The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2016, 03:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
These three haven't exactly been happy marriages, and likely wouldn't have lasted as long as they have if the couples had different views on divorce.

Albert and Paola spent many years not living together, and Albert had a rather lengthy affair with Sybille de Selys Longchamps.

The Duke and Duchess of Kent have also been reported as having lived separately for a number of years, although I believe it's been said that she returned to living with him after his 2013 stroke.

Juan Carlos has had a number of affairs and it is rumoured that he and Sofia have lived apart for years - prior to his abdication, it was believed they only saw each other at official events.
True, but nonetheless, they are all still married. Topic isn't about "happy" longest royal marriages and these may be only some of the actual happenings reported in the media. Other infidelities/separations within other royal marriages could have occurred without our knowledge. Speculative...but still probable.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
You forgiot

Prince Henri of France, Count of Paris and Princess Isabelle of Orleáns-Braganza
married from April 1931-June 1999 so 68 years 3 months
Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands
married from January 1937 - March 2004 so 67 years 2 months
Archduke Joseph of Austria-Hungary and Princess Augusta of Bavaria,almost 69 years.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
What Royal Couples past or present have had the longest Marriage? If you can try and post ones who were (Or have been) married for at least 30 + Years if you can. Everyone has a different idea on what is considered a Long Marriage. Some say 20 at most is considered Long which I agree with.

The Top 5 Longest British Royal Marriages between a Monarch and their Spouse:
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip: 65 Years
King George III and Queen Charlotte: 57 Years
King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra: 47 Years
King George V and Queen Mary: 42 Years
King George II and Queen Caroline: 32 Years

I only started with King George I and went form there so if there was a monarch before that who was married longer then the five I listed above feel free to post.

I also only did the British Monarchy so others well have to list the Longest Marriages of other Monarchies as I don't know a lot about Norway, Denmark, Sweden, etc.

Also it doesn't only have to be between a Monarch and their Spouse. It can be any Royal couple I just did it that way.
Longer life span and lower childbirth mortality rate has helped. But there are a few earlier that would bump George II out of the top 5.

Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitane- 37 years
Henry III and Eleanor of Provence- 36 years
Edward I and Eleanor of Castile- 36 years

Others Prior to George I (longest in case of multiple marriages)
William I and Matilda- tied with George II, 32 years
James I and Anne- 30 years
James II and Mary of Modena- 28 years
Stephen and Matilda- 27 years
Henry VI and Margrat of Anjou- 26 years
Queen Anne and George: 25 years
Charles II and Catherine- 24 years
Charles I and Henrietta- 24 years
Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon- his longest marriage 24 years
Empress Matilda and Geoffrey- 23 years
Edward III and Philippa- 21 years
Edward II and Isabella- technically 19 years
Edward IV and Elizabeth- 19 years
Henry I and Mathilda- 18 years
John and Isabella- 16 years
Henry VII and Elizabeth- 17 years
Mary II and William-17 years
Henry IV and Mary de Bohun- 13 years
Richard III and Anne- 13 years
Richard II and Anne- 12 years
Richard I and Berengaria- 8 years
Mary I and Philip-4 years
Henry V and Catherine-2 years
Old 03-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Commoner

King Bhumibol and Queen Sirikit of Thailand will celebrate their 66th anniversary next month. Neither are well though. He lives in a hospital and she retreated from public view after a stroke in 2012.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:35 AM
Commoner

In Japan Empress Michiko and Emperor Akihito have been in few weeks married 57 years.