Interracial Royal Couples

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that was quite liberal for that time! Was she a Royal or an Aristocrat?

The only couples I know are Prince Maximillian and Princess Angela of Liechtenstein and Prince Joachim and the former Princess Alexandra of Denmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
She wasn't Royal, but just a mere aristocrat.

According to Genealogics the Head of the House of Salm-Reifferscheidt-Raitz is a direct descendant of Grafin Hissa. Making him 1/16th Japanese. Its amazing, now that the stigmas of yesterday are coming down, and all, not just select, aspects of history are being revealed; we get to see just how interconnected we've always been as humans. Noble and common alike :)

They are relatives, as Countess Nathalie von Neipperg (Hissa's daughter) married to Altgraf Niklas zu Salm-Reifferscheidt-Rait, who is a distant cousin of Fürst Hugo zu Salm-Reifferscheidt-Rait, but Hugo is not a direct descendant of Hissa.

would anyone actually mind if prince harry/william/amedeo of belgium/carl philip/albert or princess victoria/beatrice/eugenie/catherine amalia/ingrid alexandra happen to one day marry someone of a different race? like before, keep it clean and polite.

i personally think it would be great(if they are in love), at least they would break social stereotypes and prejudices.

Hmm... I definitely think it depends on the standing of said Prince/Princess and the country of their origin. I will say with some certainty that even in the 21st century, a non-white Crown Princess/Hereditary Grand or Archduchess/Prince Consort in any European nation would simply be out of the question. I'd say a non-white marrying a "spare" so to speak would be highly unlikely but not impossible.

A non-white marrying the grandchild of a reigning or former monarch, however, could be a wonderful PR opportunity, as unromantic as that sounds. It shows inclusiveness and diversity, but also essentially keeps this diversity out of the main line. This would be especially true of a Princess. Should Princesses Beatrice or Eugenie choose to marry a non-white man, not only will it spice up the royal family a bit, but there is also an incredibly low probability of a non-white child ever sitting on the throne.

Of the ones you listed, just to give assumption (Disclaimer: These are my guesses at how acceptable it would be; I personally think anyone, regardless of color, gender, nationality, religion, or orientation should be allowed to marry whomever they choose so long as they feel truly ready and the fit feels right): No on William, Harry, Albert, Victoria, Catherine-Amalia, or Ingrid-Alexandra Probably Not on Carl Philip or Amedeo (while he is an heir, his profile is decidedly lower), Less of a Problem with Beatrice or Eugenie.

I think that maxima will count becos she herself was quoted as saying that her heritage was latin and most argentians are classified as non whites or mixed hertiages.
Technically no matter the color of her skin, anyone who comes from a Latin American country, or Spain for that matter, is Latino. Latino or Hispanic is not a race, it is an ethnic category, because the term Latino refers to a number of different ethnicities and skin stones. So yes Maxima is Latino.
Alisa.....Isn't interracial a marriage between 2 different races? Maxima and W should be intercultural. Same I think for Maria Teresa
You are correct, Latino is an ethnicity not a race. A large percentage of Latinos are caucasian. Maxima (Argentinan) and Maria Teresa (Cuban) are of a different ethnicity not race of their husbands.
The Duke of Gloucester's daughter (Lady Davina Windsor) married Gary Lewis from New Zealand. He is Maori (i.e. a member of the Polynesian people of New Zealand).
He is a quarter Maori or something like that, one of his parents is half.
...I think it is better to get emus as a nickname than wombat: the fat and lazy looking but it is quiet cute Australian native animal (in my opinion)....:rolleyes:
Don't diss the wombat. I fell in love with them studying up for the summer I spent doing nature conservation in Australia. Have steel like bums, they crawl into holes when being attacked, and if an animal tries to bite their bumb, they can't.
...I think Prince Ranier of Monaco´s mother was Algerian?
His mother was born in Algeria yes, but she was hereditary princess of Monaco, after being adopted as heir. She never became ruling princess as she gave her rights to her son before the death of her father. She was the illegitamit daughter of Monaco's Louis II by a cabaret singer, a french woman from the Normandy region of France. Louis was married, a French actress, but had no children by her.

Although the question implies that we're talking about interracial marriages among white royals, but Prince Bandar Bin Sultan, former Saudi ambassador to the US (famous for his close relations with the Bush family) is half black. He faced some challenges from other royals because of that for a while but hes now very recognized and respected within the family. He is now Saudi Arabias Secretary-General of the National Security Council.

Ideology said:
Although the question implies that we're talking about interracial marriages among white royals, but Prince Bandar Bin Sultan, former Saudi ambassador to the US (famous for his close relations with the Bush family) is half black. He faced some challenges from other royals because of that for a while but hes now very recognized and respected within the family. He is now Saudi Arabias Secretary-General of the National Security Council.

Prince Khalid bin Bandar bin Sultan married Lucy Cuthbert, an Englishwoman with links to the aristocracy just this week. I think this is his son. There's a small thread in the Royal weddings forum.

Prince Khalid bin Bandar bin Sultan married Lucy Cuthbert, an Englishwoman with links to the aristocracy just this week. I think this is his son. There's a small thread in the Royal weddings forum.

Yes, he is the son of Bandar Bin Sultan.

If an heir to a European throne fell in love with someone who was Asian or who was African-American or who was bi-racial or multi racial and wanted to marry that person, I personally would have no problem with that. If would be interesting if such a situation did arise in the future, what the reaction would be from the parents, the citizens of that country and the parliment or the PM. Some would probably be opposed to it, others wouldn't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that any European heir to the throne has been engaged to someone who was of a different racial background. I know that other royals have had interracial marriages, but they are not heir to thrones.

nascarlucy said:
If an heir to a European throne fell in love with someone who was Asian or who was African-American or who was bi-racial or multi racial and wanted to marry that person, I personally would have no problem with that. If would be interesting if such a situation did arise in the future, what the reaction would be from the parents, the citizens of that country and the parliment or the PM. Some would probably be opposed to it, others wouldn't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that any European heir to the throne has been engaged to someone who was of a different racial background. I know that other royals have had interracial marriages, but they are not heir to thrones.
I don't think any European heir to the throne has married interracially.

King Hussein of Jordan married two Caucasian women (Queen Noor and Princess Muna) and his son, the current King Abdullah, is half-English. However, that may be less of an issue in the Middle East?

I think that the time is coming where love will being to blossom without boundaries for royals. Many royals nowadays are going against the grain, and their families are starting to accept that. I think Albert is a different story simply because he was trying to shirk out of his paternal responsibility. I think that interracial royal couples are a good things and I look forward to seeing more relationships begin and flourish! :flowers:

I think time will change that. There are becoming more and more inter-racial couples. From what I understand over in the UK the mixed raced community is the fastest growing, minority group. I think there will eventually be royals (even in line for the throne) who (will end up) married to a spouse who is of a different race then them.

Times are changing there was a time when royal would never marry someone who was a commoner, it would not have been allowed. It would either be a fellow royal from another family (even their own family, a distant cousin perhaps) or someone that was of nobility. Yet now we are seeing quite a few marry "commoners". There was one royal cant recall his name, but he married a woman who had a child already and I think don't know for 100% that she was a waitress or a store clerk before she married him. 50 years ago if someone had asked if the USA would ever see a non-white president, most would have said, no that will never happen.

Its not race related but look at William and Kate already living together before they are married. In olden days that would not have been taken well at all. Yet now its become pretty expected (or at least tolerated) for people to co-habited prior to marriage, even Royals.

Times are changing maybe slowly but they are.;)

Last edited:
Race and ethnicity

Technically no matter the color of her skin, anyone who comes from a Latin American country, or Spain for that matter, is Latino. Latino or Hispanic is not a race, it is an ethnic category, because the term Latino refers to a number of different ethnicities and skin tones.

Scientist as a group (especially since WWII) have pretty much proclaimed that race is an illusion. Every attempt to scientifically categorize human beings into sub-species that constitute race have failed.

So to call one marriage inter-racial, and another inter-ethnic has no real scientific basis. However, given the last 7 centuries the idea is ingrained into most people. The census bureau of the US more or less lets people make their own self classification as to race and ethnicity. Yes, they do not regard Latino as a race. Latino's can belong to several different races.

Most Argentinans are white, actually Argentina has the higher percentage of whites (not mixtures) in latin America, its highly probably that Maxima is of Spaniard ancestry at a 100% so she's of an European background. That doesnt make her marriage an interracial one.

Maxima's father's family seems to be of Basque origin, but supposedly claims indigenous ancestry as well (although the claim is indigenous royal ancestry, so it seems far-fetched). Still, that ancestry would be as far back as Queen Silvia of Sweden's or Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg's.

As for Asians, I agree with whoever earlier mentioned interest in an Asian/European royal-on-royal marriage. I'd love to see the two thousand year pedigree of Japan marry into one of the ruling families of Europe and bridge the East/West divide in monarchies. And it's an obvious one, but I feel compelled to mention the former Princess Alexandra of Denmark (now Countess of Fredricksborg), who is of mixed Chinese and European ancestry.

I wish there was more media attention for Princess Angela of Liechtenstein (born Angela Brown), whose son is the highest-ranking (in terms of succession) person of significant African ancestry in Europe. I love the pictures of the young Prince Alfons von und zu Liechtenstein in the Liechtenstein national dress. It's the perfect illustration of modern multiracial identity.

Also, Noor of Jordan's marriage wasn't completely well-received, even within the family. She was famously referred to as Hussein's "CIA wife" by some of his children early on in the marriage, demonstrating a distrust of her American origin. Anyway, Noor (born Lisa Najeeb Halaby) was an ethnic Arab of Syrian, English, and Swedish American descent. (She is an Arab because her patrilineal ancestry is Arab).

However, recent events in Jordan have seen the BELOVED (seriously--ever met a Jordanian who doesn't gush about how beautiful Rania is?) Queen Rania publicly protested against by ultra-conservative tribal groups for her Palestinian origins. It's actually the first I've ever really seen a split in the Palestinian/Jordanian bond discussed so openly.

One of the Princes of Saudi Arabia just married interracially (if European and Arab are actually different "races," but we'll say that for the purpose of discussion) to one of the nieces of the Duke of Northumberland (actually I think she is the current duke's cousin).

A person's race does matter - it is very obvious if this entire thread is read. Whether for positive reasons or negative reasons, it seems to transcend with all people. Before we know anything about a person, we always assume, correctly or incorrectly, at first glance a person's race. Also, if race really did not matter, this conversation would not have begun a few years back and extended to now.
Another interracial marriage that seems to have been forgotten is the marriage between Napoleon and Josephine. Napoleon was Caucasian and I do believe Empress Josephine was 'creole.'

Another interracial marriage that seems to have been forgotten is the marriage between Napoleon and Josephine. Napoleon was Caucasian and I do believe Empress Josephine was 'creole.'
No, the marriage between Napoleon and Joséphine was not an interracial marriage. It's true that Joséphine was a Creole, but she was a white Creole, not of mixed race. As Wikipedia mentions: In many parts of the Southern Caribbean the term "Creolean" is used to refer to a French-speaking person of white ethnicity and born in the Caribbean.

yes people dont realise that there are two meanings to the word croele...one being a person being of european descent born in the carribean and the other meaning of mixed heritage...more like a sub culture.

the former Queen of Sikkum was Hope Cooke, whom I met at the Asia Society and later at the New York Public Library. She is a wonderful woman!

For some reason I think it's more acceptable for the heir of any throne to marry a women who is lighter then him ( so for example a middle eastern crown prince to marry a white or fairer woman) or in Europe it would probably be also okay if the woman in question had a bit of Asian blood ( not completely Asian of course and not everywhere ) then them marrying a women who is much darker then them. For example instead of king Hussein marrying queen Noor or princess Muna he had married a black women or prince William instead of marrying kate marrying an Indian girl. There would would have been some big problems. I'm of course against racism but to me it seems to me if they are lighter or a bit oriental they are more likely to be accepted, which is really horrible in my opinion.

A spare heir could perhaps in some countries pull it of but the main heir not perhaps. That's why I find the union of prince Hassan and princess Sarvath so delightful. She's darker then him and in those times it would have been more frowned upon by the people then now.

"Prince Gaga"

HSH Prince Carl Alexander of Hohenzollern (b 1970) married in Las Vegas as his third wife Corinna Nehemie (born in the Congo 1991) on 22 February 2012.

Carl Alexander Prinz von Hohenzollern heiratet Kongo-Corinna - Royals - Bild.de

The article from the Bild.de link isn't promising - the headline is "Such Nice Tits"
...and look who's behind it all...

edited translation:

Typical "Prince Gaga". He had forgotten to bring the wedding rings...
About his new wife, Prince Carl Alexander said: "Corinna is so loving...she has such nice tits."

And what does Corinna love about Alex?
"His name is the most beautiful thing he has."

"The wedding is the first time a coloured [sic] member has joined the German aristocracy."

The witness to the wedding and its arranger was none other than...Frederic Prinz von Anhalt (aka Robert Lichtenberg, husband of Zsa Zsa Gabor).
He is quoted as saying "Alexander needs a girl who takes him as he is. And Mindy's greatest wish was to be a real princess. [So] I've merged the two. "

Sonya, Alex's 2011 bride-to-be-who-never-was, is described by Bild.de as a "coloured thong model".

:ohmy: or :lol:

v The Wedding Party, looking cozy
HSH Prince Carl Alexander von Hohenzollern, Corinna, Frederic von Anhalt
The thumbnail image is a cropped portion of a larger photograph.

Attachments

• Carl Alexander Wedding.jpg
    Carl Alexander Wedding.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 17,321
Last edited:
HH Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala (Indian province) married Anita Delgado from Spain . They married in 1908. She took the name Prem Kaur after the wedding.

HSH Prince Carl Alexander of Hohenzollern (b 1970) married in Las Vegas as his third wife Corinna Nehemie (born in the Congo 1991) on 22 February 2012.

Wow... I'm in no way involved in all this and I'm embarrassed by it. :ohmy:

^^^^^
Its Ok, they have since split up. The marriage was shorter than a Kardashians.

In the US, Willem-Alexander and Maxima would be considered an interracial couple. "Latino/Hispanic" is considered a "race" on most legal forms, applications, etc. :eek::eek:;)

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race. Unless you are speaking of people who have native blood, which Maxima does not. Maxima's family is Portugese/Spanish/Italian in origin before Argentina. Racially she is most certainly Caucasian, not native latin American.

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race. Unless you are speaking of people who have native blood, which Maxima does not. Maxima's family is Portugese/Spanish/Italian in origin before Argentina. Racially she is most certainly Caucasian, not native latin American.

Maxima says she is Latina and also has Inca ancestry in addition to the ones you mentioned.The Incas are native to Central and South America. According to those who have traced her ancestry, she is of Native American royal descent.

As for the "ethnicity not a race"...well, that is what I thought, but after filling out mounds of papers for my recent graduation, and for most of the applications I have filled out online, "Latino/Hispanic" is now a race - go figure!

Just FYI - Latino/Hispanic has nothing to do with having "native blood," as you put it. It is used to denote those who are specifically "latin" descent, such as Spanish descent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom