Micronations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course,I have heard of the Principality of Sealand.Here's an article about Sealand; Principality of Sealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .The Republic of Somaliland IS a proper country,as it covers the same territory as the British Somaliland Protectorate. Here's an article about Somaliland; Somaliland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .Somaliland,like Zimbabwe,& Ireland,has more right to be a British Commonwealth member state than either Cameroon or Mozambique (who were allowed to join under false pretenses.

Israel is also a proper country.

The self-declared 'Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus' is an illegal puppet state that has been set up by Turkey since 1974 (yet Turkey wants to join the E.U.,& refuses to recognise Cyprus as a proper country).I cannot believe that the New Zealand Government (whose foreign affairs & external relations policies are extremely braindead) has diplomatic relations with Turkey,whose government is a serial abuser of human rights,& one who has stuck its nose in the internal affairs of Cyprus (which is a British Commonwealth member state)for far too long!

Aidan.

YIKES! Let's avoid any scathing political discussions, here. Israelis would be the first to point out that lack of recognition by neighbouring countries is a huge problem. But the country is administered from Tel Aviv, (and quite effectively), so denial is just that.
Similarly, the northern section of Cyprus (and part of Nicosia) is administered by the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. Yet it is only recognised by Turkiye Cumhuriyeti (Republic of Turkey). Not recognising this certainly does nothing to improve peace or unity.
The affairs of Cyprus and the breakup of the Ottoman Empire were bound to cause problems between ethnic Turks and Greeks all over. The post-Ottoman wars caused my grandmum and her parents to leave Turkey for France in 1922, so I've heard my share of stories over the years. Given that the various other European empires have seriously trespassed human rights as well, I don't believe that anyone has the right to criticise the events at the end of the Ottoman Empire.
SO...
...back to the micronations. I both see and agree with your distinction between the legitimate states like Somaliland and dubious ones like Sealand. I think Sealand is the funniest, though, because it is so proposterous.

Royalist0007 said:
Warren,you should read this Australian Department of Territories document; www.brumbywatchaustralia.com/AUSTEO_SECRET.gif .This proves that Hutt River DOES have a legal status distinct from either the Commonwealth of Australia itself or the State of Western Australia.
Aidan, this is an unsigned and undated memo to the Minister with the author choosing to use initials rather than his/her name and position. It has no legal validity.

Rather than spurious documents, go to the real thing: Australian Government - Australian Taxation Office webpage, dated 30 November 2005:

'Hutt River Province' and international business companies
space.gif

Warning to potential investors

The Australian Government does not legally or otherwise recognise the so-called ‘Hutt River Province’.

The Tax Office has identified a situation where non-residents of Australia have been offered the chance to purchase international business companies and other entities purportedly incorporated or registered in the ‘Hutt River Province’.

We are concerned that the companies and other entities may be sold as part of a tax avoidance or evasion arrangement.

People should avoid any arrangements involving ‘Hutt River Province’ international business companies and any other entities as well as any associated international dealings because they have no legal basis and could be illegal.

Copyright © Commonwealth of Australia

Warren,if the Aussie Government doesn't recognise Hutt River,then why is it left alone? Perhaps,they are afraid that if the politicians tried to take action,then there would be a backlash,given the fact that there is still an active secessionist movement in Western Australia.

I know that the Aussie Government tried legal action,but it didn't work.Then Aussie Post tried to subject it to a mail boycott back in the 1970's (thus mail to & from Hutt River was routed through Canada),until it was found to be illegal.

Hutt River has been a success for 37 years.Perhaps,it is time to leave it alone,& recognise it as a full British Commonwealth member state,along with Somaliland,Ireland,& Zimbabwe (once Mugabe's nutcase regime is gone from power).

Aidan.

Prince of Chota said:
YIKES! Let's avoid any scathing political discussions, here. Israelis would be the first to point out that lack of recognition by neighbouring countries is a huge problem. But the country is administered from Tel Aviv, (and quite effectively), so denial is just that.
Similarly, the northern section of Cyprus (and part of Nicosia) is administered by the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. Yet it is only recognised by Turkiye Cumhuriyeti (Republic of Turkey). Not recognising this certainly does nothing to improve peace or unity.
The affairs of Cyprus and the breakup of the Ottoman Empire were bound to cause problems between ethnic Turks and Greeks all over. The post-Ottoman wars caused my grandmum and her parents to leave Turkey for France in 1922, so I've heard my share of stories over the years. Given that the various other European empires have seriously trespassed human rights as well, I don't believe that anyone has the right to criticise the events at the end of the Ottoman Empire.
SO...
...back to the micronations. I both see and agree with your distinction between the legitimate states like Somaliland and dubious ones like Sealand. I think Sealand is the funniest, though, because it is so proposterous.

Turkey's claim to northern Cyprus is illegal under international convention.The same thing applies to Ireland's claim to Ulster,Spain's claim to Gibraltar,Argentina's claim to the Falkland Islands,Somalia's claim to Somaliland,& Guatemala's claim to Belize.

Both Greece & Turkey have been sticking their noses in the internal affairs of Cyprus (which is a fully independent British Commonwealth member state,by the way!) for far too long.The British were far better rulers of Cyprus than the Turks ever were.The Greeks tried to force the British to hand Cyprus over to Greece.There would have been a Serbian-style bloodbath in Cyprus if Cyprus had been handed over to the Greeks.

Both Somaliland & Hutt River should be recognised as fully independent British Commonwealth member states in their own right

Aidan.

It's probably a good time to return to the thread topic of the Commonwealth of Nations coins and banknotes.
c

Does anyone know if there were any commemorative coins issued to mark the installation of the 13th. Yang Di-Pertuan Agong?

Aidan.

Royalist0007 said:
Does anyone know if there were any commemorative coins issued to mark the installation of the 13th. Yang Di-Pertuan Agong?

Aidan.

My friend working at the National Bank says that so far no commemmorative coins issued for the occassion, and it's very rare to see such coins considering that the Installation is every 5 years. But as for stamps, yes there is:

http://www.pos.com.my/v1/

Ephram said:
My friend working at the National Bank says that so far no commemmorative coins issued for the occassion, and it's very rare to see such coins considering that the Installation is every 5 years. But as for stamps, yes there is:

http://www.pos.com.my/v1/

Ephram,I am surprised that there were no commemorative coins issued to commemorate the installation of the 13th. Yang Di-Pertuan Agong,yet there were some that were issued to commemorate the installation of the 12th. Yang Di-Pertuan Agong back in 2002.

Aidan.

Royalist0007 said:
Ephram,have you seen one of these; pandangan belakang - Uniquely Kelantan - Fotopages.com ? It is depicting a Kelantanese gold 1 Dinar coin dated AH1427 (2006).

Here's an article; Kelantanese dinar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Aidan.

I've never seen that. I wonder how valuable this dinar is. The only currency valid for Malaysia is the Ringgit which depicting the picture of the first Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Abdul Rahman Ibni Tuanku Muhammad (of Negeri Sembilan).

http://monety.banknoty.pl/banknotes/malaysia/MalaysiaP44-100Ringgit-(1999)-donatedth_f.jpg

Ephram said:
I've never seen that. I wonder how valuable this dinar is. The only currency valid for Malaysia is the Ringgit which depicting the picture of the first Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Abdul Rahman Ibni Tuanku Muhammad (of Negeri Sembilan).

http://monety.banknoty.pl/banknotes/malaysia/MalaysiaP44-100Ringgit-(1999)-donatedth_f.jpg

Ephram,that gold Dinar only circulates in Kelantan,as it was issued by the State's Government.In fact,the public servants are being encouraged to accept part payment in Ringgit,& part payment in Kelantanese Dinars.

Here's an article about where the Kelantanese Dinar is derived from; Islamic gold dinar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .The Kelantanese Dinar is the same fineness of gold.

There are also 1/4 & 1/2 Dinar coins from Kelantan as well.There was supposed to be a silver Kelantanese Dirham struck,but I haven't heard anything further.

Aidan.

Last edited:
Chaz was a numistist, and a philatilist. But only U.S. coins and stamps,Chaz broke those habits.

I remember a few years ago I watch this called how it create your own country.
It featured Prince Richard of Sealand he tells people what they need to do.
Like writing out a consitution and make a coat of arms I forget the name of
the host.It was interesting show to see and some people use their last name
for their title even though it is not a real place either.

The only micronation I am aware of is the Hutt River Principality in Western Australia, which covers 75 square kilometres. It split from the Commonwealth in 1970 after disputes with the WA Government over wheat quotas. HRH Prince Leonard says that he remains loyal to HM Queen Elizabeth II.

It website is : Official Home Site of the Principality of Hutt River

Personally, I think only a few micronations are established for a cause while most are business operations/publicity stunts, although I like the idea of being my own king. Maybe I will secede if Australia becomes a republic?:lol:

:previous:
The so-called "Principality of Hutt River" is a nonsense.
It is nothing more than a Western Australian wheat, barley, cattle and sheep farm dressed up as a "principality" to lure the gullible and the curious into parking their caravans and campervans for a night or two and buying worthless souvenirs.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it is legitimate. This is a thread on Micronations, so I thought I'd post a link about one and a bit of background information. I think there are few, if any, micronations, which actually stand for something.

Here's a link to a good micronation clearing house: What Is A Micronation?

Some of them are plainly daft, some are..."eccentric" is the most polite term...some are earnest in their beliefs. Depending on who you're talking to, some of them take it quite seriously, indeed.

As to "legitimacy" in re the Australian constitution, I believe that covers forming a new state within Australia - most countries have similar laws on the books...It certainly doesn't cover questions of direct secession.

In the link above, see the link for the Montevideo Convention...

Back
Top Bottom