The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Courtier

May I make a summary of this subject.

1. Some went some stayed.
2. Some were exemplary and some were not.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:44 AM
Courtier

The Duke fo Windsor (ex King Edward VIII) spent the war as Governor of the Bahamas. It was believed that the Duke should be kept as far away as possible from the war due to his fascist leanings.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
The Duke fo Windsor (ex King Edward VIII) spent the war as Governor of the Bahamas. It was believed that the Duke should be kept as far away as possible from the war due to his fascist leanings.
That's a fascinating fact.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I may be mistaken about this, but weren't many of the people who fled to Canada and the USA considered cowardly by those who stayed? I read Nancy Mitford's books set in that era, and she had some scathing things to say about people who used children as a ticket out.

(I remember there was a popular song titled The King is still in London that lauded him for refusing to evacuate.)

There was also that story that when Parliament was considering leaving the capital, the King and Churchill wore Sten guns onto the floor and said that if nobody else would stay and fight, they would.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

King Ferdinand I of Romania decorated French General Berthelot during World War I.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Starting in 1917 Emperor Charles I of Austria tried to make a separate peace treaty between Austria and the Allies. To this end he sent his brothers-in-law, Prince Sixtus and Prince Xavier, on several occasions, to the governments of France and England.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Consort Elizabeth spoke at the beginning of the Second World War to the nation.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Aristocracy

Looking at these images 99 years after the end of the 1914-18 War has made me speculate about how, if at all, the centenary of the end of so many monarchies will be marked next year when the thrones of Austria-Hungary, the German Empire/Prussia, Bavaria, Saxony, Wurttemberg, Montenegro, the German Grand Duchies, Principalities and Duchies plus the embryonic Kingdoms of Finland and Lithuania were all swept away. 1918 will also be the centenary of the murder of Tsar Nicholas II, as well.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I may be mistaken about this, but weren't many of the people who fled to Canada and the USA considered cowardly by those who stayed? I read Nancy Mitford's books set in that era, and she had some scathing things to say about people who used children as a ticket out.

I suppose that the monarchs who fled to England and continued the war from there with a government in exile, e.g. Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and Haakon VII of Norway, were viewed mostly favorably by the populace of their respective countries. Christian X stayed in Denmark during the war , but is still viewed mostly favorably as someone who (at least pasively) opposed / defied the Nazi occupation; the extent to which that was actually true is debatable.

Leopold III of the Belgians, who also stayed in the country and was effectively held under house arrest by the Germans, is on the contrary viewed mostly negatively for two main reasons: first, he was at odds with the Belgian government in exile in London, who had advised him to leave with them for England and continue the war from there; second, it was inevitable that his decision to surrender to the Germans would be contrasted to his father's heroic stance during WWI when King Albert I never surrendered and took personal command of the Belgian army, holding on to a small piece of unoccupied Belgian territory throughout the war. The latter, however, was not an option for Leopold III as, unlike in WWI, there was no stalemate and years-long trench warfare in Belgium; the German blitzkrieg pretty much overran the country and the Allies were not in a position to strike back until 1944.

In hindsight, following Wilhelmina's and Haakion's examples and leaving for England rather than surrendering and staying in Belgium against the advice of his own ministers would have been better in the long run for Leopold III's image, but subsequent insinuations that he was a collaborationist, especially after meeting with Hitler personally in 1940, are again debatable.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Nancy Mitford's books mentioned upper class English people, some with American connections, who opted to sit out the war in comfort in Canada and the US, rather than monarchs etc who fled to England because their countries were conquered.

Of course, for those who had Jewish blood, saw what had been happening on the Continent, and feared a German invasion of Britain, there was some excuse. As well, people of means feared mass bombing and wanted to at least get their children out even if they stayed. Quite a few such children crossed the Atlantic in the first year or so of the war. Then a u-boat attacked one of these vessels carrying youngsters and there was a huge loss of life. So the voyages virtually stopped.

Some were criticised in newspapers for flights out of Britain. I know Alexander Korda (the filmmaker) and Noel Coward, both of whom crossed over to the US frequently, were the subject of attack. Churchill was embarrassed, as Korda was often undertaking secret diplomatic missions in Washington on behalf of the British Government, but frequent Press attacks meant he had to defend Korda (a naturalised Englishman) on the floor of the House of Commons.

Coward was also on 'showing the British flag' endeavours on these excursions. The poet WS Auden, who had left the UK permanently for the US just before the start of the war, was also hauled over the coals by newspaper journalists, though what use he would have been in the British armed services, heaven knows!

As for more obscure middleclass people, who knows whether their departure across the Atlantic was greatly resented. No doubt opinion was mixed. Perhaps some said they were cowards, others 'Half their luck!' Some were too old to be of much help in the war effort anyway.