Marriage to Commoners vs Royals/Nobles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Prince of Lechtenstein married Angela Brown (of African descent) How has that been taken? I dont follow this couple but does she have many problems?

Australian said:
The Prince of Lechtenstein married Angela Brown (of African descent) How has that been taken? I dont follow this couple but does she have many problems?
I have this question in my mind too

no i was just wondering because the other poster was talking about the subject so i was just curious.

Australian said:

The couple is living in NYC and maybe show up in Liechtenstein once a year. I doubt if there would be any problems as the princely family of Liechtenstein lead a low-profile life, in accordance to the size of their principality (40.000 inhabitants). I believe Hans-Adam wasn't overpleased with the mariage, as he wasn't very glad with the marriage of his daughter to Phillip von Lattorf, because he still favours marriages with royalty or (higher) nobility.

Marengo said:
The couple is living in NYC and maybe show up in Liechtenstein once a year. I doubt if there would be any problems as the princely family of Liechtenstein lead a low-profile life, in accordance to the size of their principality (40.000 inhabitants). I believe Hans-Adam wasn't overpleased with the mariage, as he wasn't very glad with the marriage of his daughter to Phillip von Lattorf, because he still favours marriages with royalty or (higher) nobility.

thank you for that Marengo :)

I seen pics of them as a family with their kids and they look like a normal happy family :)

Hi, Catherine!

Thank you for your response to my post! It was certainly very colourful! :D I decided to follow your lead and respond in colour as well.. I hope you don't mind.

Originally Posted by lokini
As for a black person marrying into a European Royal family; As a black person, here is my opinion:

A black man definitely could not do it, even if he is Kofi Annan's son, a diplomat, a member of Mensa and holds a graduate degree from Harvard (Magna Cum laude). Perhaps that goes without saying. Can you imagine the reaction in Sweden if Crown Princess Victoria presented the above black man as her fiancee? (are you scared yet? ;-) )I think that both Carl Gustaf and Silvia would probably have to be heavily sedated.

Where do you get this silly idea?? Of course it would be perfectly posible. You seem to have the idea that Europe is a racist continent. We're not more or less than others, and a black prince or princess would be perfectly possible.

I'm not going to assume your ethnicity, but perhaps you could take into consideration that I get this 'silly' idea from my own experience as a black person, who has lived and travelled through Europe. Sure, it's possible for a black man to marry into a Reigning Royal family, just like it's possible to find a cure for cancer. I just don't think it's likely. I wouldn't say that all Europeans are rapaging racists, but I personally think that racism is still a major problem in Europe. Sometimes it is relatively dormant, sometimes it is not. Perhaps you snoozed through the riots in France, and somehow missed the comments regarding the 'Black Prince" in Monaco, and skipped over the statements made by a member of the Dansk Volkparti regarding Frederik marrying a black woman when Joachim got engaged to Alexandra. I certainly didn't miss them, but then, I'm a light sleeper.

I used Crown Princess Victoria in my little hypothetical scenario specifically because she will one day be Queen, which of course means that one day her children will reign. Which means if she married a black man, a black person would sit on the throne of Sweden.(not that there hasn't been people of black blood in Europe's monarchies in the past-but it was kept hush hush) I don't think there would be rivers of blood running through the streets of Stockholm over this, but I think there would be some murmuring, maybe even some talk about the 'validity of the monarchy' ; at the least, it would trigger a debate. There would be less controversy if the Royal in question who is marrying a black person is much lower in the line of succession. After all, Lady Davina Lewis is married to a man who is half Maori, and it didn't cause any problem in England. But then, she is so far down in the line of succession that what she does really doesn't matter.

However, that woman would have to have the same qualifications as the black man above, and god help her if she makes a mistake. She will have even less margin for error than our friend Mary.

The same nonsense.... Mary is only criticized on this board, not in Denmark, please make a difference between this forum and the real world.

Point Taken. Perhaps my statement regarding Mary was inaccurate. I should have used Mette-Marit as an example. Please forgive my little faux pas:D

Last edited:
I didn't know Angela and Max were living in NYC. I thought they lived in Hamburg?

Maybe you are right, I assumed tthat they were still living there but of course they might have moved. Anyway, they are not living in Liechtenstein :)

I think the worst family when it comes to marrying a commoner, for women at least, is Japan. When the emperors' only daughter married a commoner, she lost her title.

It's just that I had always read that Max was working for a company in Hamburg, and that was where they were living. So, I wasn't saying you were wrong. I just thought maybe they had left Germany.

is it possible for a royal to marry some one who 's parents werent married?? will there be adversity??

It may becoming tacky, but there really aren't any choices between the royal circles. They are almost all intermixed. I say with this new fresh blood should do so that they newly infants can interact with each other in the future.

I have to agree with the previous posts. All of the royal families of Europe anyway are all related somehow. Sometimes it's better to go outside "the circle" so to speak. To me royals who have married commoners and have had children, the children seem to be better adjusted. In my opinion anyway.

They are not related that closely anymore these days, especiually the younger generations. So it's time for some equal marriages :)

depends, if it happens for several generations it is. But if the royals would intermarry now it couldn't be regarded as inbreeding as most of them are not closely related.

I agree with the previous posts. However, I still think it would be ok for them to look elsewhere since there aren't many royals their own age now. I wonder if there are any royals still affected by the Queen Victoria disease: hemophilia.

Not anymore, it was passed through grandduchess Alice of Hesse, to her daughters Pss Irene of Prussia and Empress Alexandra of Prussia. The descendents of these ladies either didn't maarry at all or didn't marry any of the anscestors of today's royals. Prince Leopold's line also had the gene, which was transferred to Pss Alice, countess of Athlone. Her son rupert was hemophilic. I don't know if her daughter May Abel-Smith had the gene, but her descendents didn't marry royalty either. The 3rd child of Victoria to pass the gene was Pss Beatrice of Battenberg, her daughter Queen Victoria-Eugenia of Spain had a hemophilic son. Her two daughters didn't marry royalty but Victoria-Eugenia's great-granddaughter Pss Sybilla of Luxembourg could theoretically have the gene, though there are no signs that she has (so I assume she doesn't transmit it).
So in short, none of todays royals can have hemophilia through the genes of Queen Victoria.

Thanks! What about through the line of Queen Marie of Romania?

Yeah but since most of them are related in some ways, the gene pool is still small.

It'll be healthier to marry outsiders, just to add more to the gene pool.

Perhaps many years from now, when some generations have passed in the Royal Houses, it will become an issue that there is almost no "royal blood" left and perhaps the republicans will use that argument then - but not in these times.

Or they can do what the ancient Romans did, when the Julio-Claudian dynasty died out...accept that someone who was not of royal, or in this case imperial, blood (which to the Romans was quite a relief considering the last of the line) could do just as well, if not better in the role.

I'm thinking of the Emperor Trajan -- commoner, AND non-Roman-born (Spanish). :flowers:

I think the only RF left in Europe that tends to stick to marrying nobility is the Belgian RF. The current King Albert and his late brother King Baudouin both married princesses/high nobility. Prince Philippe married a noblewoman, and his sister Astrid married a nobleman.

If this keeps up, the Saxe-Coburgs will be the only truly blue-blooded Royals left!

I wonder why? Is there some kind of rule that they have?

It does not happen often that royals marry a royal ,noble, or an arisocrat.
But the princely family of Liechtenstein is the only other reigning house other
than Beligum were their royals continue to marry a royal,noble, or an arisocrat.
Here is a list of those who have done what I have mention above:
1.Hereditary Prince Alois married Princess Sophia of Bavaria (who is a German royal princess at birth).
2.Prince Constantin married Countess Maria Gabriele Franciska (who is noble).
3.Princess Tatjiana married Baron Phillp von Lattofff (who is noble).
4.Prince Nikolaus married Princess Maragretha of Luxembourg (who is a Luxembourgish
royal princess at birth).
5.Princess Nora who married Marquess de Marino (who was noble).

is it possible for a royal to marry some one who 's parents werent married?? will there be adversity??

Depends on the country, I think. If it was a catholic country there might be a problem, but I doubt it would be a problem in the scandinavian countries. At least in Denmark, since it's quite common here to have kids and live together but not be married. It's not considered shamefull or anything like that. At least not in the later 20-30 years after the generations of the 60'ties and 70'ties. My parents were never married, they didn't even live together and I've never heard one bad word about it, especially not today where we have a whole generation of kids and youngsters whose parents aren't married or are divorced.

Hi, Catherine!

Originally Posted by lokini
As for a black person marrying into a European Royal family; As a black person, here is my opinion:

A black man definitely could not do it, even if he is Kofi Annan's son, a diplomat, a member of Mensa and holds a graduate degree from Harvard (Magna Cum laude). Perhaps that goes without saying. Can you imagine the reaction in Sweden if Crown Princess Victoria presented the above black man as her fiancee? (are you scared yet? ;-) )I think that both Carl Gustaf and Silvia would probably have to be heavily sedated.

Where do you get this silly idea?? Of course it would be perfectly posible. You seem to have the idea that Europe is a racist continent. We're not more or less than others, and a black prince or princess would be perfectly possible.

I'm not going to assume your ethnicity, but perhaps you could take into consideration that I get this 'silly' idea from my own experience as a black person, who has lived and travelled through Europe. Sure, it's possible for a black man to marry into a Reigning Royal family, just like it's possible to find a cure for cancer. I just don't think it's likely. I wouldn't say that all Europeans are rapaging racists, but I personally think that racism is still a major problem in Europe. Sometimes it is relatively dormant, sometimes it is not. Perhaps you snoozed through the riots in France, and somehow missed the comments regarding the 'Black Prince" in Monaco, and skipped over the statements made by a member of the Dansk Volkparti regarding Frederik marrying a black woman when Joachim got engaged to Alexandra. I certainly didn't miss them, but then, I'm a light sleeper.

I used Crown Princess Victoria in my little hypothetical scenario specifically because she will one day be Queen, which of course means that one day her children will reign. Which means if she married a black man, a black person would sit on the throne of Sweden.(not that there hasn't been people of black blood in Europe's monarchies in the past-but it was kept hush hush) I don't think there would be rivers of blood running through the streets of Stockholm over this, but I think there would be some murmuring, maybe even some talk about the 'validity of the monarchy' ; at the least, it would trigger a debate. There would be less controversy if the Royal in question who is marrying a black person is much lower in the line of succession. After all, Lady Davina Lewis is married to a man who is half Maori, and it didn't cause any problem in England. But then, she is so far down in the line of succession that what she does really doesn't matter.

However, that woman would have to have the same qualifications as the black man above, and god help her if she makes a mistake. She will have even less margin for error than our friend Mary.

I think you're right there might be problems with some parts of the public in these countries but I dont see a problem with the larger public, so if the monarchy already had a large amount of support from the public, it would'nt be the end of it. I think most people would see through the race issue and if it was true love, and she (I agree it would probably be a bit more difficult for a man than a woman) would be very much accepted and even loved by most people. You mention dansk folkeparti, but even though they have a rather large (and must I say embarrassing) support in the danish public, they are nowhere near speaking for half of the population. Therefore it would not be the end of the danish monarchy since the support for the danish is very high, and if a danish prince was to fall in love with a black woman and would insist on going through with the marriage, it could happen. The strength of his love and his personal strength to face debate would be the deciding factor here, not the racist views of some danes.

Still, inbreeding is bad.

Why? and please don'use QV and haemophilia as an example. This disease was NOT caused by inbreeding, NOR did it spread because of inbreeding. There is a great divide in the royal families of Europe that means families from one side are not closely related to families on the other. That divide is called Religion. If William of Wales was allowed to marry a Catholic there are dozens of Princesss he could choose from and be only remotley related to them. All the Bavarians, Habsburgs, Liechtensteins and most of the Bourbons for starters.

No there not that divided as you are saying here is a few examples why.
The Danish royals and the Swedish royals are 1st cousins by blood.
The Beligan royals andLuxembourg royals are 1st cousins by blood.
The Swedish royals and Norways royals are related but I forget how.
Once your related no matter how close or far you are still related and
that is why the reigning royals are not marrying one another.
There seeking another people to marry that are not related some
marry nobles, an arisocrtats,but most royals are marrying commoners.
Some royals might be afraid to marry a close or distant cousin because
their children could possibly come out as retarded or lame.

Back
Top Bottom