Origin Of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where did Lady Gabriella Windsor get her name

What about Catharina-Amalia? I know her middle names come from her grandmothers and godmother but where did Catharina-Amalia come from?

Her name would be Catherine-Amelia when translated in English right?

Where did Lady Gabriella Windsor get her name

I've heard that one of her maternal ancestors' name was Gabriele. I've also read that her parents chose Gabriella because they could call her "Ella" then and this would have to do with Grand Duchess Ella Fyodorovna. I'm not sure if one of the two theories is true - the only thing I know for sure: her middle name Ophelia she got because she's born on Shakespeare's birthday. :flowers:

Childern of Philippe and Mathilde

Elisabeth Thérèse Marie Hélène
Elisabeth: 'oath of God'
Thérèse: mother Theresa
Marie: Maria, mother of Jesus (tradition in the royal family)
Hélène: godmother and sister of Mathilde

Gabriël Boudewijn Karel Maria
Gabriël: 'God is my strength'
Boudewijn: King Baudouin of Belgium, brother of the current king.
Karel: Godfather and brother of Mathilde
Maria: Maria, mother of Jesus (tradition in the royal family)

Emmanuel Leopold Guillaume François Marie
Emmanuel: 'God with us'
Leopold: Great-grandfather, King Leopold
Guillaume: Godfather, prince Guillaume of Luxembourg
François:

Eléonore Fabiola Victoria Anne Marie
Eléonore: 'God is my light'
Fabiola: Queen Fabiola
Victoria: Godmother, princess Victoria of Sweden
Anne: Grandmother, Anne Marie Komorowska

Norway's crown prince Haakon was named for his grandfather, Haakon VII. Martha Louise (Haakon's sister) I'm not so sure. Haakon's children, Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus - his daughter is named for Ingrid of Sweden (Queen of Denmark) and Alexandra is a family name, I believe. Sverre is an old royal Norwegian name, Magnus is Haakon's second name.

As for the Swedes:

Victoria - after Victoria of Baden (as well as Queen Victoria)
Alice - after Queen Silvia's mother, Alice Toledo
Ingrid - after Queen Ingrid of Denmark (born Princess of Sweden)
Desirée - after King Carl XVI Gustaf's sister, and an ancestress, Desirée Clary

Carl - a traditional Swedish royal name, shared by his father the King
Philip - not sure
Edmund - a family name started with his great-great-great-great grandfather, Arthur, Duke of Connaught (father of Princess Margaret)
Bertil - after the King's uncle

Madeleine - a Bernadotte family name
Thérèse - not sure
Amélie - Bernadotte family name
Joséphine - after Joséphine Bauharnais, the wife of Napoleon Bonaparte

I just re-read this thread, there was so much wonderful information, thanks to everyone who did the research, I learned so much. I still stick with my first posting, I still love unusual names, just not weird ones like Apple, Pixie Dust, Rumor, Story, can you imagine having to go trough life with monikers like that. I read somewhere that Debra Winger(Actress) names her son Babe, doesn't she worry that her child will be picked on a lot. I like Gabriella, Isabella, Nicholas, Ariane. Why has there never been a Prince Mathew, Prince Luke? I know a lot of Royal names are christian names, just wondered?

Norway's crown prince Haakon was named for his grandfather, Haakon VII. Martha Louise (Haakon's sister) I'm not so sure.
I'm pretty sure Martha Louise has been named after her paternal grandmother, Crown Princess Martha.
As for Haakon, also Queen Sonja's brother is named Haakon.

Norway's crown prince Haakon was named for his grandfather, Haakon VII. Martha Louise (Haakon's sister) I'm not so sure. Haakon's children, Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus - his daughter is named for Ingrid of Sweden (Queen of Denmark) and Alexandra is a family name, I believe. Sverre is an old royal Norwegian name, Magnus is Haakon's second name.

Martha Louise was named after King Harald's mother, Princess Martha of Sweden. She passed away when Harald was quite young and before King Olav had even ascended the throne.

Beatrice is a very uncommon name in Royal circles. When Princess Beatrice (Victoria's daughter) was named, it was a shock, since the name Beatrice hadn't been used since the days of the Plantagenets. Since then, the name Beatrice (as a first name) has been used for only three other Princesses, two British and one Dutch.

There was a Spanish infanta named Beatriz, too. She was grand-daughter of Victoria's Beatrice, her mother was Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg, queen of Spain.

Martha Louise was named after King Harald's mother, Princess Martha of Sweden. She passed away when Harald was quite young and before King Olav had even ascended the throne.

And Alexander was the original name of King Olaf before King Haakon accepted the Norwegian throne.
When looking at the old Norwegian Medieval kings, Sverre is a common name. There is an Ingrid (as a spouse) as well.

Infanta Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos:

Elena: was the name that Reina wanted to put to her first daughter I believe that because was the name of a doll that she had of girl
María: the mother of de King
Isabel: the name of the two queens of Spain
Dominica de Silos: Spanish traditional saint, I don´t know if he has some specific relation with the Royal Family

Actually, they named Infanta Elena after the Medieval Spanish Saint, Dominic de Silos (c. 1000). Dominic de Silos was a Benedictine Abbot known for his countless miracles. He is the Patron Saint of Pregnancy. Saint Dominic de Guzman, the founder of the Order of Preachers, or Dominicans, was also named after Saint Dominic de Silos. Infanta Elena was born on December 20, which is the feast of Saint Dominic de Silos :flowers:

Last edited:
According to knowingtheroyals.wordpress.com, Prince Felix of Luxembourg was named after his ancestor, great grandfather Felix of Bourbon-Parma.

How about the rest? GD Henri, GDss Maria Teresa, HGD Guillaume, Prince Louis, Princess Alexandra, and Prince Sebastien? Can anyone help us please? :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
as Willem-Alexander stated before, when he ascends to the throne, he will be King Willem IV.
i wonder if Catharina-Amalia will drop her second name, and be Queen Catharina I.

Felipe and Letizia daughters:
Leonor: Because its traditional, has lots of history behind, and a name her parents liked.
Sofia: named after her paternal Grandmother La Reina Sofia.
De todos los Santos: Spanish royal tradition

Crown princes usually follow tradition and name their heirs with a lot of meaning, history and somewhat traditional.
for other children, they are "free" to chose a name to their liking, such as rare and modern names.

to me, i like traditional names and with history behind, because its what they are, royals (Christian, Ingrid, Elizabeth, Leonor, ...). but i enjoy when they name their children with diferent and unusual names (Vincent, Eleonore, Ariane,...), but i dont like weird and funny names (Luana, Zaria, ...) . so its kinda safe to follow traditions.

as Crown Princess Victoria's baby will be the heir of the heir, im sure it will have some meaning and history behind!

How about the rest? GD Henri, GDss Maria Teresa, HGD Guillaume, Prince Louis, Princess Alexandra, and Prince Sebastien? Can anyone help us please? :flowers:

As for Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume, I believe he has been named after his uncle and godfather Prince Guillaume.
As for the Grand Duchess, both her mother and maternal grandmother were also named Maria Teresa.

The late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte has been named after Josephine de Beauharnais.

What kind of name is Dagmar and where the heck did it come from?

As for the Swedes:

Carl - a traditional Swedish royal name, shared by his father the King
Philip - not sure
Edmund - a family name started with his great-great-great-great grandfather, Arthur, Duke of Connaught (father of Princess Margaret)
Bertil - after the King's uncle

Madeleine - a Bernadotte family name
Thérèse - not sure
Amélie - Bernadotte family name
Joséphine - after Joséphine Bauharnais, the wife of Napoleon Bonaparte
I would guess that the name Carl Philip is after Karl Filip, Charles Philip, Duke of Södermanland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as he had been Duke of Värmland, as prince Carl Philip is today.

As for Madeleine, there has been a Swedish queen with the name Sofia Magdalena, Sophia Magdalena of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thérèse - it was the name of a Bernadotte princess, Princess Therese of Saxe-Altenburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amelie - not a Bernadotte name, but a Beauharnais name, Amélie, Amélie of Leuchtenberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , was the younger sister of queen Joséphine and the original owner of the Leuchtenberg saphires, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Sílvia_da_Suécia_(meio_corpo).jpg that queen Silivia likes to wear.

What kind of name is Dagmar and where the heck did it come from?
Dagmar is a Scandinavian name, either from the Slavic Dragomira, meaning precious, peaceful, or from a Vendic name Dargmara, meaning maiden of the day.

I believe that Prince Joachim of Denmark's name came from Saint Joachim, the father of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the grandfather of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Leslie2006, I think Josephine most likely comes form Josephine of Leuctenberg, the wife of Oscar I of Sweden, so of Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte.

Leslie2006, I think Josephine most likely comes form Josephine of Leuctenberg, the wife of Oscar I of Sweden, so of Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte.
Joséphine of Luechtenberg was the daughter of Eugène de Beauharnais, the only son of Joséphine de Beauharnais, the empress of Napoléon I, and she was very probably named after her grand-mother, so the name is after both Joséphines.

The Queen of Bhutan's name, 'Jetsun', is a Tibetan name which means 'Holy'

I know that HRH prince William,duke of Cambridge is
William
Phillip
Arthur
Louis

:previous:
Wikipedia says that Prince William has been named after Prince William of Gloucester.
Philip is after the Duke of Edinburgh.
Arthur is also in the names of Prince Charles and King George VI, so I thought it was some kind of tradition.
Louis is after Louis Mountbatten.

The original meaning of the word Karl/Carl/Charles/Karol is "man."

In the Arabs royal families they use the ancestors names, they keep repeating the old names.

The original meaning of the word Karl/Carl/Charles/Karol is "man."
Why yes, "karl" still means "man" in Swedish, even though the "l" isn't pronounced anymore except in the given name "Karl" or "Carl". But orginally, it didn't just mean "man", but "free man", as in "not a slave".

Last edited:
I always had a strange impression: Catholic royal houses generally use names of saints and Protestant royal houses use ethnic, classic and uncommon names.

Back
Top Bottom