The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

I think it's nice to mix things up a bit as well however, I don't think people would be happy if a crown prince (Albert of Monaco, Prince William) married a non-white girl. Of course, we won't know that for a fact unless one of them falls in love with such woman.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 04-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Most bi-racial children come out looking very attractive I don't think the people of Monaco would have a problem if Albert married a woman who isn't white. But England is a different story.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
I don't think the people of Monaco would have a problem if Albert married a woman who isn't white. But England is a different
I have to disagree. I have to say almost every royal house in Europe to the East would prefer their members to marry among their on race and nationality. While nationality is not always important race is, as a person of color, I am all to aware of the fact the "old money" or the world and royalty perfer if possible for their own to marry their own kind.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well Prince Albert hasen't really sticked to his own kind; his son is a result of that.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
Well Prince Albert hasen't really sticked to his own kind; his son is a result of that.
True. But as we all know he kept is daughter Jasmine and his son quite (or denied parentity) until the death of his father because he knew that his father would disapprove. So sometimes, as we can see in Albert's case, the wealthy and royalty adhere or at least acknowledge their actions do not always meet familial standards and if possible cover their indiscretion to not bring shame to their family and its name. Family honor,particularly, in royal circles trumps personal wants and desires.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Commoner

I think that the time is coming where love will being to blossom without boundaries for royals. Many royals nowadays are going against the grain, and their families are starting to accept that. I think Albert is a different story simply because he was trying to shirk out of his paternal responsibility. I think that interracial royal couples are a good things and I look forward to seeing more relationships begin and flourish!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilah
I have to disagree. I have to say almost every royal house in Europe to the East would prefer their members to marry among their on race and nationality. While nationality is not always important race is, as a person of color, I am all to aware of the fact the "old money" or the world and royalty perfer if possible for their own to marry their own kind.
Actually there seem to be more than a handful of interracial royal marriages. I think the problem comes when the royal in question is the ruler ot heir. If say Prince Albert married Nicole suddenly a black person is the heir to the throne and that immediately changes the face of royalty in that country. I think that's what people are afraid of. I don't think a country that is predominantly white would want a ruler of another ethnicity. It's sad, but I think that's the way it is.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Commoner

Hissa, Gräfin von Hatzfeldt

Does anyone have anymore information on Countess Hissa von Hatzfeldt. Apparently she was a quarter Japanese, German countess who married into the Austrian von Niepperg family. I believe that her maternal Japanese grandfather belonged to an ancient Japanese noble family but that's all I can find. Any pics, info on her or her descendants? I also believe her noble Japanese/German mother had several siblings, but can't find much else.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Gentry

I would be interested in the lineage of her japanese family

thank-you
Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Countess Hissa von Hatzfeldt zu Trachenberg, later Countess Erwin von Neipperg (1906-1985) was the daughter of Count Alexander von Hatzfeldt zu Trachenberg (1877-1953) and his half-Japanese born wife Countess Hanna, née Aoki (1897-1953).
Hanna's father was Viscount Aoki Shūzō (1844-1914), a Japanese diplomat and two times Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, while her mother was a German aristocrat.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Serene Highness

Wow, that was quite liberal for that time! Was she a Royal or an Aristocrat?

The only couples I know are Prince Maximillian and Princess Angela of Liechtenstein and Prince Joachim and the former Princess Alexandra of Denmark.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

She wasn't Royal, but just a mere aristocrat.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Commoner

According to Genealogics the Head of the House of Salm-Reifferscheidt-Raitz is a direct descendant of Grafin Hissa. Making him 1/16th Japanese. Its amazing, now that the stigmas of yesterday are coming down, and all, not just select, aspects of history are being revealed; we get to see just how interconnected we've always been as humans. Noble and common alike :)
Old 12-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

They are relatives, as Countess Nathalie von Neipperg (Hissa's daughter) married to Altgraf Niklas zu Salm-Reifferscheidt-Rait, who is a distant cousin of Fürst Hugo zu Salm-Reifferscheidt-Rait, but Hugo is not a direct descendant of Hissa.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkylou View Post
would anyone actually mind if prince harry/william/amedeo of belgium/carl philip/albert or princess victoria/beatrice/eugenie/catherine amalia/ingrid alexandra happen to one day marry someone of a different race? like before, keep it clean and polite.

i personally think it would be great(if they are in love), at least they would break social stereotypes and prejudices.

Hmm... I definitely think it depends on the standing of said Prince/Princess and the country of their origin. I will say with some certainty that even in the 21st century, a non-white Crown Princess/Hereditary Grand or Archduchess/Prince Consort in any European nation would simply be out of the question. I'd say a non-white marrying a "spare" so to speak would be highly unlikely but not impossible.

A non-white marrying the grandchild of a reigning or former monarch, however, could be a wonderful PR opportunity, as unromantic as that sounds. It shows inclusiveness and diversity, but also essentially keeps this diversity out of the main line. This would be especially true of a Princess. Should Princesses Beatrice or Eugenie choose to marry a non-white man, not only will it spice up the royal family a bit, but there is also an incredibly low probability of a non-white child ever sitting on the throne.

Of the ones you listed, just to give assumption (Disclaimer: These are my guesses at how acceptable it would be; I personally think anyone, regardless of color, gender, nationality, religion, or orientation should be allowed to marry whomever they choose so long as they feel truly ready and the fit feels right): No on William, Harry, Albert, Victoria, Catherine-Amalia, or Ingrid-Alexandra Probably Not on Carl Philip or Amedeo (while he is an heir, his profile is decidedly lower), Less of a Problem with Beatrice or Eugenie.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hania View Post
I think that maxima will count becos she herself was quoted as saying that her heritage was latin and most argentians are classified as non whites or mixed hertiages.
Technically no matter the color of her skin, anyone who comes from a Latin American country, or Spain for that matter, is Latino. Latino or Hispanic is not a race, it is an ethnic category, because the term Latino refers to a number of different ethnicities and skin stones. So yes Maxima is Latino.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karima View Post
Alisa.....Isn't interracial a marriage between 2 different races? Maxima and W should be intercultural. Same I think for Maria Teresa
You are correct, Latino is an ethnicity not a race. A large percentage of Latinos are caucasian. Maxima (Argentinan) and Maria Teresa (Cuban) are of a different ethnicity not race of their husbands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy View Post
The Duke of Gloucester's daughter (Lady Davina Windsor) married Gary Lewis from New Zealand. He is Maori (i.e. a member of the Polynesian people of New Zealand).
He is a quarter Maori or something like that, one of his parents is half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galuhcandrakirana View Post
...I think it is better to get emus as a nickname than wombat: the fat and lazy looking but it is quiet cute Australian native animal (in my opinion)....
Don't diss the wombat. I fell in love with them studying up for the summer I spent doing nature conservation in Australia. Have steel like bums, they crawl into holes when being attacked, and if an animal tries to bite their bumb, they can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
...I think Prince Ranier of Monaco´s mother was Algerian?
His mother was born in Algeria yes, but she was hereditary princess of Monaco, after being adopted as heir. She never became ruling princess as she gave her rights to her son before the death of her father. She was the illegitamit daughter of Monaco's Louis II by a cabaret singer, a french woman from the Normandy region of France. Louis was married, a French actress, but had no children by her.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Commoner

Although the question implies that we're talking about interracial marriages among white royals, but Prince Bandar Bin Sultan, former Saudi ambassador to the US (famous for his close relations with the Bush family) is half black. He faced some challenges from other royals because of that for a while but hes now very recognized and respected within the family. He is now Saudi Arabias Secretary-General of the National Security Council.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideology
Although the question implies that we're talking about interracial marriages among white royals, but Prince Bandar Bin Sultan, former Saudi ambassador to the US (famous for his close relations with the Bush family) is half black. He faced some challenges from other royals because of that for a while but hes now very recognized and respected within the family. He is now Saudi Arabias Secretary-General of the National Security Council.
Prince Khalid bin Bandar bin Sultan married Lucy Cuthbert, an Englishwoman with links to the aristocracy just this week. I think this is his son. There's a small thread in the Royal weddings forum.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Prince Khalid bin Bandar bin Sultan married Lucy Cuthbert, an Englishwoman with links to the aristocracy just this week. I think this is his son. There's a small thread in the Royal weddings forum.
Yes, he is the son of Bandar Bin Sultan.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Serene Highness

If an heir to a European throne fell in love with someone who was Asian or who was African-American or who was bi-racial or multi racial and wanted to marry that person, I personally would have no problem with that. If would be interesting if such a situation did arise in the future, what the reaction would be from the parents, the citizens of that country and the parliment or the PM. Some would probably be opposed to it, others wouldn't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that any European heir to the throne has been engaged to someone who was of a different racial background. I know that other royals have had interracial marriages, but they are not heir to thrones.