The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Nobility

I don't want to be malicious but there is some joke about royalty - we couldn't say that XVIII King is truly king, we never know, if a young throne prince is more similar to a hadsome servant than his royal father.

In the past royal's marriages was a political deal, hardly ever love, so I wouldn't be suprise. And I wouldn't say sb is only 1/4 royal. He/she is royal until they children of the royal couple.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Courtier

I think I agree with MelinaB., mesalliances risk to reduce tha charm of Royal Families. When they will be normal people it will be hard to understand why they have such privileges and duties.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Aristocracy

There is no such thing as 1/4 royal blood! You inherit genes from both parents and no scientist has ever isolated a royal gene. Royalty is a family or dynastic concept, a class or caste if you will. The old maxim that it is a wise child who knows its father is as true now as it ever was.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Sorry, Hereditary Thane, but it is centuries that all european royal and noble families reason about percentage of royal or noble blood: you are free to don't like it, but if you don't like it, it means that you don't like royalty!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Aristocracy

I did not mean to annoy or impose my belifes upon you, Amedea. What I posted is an accepted scientific and sociological fact. I have a long recorded geneaolgy but I would never be so audacious as to say I am 1/8 royal on my mother's side or 1/4 on my father's side. I'd be considered a laughing stock. I am a royalist, not an ostreich.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Courtier

There is no pressure of reigning royals or nobles to marriage within each other and then again they are somewhat connected to each other by blood.That is why they marry commoners and for those non reigning royals or nobles just like another member mention they must follow those old house laws to keep their titles ,inherit money,or the headship.They are very strict and making sure that their houses still full of blue blood.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_r View Post
Has anyone noticed that the main royals seem to be marrying people without titles but most minor royals are still marrying aristocrats . Does anyone know any reason why ?
I believe it's for the preservation of their social standing. That's also how the European monarchies are dominated with Queen Victoria's bloodline. It all started with preserving the family fortune.
If you look at the British royal family and take away the scandals and the goofy stuff that's going on, people love to have this king to look up to - the royals are like celebrities. ~ Kevin J. Anderson
Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Commoner

Have any of you ever heard about the Cilane?
CILANE website | CILANE.eu
CILANE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Commoner

Depends on the circumstances of the given Monarchy. For example - it would be highly inappropriate for the French, German, Austrian or Italian houses to allow commoner marriage. While it would not be so in the case of the British or Spanish crowns.

As for the whole "it was nicer when royals married each other" --- This was one of the reasons for World War I. We do not want inter-royal marriages, that's what nobility is for.
-John Hancock, upon signing the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776
Old 05-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Aristocracy

Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume is engaged to be married with countess Stephanie.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Serene Highness

When discussing royals marrying nobles, don't forget the marriage between infanta Elena of Spain and Jaime de Marichalar, his father is a Spanish count.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMountbatten View Post
I believe it's for the preservation of their social standing. That's also how the European monarchies are dominated with Queen Victoria's bloodline. It all started with preserving the family fortune.
Queen Victoria wasn't as concerned about grand marriages and titles as her continental relations. She certainly allowed her family members to marry people they would not have been allowed to marry had she been a German Empress. Families like Teck, Battenberg, the Campbells of Argyll, the MacDuffs of Fife, etc were perfectly acceptable to her as Queen of GB but would not have been acceptable on the continent. She believed new blood was needed in royal families.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Courtier

Crown Prince of luxembourg marries a woman of the Belgian Nobility and the Belgian Crown Prince marries a woman of belgian Nobility too
Old 02-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
When discussing royals marrying nobles, don't forget the marriage between infanta Elena of Spain and Jaime de Marichalar, his father is a Spanish count.
Elena's aunt Infanta Pilar also married a Spanish noble,Don Luis Gomez-Acebo,Viscount de la Torre.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Courtier

The crownprince of egypt married an afghan princess in 2013,
The last king of irak was engaged to a princess from egypt.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancakli70 View Post
The crownprince of egypt married an afghan princess in 2013,
And that was great. But both were Royals, so no marriage between Royalty and Nobility.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Nobility

I suppose the Princely Family of Ligne is regarded as Nobility not Royalty.

So, in 1981, Princess Eleonora of Brazil married Prince Michel of Ligne (now, the 14th Prince of Ligne). Later that year, her brother, Prince Antonio of Brazil, married his sister, Princess Christine of Ligne.

This year, the daughter of Prince Antonio and Princess Christine, Princess Amélia of Brazil, will marry Alexander Spearman, who descends from the Spearman Baronets, from Scotland.