The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you Stephanie from beautiful Hoogstraten in Flanders, Belgium.

But the core problem is not that King Albert II or members of the Belgian royal family lack popularity. I can imagine that King Albert II is more popular amongst the Belgians than his neighbouring colleagues Queen Beatrix and Grand-Duke Henri.

The core problem is the fundament on which the monarchy is build: the state itself. All of today's European monarchies are well-developed, well-educated and welfare states which belong to the world's richest countries. Their citizens may be happy to live in a country like Belgium, Norway or Luxembourg. So it is hard to imagine any revolution whould arise against the Sovereign, in these countries.

But in Belgium, and no one can deny it, the last 25 years the once so strong centralistic state has become divided, to the profit of the growing independent Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels. After the coming elections this summer, there will be another round of state reforms, this time also the social security, the pensions and the taxes will be subject. If this round is succesful, Belgium is really not much more than an empty frame which has armed forces and foreign affairs.

This erosion from inside is a real threat to the monarchy. No matter how popular or not popular some members may be. You can better have a not so popular monarch with a throne fixed in concrete than a popular monarch with a wobbly throne build on a swamp.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Courtier

The most prepared we all know there is no contest Prince Charles of Wales being he is the eldest heir out of all the other european heirs.
The least prepared is Crown Prince Phillppe of Beligum because of his actions getting mad and throwing fits in public that is not the kind of actions your suppose to have if your a future king period.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 02-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

I know that King Albert actually took over for his brother so I'm wondering when did Philippe really start to prepare as a crown prince? Perhaps maybe it's not that any of these crown princes are unprepared or not. I think at the very basis it all comes down to a willingness to do a great job as crown prince and continue preparing for your future role. Alright not much of a point I'll admit that but I'm just thinking that there could be some resistance to be crown prince from time to time.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
I know that King Albert actually took over for his brother so I'm wondering when did Philippe really start to prepare as a crown prince? Perhaps maybe it's not that any of these crown princes are unprepared or not. I think at the very basis it all comes down to a willingness to do a great job as crown prince and continue preparing for your future role. Alright not much of a point I'll admit that but I'm just thinking that there could be some resistance to be crown prince from time to time.
Prince Philippe already was prepared for his future kingship when he was a young adolescent because he was the most likely Heir to his childless uncle King Baudouin. After the Prince of Wales, he has had the longest preparation of all present European Heirs.

When his father, the Prince of Liége, then the Heir-Presumptive, unexpectedly became King, Prince Philippe became the Duke of Brabant and the Heir-Apparent indeed.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Prince Philippe already was prepared for his future kingship when he was a young adolescent because he was the most likely Heir to his childless uncle King Baudouin. After the Prince of Wales, he has had the longest preparation of all present European Heirs.

When his father, the Prince of Liége, then the Heir-Presumptive, unexpectedly became King, Prince Philippe became the Duke of Brabant and the Heir-Apparent indeed.
Wow, I didn't realize he has had such a long preparation for his future. Than perhaps there's just something holding him back. I don't know what it is maybe the current state of Belgium or something else but he just doesn't seem to have the willingness that other crown princes have. I don't look at him and see a man that is confident or comfortable with his role yet.

*Please don't anyone get offended by that remark I'm really just being honest from what I've seen in recent months.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize he has had such a long preparation for his future. Than perhaps there's just something holding him back. I don't know what it is maybe the current state of Belgium or something else but he just doesn't seem to have the willingness that other crown princes have. I don't look at him and see a man that is confident or comfortable with his role yet.

*Please don't anyone get offended by that remark I'm really just being honest from what I've seen in recent months.
If King Baudouin had died on the age of 85, let us say something, his successor, Prince Albert would have been 81 and that would widely have been seen as too old. It was in the natural expectation that when King Baudouin would die, his nephew Prince Philippe would be his successor, despite his father being 1st in line of succession. In such a situation the expectation was that Prince Albert would refuse the kingship, in favour of his son. (In Belgium the adagium Le Roi est mort. Vive le Roi! does not count. There is no automatic succession).

The unexpected and untimely death of King Baudouin changed all. Prince Albert was 59 years old when his brother died. The Belgian Government simply followed the line of succession and 'invited' Prince Albert to take his rightful place and to become King Albert II.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
Well, it doesn't seem to me you are considering the differences of European monarchies when you are judging people.
Slightly presumptuous, don't you think? I'm well aware of the differences within the various monarchies. After all, there's a huge amount of difference between Britain and Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
Frederik will never have a work schedule like Felipe and Charles,
he will be king of a small and politically stable country with a mainly ceremonial monarchy.
The Britishh monrachy is mainly ceremonial in many respects, it doesn't stop Charles from taking his role seriously and from undertaking alot of work.

In many ways that's even more reason to work hard and not an excuse to slack off like Fred!
Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I love Victoria obviously look at my avatar. However, I recently read that she doesn't actually have a degree in anything. She's done some study programs but no degree was ever received. So I wonder what is the thought on that? I think she can certainly learn all she needs to learn without an actual degree, other people do it all the time and make millions. But I hope some people more in the know than I will also give their opinions.
Someone might have mentioned this already, but Victoria has studied much because she is dyslexic; she cannot do all the reading a full degree would take. There obvious disadvantage in that just might be that she will get a lot of information filtered through other people. But she obviously works very hard within her resources.

The role of royals is different in different countries - in Sweden the King and the CP both routinely do PR for Swedish businesses, travelling with delegations to the Far East and such - here in Finland many business leaders complain about the unfair advance that gives to Sweden over us For such work Victoria is prepared and seems very competent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriM
But the core problem is not that King Albert II or members of the Belgian royal family lack popularity. I can imagine that King Albert II is more popular amongst the Belgians than his neighbouring colleagues Queen Beatrix and Grand-Duke Henri.
It is interesting how the GD Henri has stumbled during his rule; he was probably very well prepared for his role. Personal qualities probably have at least as much to do with what kind of leader one will become. Queen Beatrix is probably the smartest of the three, but also very tightly wound and comes across as distant. GD Henri appears oftentimes shy to the point of being awkward - only time he looks relaxed it when he is around small-ish children. I really haven't got much idea about what kind of person King Albert is, but realise he has been, at least publicly, through much rougher times than the other two, which probably contributes.

The least prepared heir is probably the HGD Guillaume; he will be turning 26 this year, and by that age many other heirs had already done much, much more. Like Victoria, he lacks a coherent education; he also seems to lack the media experience most other heirs have - he hasn't spoken up for any cause like for example Felipe had already done at his age.

Just my 47 cents' wort.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Serene Highness

Most prepared: Prince of Wales

Least prepared: Prince Philippe
Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Commoner

As a side bar to this thread I've always found it fascinating and odd to read of heirs to thrones, who when they find themsleves as Sovereigns after years of being Heir express the fact (?) that they are not prepared, had no idea, never wanted to be "King...Tsar..etc..etc.."
What did they think was going to happen?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Nobility

Best Potential - Current Generation of Heirs

Most of the monarchs in the world have been serving for the last 10-30 years, so we have some idea of how they are viewed and how they will be remembered in history.

I am curious what members of the forum think about the next generation - their heirs.
1. What are their strongest qualities?
2. What shortcomings/deficiencies do they need to conquer/develop before ascending to their throne?
3. Which of the current heirs will be most successful on the throne?
4. Which will be the most ineffective or biggest disappointment?
5. Which will have the best support from their family? the worst?
6. If you had to live in a monarchy, which would you most like to have as your monarch?
7. If you had to name them for posterity (i.e. Catherine the Great, Richard the Lionhearted, et.al.) what name would you bestow on them?

Hope you will enjoy considering the near future!

Rascal
Old 02-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

difficult questions to asnwer, the new generetion of princess most of them ex-commoners, are having great success, one more than the other but in general their are all success stories!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Only time will tell. At this point they are all shouldrered and protected by the monarchs who have been "on the job" and were "born to the job".
Once the current heirs and their commoner wives ascend to the throne things will change. Perhaps for the better or maybe not.
No one can know what challenges they will face and how they will respond. It will be fascinating to watch each of them and assess their work as time goes by.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

I Belive The Prince of Wales and Duke of Brabant will surprise everyone with their Good Leadership!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Royal Highness

I think the strongest quality most of the current heirs have are their vitality and strengths of character. Secondly, they are managing well to try and balance the traditional elements of their roles with the modern era. They all need to work on this careful balance and help pursuade their countries that monarchy is relevant in this day and age and always will be.

I believe they will all be successful to one degree or another and I can think of no-one who will be a disappointment to their country. The Dutch royal family are, I think likely to get most genuine support from their families. I think most other royal families are supportive of the monarch, but I often wonder if it is genuine support or simply out of begrudging duty!

Being British, I must say I think PoW will be a good king although I envy Sweden with Victoria and Noray with Haakon.

As more naming them posthumously:

Charles the Eco-Warrior
Frederik the Navigator
Willem-Alexander the Strong
Haakon the Good
Victoria the Studious
Felipe the Tall/the Mighty
Old 02-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the reply and responses to the naming, Jacknch! I didn't want to throw my own opinions out there first because that sometimes affects the responses of others. Since you have the ball rolling, so to speak, here are my thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

As more naming them posthumously:

Charles the Eco-Warrior (LOL)
Frederik the Navigator
Willem-Alexander the Strong
Haakon the Good
Victoria the Studious
Felipe the Tall/the Mighty
King Charles the Patient
King Philippe the Fertile
King Frederik the Cheerful
King Willem-Alexander the Loyal
King Haakon the Progressive
Queen Victoria the Gentle
King Felipe the Quiet

Quote:
I think the strongest quality most of the current heirs have are their vitality and strengths of character. Secondly, they are managing well to try and balance the traditional elements of their roles with the modern era. They all need to work on this careful balance and help pursuade their countries that monarchy is relevant in this day and age and always will be.
Quote:

I believe they will all be successful to one degree or another and I can think of no-one who will be a disappointment to their country. The Dutch royal family are, I think likely to get most genuine support from their families. I think most other royal families are supportive of the monarch, but I often wonder if it is genuine support or simply out of begrudging duty!

Being British, I must say I think PoW will be a good king although I envy Sweden with Victoria and Noray with Haakon.
I do agree that strength of character is the quality that is most important across the board. At times each of them have shown some weakness in character but they have also each shown a development in character. Most definitely this current crops of heirs is the most educated, trained, and aware of perhaps any other generation in history.

In regards to further development/challenges for improvement, I think the he is working on it quite a bit, but I don't know that the Prince of Wales has enough time left to counteract the ill will/resentment from the entire situation with Diana (PLEASE let's not get into a who was right and wrong discussion in the relationship). I do believe that his character and judgement took a huge hit as a result. As far as his decision to marry Camilla, he initially came off (IMO) as self-absorbed, spoiled, and stubborn. He has definitely improved but it seems like most people are looking forward to William ascending the throne rather than being excited about his father's time there.

With Prince Philippe, I believe his greatest challenge is to loosen up a bit. He always seems so serious to the point of being humorless and that can alienate people.

WA, Felipe, and Fred have all matured due to marriage and fatherhood and have seem to have found the balance they needed to be successful.

I know I called Victoria "the Gentle" because I think she is approachable and sensitive. I don't mean this in a power-hungry way, but I think that Victoria needs to be more aggressive/decisive about what she wants to accomplish. I believe that the people love her and appreciate what she does, but I don't know if they respect her in the same way I feel Elizabeth II, Margrethe II, or even her own mother Queen Silvia are.

I certainly don't wish to see any of them being called upon too soon, but it would be interesting to see what this generation will bring to the world of royalty.

Rascal
Old 02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

But together with Philippe is Mathilde, who doesn't seem humorless, and I think people appreciate her...
Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post

King Philippe the Fertile
You really are a rascal!

I'm afraid Philippe is just an introvert kind of person, and he will never really "loosen up". Just like his uncle Baudouin, only B had everyone's pity for losing his mother and being forced on the throne to save the monarchy. So people didn't mind.(I don't mean to sound to severe here, or pretend this all means nothing to a child/young adult, but I genuinely believe this softened people's opinions about him)
And according to several people who should know, the Duke of Brabant is actually a very funny kind of guy, who just freezes when he sees a camera pointed at him, like a rabbit caught in the light of a hunter. So I suppose that's just something he'll have to learn how to deal with. Which he's trying.

I don't know about his capacities as a leader, but I believe he'll have a hard time once he gets there.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Heres an interesting thought What will be their ages when they become Monarchs
Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post
You really are a rascal!

I'm afraid Philippe is just an introvert kind of person, and he will never really "loosen up". Just like his uncle Baudouin, only B had everyone's pity for losing his mother and being forced on the throne to save the monarchy. So people didn't mind.(I don't mean to sound to severe here, or pretend this all means nothing to a child/young adult, but I genuinely believe this softened people's opinions about him)
And according to several people who schould know, the Duke of Brabant is actually a very funny kind of guy, who just freezes when he sees a camera pointed at him, like a rabbit caught in the light of a hunter. So I suppose that's just something he'll have to learn how to deal with. Which he's trying.

I don't know about his capacities as a leader, but I believe he'll have a hard time once he gets there.
Yes, I agree with you; I have no doubts that he will be a good King, and that he and his belgian-born Queen will help to resolve the internal troubles of Belgium; but their life will remarkably change, and I pray God to make as far as possible the day when Philippe will become King of the Belgians.

Tags
heirs, next generation