The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Micronations

Ever since I saw this documentary on TV, I have become interested in micronations. I was going to post something about that documentary yesterday, but to my surprise, I found a very good article* in this morningís newspaper. I have scanned the article, but it hasnít come out very well and the files were so big, that I had to break them up into smaller articles. It also may be confusing to read and itís mainly about Australian micronations, but I hope someone finds it interesting. Warning: there are a few swear words in the article.

* Good Weekend - The Sydney Morning Herald Magazine

A definition a micronation (from Wikipedia.org):
Micronations - which are sometimes also referred to as cybernations, fantasy countries, model countries, new country projects, and online nations - are entities that resemble independent states, but for the most part exist only on paper, on the Internet, or in the minds of their creators; a small number have also managed to extend some of their operations into the real world. When they do touch on the real world, they converge to some degree with other organizing paradigms that offer, or seem to offer, political or infrastructural independence of some sort.

The term micronation, which literally means "small nation", is a neologism originating in the 1990s to describe the many thousands of small unrecognized statelike entities that have mostly arisen since that time. The term has since also come to be used retrospectively to refer to earlier unrecognized entities, some of which date to as far back as the 19th century. Supporters of micronations use the term "Macronation" for any "real" sovereign nation-state.

Micronations generally have a number of common features:
  1. Many micronations assert that they wish to be widely recognised as sovereign states - but they are not so recognised by established states.
  2. Micronations are quite small, both geographically and in terms of membership. They rarely have more than a few thousand members - and the vast majority have no more than one or two active participants.
  3. Micronations typically issue formal instruments such as passports, stamps and currency, and confer titles and awards - but these are rarely recognised as having any form of validity outside their own communities of interest.
These criteria distinguish micronations from imaginary countries, eco-villages, campuses, tribes, clans, sects, and residential community associations, which do not usually seek to be recognized as sovereign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro2a.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	92854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro2b.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	92855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro2c.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	92856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro3a.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	92857  

Name:	Micro3b.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	92858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro4a.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	92859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro4b.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	92860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro4c1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	92861  

Name:	Micro4c2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	92862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	92863  

Old 02-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

More of the article:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Micro4d.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	92876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro5b.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	92878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro6a.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	92879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro7a.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	92881  

Name:	Micro7b.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	92882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro7c2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	92884  
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

... and some more. I really apologise for the poor quality of the article. :o If I find a better one, I will post it. Sorry!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Micro8b.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	92886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro9a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	92887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro9b.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	92888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro10.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	92889  

Old 02-12-2005, 01:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here are some links.

League of Micronations
Micronations
Micronations and sovereignty

Old 02-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Aristocracy

Cool!

Very Interesting!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:00 AM
Aristocracy

Look What I found

http://www.kingdomofvarennes.com/sit...sX-184x256.jpg

http://www.kingdomofvarennes.com/TheKing.html
Old 02-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks! :) Here's another: http://www.geocities.com/kingdomofhanover/monarchy.html
On that site, there was information about the provinces: http://www.kingdomofvarennes.com/provinces.html They are all around the world, and it's strange to think that a 'kingdom; is run in that manner. I could become Le comtesse de Camelot.:p There are positions vacant.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Aristocracy

Micronations

The Kingdom of Hanover has a new website, they don't use that old geocities site anymore. The new website is www.kingdomofhanover.com I should know, I am the former Heir to the Throne of Hanover, Prince Justin and now--its ironic but I am now the Heir to the Throne of Varennes, Msr. le Dauphin, SAR Prince Justin.

The King of Varennes(Louis I) was previously King of Hanover (James) until he wished to rule absolutely. Then he moved for greener pastures. Yes, Danielle I am a member of the Royal House of Marchmain. I have a signet ring with the Royal crest on it and so on. It is very interesting to be a part of. I have been involved with this since before I joined this board. Countess of Camelot is something that I do not know about :). The Province of Camelot covers all the Kings subjects who reside in Great Britain, I believe.

It is very interesting, you would be most welcome.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...id=95789&stc=1
Old 02-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the information. It's so interesting that you are part of a Royal House. :P What is it like? Are you given the ring on becoming a member of the royal house?

Old 02-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Aristocracy

House of Marchmain

The ring was commissioned by my own person with my own personal funds. It is great being a member of the Royal house and I take it quite seriously. I was very surprised when you gave the link to Hanover. That is a very old link from the Reign of Thomas I. I lived in Florida during that time, times have changed. Well, Danielle, if you wish to know anymore about my Family please don't desitate to ask.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Aristocracy

Lord Williams

Well, as a matter of fact, you just did offend me. That was a very insulting comment and I don't know how one could say that without meaning to be offensive.

First of all, I never "imagined" myself as a member of a Royal House. A community of like minded individuals, some of which consider micronations a hobby made it possible for me to receive the titles. I never assumed them or imagined them. For me it isn't really a hobby, I take it seriously and don't joke around about it too much. It may be smaller than England but the people recognized me as a Prince just the same. Who decides who is royalty. Its not a race and they are just spawned. There are no chemical or physical characteristics to being Royalty.

As to "mentally tiring", that is what insulted me. That implies that I am not of stable mind. Insulting, no other way to say that. Its not as if I go around my hometown and say that I am HRH Prince Justin of Hanover. Its not as if I wave when I am in a car or when I stand on a balcony. The main reason that I am royal is that I respect the title. I am chivalric and there is nothing wrong with that. But if you want to talk mentally tiring, look at other royals. I am more than likely saner than most of them.

I am also very monarchist. I may be an American and though I don't neccessarily see an American king in the near future, I want to see monarchy preserved around the world. It is an amazing form of government and I admire it.

Whether you intended to insult me or not, that was an insulting comment.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I donít think Reina meant her comments to be interpreted as offensive. No one is questioning your sanity, but the fact that you are titled as a prince, and you are not a member of an established royal family (Denmark, Belgium etc) or even a non-ruling family, (Yugoslavia or Bulgaria etc), is quite strange if you think about it. Most people, like myself, have not really investigated the whole idea of Micronations, so itís new concept.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Aristocracy

Hrh

Danielle:

I don't know if she meant for it to be insulting but "mentally tiring" is not your average everyday question.

You have been quite kind and respectful when asking questions, for which I am grateful.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Serene Highness

queen of the castle

so i really can be queen of my own castle; does that mean i will be recongize by the other royal familie?
i think this subject is interesting because now anyone can be royal. do u think it will make the other royals behave better since they wont be so rare?
:p
Old 03-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Aristocracy

micronations

No, all royal families might not recognize you. Also, even some micronations may choose not to recognize you.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Williams
No, all royal families might not recognize you. Also, even some micronations may choose not to recognize you.
Why would they choose not to recognise you?

Old 03-29-2005, 06:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle
It would depend on the basis of the Micronation and what it represented. Micronations are the collective of like minded people who form a national identity. This can either be a role-play game set in a fantacy land or a collection of 'real' people who identify themselves as a nation either by political/ethical ideology or territorial ideology who propose an alternative to an existing regime or representative of a small-sub-national identity such as the inhabitants of a village etc.

Micronations who see themselves as representing 'real' people as an alternative political existance than the established regime (e.g. if a group of monachists in america established micronation of The Kingdom of Manhatten) are less likley to recognise a 'fantacy' micronation (e.g. the Empire of Spongebob) whos territory is totaly imaginary. Micronations who take them selves less seriously and want to be a part of the international micronation comunity are likely to be more friendley than micronations who have a political agenda.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Aristocracy

micronatios

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splodger
It would depend on the basis of the Micronation and what it represented. Micronations are the collective of like minded people who form a national identity. This can either be a role-play game set in a fantacy land or a collection of 'real' people who identify themselves as a nation either by political/ethical ideology or territorial ideology who propose an alternative to an existing regime or representative of a small-sub-national identity such as the inhabitants of a village etc.

Micronations who see themselves as representing 'real' people as an alternative political existance than the established regime (e.g. if a group of monachists in america established micronation of The Kingdom of Manhatten) are less likley to recognise a 'fantacy' micronation (e.g. the Empire of Spongebob) whos territory is totaly imaginary. Micronations who take them selves less seriously and want to be a part of the international micronation comunity are likely to be more friendley than micronations who have a political agenda.
Oh thank you, Splodger. :) That's very logical and makes perfect sense.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle
In Australia (where many of these micronations physically exist), there is also the issue of the Australian constitution.

Section 124 of the Australian constitution states that:

"A new State may be formed by seperation of territory from a State, but only with the consent of the Parliament thereof, and a new state may be formed by the union of two or more States or parts of States, but only with the consent of the Parliament of the States affected."

This is a very clear statement, that unless the Parliaments of the states in which micronations exist in Australia, the micronations do not exist. That would be adequate for any legitimate Royal family to refuse to recognise a self-styled "Royal" family of a micronation.

But obviously the Australian constitution only speaks for the Comonwealth of Australia.