Monarchs Who Have Or Had Great Grandchildren

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BritishRoyalist

Courtier
City
Somewhere
Country
United States
Beside Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II what other Past and Present Monarchs (current and former Royal Houses) were still Monarchs when a Great Grandchild was born who was in Direct Line for the throne?

Here One:
King Louis XV of France was born during the Reign of his Great Grandfather King Louis XIV.

King Christian IX of Denmark was alive to see his great grandson for the throne of Denmark. Also in the male line he was alive for the his great grandson heirs for Greece and Norway.

King Christian IX of Denmark was alive to see his great grandson for the throne of Denmark. Also in the male line he was alive for the his great grandson heirs for Greece and Norway.

And Britain - great-grandfather of both Edward VIII and George VI and Russia - great-grandfather of Alexis (of course he didn't reach the throne but was still born during the reign and lifetime of Christian IX).

Beside Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II what other Past and Present Monarchs (current and former Royal Houses) were still Monarchs when a Great Grandchild was born who was in Direct Line for the throne?

Here One:
King Louis XV of France was born during the Reign of his Great Grandfather King Louis XIV.

Went further as Louis XV actually succeeded his great-grandfather as his father and grandfather predeceased Louis XIV.

Both Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg and King Gustaf V of Sweden lived to welcome great-grandsons who have or are in line to succeed to the thrones of their respective countries (King Carl XVI Gustaf and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume) though the Grand Duchess had already abdicated almost two decades earlier.

Also Wilhelm I of Germany though his Great Grandson never reigned

King Gustaf V of Sweden lived to welcome great-grandsons who have or are in line to succeed to the thrones of their respective countries
King Gustav V:s father, king Oscar II also lived to welcome a great-grandson, prince Gustaf Adolf (father of king Carl XVI Gustaf) was born April 22, 1906 and king Oscar died December 8, 1907.

Queen Maria I (1734-1816) of Portugal was alive when her great-grandson, Infante Sebastián of Portugal and Spain, was born, in 1811. He was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where the Portuguese Royal Family lived between 1808 and 1821.

But the Queen's son, the future King João VI, was already Prince Regent.

Queen Victoria. As far as I know, her granddaughter Victoria (Born as a Princess of Hessen and by Rhine) and their husband Ludwig Mountbatten (Battenberg) had some children, who where born around 1900.
Queen Victoria died in 1901.

Went further as Louis XV actually succeeded his great-grandfather as his father and grandfather predeceased Louis XIV.

It was a Sensation in the european history. Louis XV succeeded his great-grandfather.

That was never known, as far as I know.

Louis XV 1/2. ;) (1729-1765) died before he become king of France, so his second eldest son Louis XVI. was king in 1774.

It was a Sensation in the european history. Louis XV succeeded his great-grandfather.

That was never known, as far as I know.

Louis XV 1/2. ;) (1729-1765) died before he become king of France, so his second eldest son Louis XVI. was king in 1774.

Louis XIV (1638-1715) reigned from 1643 to his death.

His eldest son, Louis, Grand Dauphin, died in 1711.

That Louis's eldest son, Louis, le Petit Dauphin, died in 1712.

His eldest son, Louis, Duke of Brittany, Dauphin of France, within a month of his father's death.

Le Petit Dauphin's younger son, also Louis became Louis XV in 1715 (at the age of 5), as the senior most living descendant of his great-grandfather, Louis XIV. He would reign until 1774.

Queen Victoria. As far as I know, her granddaughter Victoria (Born as a Princess of Hessen and by Rhine) and their husband Ludwig Mountbatten (Battenberg) had some children, who where born around 1900.
Queen Victoria died in 1901.
Queen Victoria lived to see more than half of her 87 great-grandchildren, the first of them was princess Feodora of Saxe-Meiningen, born in 1879, the granddaughter of Victoria, Princess Royal and daughter of princess Charlotte of Prussia.

Queen Victoria lived to see more than half of her 87 great-grandchildren, the first of them was princess Feodora of Saxe-Meiningen, born in 1879, the granddaughter of Victoria, Princess Royal and daughter of princess Charlotte of Prussia.

I know that.

87 great-grand children . :eek:

Princess Juliana of the Netherlands was still alive while her great-granddaughter, Princess Amalia was born.

Louis XIV (1638-1715) reigned from 1643 to his death.

His eldest son, Louis, Grand Dauphin, died in 1711.

That Louis's eldest son, Louis, le Petit Dauphin, died in 1712.

His eldest son, Louis, Duke of Brittany, Dauphin of France, within a month of his father's death.

Le Petit Dauphin's younger son, also Louis became Louis XV in 1715 (at the age of 5), as the senior most living descendant of his great-grandfather, Louis XIV. He would reign until 1774.

Yes I know. I read many books about the royals.

Former Grand Duke Jean has already seven great-grandchildren.
Late King Taufa'ahau Tupou of Tonga lived to see his first great-grandchild Phaedra (granddaughter of Princess Pilolevu, daughter of her eldest daughter Lupepau'u)
His widow, present Queen Mother Halaevala Mata'aho has already five great-grandchildren.
King of Thailand has at least one great-grandchild.

Last edited:
Former Grand Duke Jean has already five great-grandchildren.
Late King Taufa'ahau Tupou of Tonga lived to see his first great-grandchild Phaedra (granddaughter of Princess Pilolevu, daughter of her eldest daughter Lupepau'u)
His widow, present Queen Mother Halaevala Mata'aho has already five great-grandchildren.
King of Thailand has at least one great-grandchild.

Grand Duke Jean has 7 great grandchildren I think! His daughter Marie Astrid has 4 grandchildren and his son Grand Duke Henri has 3 at the moment.

He has seven in fact, sorry (I forgor Archdukes Imre & Christoph's daughters).

Another of her great-grandchildren was Alice of Battenberg, born in 1885, the mother of Prince Philip. Not sure but he has to be one of her few great-great-grandchildren still alive?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Another of her great-grandchildren was Alice of Battenberg, born in 1885, the mother of Prince Philip. Not sure but he has to be one of her few great-great-grandchildren still alive?

More than you would expect - Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Margarethe II, King Harald V, King Carl XVI Gustav, Michael I of Romania, Juan Carlos I, and Maria Vladimirovna, are all also great-great-grandchildren of Victoria.

Along with the Queen's other living first cousins - The Duke of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra and Prince Michael.

I believe that Philip is now the oldest living great-great-grandchild but there are others who are younger such as Margrethe's sisters.

Does anyone know who is the youngest great-great-grandchild still living and when they were born - I assume possibly in the 1950s?

Does anyone know who is the youngest great-great-grandchild still living and when they were born - I assume possibly in the 1950s?
The Hon. Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Ramsay (b. 15 April 1963) is the youngest daughter of Alexander Ramsey of Mar, his mother was princess Patricia of Connaught, daughter of prince Arthur, the third son of queen Victoria. The mother of Elizabeth Alexandra Mary is Flora Fraser, 21 Lady Saltoun.

More than you would expect - Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Margarethe II, King Harald V, King Carl XVI Gustav, Michael I of Romania, Juan Carlos I, and Maria Vladimirovna, are all also great-great-grandchildren of Victoria.

Queen Sofia of Spain is also a great-great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria, isn't she ?

At the age of 69, King Carl XVI Gustaf, who descends from Queen Victoria via two of her sons (Prince Arthur and Prince Leopold, respectively on his paternal and maternal lines) is probably one of the youngest of Victoria's great-great-grandchildren still alive.

In the line of succession to the British throne, King Harald V, however, is the highest among non-British monarchs (as a descendant from both Victoria and Edward VII), followed by Carl XVI Gustaf, Margrethe II and, way below, Willem-Alexander (who doesn't descend from Victoria, but descends from George II). Juan Carlos and Felipe VI are excluded from the British succession for being Catholic.

Last edited:
Queen Sofia's paternal grandmother was Sophia of Prussia who was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

Queen Sofia's paternal grandmother was Sophia of Prussia who was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

Which, patrilineally, makes her Victoria's great-great-granddaughter, right ?

Queen Victoria ----> Victoria, Princess Royal -----> Sophia of Prussia ---> Paul I of the Hellenes ---> Sofia of Spain.

She is also, matrilineally, Victoria's great-great-great-granddaughter:

Queen Victoria ----> Victoria, Princess Royal -----> Wilhelm II, German Emperor ---> Viktoria Luise of Prussia---> Frederika of Hanover --- > Sofia of Spain.

Queen Sofia BTW is also a great-great-granddaughter, both patrilineally and matrilineally, of Christian IX of Denmark (one's blood doesn't get "bluer" than that !).

Other great-great-grandchildren of Christian IX i
nclude, besides of course Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, Harald V of Norway, Albert II of Belgium, Joséphine Charlotte of Luxembourg, Constantine II of Greece, Michael I of Romania, and, again, Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.

At the age of 69, King Carl XVI Gustaf, who descends from Queen Victoria via two of her sons (Prince Arthur and Prince Leopold, respectively on his paternal and maternal lines) is probably one of the youngest of Victoria's great-great-grandchildren still alive.
There are at least ten younger great-great-grandchildren still alive, including some of his cousins (queen Anne-Maria and two of the three children of his maternal uncle prince Friedrich Josias), as well as Maria Vladimirovna, Grand Duchess of Russia, born 1953, and Alexander Ramsay's three daughters, born 1957, 1961 and 1963.

Other great-great-grandchildren of Christian IX include, besides of course Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, Harald V of Norway, Albert II of Belgium, Joséphine Charlotte of Luxembourg, Constantine II of Greece, Michael I of Romania, and, again, Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.

Add to that list of great-great-grandchildren the four children of QEII - through their father, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, who is a great-grandchild of Christian IX - - Christian XI - George I of the Hellenes - Prince Andrew of Greece - Philip.

Thus Charles is the same generation of descent from Christian IX as his mother through his father (QEII is a great-great-grandchild as are her four children who are also great-great-great-grandchildren)

Gets confusing thanks to all that intermarriage.

Besides Philip does anyone know how many other great-grandchildren of Christian IX are still living?

Besides Philip does anyone know how many other great-grandchildren of Christian IX are still living?
If Wikipedia is correct, then there are five other great-grandchildren living:

King Frederick VIII of Denmark ->
Princess Dagmar of Denmark ->
Christian Ludwig Gustav Fritz Castenskjold (1926)
Dagmar Louise Thyra Sophie Augusta Petra Castenskjold (1930)

King George I of the Hellenes ->
Prince Christopher of Greece and Denmark ->
Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark (1939)

Prince Valdemar of Denmark ->
Margaret, Princess René of Bourbon-Parma ->
Queen Anne of Romania (1923)
Prince Michel of Bourbon-Parma (1926)

Prince Philip is the oldest, born in 1921.

Thanks! Didn't bother doing some research before posting and here we are. Bit surprised over the result though.

Back
Top Bottom