The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Serene Highness

Most/Least prepared to be King/Queen?

Im relatively new here and Im still getting comfortable with the many different royals. After reading some posts in different threads I decided it would be interesting to discuss the things that the different crown princes and the one crown princess are doing to prepare themselves for their future jobs as King or Queen.

The types of schooling, special training programs, and any other things that they are involved with that seem to be helping them prepare for their future can be discussed. And also who seems to be the least prepared at this point?

All opinions are of course welcome.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Great question aurora.

The best prepared I think are Charles, Prince of Wales and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Courtier

I agree ysbel. Charles has had more years to prepare than perhaps any other heir and he has learned from the Queen Mum and QEII (what more can you ask?). He will make a fine ruler one day. As for Victoria, I have always liked her, and hope to see her succeed in her role. She is an outstanding you lady.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Serene Highness

I also think Charles is the obvious choice but I hope many others will give their opinions on other royals.

I love Victoria obviously look at my avatar. However, I recently read that she doesn't actually have a degree in anything. She's done some study programs but no degree was ever received. So I wonder what is the thought on that? I think she can certainly learn all she needs to learn without an actual degree, other people do it all the time and make millions. But I hope some people more in the know than I will also give their opinions.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Commoner

The best prepared: the Prince of Wales and the Prince of Orange.

The least prepared: Crown prince Frederik of Denmark.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Courtier

Most Prepared: Prince Charles and Prince Felipe (I don't follow Philippe, Haakon, or Willem-Alexander)

Leat Prepared: Prince Frederik
Old 02-13-2007, 01:00 AM
Aristocracy

Most prepared: Prince Charles

Least prepared: CP Frederik
Old 02-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Heir Apparent

about Frederik, why does everyone say that he's not prepared? (from Wikipedia):

* He studied at Harvard University from 1992-1993 studying political science. He then took up a position for three months with the Danish UN mission in New York in 1994. He received an MSc in Political Science from the University of Aarhus, which he completed in February 1995.
* posted as First Secretary to the Danish Embassy in Paris from October 1998-October 1999.
* has completed extensive military studies and training in all three services, notably completing education as a frogman (Danish Frmand) in the naval special forces Danish Frogman Corps.In the period 2001 and 2002, the Crown Prince completed further training for leaders at the Royal Danish Defence College. Crown Prince Frederik remains active in the defence, and in the period 2002-2003 served as a staff officer at Defence Command Denmark, and from 2003 as a senior lecturer with the Institute of Strategy at the Royal Danish Defence College.

Frederik likes to sail and it's a fun-loving guy but it doesn't necessarily mean that he's not prepared, besides he's had the "regent" experience (like Haakon) so he's more in tune with what a King does and represent than many of his European counterparts, specially now that his mother is going on and off surgery

Much less prepared are those princes who had never had a job (even a symbolic one like Fred did) and don't have practice in diplomacy or politics, one thing is to visit countries and represent your own and another very different one is to work in an Embassy or in the ONU, the "practical" learning is much more complete that way, not to mention the gruesome physical training Frederik took (by his own will) in the Danish Navy SEAL and the fact that he's learnt a lot of things there and can lecture about it, most Princes took their military training as an opportunity to wear uniforms and I don't like that
Old 02-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative Spain

Most prepared: Prince Felipe & Prince Charles

Least prepared: Prince Frederik
Old 02-13-2007, 01:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Most Prepared : Charles Prince of Wales
Least Prepared Willem - Alexander (Although hes an awsome Son, Father and Husband). :)
Old 02-13-2007, 02:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
Im relatively new here and Im still getting comfortable with the many different royals. After reading some posts in different threads I decided it would be interesting to discuss the things that the different crown princes and the one crown princess are doing to prepare themselves for their future jobs as King or Queen.

The types of schooling, special training programs, and any other things that they are involved with that seem to be helping them prepare for their future can be discussed. And also who seems to be the least prepared at this point?

All opinions are of course welcome.
The most prepared to be queen was the then HRH Princess Elizabeth.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Majesty

Bit of a sticky subject me thinks,and I really wonder about what everyones view is based upon so far,and especially why it is that some think Frederik is the least prepared?

Frederik.
TRH The Crown Prince Couple - Curriculum Vitae

Alexander.
The Dutch Royal House

Felipe.
The Royal Household of His Majesty the King_ Welcome

Charles.
The Prince of Wales - Biography

Filip.
Monarchie - Prince Philippe

Victoria.
Biography

At present she's in the Diplomat Program of the Swedish Foreign Ministry among 20 other students (started last september),a mix of both theory and practicals until this summer,ending with an internship,a draw by the Foreign Office will decide where they all end up for that.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Seen as each country requires different things from their monarch (be it King or Queen), I think that each of the respective Crown Princes, and the lone Crown Princess, are prepared to be the monarch of their own country.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

Sometimes I think that the best prepared ones are ones who were born commoners - they know what life is like both at the top, and in the middle/bottom depending on where they were bron. They will have experiences that their royal husbands/wives could never have, and likewise the royal husbands/wives have experiences of royal growing-ups which they can share. So, after all that, I'm not sure who to pick!

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 02-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Serene Highness

Each country has different expectations for their crown prince/princess, so I don't think any of them are any less prepared than the other
Old 02-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Philippe, the Duke of Brabant

I'm wondering why everybody forgets THE stumbling wooden doll of all: Prince Philippe, the Duke of Brabant.

Rightly or wrongly, nobody in- and outside Belgium takes the whole guy serious.

For the rest I think that all Heirs are pretty well prepared. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume are still fairly young, of course.

Naturally the Prince of Wales, the Prince of Orange, the Prince of Asturias looks the best prepared of all:
- the Prince of Wales due to the long Reign of his mother and his advanced age
- the Prince of Orange due to the example of his powerful, demanding and perfectionistic mother
- the Prince of Asturias also has 'live-experience' and being a close witness of a restored unstable monarchy trying to root itself again in Spanish society.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Courtier

most-prepared - Felipe and charles
least prepared - Frederik!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I agree with you Henri, it isn't for nothing that every now and then Belgian newspapers/ columnists etc. are making a plea for Princess Astrid as the future Queen, overlooking her brother and his children. Of course this will never actually happen, but it indicates that there is something seriously wrong with Phillipe's present role.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Best prepared:
The Prince of Wales (I think he's ready to become King of England. I cross my fingers for him that he'll be King one day. )

Least prepared:
(no, not Prince Frederik. I think he IS prepared). I cannot think of one. I think they all do quite a good job.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Why do many people think Frederik is not prepared? Upon what basis? I don't know one way or the other, just interested to know the answer

Tags
heirs, next generation