called "Palacio Real de Madrid", I've been there and the view from "Campo del Moro" is spectacular, It's sooooo huge, somepeople criticize SRF for not to live here but this was the King own decision, he said this Palace is too huge to live in there so he chose a more familiar Palace, La Zarzuela Palace is his private residence but his official residence is Royal Palace of Madrid. I've been also at Buckingham Palace and It's smaller and not so amazing.

But I think the most beautiful Palace is "La Granja de San Ildefonso", the gardens are so beautiful. It's mine Price and Prejudice's Pemberly
Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Administrator

La Granja Royal Palace, Spain

Here's a pic...
Royal Palace of La Granja, San Ildefonso, Spain

Formerly the summer residence of the Spanish Monarchs since Philip V.
Construction of the complex began in 1721 in the style of "restrained baroque".

= Picture courtesy of Wikipedia and reproduced under the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 =

Old 10-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness

La Granja looks absoluetely fabulous...I am sad because I didn´t see it when I was in Madrid :-(
Found some pictures of the beautiful Palace garden here (click on the images to see a larger version): Southern Art and Design-Jeffery McCullough: Hola from Madrid Part 2! Gardens at Royal Palace-La Granja
Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Administrator

England's lost grand houses

MailOnline - England's Lost Downtons

"Death, debt, urban sprawl: there are many reasons why England has lost so many of its Downton Abbeys. A third of Britain’s historic estates, with their elegant country houses, deer parks, farms and churches with family crypts, have been demolished, diminished or turned into flats — 1,000 since World War II. The lucky ones got taken over by the National Trust. The unlucky ones had the contents ripped out and sold off and were then flattened by developers.

Historian John Martin Robinson’s new book, Felling The Ancient Oaks, How England Lost Its Great Country Estates (Aurum, £30), examines the fate of 21 of these extinct estates, illustrated by poignant photographs of a lost world.

Primogeniture, or inheritance by the senior male heir — as seen in ITV’s Downton — may have preserved many more estates in Britain than other countries in Europe, but the scale and variety of what has vanished — to be replaced by caravan parks, office blocks and golf courses — is quite staggering. And almost universally aesthetically disastrous, as landscaped gardens and ancient oaks were felled and covered over with concrete.

Some were inherited by a foolish spendthrift — such was the scale of these places that one irresponsible heir could destroy the work of generations. Others were passed down to heirs who, understandably, couldn’t face the vast expense required for upkeep of places that needed dozens of servants to maintain them. Others still were swallowed by urban expansion.

Here are some of the unfortunate ones that didn’t make it..."

> Here are some teasers:
1. The Deepdene
2. Costessey Hall
3. Haggerston Castle
4. The Dancing Marquess of Anglesey

Images not subject to copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Deepdene.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	134.6 KB