The Most Or Least Prepared Heir

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it doesn't seem to me you are considering the differences of European monarchies when you are judging people.

Frederik will never have a work schedule like Felipe and Charles,
he will be king of a small and politically stable country with a mainly ceremonial monarchy.

But I am quite sure he is prepared for his limited role and he will be a popular king.

And as for Spain and Britain, yes they are more important and more difficult areas,
but their monarchies are mainly ceremonial too and the role of their monarchs is limited too.
King Juan Carlos' role was more important because he had to restore the monarchy in Spain,
but it won't be the same for his heir.

Therefore I stick to my original comment:
The importance of the European royals and especially cps is over-estimated.
(although some of them do make faces as if the future of their countries depends on them)
I agree with you in all points.

I don't knwo what posts you are reading but if you read the answers in this thread alone, you will get the impression that Fred has the image of not being well prepared to be king :flowers: Simply count the number of posters that have listed him as being unprepared. That is his image and it has nothing to do with with the reality of the situation is.

I only care for the reality of the situation - everything else is irrelevant;).

Quite right Lilla.
Frederik seems to me the most prepared royal. But it is of course up to the eye of the beholder, we all read/see things and forge a different interpretation. Just because he won't govern a big country doesn't mean he won't do his country justice. Because tbqh i would rather be a Danish citizen rather than a british or a spanish one. Felipe seems to me a pompous arrogant man who wants to be king to have a bigger title. Charles is a blithering talker, who will never ever compare to QE2.

And HRHofnothing i don't know what pictures you've been looking at but they hardly depict a lazy prince.
x

Image is very important as well.

Oh and since Margerethe has said time and again she does not want to abdicate, Fred has quite a wait before him. Hope his image improves by then.

Does anyone know which future King/Queen has a Degree?

Hope his image improves by then.

In that case you must refere to the image HRHofNothing seems to think posters on this forum have, as his image in Denmark and among the posters on this forum I am familiar with - is splendid ;)

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark? Hes great he will make a fine King

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark? Hes great he will make a fine King

Yes indeed.
And your quite right Lilla. As I pointed out the images that I have seen neither reflect a lazy prince or one that has a problem with his image.
X

Does anyone know which future King/Queen has a Degree?

Prince Felipe studied at the Autonomous University of Madrid and graduated with a degree in Law in 1993. In September 1993, he enrolled for a Master's degree in International Relations at the Edmund Walsh School of Foreign Service at the University of Georgetown (Washington DC), graduating on 26 May 1995.

Princess Letizia has a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism from the Complutense University of Madrid, as well as a Master’s Degree in Audiovisual Journalism from the Institute for Studies in Audiovisual Journalism.

In that case you must refere to the image HRHofNothing seems to think posters on this forum have, as his image in Denmark and among the posters on this forum I am familiar with - is splendid ;)
Popularity does not equal a strong or successful leader.

Will you please deepen that statement?

What do you mean by popularity?
What do you mean by strong?
What do you mean by successful?

IMO, becoming a monarch is like becoming a parent, you can read all the baby books ever written and still be in shock when the baby arrives. The heir/heiress can be home educated or go to multiple universities, join all the arm forces, and take on lots of causes. They are nothing more than checking off the boxes on a random list, not much more than picking stocks or horses. Not trying to put down their efforts in their learning process, I think it's great they put in the effort. However, the big unknown of all is how different the social attitudes at the time of coronation is compared to the years the heir was born. Just look at the changing expectations and public opinions regarding Prince Charles over the years. He was considered a whack less than twenty years ago for talking to plants and taking up organic farming. Nowadays he is generally regarded ahead of his time in these two areas. Who knows if he would be considered a nutcase again in another decade for being so old fashioned about architecture. While they were single, the chance of either Prince Charles or Prince Felipe marrying divorcees was not considered worthy of being mentioned. And now both are married to divorcees, while Camilla could still raise the hackles in some quarters, no one bats an eye about Letizia.

In times when monarchy in general starts getting obsolete, popularity is an important factor for survival, together with history (Britain, Denmark) or the luck getting a once in a lifetime opportunity to take an important decision for the country (Spain).

Clocking up 400+ events per year in order to give people the impression that the heir or the monarchy is really really important or even indispensable for future the country is a pretty desperate strategy and doesn't beat popularity, judging from anti-monarchy movements eg in Denmark or Spain.

In times when monarchy in general starts getting obsolete, popularity is an important factor for survival, together with history (Britain, Denmark) or the luck getting a once in a lifetime opportunity to take an important decision for the country (Spain).

Clocking up 400+ events per year in order to give people the impression that the heir or the monarchy is really really important or even indispensable for future the country is a pretty desperate strategy and doesn't beat popularity, judging from anti-monarchy movements eg in Denmark or Spain.

Hardworking is not a desperate strategy, rather the foundamentals of some monarchies, esp in bigger countries like Britain or Spain. Regardless of the history, I doubt the British monarchy would survive after QEII if Charles were considered very lazy and did 80 events per year :rolleyes:.

Image is very important as well.

Oh and since Margerethe has said time and again she does not want to abdicate, Fred has quite a wait before him. Hope his image improves by then.

Like Charles he will be waiting and had this thread been up and running 20/30 years ago Charles would have taken a hammering. Comparisons are really hard because they are all representing different countries and are at different stages in life/preparation. ;) Frederick has completed his education/internships and really I seem to see him doing a lot of engagements publicly but as stated by other posters he seems to do off camera work as well. He has that luxury in Denmark because of its history/stability/economic circumstance he doesnt need to be constantly in the public eye. I dont think it is inappropriate for him to promote sports/the arts they are the fun things that a wealthy nation can indulge in when times are good. Spains CP has to run around and try to establish an image for the monarchy and himself while standing in his fathers shadow (big shadow) I think Felipe is doing well but I think history is against him and I dont think unless he gets the once in a lifetime opportunity his father did that he will pull it off. That is not a reflection on the man himself I think he is as prepared as he can be and would make a good King Spain doesnt need a good King it needs an incredible one.
Victoria seems to have had the most old fashioned preparation and for her it seems to be working. Cant really comment on the Belgiums as I dont know enough about them but I havent been that impressed with what I have seen of the couple. Then again people it is time that will tell I am old enough to remember the headlines about Charles 'Prince of Wobbles' :nonono:
His public hissy fits:whistling: General bad publicity and ill feeling against him.:previous: Seems hes doing ok now:flowers: They may yet all form a conspiracy, abdicate to buy an island and surround themselves with naked slaves:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They may yet all form a conspiracy, abdicate to buy an island and surround themselves with naked slaves:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

.....and spend their time torturering paparazzia photographers and tittel-tattel journalists................:lol: :lol: .....................and some members of this forum :eek: :eek:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

.....and spend their time torturering paparazzia photographers and tittel-tattel journalists................:lol: :lol: .....................and some members of this forum :eek: :eek:
now that would be entertaining... I was recently in London and saw paparazzi throwing themselves on the ground to take pictures up a 17 year old 'celebrities' skirt Why is that allowed???? If it is publicly displayed/in the public view then it is fair game. If you have to throw yourself on the ground to see it IMO it is not in the public view. Men chasing a young woman down the street calling out comments on her body parts/underwear is a criminal offence in many countries, IMO that they are holding a camera doesnt make it OK just worse..... But then I may be old fashioned:) Are there anymore old fashioned people in this respect???? :whistling:

Will you please deepen that statement?

What do you mean by popularity?
What do you mean by strong?
What do you mean by successful?
You continually assert a poll re popularity as some sort of indicator of Fred's abilities. It isn't. It merely demonstrates popularity and imho being a good monarch isn't just about being popular.

It's about dedication, hard work, self-sacrifice and the ability to command the respect of his people; something Queen Margrethe has done magnificently but I sincerely doubt Fred will have the capacity to. His current working attitude is lacklustre at best and lazy at worst. He seems to be quite self-pitying (the Parade interview) and it reflects badly on him imo.

So will he be a good king? If he's able to demonstrate the skills and traits his mother has, then yes. However, he is now 40 and has not done so, which means he probably never will....

You continually assert a poll re popularity as some sort of indicator of Fred's abilities. It isn't. It merely demonstrates popularity and imho being a good monarch isn't just about being popular.

It's about dedication, hard work, self-sacrifice and the ability to command the respect of his people; something Queen Margrethe has done magnificently but I sincerely doubt Fred will have the capacity to. His current working attitude is lacklustre at best and lazy at worst. He seems to be quite self-pitying (the Parade interview) and it reflects badly on him imo.

So will he be a good king? If he's able to demonstrate the skills and traits his mother has, then yes. However, he is now 40 and has not done so, which means he probably never will....

Well that is your opinion Little_star and I do not agree one bit.

I do find it interesting though, how you so lightly brush aside a poll made among Danes by simply rewriteing the purpose of the poll and calling it a something it was not - a poll of popularity.

Sorry Little_star, but the poll in question was about the oppinion among Danes on Frederiks readiness to become King - whether you like it or not ;).

I think Prince Charles is the most prepared to be King..he already has many-many-many-many years to prepare himself..

For the 'least prepared'..hmm..i'm going with crowd: Prince Frderik

The most prepared : Prince Charles

The least prepared : Prince Haakon

The most prepared: Felipe . He has studied, he holds a degree, he has lived abroad, he has been trained thoroughly, he has made his military service, his parents are from royal backgrounds, he is modest as character.

The least prepared: I'd say Victoria as she 's not concluded her studies, she's got no diploma/bachelor as a basis for her position.
Just entering a course and just watching without being examined does not mean anything (see Yale for example or the diplomats' course she has entered recently...).
And handing over awards, cutting ribbons, patronizing events and attending social events does not make you a good monarch...
Where is the actual work?
Besides, has she ever been in the military? as a future Queen she should have concluded a military service!

I don't know how prepared they are but

Frederik - reminds me of a little boy whose royal duties interfere with his playtime too much

Haakon - seems to take his duties quite seriously and appears most dignified

Charles - has been waiting for the crown for soooo long, when he finally gets it I don't think it matters much anymore because he will be quite old

Personally I don't know how much preparedness is really necessary for a mostly ceremonial job. Of course, education in politics and world affairs is vital since they ought to know who is who when visiting and extending invitations, but the actual and most important work involved is done by "servants".

The least prepared: I'd say Victoria as she 's not concluded her studies, she's got no diploma/bachelor as a basis for her position.
Just entering a course and just watching without being examined does not mean anything (see Yale for example or the diplomats' course she has entered recently...).
And handing over awards, cutting ribbons, patronizing events and attending social events does not make you a good monarch...
Where is the actual work?
Besides, has she ever been in the military? as a future Queen she should have concluded a military service!

Here´s the education of Crown princess Victoria.
Kronprinsessan Victoria Biography - Kungahuset

I don't know if Crown Princess Victoria has served a full military hitch, but from the photos I've seen she's certainly had a taste of military service and it doesn't look like she was being treated with kid-gloves.
:swedenflag: :swedenstandard:

Attachments

• victoria_sweden_fs.jpg
    victoria_sweden_fs.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 205
The most prepared: Felipe . He has studied, he holds a degree, he has lived abroad, he has been trained thoroughly, he has made his military service, his parents are from royal backgrounds, he is modest as character.

The only thing on this list that doesn't apply to Charles is 'lived abroad' and I really don't see what that has to do with it anyway although he did attend school in Australia for two terms in 1966, which could be classed as living in overseas country.

He has, of course, travelled extensively within his own country, the Commonwealth and the world and lived onboard navy ships which travelled to foreign ports as well.

Charles is easily the most prepared due to the time he has had and the work he has done that shows that he is ready along with the example he has had from his mother and father (even if he hasn't always liked their approach to being a parent he still has their example of dedication to the nation to follow, which he has done marvellously in my opinion).

most:Crown prince Charles and Felipe
least: Federik

I'm surprised at the drubbing Frederik's taking here. He and Mary are my least favorite of the crown princely couples, but it seems that the Danes are overwhelmingly pleased with them, which is what counts. When waiting to become a ceremonial rather than an actual leader, I think the approval of the populace is the clearest measure of success. I've always assumed that I was missing something, and that I would like F & M better if I lived in Denmark, could read Danish newspapers and understand Danish broadcasts, and had more of a sense of how they carry out their duties.

I think Prince Charles, Princess Victoria and Prince Felipe are undoubtedly among the best prepared Heirs today.
Prince Frederik is the least-prepared Heir, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom