Longest Reigns in History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
who has been on the throne the longest if you look at differnt monarchies

Sweden Bernadotte
Gustaf V 8 December 1907 – 29 October 1950 about 43 years regin
current monarch Carl XVI Gustaf 15 September 1973 – present going on 38 years regin
Oscar II Oscar II 18 September 1872 – 8 December 1907 about 35 years regin
Karl XIV Johan 5 February 1818 – 8 March 1844 26 yeras regin
Gustaf VI Adolf 29 October 1950 – 15 September 1973 about 23 years regin
Oscar I 8 March 1844 – 8 July 1859 about 15 years regin
Karl XV 8 July 1859 – 18 September 1872 about 13 years regin

Last edited:
Queen Victoria 63 years and 216 days ?

^yes it was absolutely insane, he became a monarch only with a few months of life. that way he could get the amazing 82 years and 264 days. he died at age 83, i bet if he lived a bit longer he could easily surpass both the Farao and Korean king
Queen Victoria 63 years and 216 days ?
soon to be surpassed by Queen Elizabeth II^^

Last edited:
France

Louis XV of France- 58 Years
Louis XIV of France - 72 Years

Austria Hungary

Franz Joseph I - 67 Years

Sicily

Ferdinand III - 65 Years

Spain

Jaime I of Aragon - 63 Years

Monaco

Honoré III - 59 Years

the pharaoh was pepi ii of the sixth dynasty

as for the early koreans, those regnal years are probably mythical

...Sweden Bernadotte
Gustaf V 8 December 1907 – 29 October 1950 about 43 years regin
current monarch Carl XVI Gustaf 15 September 1973 – present going on 38 years regin
Oscar II Oscar II 18 September 1872 – 8 December 1907 about 35 years regin
Karl XIV Johan 5 February 1818 – 8 March 1844 26 yeras regin
Gustaf VI Adolf 29 October 1950 – 15 September 1973 about 23 years regin
Oscar I 8 March 1844 – 8 July 1859 about 15 years regin
Karl XV 8 July 1859 – 18 September 1872 about 13 years regin

Sweden before Bernadotte
Magnus Eriksson 1319-1364 about 45 years regin
Erik of Pommerania 1396 -1439 about 43 years regin

no other with more time than our current king

Last edited:
^yes it was absolutely insane, he became a monarch only with a few months of life. that way he could get the amazing 82 years and 264 days. he died at age 83, i bet if he lived a bit longer he could easily surpass both the Farao and Korean king

soon to be surpassed by Queen Elizabeth II^^

With the genes on that family, I can see her celebrating a 70 years jubilee.

Last edited:
That's pretty awesome. I hope He makes it to 50 years then wouldn't His Majesty get a Golden Jubilee of some kind ?

It's interesting to note that Otto von Hapsburg, the last Crown Prince of Austria Hungary is almost 100 years old. His father died when he was a child and if the monarchy had lasted, Otto would still be on the throne having reigned for 89 years.

Further research shows that Simeon II of Bulgaria would still be on the throne after 68 years, if the monarchy hadn't been abolished, and Constintine II of Greece would be into his 47th year on the throne.

As for Romania, King Michael would be close to his 71st year on the throne, not including the 2 years that he reigned in place of his father. His first reign started almost 84 years ago.

As for current reigning monarchs, King Bhumibol of Thiland is the longest reigning monarch at 65 years, and Queen Elizabeth II is the second longest at 59 years.

Hi,

Had Otto ascended the Austro-Hungarian throne in 1922, when his father died, then he would have reigned for 89 years. That must have then been the longest reign in European history.

Of course, this is dependant on the Empire still being in tact in 1918-1919 and not becoming a republic.
Also, if the Empire had not fallen, then perhaps Emperor Karl would not have died in 1922....

A lot of "if's" here but fascinating to comprhend!!

Larry

Louis XIV is the longest reigning European monarch, at 72 years. He died in 1715, just days shy of his 77th birthday.

Queen Victoria ruled from 1837 - 1901, that's 64 years. She became a Queen at the young age of 18 and died at the age of 82.

Queen Hatshetsup of Ancient Egypt ruled for more than 30 years.

Queen Elisabeth II is set to have her Diamond Jublie next year and in 2015 will become the longest reigning monarch England has ever had.

Queen Elisabeth II is set to have her Diamond Jublie next year and in 2015 will become the longest reigning monarch England has ever had.

Not just England, ;) she's the second longest current reigning monarch after the King of Thailand. She's also got quite a long way to go before she gets longest reigning monarch of all time. :)

November 22nd marks the 36th anniversary of the accession of H.M.King Juan Carlos I of Spain.

Queen Margrethe celebrates 40 years on January 14th.

Elisabeth has a fair chance of making the oldest reigning monarch if she lives to be as old as her mom

Nothing would make me happier if she could live AND reign until she's 100 or more. Does any one believe she may outlive her Heir?

The whole point of a hereditary monarchy is that is passes from generation to generation, not that you get to pick and choose based on popularity at the moment. When Queen Victoria died people didnt have much hope for Edward VII but he turned out to be a tremendous success. On the other hand when Geoge V died people had high hopes for Edward VIII and we know how he turned out. I think Charles has been an excellent Prince of Wales and I see no reason why he should not be a good king.

If he does succeed his mother he won't have a long reign at most probably 20 years but if he gave it to his son he would get 40 to 50 years in and one thing that people like is to have a long reign for a monarch. Victoria's son reigned for only 10 years. I am also very happy that this year will be Elisabeth's Diamond jubilee.

Charles is probably the best trained heir in history. Why should he give up the position he has prepared for all his life in order to allow his son to take the throne and at the same time deprive his son and daughter in law the chance to build their marriage and raise their children outside of the full glare of the monarchy?
Following your logic William's own heir would then have to give up their place in the succession in order to allow their grandchild to also have a long reign.
It doesn't make sense and its not the way hereditary monarchy works.

Last edited:
Yes I hope that will happen and if she does live that long we can only hope that the crown will go straight to her grandson William and not her son Charles.

So, you're hoping for Prince Charles to die? You're hoping for the Queen to suffer the trauma and pain of outliving her son whom she loves very much? You're hoping for William and Harry to lose their last remaining parent sooner rather than later?

I somehow doubt the chap in your avatar would approve of that sentiment.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the Kings and Queens who have had a rather lengthy reign not to discuss whether or not William should succeed Elizabeth in place of Charles.

Let's get back on topic.

Zonk
Royal Chit Chat moderator

Franz Joseph of Austria (1848-1916) ruled for 68 years that is a long time. There Is a picture of him going for a hike in his 80s which I found very weird and good at the same time.

Benedict XVI said:
Franz Joseph of Austria (1848-1916) ruled for 68 years that is a long time.
Franz Joseph reigned for almost 68 years. He died 11 days before his 68th anniversary on the throne.:sad:

Also, Prince Johann II the Good of Liechtenstein(1840-1929) reigned for 70 years(1858-1929). It's the second longest reign in European history after that of King Louis XIV of France.

Last edited:
Heinrich XI of the Holy Roman Empire (1723-1800) ruled 77 years although for the first few years I believe it was a regency council.

Back
Top Bottom