Monarchs Who Have Or Had Great Grandchildren

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King of Bahrain also has already one great-grandson.

Queen Desirée of Sweden lived to see four of her great-grandchildren - the future Queen Louise of Denmark, her brother Prince Carl Oskar, the future King Gustav V (whom she presented to the court on a silver platter) and his brother Prince Oskar Bernadotte.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Le Petit Dauphin's younger son, also Louis became Louis XV in 1715 (at the age of 5), as the senior most living descendant of his great-grandfather, Louis XIV. He would reign until 1774.
Louis XV also had great-grandchildren, although I doubt he ever met them, as they were the grandchildren of his oldest daughter, Louise Élisabeth, duchess of Parma. Grand-duke Henri of Luxembourg is one of her descendants, he is also a descendant of Louis XIV through king Philip V of Spain.

Last edited:
There is a picture of Count Lennart Bernadotte as a baby together with his mother Maria Pavlovna of Russia, his great-grandmother Queen Olga of Greece and his great-great-grandmother Alexandra Iosifovna of Russia

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

A photo of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden with his father, grandfather and great-grandfather

Prince Carl Gustav, 5th child and only son of Prince Gustav Adolf and Princess Sybilla of Sweden. Carl Gustav is being held by his great-grandfather, King Gustav V, while his grandfather, Crown Prince Gustav Adolf (later King Gustav VI) and father, Prince Gustav Adolf, look on.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/99/a5/94/99a59433e3adfd9f6dafe7545ca9184d.jpg

Source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/241998179950476199/

Louis XV also had great-grandchildren, although I doubt he ever met them, as they were the grandchildren of his oldest daughter, Louise Élisabeth, duchess of Parma. Grand-duke Henri of Luxembourg is one of her descendants, he is also a descendant of Louis XIV through king Philip V of Spain.

Yes, I know too.

Louis XV grandchildren's prarents were: Marie Louise (Born Princess of Parma) and Charles IV. (King of Spain, Cousin to Marie Louise). They had 13 children, but not all of them were from Charles. Probably Manuel Godoy - the Lover of Marie Louise - could be there father.

Queen Sofia of Spain is also a great-great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria, isn't she ?

At the age of 69, King Carl XVI Gustaf, who descends from Queen Victoria via two of her sons (Prince Arthur and Prince Leopold, respectively on his paternal and maternal lines) is probably one of the youngest of Victoria's great-great-grandchildren still alive.

In the line of succession to the British throne, King Harald V, however, is the highest among non-British monarchs (as a descendant from both Victoria and Edward VII), followed by Carl XVI Gustaf, Margrethe II and, way below, Willem-Alexander (who doesn't descend from Victoria, but descends from George II). Juan Carlos and Felipe VI are excluded from the British succession for being Catholic.

Realy ? Wilem-Alexander is related distantly to Carl XVI Gustav, Margrethe II ?

"
Queen Victoria ----> Victoria, Princess Royal -----> Sophia of Prussia ---> Paul I of the Hellenes ---> Sofia of Spain.

She is also, matrilineally, Victoria's great-great-great-granddaughter:

Queen Victoria ----> Victoria, Princess Royal -----> Wilhelm II, German Emperor ---> Viktoria Luise of Prussia---> Frederika of Hanover --- > Sofia of Spain."

Right.

Paul of the Hellenes married his niece Friederike of Prussia. Together the had 3 children: Sophia (Queen of Spain ), Konstantin (Ex King of Greece) and Irene.

Realy ? Wilem-Alexander is related distantly to Carl XVI Gustav, Margrethe II ?

Every European hereditary monarch today is a descendant of Johan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange.

Most are also descendants of either Victoria of the UK or Christian IX of Denmark, if not both, as are a number of the older consorts/dowagers.

"
Queen Victoria ----> Victoria, Princess Royal -----> Sophia of Prussia ---> Paul I of the Hellenes ---> Sofia of Spain.

She is also, matrilineally, Victoria's great-great-great-granddaughter:

Queen Victoria ----> Victoria, Princess Royal -----> Wilhelm II, German Emperor ---> Viktoria Luise of Prussia---> Frederika of Hanover --- > Sofia of Spain."

Right.

Paul of the Hellenes married his niece Friederike of Prussia. Together the had 3 children: Sophia (Queen of Spain ), Konstantin (Ex King of Greece) and Irene.

Yikes, of course intermarriage among related royals is well known but this is :ohmy: and :nonono:. I assume there is a thread on this topic but I could not find it with the search terms I used.

Yes, I know too.

Louis XV grandchildren's prarents were: Marie Louise (Born Princess of Parma) and Charles IV. (King of Spain, Cousin to Marie Louise). They had 13 children, but not all of them were from Charles. Probably Manuel Godoy - the Lover of Marie Louise - could be there father.
All three of Louise Élisabeth´s children had children of their own before Louis XV died, princess Isabella of Parma and archduke Joseph of Austria had four children, but all of them died young. The two oldest children of Ferdinand, duke of Parma and archduchess Maria Amalia of Austria were born in 1770 and 1773, prince Louis of Parma/Louis I of Etruria was the ancestor of grand-duke Henri.

Paul didn't marry his niece, their relationship was more distant:

Paul -> princess Sophia of Prussia -> Frederick III, German emperor

Frederica of Hanover -> princess Victoria Louise of Prussia -> Wilhelm II, German Emperor -> Frederick III, German emperor

Paul's mother and Frederica's grandfather were siblings, so Paul and Frederica were first cousins once removed.

Paul married his nice Friederike, daughter of his Cousin Victoria Louise.

First Cousins once removed - is a mistake.

All three of Louise Élisabeth´s children had children of their own before Louis XV died, princess Isabella of Parma and archduke Joseph of Austria had four children, but all of them died young. The two oldest children of Ferdinand, duke of Parma and archduchess Maria Amalia of Austria were born in 1770 and 1773, prince Louis of Parma/Louis I of Etruria was the ancestor of grand-duke Henri.

Isabella and Joseph had only 2 daughters, not 4 children.
Isabella had 2 or 3 miscarriages.

"niece is a daughter of one's sibling or half-sibling"
"A sibling is one of two or more individuals having one or both parents in common"

As Sphero explained above, a niece is the daughter of ones sibling, and Paul had only one niece, Alexandra, queen of Yugoslavia.

As you said yourself, Paul and Victoria Louise were cousins, not siblings, and that makes Frederica his cousin once removed, the child of a cousin.

You are correct that Isabella of Parma gave birth to two living children, but she had been pregnant four times, there was no mentioning how late her miscarriages were.

Last edited:
Sultan of the Ottoman Empire from 1595 to 1603 Mehmed III Adli was born while his great-grandfather Sultan Suleiman I the Magnificient was still alive.

Another Monarch is Siaosi (George) Tupou I of Tonga, who was succeeded in 1893 by his great-grandson, Tupou II.

King Albert and Queen Paola also have great grandchildren through their daughter Princess Astrid’s children.

Some currently living royals who are great-grandparents:

--King Albert II and Queen Paola of Belgium -3 Great-grandchildren: Anna Astrid (2016), Maximilian (2019) and Alix (2023) of Austria-Este, all through their eldest grandchild, Prince Amedeo, and his wife Elisabetta;

-Princess Astrid of Norway -3 Great-grandchildren as well: Nicoline (2019) and Ferdinand (2021) Ferner Johansen, (through her grandson Sebastian Ferner Johansen), and Hermine Karlsen (2023), through her granddaughter Madeleine Ferner Johansen;

-Diane, Dowager Duchess of Wurttemberg (born Princess of Orléans) -1 great-granddaughter, Olympia d'Andigné (2021), through her granddaughter Duchess Sophie of Wurttemberg. Also Diane's now late husband, Duke Carl (1936-2022) got to meet little Olympia;

-Princess Claude of Orleans (sister of Diane), forner Duchess of Aosta- 1 great-grandson, Dardo Martinoni Caleppio (2023), through her granddaughter Vera Arrivabene, and another great-grandchild is on the way, through Vera's elder sister, Viola;

-Anne, Dowager Duchess of Calabria (born Princess Anne of Orléans, sister of Diane and Claude)-1 great-granddaughter, Francesca Sofia of Bourbon-Two-Siciles, through her eldest grandchild, the Duke of Noto

Back
Top Bottom