Interracial Royal Couples

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toledo said:
Nicole's story did not have exploding headlines asking Albert to marry her but if the little boy they had could ever take over a caucasian country. Compare that to the sugar coated romanticism presented this week toward the previous child:
It might be a bit more simple than "race". US news agencies (and the US general public) are going to take more interest in a part-American teenage girl than a part-Togolese three year old boy. Sugar-coated romanticism will win hands down every time, but that's nothing new.

Maybe Spike Lee or the Wayans Brothers will do their movie version of Nicole and Albert's story before the (I predict) Rotolo movie of the week comes out.

Lil princess lost said:
I reckon that Nicole Coste was just a one-nighter. I do however believe that Albert is in love with some1 he can't have. My theory is that he plays the field because his heart already belongs to some1 else. Who this woman is, I am not quite sure. Some people may scoff @ my theory but I have an instinct about thses things and am usually on the money ( meaning I'm usually right).;)

I think everyone has those same instincts, including me.;)

But I don't know of many one-night stands that last for 5 years. Nor do they typically involve public outings in France, private meetings in Monaco--or a $2 million villa after the child is born.

They had something more going on. I won't go so far as to say it was love, but it was a good bit more than a one-nighter.

But factually, Tamara Rotolo was a vacation relationship!

would anyone actually mind if prince harry/william/amedeo of belgium/carl philip/albert or princess victoria/beatrice/eugenie/catherine amalia/ingrid alexandra happen to one day marry someone of a different race? like before, keep it clean and polite.

i personally think it would be great(if they are in love), at least they would break social stereotypes and prejudices.

pinkylou said:
at least they would break social stereotypes and prejudices.

Well maybe a little bit, but I suppose even that is debatable since many of the people you listed are titled celebrities rather than self-made notables (i.e. Nobel laureates, entrepreneurs, police officers, etc.) who undeniably command more respect among the vast majority of citizens.

I am interracial, I find that people (here in the USA) consider anyone that is not 100 % Caucasian as interracial. People often made the mistake of confusing my fathers race. This made hmi very upset. Considers himself a black man. In the USA if you have 1% African blood you are black!

When people meet my mother it freaks them out she is several shades darker so are my brothers and sister, we all have the same parents.

I recently attempted to explain the entire thing to my 9 yr old (she is my mother color) From what we can gather we have six different races that make up my family alone. I explained to her never was big deal to me. My mother and father (whole family) love each other and do not make a big deal out of race.

But growing up a (black girl) in the south every one else made it a big deal.

I never thought about the difference in the color beteen my mother and I until the kids at school pointed it out.

I accept it all but I do not let other define me by race alone.
My heart is too big for that.

I also grew up in the south and am white but growing up my best friends were black, white and hispanic and I never noticed their color...they were just my friends and I liked them. I was raised to choose friends on basis of common interest and personality and that color was not a factor......to bad so many people still see color when they look at people....sorry I got on my soapbox for a moment:)

I think Princess Angela of Liechtenstien is very lovely and Prince Maximilien is a very lucky man. I was unaware that any members of the Hapsburg family had married members of a different race but I think that is excellent and hopefully the family has accepted the marriages.

hania said:
I think that maxima will count becos she herself was quoted as saying that her heritage was latin and most argentians are classified as non whites or mixed hertiages.

I thought most Argentinians are of European orgin, a lot of them are descendants of Italians, Germans, French etc.

giaga said:
I thought most Argentinians are of European orgin, a lot of them are descendants of Italians, Germans, French etc.
The south American countries are made up of partly from native indians and Spanish/portugese

Having a interracial family is hard for anyone, I have a white dad and Indian mother and ppl always tell me how lucky Im to have best of both worlds but it is difficult growing and not "belonging". it can be very painful!

At the end of the day we are all the same inside and that's all that matters.
As we say in Scotland "we're all Jock Tamson's Bairns."

Originally Posted by giaga

auntie said:
The south American countries are made up of partly from native indians and Spanish/portugese

Auntie, that`s not totaly true in the argentinian case. Most of the Argentinians are descendants of Italian and Spanish immigrants (at least 88% of Argentina's total population), but also german, french, scandinavian, british, etc.
I am argentinian and descendant of Spanish, Italian, Irish, Swiss, Lebanese and Portuguese.

auntie said:
The South American countries are made up of partly from native indians and Spanish/portugese
Actually, Argentina and Uruguay had more Italian immigrants than Spanish. Brazil had more Portuguese immigrants and African slaves, Paraguay a mixture of Italian and Spanish (and German), and Chile the same. The NORthen South American countries (with the exception of Guyana, Suriname and french Guyana) have more Spanish immigrants.

Ms Griffin said:
She is a born cuban. So yes they qualify I'd say. Plus: Josephine- Charlotte liked to call her daughter- in- law La Negrita. :eek: Not very charming!

You could say what ever you want. I, just aw well, could say that I'm the future King of Belgium. Unfortunatelly, it's not the case. Try and catch up on your reading.

Apparantly Josephine Charlotte called Marie-Therese, "The little Cuban" but I think with JC it was any excuse to have a dig at MT who she obviously wasnt happy with.

Joe was difficult to all her children-in-law, also to the Archduke and Prince Nicolaus, not only to MT.

I suppose we need to qualify what constitutes an interracial marriage. In South America one is not guaranteed to have any Native or African ancestry, especially in the affluent families who are wealthy enough to marry royalty. This is partly due to the caste system in the Spanish colonies. Also, in countries like Argentina, there was a TINY native population, so the VAST majority of the gene pool is European--particularly Italian as a result of the golondrinas immigrants.

The same is true for the Native Americans in North America. Prestigious colonial families in New England and elsewhere did not intermarry with natives often, as it would have been seen as a negative mark on the family. Prestigious Virginian families almost NEVER married outside their own ranks, and cases like John Rolfe are the rare exception.

In particular areas at particular times, natives and Europeans married freely. For example, the Scottish Jacobite exiles living in the rural South (modern Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee) sometimes went west into the Cherokee and Creek nations, married and were assimilated into the culture. My father (who is an American) comes from one of these families, which are considered wholly Native American, and they still, despite their mixted ethnicity, only intermarry with other Scots-Cherokee families...mainstream European-American families rarely intermarried with Native American ones before the early twentieth century, and almost never outside of certain regions like Oklahoma and upstate New York.

As for the Greeks and Turks, that is indeed a funny issue. My mother is part Turkish...but when I look at the ethnic characteristics of modern Turks and compare them to the other modern Turkic tribes from Mongolia to Uzbekistan, I hardly believe that the Seljuks and Osmans never intermarried with Greeks. I can't imagine that the Ottomans kicked every last Byzantine out of Anatolia...and one can't help whom they fall in love with. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that interracial royal marriages are quite beneficial. The ruling houses of Europe are long overdue for some fresh blood, and seeking to broaden the gene pool can only help. It also reflects how Europe (and the rest of the world) is becoming more globalised, and ethnicity is no longer the determining factor in citizenship.

Personally, I don't know all the details of Maxima's genealogy, but I wouldn't consider that an interracial marriage...international, yes...

How about a historical example: Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz...or the Portuguese/Brazilian RF? There are numerous accounts that point to African heritage stemming from the Portuguese royal and ducal houses...so are they not white?

What I'd personally like to see is an international, royal-on-royal, interracial marriage. Ex: Princess Aiko of Japan to Prince Christian of Denmark, or something of that kind...which would unite what are arguably the two oldest royal families in the world...

Princess Badi'ah of Jordan is and Khaled Blair, a British citizen.

Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei and Azrinaz mazhar Hakim (now Princess Azrinaz), a Malaysian citizen.

love36 said:
...When people meet my mother it freaks them out she is several shades darker so are my brothers and sister, we all have the same parents....But growing up a (black girl) in the south every one else made it a big deal.
I'm not biracal but I know where exactly you're coming from. Both of my parents are black and they are very dark, but I have fair skin, so when people see my mother they get confused when I tell them I'm not biracial b/c they assume that my father is white. (I was at a gas station with a white lady who was a family friend and one of my friends from school who saw us together thought she was my mother and I told him she wasn't and he was shocked when he saw who my real mother was)

I never noticed the difference in complextion b/w my mother and myself until it was pointed out to me when I was 13 living in Virginia. But then when people saw me in a picture with my three half sisters and half brother from my father's side it confused them even more b/c they are all darker than I am and I really stood out in the picture. When I lived in the south I got harrassed all the time by dark-skinned girls b/c of my light complextion. And I have some family members who could pass for white when I was first introduced to them I was told they are you cousins and I never questioned the difference in complexion. (in fact I didn't even notice)

I think it's nice to mix things up a bit as well however, I don't think people would be happy if a crown prince (Albert of Monaco, Prince William) married a non-white girl. Of course, we won't know that for a fact unless one of them falls in love with such woman. :flowers:

Most bi-racial children come out looking very attractive I don't think the people of Monaco would have a problem if Albert married a woman who isn't white. But England is a different story.

sirhon11234 said:
I don't think the people of Monaco would have a problem if Albert married a woman who isn't white. But England is a different

I have to disagree. I have to say almost every royal house in Europe to the East would prefer their members to marry among their on race and nationality. While nationality is not always important race is, as a person of color, I am all to aware of the fact the "old money" or the world and royalty perfer if possible for their own to marry their own kind.

Well Prince Albert hasen't really sticked to his own kind; his son is a result of that.

sirhon11234 said:
Well Prince Albert hasen't really sticked to his own kind; his son is a result of that.
True. But as we all know he kept is daughter Jasmine and his son quite (or denied parentity) until the death of his father because he knew that his father would disapprove. So sometimes, as we can see in Albert's case, the wealthy and royalty adhere or at least acknowledge their actions do not always meet familial standards and if possible cover their indiscretion to not bring shame to their family and its name. Family honor,particularly, in royal circles trumps personal wants and desires.

I think that the time is coming where love will being to blossom without boundaries for royals. Many royals nowadays are going against the grain, and their families are starting to accept that. I think Albert is a different story simply because he was trying to shirk out of his paternal responsibility. I think that interracial royal couples are a good things and I look forward to seeing more relationships begin and flourish! :flowers:

Akilah said:
I have to disagree. I have to say almost every royal house in Europe to the East would prefer their members to marry among their on race and nationality. While nationality is not always important race is, as a person of color, I am all to aware of the fact the "old money" or the world and royalty perfer if possible for their own to marry their own kind.

Actually there seem to be more than a handful of interracial royal marriages. I think the problem comes when the royal in question is the ruler ot heir. If say Prince Albert married Nicole suddenly a black person is the heir to the throne and that immediately changes the face of royalty in that country. I think that's what people are afraid of. I don't think a country that is predominantly white would want a ruler of another ethnicity. It's sad, but I think that's the way it is. :ermm:

Hissa, Gräfin von Hatzfeldt

Does anyone have anymore information on Countess Hissa von Hatzfeldt. Apparently she was a quarter Japanese, German countess who married into the Austrian von Niepperg family. I believe that her maternal Japanese grandfather belonged to an ancient Japanese noble family but that's all I can find. Any pics, info on her or her descendants? I also believe her noble Japanese/German mother had several siblings, but can't find much else.

I would be interested in the lineage of her japanese family

thank-you

Countess Hissa von Hatzfeldt zu Trachenberg, later Countess Erwin von Neipperg (1906-1985) was the daughter of Count Alexander von Hatzfeldt zu Trachenberg (1877-1953) and his half-Japanese born wife Countess Hanna, née Aoki (1897-1953).
Hanna's father was Viscount Aoki Shūzō (1844-1914), a Japanese diplomat and two times Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, while her mother was a German aristocrat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom