Longest Royal Marriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BritishRoyalist

Courtier
City
Somewhere
Country
United States
What Royal Couples past or present have had the longest Marriage? If you can try and post ones who were (Or have been) married for at least 30 + Years if you can. Everyone has a different idea on what is considered a Long Marriage. Some say 20 at most is considered Long which I agree with.

The Top 5 Longest British Royal Marriages between a Monarch and their Spouse:
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip: 65 Years
King George III and Queen Charlotte: 57 Years
King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra: 47 Years
King George V and Queen Mary: 42 Years
King George II and Queen Caroline: 32 Years

I only started with King George I and went form there so if there was a monarch before that who was married longer then the five I listed above feel free to post.

I also only did the British Monarchy so others well have to list the Longest Marriages of other Monarchies as I don't know a lot about Norway, Denmark, Sweden, etc.

Also it doesn't only have to be between a Monarch and their Spouse. It can be any Royal couple I just did it that way.

Last edited:
Here one for the Netherlands

Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard: 67 years

The previous count and countess of Paris were married for 68 years.

The problem with looking at these marriages is that divorce wasn't an option so it is possible that they were 'married' in name but were actually living totally separate lives.

Princess Helena, Queen Victoria's daughter was married for over 50 years (I remember that Wilhelm II even sent them a congratulatory telegram for the occasion during the war).

Weren't they actually living apart for the last 20 or something years of his life? He was living with a woman named Monique-something, who attended him at his death?

Here is what i found about Sweden:
Prince Oscar bernadotte Duke of Gotland and Princess Ebba Bernadotte were married for 58 years
Prince Carl Duke of Vstergotland and Princes Ingeborg Duchess of Vastergotland were married for 54 years
King Oscar II and Queen Sofia were married for 50 years
King Gustaf V and Queen Victoria were married for 49 years
King Chareles XIV and III John and Queen Desiree were married for 46 years

Princess Isabel, Princess Imperial of Brazil, and Prince Gaston, Count of Eu, they stay married for 57 years, until her death in 1921. That was a true love match, which was something rare of Royal marriages during the 19th century.

On the other hand, their poor daughter-in-law, Princess Maria Pia, became a widow at the age of 42, and stay a widow until her death, at the age of 95.

I'd forgotten about The late Count & Countess,they were married on the 8 April 1931 at Palermo Cathedral in Sicily.HRH The Count died on the 19th of June 1999,aged 90. HRH The Countess died on the 5th of July 2003 aged 91.

Weren't they actually living apart for the last 20 or something years of his life? He was living with a woman named Monique-something, who attended him at his death?

Exactly! They were separated. The late Countess of Paris, who was a real lady, had a very miserable life with him.
And this Monique was supposed to steal a very huge part of the Count's enormeous fortune, plus jewelery and art item, which disappeared.

Last edited:
I think the Emperor Showa(Hirohito) of Japan died days before his 65th wedding anniversary.

And his brother Prince Mikasa and his wife married in 1941 and as they both are still alive they are married since 72 years which is the Rekord as far as i know.

Exactly! They were separated. The late Countess of Paris, who was a real lady, had a very miserable life with him.
And this Monique was supposed to steal a very huge part of the Count's enormeous fortune, plus jewelery and art item, which disappeared.

Yes, thank you fandesacs2003 I thought so. The Count and Countess of Paris remained married only in the most technical sense, in reality the marriage seems to have ended some time in the '60's.:sad:

What I consider as a long royal marriage is one where both spouses never cheated even once and remained in love with each other 'til death (and to the next life).

With this in mind, in addition to the ones mentioned which passed this criteria, I will add the father and son, the last two tsars of Russia:
Tsar Alexander III and Tsarina Maria Feodorovna (Dagmar of Denmark) - 28 years
Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna of Russia - 24 years (and they died together we know~ which is kind of sweet although brutal and sad for them)

And...
King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of the Belgians - 33 years

King Oscar II and Queen Sofia were married for 50 years
King Gustaf V and Queen Victoria were married for 49 years
King Chareles XIV and III John and Queen Desiree were married for 46 years
The marriage between Oscar II and Sofia was marred by his infidelities, and she spent time abroad.
Victoria spent much of her life abroad due to her poor health, she couldn't bide the cold Swedish winters, and both had probably affairs during the marriage.
Désirée lived in Paris between 1811 and 1823, apart from her husband.

And his brother Prince Mikasa and his wife married in 1941 and as they both are still alive they are married since 72 years which is the Rekord as far as i know.

In the meantime two years have passed, and they are still married after nearly 74 years (the next 22 October); Prince Mikasa will turn 100 in December and Princess Mikasa has recently turned 92.

Another very long royal marriage, still lasting, is the one between King Michael and Queen Anne of Romania, who celebrated one week ago their 67th wedding anniversary.

King Michael and Queen Anne of Romania they are married 67(wow) years. King Michael spend so much to his life and not easy but he have this wonderful partner to his life to support to him. A very long marriage example.

1) QEII and Prince Philip - NOV 1947 - 68+ years
2) Infante Juan of Spain and Princess Maria de las Mercedes de Borbon dos Sicilios - OCT 1935-APR
1993 - 57 1/2 years
3) King Albert II and Queen Paola - JUL 1959 - 56+ years
4) The Duke and Duchess of Kent - JUN 1961 - 54+ years
5) King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia - MAY 1962 - 53+ years

In the meantime two years have passed, and they are still married after nearly 74 years (the next 22 October); Prince Mikasa will turn 100 in December and Princess Mikasa has recently turned 92.

Another very long royal marriage, still lasting, is the one between King Michael and Queen Anne of Romania, who celebrated one week ago their 67th wedding anniversary.

Wow, amazing :flowers:

These three haven't exactly been happy marriages, and likely wouldn't have lasted as long as they have if the couples had different views on divorce.

Albert and Paola spent many years not living together, and Albert had a rather lengthy affair with Sybille de Selys Longchamps.

The Duke and Duchess of Kent have also been reported as having lived separately for a number of years, although I believe it's been said that she returned to living with him after his 2013 stroke.

Juan Carlos has had a number of affairs and it is rumoured that he and Sofia have lived apart for years - prior to his abdication, it was believed they only saw each other at official events.

1) QEII and Prince Philip - NOV 1947 - 68+ years
2) Infante Juan of Spain and Princess Maria de las Mercedes de Borbon dos Sicilios - OCT 1935-APR
1993 - 57 1/2 years

You forgiot

Prince Henri of France, Count of Paris and Princess Isabelle of Orleáns-Braganza
married from April 1931-June 1999 so 68 years 3 months
Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands
married from January 1937 - March 2004 so 67 years 2 months

These three haven't exactly been happy marriages, and likely wouldn't have lasted as long as they have if the couples had different views on divorce.

Albert and Paola spent many years not living together, and Albert had a rather lengthy affair with Sybille de Selys Longchamps.

The Duke and Duchess of Kent have also been reported as having lived separately for a number of years, although I believe it's been said that she returned to living with him after his 2013 stroke.

Juan Carlos has had a number of affairs and it is rumoured that he and Sofia have lived apart for years - prior to his abdication, it was believed they only saw each other at official events.

True, but nonetheless, they are all still married. Topic isn't about "happy" longest royal marriages and these may be only some of the actual happenings reported in the media. Other infidelities/separations within other royal marriages could have occurred without our knowledge. Speculative...but still probable.

You forgiot

Prince Henri of France, Count of Paris and Princess Isabelle of Orleáns-Braganza
married from April 1931-June 1999 so 68 years 3 months
Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands
married from January 1937 - March 2004 so 67 years 2 months

Archduke Joseph of Austria-Hungary and Princess Augusta of Bavaria,almost 69 years.

What Royal Couples past or present have had the longest Marriage? If you can try and post ones who were (Or have been) married for at least 30 + Years if you can. Everyone has a different idea on what is considered a Long Marriage. Some say 20 at most is considered Long which I agree with.

The Top 5 Longest British Royal Marriages between a Monarch and their Spouse:
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip: 65 Years
King George III and Queen Charlotte: 57 Years
King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra: 47 Years
King George V and Queen Mary: 42 Years
King George II and Queen Caroline: 32 Years

I only started with King George I and went form there so if there was a monarch before that who was married longer then the five I listed above feel free to post.

I also only did the British Monarchy so others well have to list the Longest Marriages of other Monarchies as I don't know a lot about Norway, Denmark, Sweden, etc.

Also it doesn't only have to be between a Monarch and their Spouse. It can be any Royal couple I just did it that way.

Longer life span and lower childbirth mortality rate has helped. But there are a few earlier that would bump George II out of the top 5.

Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitane- 37 years
Henry III and Eleanor of Provence- 36 years
Edward I and Eleanor of Castile- 36 years

Others Prior to George I (longest in case of multiple marriages)
William I and Matilda- tied with George II, 32 years
James I and Anne- 30 years
James II and Mary of Modena- 28 years
Stephen and Matilda- 27 years
Henry VI and Margrat of Anjou- 26 years
Queen Anne and George: 25 years
Charles II and Catherine- 24 years
Charles I and Henrietta- 24 years
Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon- his longest marriage 24 years
Empress Matilda and Geoffrey- 23 years
Edward III and Philippa- 21 years
Edward II and Isabella- technically 19 years
Edward IV and Elizabeth- 19 years
Henry I and Mathilda- 18 years
John and Isabella- 16 years
Henry VII and Elizabeth- 17 years
Mary II and William-17 years
Henry IV and Mary de Bohun- 13 years
Richard III and Anne- 13 years
Richard II and Anne- 12 years
Richard I and Berengaria- 8 years
Mary I and Philip-4 years
Henry V and Catherine-2 years

Last edited:
King Bhumibol and Queen Sirikit of Thailand will celebrate their 66th anniversary next month. Neither are well though. He lives in a hospital and she retreated from public view after a stroke in 2012.

In Japan Empress Michiko and Emperor Akihito have been in few weeks married 57 years.

King Ludwig III and Queen Maria Theresa of Bavaria were married for almost 41 years.
Their wedding occurred on February 20, 1868.
The Queen died February 3, 1919.

Back
Top Bottom