Origin Of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re:

Zenouska - Granddaughter of Princess Alexandra

What a wierd name that is. Very un-royal!

Emmanuel Léopold Guillaume François Marie

Emmanuel: i remember someone mention about the names coming from the bible
Leopold: past King of the Belgiums
Guillaume: HGD Guillaume of Luxemburg
François: no idea....
Marie:no idea....

François - could be because he was born on the feast day of St. Francis of Asissi (sp?)
Marie - I think all the members of his family have it somewhere in there name

Stephanie of Monaco

sebastian said:
Anybody know why Princess Stephanie of Monaco has the firstname : Stephanie ???

Even my sister doesn't know ;-)

Caroline, I see it's ancestors
Albert is clear as well...

but: Stephanie ??? I thought it might have been a name en vogue in the mid-60s, but I'm not sure. Anyone????

She was named after Stephanie Louise de Beauharnais, brother of Grand Duke Karl Ludwig Friedrich of Baden. Parents were Princess Marie Amelie Elisabeth Caroline of Baden and Duke William Alexander Anthony Archibald Hamilton.

It's hard to say as to weather or not Prince Hamzah of Jordan, was named after a relative. KH and QN chose names with beautiful and pious meanings, in order to define their childrens respective characters

Prince Hamzah: Hamzah means Lion

Princess Iman: Iman means: Faith, Free, Belief and Void of Care.

Princess Haya: Haya means Life

Princess Zein: I think means Goodness

Princess Aishah: named after the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.s. second wife A'ishah R.A (The first female Jurist in Islam)

Princess Noor Al-Hamzah: Noor means light. If you translate her full name Noor Al-Hamzah it translates as: Light of the Lion.

King Abdullah: Abdullah means Servant of Allah s.w.t.

King Abdullah's Wife Queen Rania Al-Abdullah: Rania means Princess. Her full name Rania Al-Abdullah translates as: Princess of the Servant of Allah s.w.t.

Prince Faisal:means Decisive

Prince Hashim: Hashim means Generous

Prince Ali: Ali means Nobile and Sublime

rarotonga said:
She was named after Stephanie Louise de Beauharnais, brother of Grand Duke Karl Ludwig Friedrich of Baden. Parents were Princess Marie Amelie Elisabeth Caroline of Baden and Duke William Alexander Anthony Archibald Hamilton.

Thanks very much for this information ! :)

Countess Eloise Sophie Beatrix Laurence van Oranje-Nassau: Sophie after her godmother, miss Sophie de Wauw, Beatrix after her paternal grandmother and Laurence after her maternal grandfather.

Count Claus-Casimir Bernhard Marius Max van Oranje-Nassau: Claus after his paternal grandfather, Casimir is a traditional name in the house of Orange-Nassau, Benrhard is the father of Queen beatrix, Marius for the brother of Laurentien and Max after the godfather of Constantijn: Max Kohnstam.

Countess Emma Luana Ninette Sophie van Oranje-Nassau, Emma after Queen Emma of the Netherlands or for her godmother, Emma Bonino, the other names I do not know.

Anastasia Margriet Josephine van Lippe-Biesterfield van Vollenhoven: Margriet for her paternal grandmother and Josephine for her maternal grandmother, Mrs. Jose(phine) van den Broek-van Schendel.

Lucas Maurits Pieter Henri van Lippe-Bieterfield van Vollenhoven: Maurits after his father, Pieter after his paternal grandfather and Henri after his maternal grandfather.

Felicia Juliana Benedicte Barbara, Juliana after Queen Juliana, the other names I can not explain, but somewhere it was suggestted that Benedicte was in honout of the new pope.

Isabella Lily Juliana van Vollenhoven: Juliana after Queen Juliana

Samuel Bernhard Louis van Vollenhoven: Bernhard after the father of Queen Beatrix.

Last edited:
Okay, this may sound corny, but I was reading a book and the author believed that Prince Andrew and Sarah purposely named Beatrice so that could shorten it to Bea, as in the bees on the Ferguson family shield. Knowing Andrew's and Sarah's sense of humour, it could well be true, it wasn't the official given reason. Because Sarah liked the name when she was writing a book on Queen Victoria, it was around the same time she found she liked the name Eugenie.

About the casiraghi trio and Alex

Andrea Albert Pierre: Andrea-name of a Stefano´s friend, who´ve died some time ago. Pierre-Caroline´s grandfather. Albert-not sure, but i could be for Prince Albert

Charlotte Marie pomeline: Charlotte-Caroline´s granmother. And about Marie pomeline i have not any ideas.

Pierre Stefano Ranier: Pierre-Caroline´s grandfather again,Stefano:for his father and Ranier for his grandfather.

I dont know all Alexandra names but she was named for all her godmothers (one of them are Charlotte, Virginia)

Piewi said:
About the casiraghi trio and Alex

Andrea Albert Pierre: Andrea-name of a Stefano´s friend, who´ve died some time ago. Pierre-Caroline´s grandfather. Albert-not sure, but i could be for Prince Albert

Charlotte Marie pomeline: Charlotte-Caroline´s granmother. And about Marie pomeline i have not any ideas.

Pierre Stefano Ranier: Pierre-Caroline´s grandfather again,Stefano:for his father and Ranier for his grandfather.

I dont know all Alexandra names but she was named for all her godmothers (one of them are Charlotte, Virginia)

Marie of Charlotte Marie Pomeline is due to her aunt Stephanie second name: Stephanie Marie Elisabeth

As for Stephanie's children:

Louis Robert Paul : Louis - Stephanies great-grandfather (and one of her father's and brother's names) . Robert - Daniel's second name, Paul - Daniel's grandmother who was called Pauline ( and a bit in for Paul Belmndo, he was Stephanie's friend when her mom died)

Pauline Grace Maguy: Pauline - Daniel's grandmother , Grace - Stephanie's mother, Maguy - Daniel's mother

Camille Marie Kelly: Camille - some ancestor woman of the Grimaldi family, Marie - Stephanie's second name, Charlotte's second name, Kelly - Stephanie's mother's family name

Josefine said:
has any queen or princess maybe changed her name in the last years when getting married
Queen Noor of Jordan. She was formarly known as Lisa Najeeb Halby but changed her name upon her marriage to 'fit in' and appease the Jordanians as she was from America.

wymanda said:
When Queen Victoria was named Alexandrina Victoria the names were very uncommon in Britain

Victoria was a very uncommon name in all of Britain when Queen Victoria was born but it was very common among the French and Germans. The Duchess of Kent (a German) couldn't understand why her in-laws were so against the name.

One of Princess Victoria of Sweeden's middle name-Desiree is unusual to me. It would have been great if that was her first name. It sounds beautiful. Oh well.

Lil princess lost said:
One of Princess Victoria of Sweeden's middle name-Desiree is unusual to me. It would have been great if that was her first name. It sounds beautiful. Oh well.

Desiree is in honor of her ancestor Desiree Clary the queen of Charles XIV John Victoria is for her great-great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria
Ingrid is for her great-aunt Queen Ingrid of Denmark and Alice is for her maternal grandmother Alice Sommerlath

More info on the royal roots of Eugenie:
Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg

Her Serene Highness Victoria Eugénie Julia, Princess of Battenberg (24 October 1887-15 April 1969), a granddaughter of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, was the queen consort of King Alfonso XIII of Spain and the paternal grandmother of the current King of Spain, Juan Carlos.
She was born at Balmoral Castle, the second child and the only daughter of HSH Prince Henry of Battenberg and HRH Princess Beatrice of Great Britain and Ireland, the youngest daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Her father was the product of a morganatic marriage between Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine and Julia von Hauke. She was named for her two grandmothers and for her godmother, Empress Eugénie, the Spanish-born widow of the former Emperor of the French Napoleon III; the princess was known to her family as Ena.

How about Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway

Sverre is from one of the older norwigien kings but i think the name also can be found in matte marits family Magnus is from his father, did i get this right

Sverre Magnus is named after King Sverre, as well as one of his maternal great grandfathers. King Sverre Sigurdsson was king of Norway in the period 1177-1202. His claim to the throne was dubious, as a grown up his mother told him that he was the son of King Sigurd, and the church had trouble accepting illegitimate claimants... But he perservered, even if he got in trouble with the pope in 1194. Thus King Sverre is actually mentioned in the national anthem, "Sverre talte Roma midt i mot" "Sverre spoke against the actions of Rome.".

Magnus is also another traditional Norwegian royal name. Magnus Erlingsson was another claimant to the Norwegian throne at the same time as King Sverre. He was called Magnus V. The most recent Norwegian king called Magnus was Magnus VII, who was king of Norway from 1319-1355. He was also King of Sweden at the time.

Royals and names

I decided to start this thread after reading the one about what Mry and Frederik will name their baby....
Are there any sort of rules, either written or unspoken a sort of 'gentlemens law' or whatever you call it, when it comes to names...for example, a lot of people though that if Mary and Frederik had a girl, they might name her Ingrid after his grandmother, but others pointed out since Haakon and Mette-Marit named their daughter that, they probably wouldn't be able to do it.
Can only one royal familyat a time have someone with a particular name?
do certainly families have a sort of 'claim' on a name, I know there was a Queen Alexandrine in Denmark, and Queen Victoria was actually Alexandrina(even though they were alive at different times right?)When a royal baby is born, are there only certain names they really have to choose from?

I

Well, there's a tradition in Denmark that says that if the heir of the throne is male he should be named either Christian or Frederik in a succesion, I mean if the last king was Frederik (put the number here) his son would be named Christian (put the number here)

In Spain the Prince of Asturias received the names of Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso; Felipe (Philip in English) was the name of several great kings of Spain, he shall rule as Felipe VI; Juan was his father's name, Pablo was his maternal grandfather's name (King Paul of Greece); Alfonso has been the most used name for kings in Spain, the last one was Felipe's own great-grandfather Alfonso XIII...

I would say that the trend is use at least one of the grandparents or parent's names in the newcomers to state the continuity of the monarchy or use something equal for everyone like in the Spanish Royal Family, they are all called name 1, name 2, name "n", de Todos los Santos or the saint of the day: Elena is Saint Dominic of Silas, so she's called Dominica de Silos; Cristina is Saint Anthony of Padua, so she's called Antonia de la Santísima Trinidad and the same pattern has been done in all their children.

Another thing they do is to name their children for a great king/queen in the past; but everything changes from family to family

Also, the name has to be in the countries same language, I mean you won't know a Belgian king called Haakon (for example) or a Norwegian ruling queen named Maria del Rosario

Last edited:
and now the little princ eof denamr has gotten a name

and how about prince lorent and princess claries bab boys

Frederik & Mary proved to follow tradition in naming their first born son, Christian Valdemar Henri John.
the first two names is after kings of denmark, and of course Christian is to follow alternating christian-frederik names.
the last two names, Henri & John, are after the little prince's grandfather..

the tradition of naming after grandparents seems to be popular among today's crownprincely couples. Amalia has Beatrix & Carmen after her grandmothers.

Hehe, it seems Frederik and Mary really liked Felix's name.

Christian Valdemar Henri John
AND
Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian

Reversed...:p

from the Spanish Royal Family:

Sofía Margarita Victoria Federica
Sofía: the people shout that name when she was born, it also means "philosophy" in greek
Margarita: any ideas?
Victoria: name of queens
Federica: her mother's name

Juan Carlos Alfonso María Víctor de Todos los Santos
Juan: for his father
Carlos: name of many great spanish kings
Victor: femenine of Victoria?
María de Todos los Santos: I believe this comes from the spanish tradition of putting religious names in all their people

Cristina Federica Victoria Antonia de la Santísima Trinidad
Cristina: spanish regent queen (Maria Cristina, mother of Alfonso XII)
Federica: her maternal grandmother's name
Victoria: name of queens
Antonia de la Santísima Trinidad: she was born on Saint Anthony of Padua's day

Queen Sofía continued the tradition for greek princesses to receive their grandmother's name in her daughters:

Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos: María from her paternal grandmother, the Countess of Barcelona María de las Mercedes de Borbón
Cristina Federica Victoria Antonia de la Santísima Trinidad: Federica was her maternal grandmother's name, Queen Federica of Greece (born Princess of Hannover)

I believe Irene's name comes from Princess Irene, Infanta Cristina's aunt; if you notice her children's name carefully, one is named with "spanish" names, the next is named with greek names:

Juan Valentín de Todos los Santos
Pablo Nicolás Sebastián de Todos los Santos (by the way, Sebastian is the patron saint of Mallorca, so it's kind of a tribute to their dukedom)
Miguel de Todos los Santos
Irene de Todos los Santos

One question, do they actually use the surname of Greece or use SCHLESVIG-HOLSTEIN-SØNDERBURG-GLÜCKSBURG in their birth registration; if they do, their full names would be pretty long and complicated:

Cristina Federica Victoria Antonia de la Santísima Trinidad de Borbón and Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg:eek:

Last edited:
H.M. Margrethe said:
Her it goes:

Queen Margrethe II (Margrethe Alexandrine Thorildur Ingrid)
Margrethe = Queen Margrethe of Sweden(queen Ingrids late mother)
Alexandrine = Queen Alexandrine of Denmark (king Frederik 9.s late mother)
Thorhildur = at that time the Faeor islands was in union with Denmark and Greenland
Ingrid = Queen Ingrid of Sweden (queen Margrethes late mother)

The faroe islands and Greenland are still in union with Denmark

juliamontague said:
O.K. I looked it up and it seems as helena doesn't mean greek

Helena means the beautiful

LaMinka said:
More of the Norwegian Royals:
Crown Princess Märtha(1901): Märtha Sophie Louise Dagmar Thyra
-Märtha: Not to sure
-Sophie: After Queen Sophia of Sweden and Norway
-Louise: After Queen Louise of Denmark
-Dagmar: Not Sure
-Thyra: Not Sure

Dagmar and Thyra was the name of her maternal auts, Frederik 8. daughters Dagmar and Thyra. It can also be after Christian 9. daughters Dagmar (empress of Russia) and Thyra (of Hanover)

bigheadshirmp said:
Emmanuel Léopold Guillaume François Marie

Emmanuel: i remember someone mention about the names coming from the bible
Leopold: past King of the Belgiums
François: no idea....
Marie:no idea....

Emmanuel: Is indeed a name from the Bible
Leopold: Philippe's godfather was Leopold III of Belgium and perhaps they decided on Leopold as Emmanuel was born in the year the Royal House made a special tribute to Queen Astrid, born princess of Sweden
François: Emmanuel was born on October 4th, I believe that's the Saints day of Franciscus of Assissi. He wrote a prayer which King Boudouin and Queen Fabiola read on a regular basis, it was also in the Burial service of King Boudouin
Marie: After the Virgin Mary, mother of Christ as the Belgian Royal Family is Catholic

As far as the greek royal family is concerned:

King Constantine was named after his paternal grandfather King Constantine I, who had been named after the last Byzantine Emperor Constantinos Paleologos

Queen Sofia of Spain was named after her paternal grandmother, Queen Sofia

Princess Irene's name is the greek word for peace (irine), because she was born during a war (the World War II)

Crown Prince Pavlos was also named after his paternal grandfather King Pavlos (Paul)

*I do not know why Constantine did not continue the greek tradition and named none of his daughters Frederika (by his mother)

iannis said:
*I do not know why Constantine did not continue the greek tradition and named none of his daughters Frederika (by his mother)

Maybe because his sister named her second daughter Cristina Federica? That could be a reason.

About Pavlos eldest son:
Constantinos-Alexios, from his grandfather and his aunt Alexia

About Alexia's second daughter:
Ana María: she followed the tradition and named her daughter after her own mother, queen Anne Marie

Back
Top Bottom