Royal and Noble Castles and Palaces

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are fooled by the frontside of Noordeinde

Iain said:
Many palaces are huge places that nobody in their right mind would want to live in. My ideal palace would be small and homely so I'd pick Noordeinde in The Hague or the royal palace in Nuku'alofa, the capital of Tonga. This palace only has eight rooms and you can just imagine yourself living here.

I think you are fooled by the front cour (the eldest part of the palace).
Noordeinde is much bigger than you would think, see these two pictures:

Frontside palace

Backside palace

Backside palace in 1814

Last edited:
The most beautiful castel in the world must be Castel Neuschwanstein in Bavaria / Germany(wich is know as the "Fairytale Castel" ) :flowers: .
Neuschwanstein

I also love Castel Schönbrunn in Vienna/ Austria: The Sissi catsel;) .
Schönbrunn

I would chose Rosenborg Castle.

It is apropriate in size and not enourmes.

Its a fairytale type of castle with all its details.

It is old, but not so old, that is mideval style.

It has a nice large park for a garten.

... and is located downtown just a few hundreds metres of the 1 mile long pedistrian shopping street, art museums, botanical garten, restaurant, cinemas. Everything within walkingdistance. Top nice location. :cool:

http://smerritt.com/photos/copenhagen/Rosenborg%20Slot.jpg

Château de Chambord

Château de Chambord could have been owned by the Duke of Parma and the children of Princess Irene of the Netherlands (eldest sister to Queen Beatrix). Sadly to poor financial settlements and a rift between two family factions, it got lost for the family De Bourbon de Parme in 1930.

Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima could have visited their uncle Prince Carlos-Hugo and their cousins Prince Carlos, Princess Margarita, Prince Jaime and Princess Maria Carolina in this mighty fairytale castle.....
*... sigh ...*

By the way, Chambord was by all means meant 'to show off', like Versailles and other grand houses. It is not very useful for a nice and cosy family life. Remember that royals often went to smaller places, often in the same park to have a real life. Queen Marie-Antoinette escaped the strangling courtlife at the Petit Trianon, a sort of Highgrove in the park of Versailles. You see the same with the cosy Het Oude Loo, in the same park as the grand Het Loo Palace, still in use by Queen Beatrix for real family life, while the grand palace is only for representation.

Last edited:
I think that I'd have to pick and choose from a lot of different palaces. I like the Palace (Het loo?) in the Netherlands that is surrounded by water (the one where Princess Margriet has her estate, what's its name?), because I think the water is cool.
I love the greenhouses at Philippe and Mathilde's home, palace Laeken, because they are so beautiful and extensive, and so relaxing to walk through. I love visiting conservatories, and to have one in my own home, I'd love it!
The chandeliers in the Palacio Real in Madrid are unbelievable. They are so beautiful, and sparkle so wonderfully, you just have to see them in person.
http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Western_Europe/Spain/Madrid%20Royal%20Palace/madrid5.jpg

My perfect picturesque palace, though (I've never been there, but I've heard about it) is the Alcazar in Segovia, Spain. It is so beautiful!!!
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/spain/segovia/alcazar/frmbus.jpg
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/spain/segovia/alcazar/distantend.jpg
http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Western_Europe/Spain/Alcazar-Segovia/856030.JPG

LadyK said:
I think that I'd have to pick and choose from a lot of different palaces. I like the Palace (Het loo?) in the Netherlands that is surrounded by water (the one where Princess Margriet has her estate, what's its name?), because I think the water is cool.

Het Loo and the surrounding Crown Domains are an enormous estate with various buildings on it. The most known building is the palace (aerial picture) build by William III. But the building surrounded by water is the medieaeval castle (picture) which is in use as a weekend retreat to the Queen. It is not far from the palace, but you will only see a flagpole peeping over the naked trees in winter, it is hidden in the forests.

Princess Margriet does live on the Crown Domain indeed, but not in the palace or the castle. She lives in a modern bungalow (picture) in the middle of the forests. There is no clear picture of this very private house.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I am not sure of the Bourbon-Parma's still have a castle in France. They sold Chambord years ago. The late count of Paris also sold Chateau Amboise I believe and I don' t think the Orleans family has any other castles.

As for other nobles and royals, maybe Prnce Pierre de Aremberg and his wife (Sylvia de Castellane) have a chateau somewhere, they seem to be quite well-off. Albert and Paola have a villa somewhere in the south of France, as o the Luxembourg royals I believe (and maybe even the Swedish).

Château de Lignières - De Bourbon de Parme and the Orange-Nassau millions

The Château de Lignières in France, near Bourges, is owned by the family De Bourbon de Parme.

Château de Lignières (big picture)

Château de Lignières and chapel (big picture)

When Prince Carlos-Hugo de Bourbon de Parme married Princess Irene of the Netherlands in 1964, it was like a silver fleet had arrived at Lignières.

The rich bride realized that the Château de Lignières would become the residence of her spouse, the future Duke of Parma and agreed that millions of her private Orange-Nassau fortune were spent in a lavish restoration of the grand building.

The four children of Prince Carlos-Hugo and Princess Irene were all baptized at the chapel of the Château de Lignières, in attendance of their grandmother, Queen Juliana of the Netherlands.

Picture: the Duke and at his left: Margarita - Jaime - Carlos - María Carolina

Sadly enough the marriage of the Duke and Duchess of Parma collapsed in 1981. When Prince Carlos-Hugo's mother died, an open family feud became visible. In 1979 Prince Carlos-Hugo had abandoned Carlist claims and became a naturalised Spanish citizen as 'Don Carlos-Hugo de Borbón-Parma y Borbón' by royal decree of King Juan Carlos. His mother and younger brother were not amused: they stood for old and traditional Carlism and never renounced their claim on the Spanish throne.

His mother, the Dowager Duchess of Parma, changed her will and bequeathed the castle to her younger son Prince Sixte-Henri. At present the castle is still in hands of Prince Sixte-Henri, who is unmarried and has no heirs. In between 1981 and now, the castle has fallen into a poor state.

Most likely the castle will be bequeathed to his nephew Prince Carlos, the eldest son of his brother Prince Carlos-Hugo and of Princess Irene. He and his siblings will need their Orange-Nassau fortunes very much, to restore this Bourbon heirloom...

Last edited:
Most Impressive Palace

I've seen pictures of various palaces, I secretly wish I owned one, anyway they all look stunning to me. They seem to have a romantic ambience about them. What is your favorite palace and why?

Great idea for a thread.:flowers:
I honestly don't know many palaces, but one I absolutely love from having seen on the internet is the: Palacio Real de la Granja de San Ildefonso. It's a spanish royal family palace and is at 90 km of Madrid. You can see the pictures on this site: Palacios Reales: Palacio Real de La Granja de San Ildefonso
I especially love the view on the second page and the entrance, just like a fairytale :)
But what is your most beautiful palace?

I love them all... but I would nominate the Alhambra in Granada, Spain (go to Architecture Design Images History 3D Models and more - Artifice Great Buildings Online for a view) and Neuschwanstein in Bavaria.

I think I love the Moorish architecture (the tiles, the colors, the arches), the mystery and in particular the use of water at the Alhambra. And Neuschwanstein is simply spectacular, especially when you consider that it's really a recreation of medieval castles built in the mid-19th century. Americans have to love it as the prototype of the Disney castle. But I have always had an affinity for Ludwig II of Bavaria -- genius or mad, I don't know (maybe that says something about me!).

Hard to narrow down to just one. But if I had to choose I like the palace of Selgas, I hope that is correct. I love the country feel and the quaintness. The Real Sitio de La Granja de San Ildefonso is just breath taking :)

While I do enjoy Amalienborg, Buckingham Palace and the Palace in Oslo - I think that the Russian palaces, maybe especially of the village of Tsarskoye Selo look very impressive.

The French palaces of the Louvre and Versailles are also breath-taking.

I guess technically Neuschwanstein isn't a palace, although it was built for pleasure and not as a defensive position.

Well, deqr members, this is as good as jewelry. My favorite, and no I cannot for the life of me post pictures on this busniess. computer brain dead am I. But I adore the Dutch palace and thousands of acres at Het Loo. And then there is the fabulous Palace of Drottingholm. If course if you really wanted spectabular exotica, after all every gentleman should have a bare minimum of three decent palaces, for Palace no. III I would choose the Potala Palace in Lhasa Tibet, having run out the Communists first. Cheers.

I would choose the Potala Palace in Lhasa Tibet, having run out the Communists first.
Dearest Thomas, always so eloquent and always ready with a warning of reds under the bed! ;)

I first read about and saw photos of the Alhambra when I was about twelve. I couldn't believe that such a beautiful place existed...it is just exquisite. I love the Court of The Lions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what palace is the largest? I would think Buckingham Palace, but I could be wrong.
Here is the winner Istana Nurul Iman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and few photos of it
Sultan's Palace - Istana Nurul Iman photo - Peter & Jackie Main photos at pbase.com
Sultan of Brunei's Palace (Istana Nurul Iman Palace) -- Sightseeing with Google Satellite Maps_

Istana Nurul Iman: 2,152,782 square feet
The Royal Palace of Madrid: 1,453,122 square feet [4]
Buckingham Palace: 828,818 square feet (77,000 m²) [5]
The Palace of Versailles: 551,218 square feet (51,210 m²) [6]
Windsor Castle: 484,374 square feet (45,000 m²) [7]
Rashtrapati Bhavan: 200,000 square feet (20,000 m²)
The Biltmore Estate: 175,000 square feet (16,300 m²)
The White House: 55,000 square feet (5,100 m²)
Bill Gates' house: 50,000 square feet (5,000 m²)

Last edited:
I would have to say:
Sanssouci in Germany
Tullgarn in Sweden
Stromsholm Palace in Sweden
Upper Belevedere in Austria
Eremitage Palace
Darul AMan in Afganistan
Catherine Palace in Russia

Well, being an American I have to say The Governor's Palace in Williamsburg, Virginia. I love the bricks.
Now, when it comes to PALACES, real palaces where Royals have lived and dwelled, I think that it is impossible to narrow the list down to just one. Can't do it!
Blenheim Palace is impressive Blenheim Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and has an interesting family history
Hampton Court is a former Royal Residence Hampton Court Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harewood house is beautiful Harewood House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
here's its website:
Harewood House Online: Welcome to Harewood

And, ANY Russian palace. It is impossible to choose. They're all amazing. I could spend hours looking through books and websites about them.

The most impressive castle is definitely Neuschwanstein!

The most impressive "palaces" are Schönbrunn (Austria), Versailles (France) and Buckingham Palace!

Schönbrunn has his wonderful fairytale aura around itself.
http://www.thayer.de/wp/wp-content/bilder/schoenbrunn_front_nacht2_dsc03089.jpg

Versailles is so breathtaking... especially its' gardens.. it's a giant building and complex.

Buckingham Palace is a fantastic building! It's really impressing when you walk towards it. the red streets ;)

The Royal Palace in Madrid looks like a huge and impressive palace, too.. I've never been there, but I would like to see it once.

I also have to say that the Palace in Oslo looks quite impressing; but in a very different way.
It doesn't have this typical Palace-look.. I like it because the architecture looks so different.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1690000/images/_1691452_palace150.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say the most impressive palaces or castles belong in Spain! I wish I was in Spain to see all of these. The architectures are magnificent! Too bad the SRF stays in the Zarzuela Palace much smaller than the Palacio Real. Next in line would be the Russian palaces! When you see the pictures, you're being reminded of the Imperial family of Russia! they are really impressive!:eek:

Neuschwanstein, defenitely! It is just amazingly stunning especially in winter. It is a dream!

I love The Great Petehof Palace its really a beautiful piece of architecture, I also quite like the Royal Palace in Brussels, Drottingholm Palace in Sweden, Het Loo in the Netherlands, and The Royal Palace in Madrid

Back
Top Bottom