Historical Princesses and Their Training

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shikha Pal

Courtier
City
Hyderabad
Country
India
I've heard stories about warrior like Princesses. It's interesting to know what kind of training Princesses all around the world underwent in the past.

I mean, I've heard about Indian Maharanis and Princesses undergoing training in warfare, martial arts, etc. But haven't heard much about Royalty/nobility outside the Indian Subcontinent and China regarding the training they received previously.

What kind of training are you asking? Military training or political? Do you mean education?

I don't think princesses in the West did receive training in the arts of war in the way you mean, Shikha. I've never read of it.

Of course Queens like Catherine the Great of Russia received generals and listened to their reports and plans etc but in general women were kept away from the battlefield. There is the occasional story of medieval princesses being caught up in wars and rebellions and the Empress Matilda once escaped down a castle wall where she was kept prisoner in winter, wearing a white cloak as camoflauge.

However, medieval warfare would have been difficult for women of status to take part in, in spite of women like Joan of Arc, (full armour was immensely heavy) and medieval Kings were even sometimes kept away from the thick of battle.

What kind of training are you asking? Military training or political? Do you mean education?
Countessmeout I was talking about their training in various fields like sports, martial arts, warfare, horseback riding, arts (like painting, dancing, etc.), their political and formal education ?
I don't think princesses in the West did receive training in the arts of war in the way you mean, Shikha. I've never read of it.

Of course Queens like Catherine the Great of Russia received generals and listened to their reports and plans etc but in general women were kept away from the battlefield. There is the occasional story of medieval princesses being caught up in wars and rebellions and the Empress Matilda once escaped down a castle wall where she was kept prisoner in winter, wearing a white cloak as camoflauge.

However, medieval warfare would have been difficult for women of status to take part in, in spite of women like Joan of Arc, (full armour was immensely heavy) and medieval Kings were even sometimes kept away from the thick of battle.
As far as I remember, I've read about a few warrior like Queens, Empresses, Princesses, Nobility and Aristocracy in the past (even from Europe, like Elizabeth I and Joan of Arc, Baudica of the Celts, and Catherine of Russia) having being trained in various fields.

Last edited:
Not soldiers, but there were certainly those who acted as military advisors and such.

Isabella of Spain was certainly known to go to the war front with her husband. In the early years of marriage she helped quell a rebellion when she went to negotiate terms herself, riding out alone. Against the wishes of her make advisors. Ferdiband was away at the time.

Saint Elizabeth of Portugal was a queen of Portugal, and was known as the peace keeper. She helped negotiate several peace treaties including between her son and his son in law.

Along with domestics like sewing and pickling and such, many would learn languages, history, religion, and other subjects. But definitely not combat.

Countessmeout I was talking about their training in various fields like sports, martial arts, warfare, horseback riding, arts (like painting, dancing, etc.), their political and formal education ?

According to my knowledge, I've read about a few warrior like Queens, Empresses, Princesses, Nobility and Aristocracy in the past (even from Europe, like Elizabeth I and Joan of Arc, Baudica of the Celts, and Catherine of Russia) having being trained in various fields.

Joan of arc was not royalty or aristocracy. Baudica was more tribal then the modern concept of royalty.

Neither Elizabeth of Catherine would have recieved military training growing up. That was not a woman's place. They would have learned languages, history, maybe a bit of law (Spanish did). It was when they became queen or empress they began to learn military information from their generals.

Pretty standard for any woman of higher breeding in the time would be music, history, religion, likely an instrument. Most would know how to ride at least side saddle as hunting was a huge past time, especially women at court. They would also learn domestic skills needed in any house like embroidery, candle making, herbs and such.

Reading and writing in a few languages was also likely in larger courts.

As far as I know, Elizabeth I knew Spanish. And many Indian Maharanis, Princesses, Empresses (consorts and rulers and Princesses in their own rights), Sultanas, consorts to the Mughal emperors and Nawabs/Nizams were trained in various skills such as warfare, shooting, sword fighting and served in the front line ?

But it's quite interesting to know about rulers, consorts and Princesses outside of The Indian subcontinent and China ?

Last edited:
And many Indian Maharanis, Princesses, Empresses (consorts and rulers and Princesses in their own rights), Sultanas, consorts to the Mughal emperors and Nawabs/Nizams were trained in various skills such as warfare, shooting, sword fighting and served in the front line ��

Thank you for the information. I would be interested in knowing more about princesses of the Indian subcontinent. :flowers:

Last edited:
:previous: your welcome Tatiana Maria.

About the training they underwent, I may have mentioned some of them before, as training in those fields were considered essential. But some fields of the training they underwent, differed from region to region (every region, known as state in India, has a different culture, cuisine, history, arts, etc.) and religion to religion. Like for example, cloth painting flourished during the Mughal Empire and it is more popular where they ruled; the Mughals were very fond of gardens as well, all the forts built by them have very large gardens with various species of Flora and fauna.

Some of the Maharanis were trained in Ayurveda (ancient Indian medical science, it's mostly herbal)

The Vijayanagar empire (1336 - 1646 AD) was an empire in Ancient India which ruled most of South India. The members of It's ruling family were very interested in Literature of various languages like Telugu, Kannada, Tamil and many more as many of them wrote many literary pieces of art. Krishnadavaraya is considered to be the greatest emperor of Vijayanagar empire, who contributed a lot to administration, literature, architecture, arts.

Last edited:
:previous:

That is a wonderful array of fields of training. Thank you.

Your welcome Tatiana Maria ?

Some Princesses underwent training equailent to a Prince.

They used to attend boarding schools/academies which taught them all these.

It all depends on the culture of a given region. I think I saw an interesting documentary film concerning princesses and their training - I'll try to find it on youtube, perhaps you'd find it interesting :)

Thanks JonJon1. I agree that it all depends on the culture of the given region.

Queen Victoria played the piano. She commissioned in 1856 an Erard Piano, the same piano brand from France that Chopin played.

That's so interesting. I never knew this detail about Queen Victoria. Do any records exist that tell us how competent of a piano player she actually was?

It is said that her and Albert actually bonded over music, they were both piano players. Albert was known to compose music.

Queen Victoria (1819-1901) and Prince Albert (1819-1861) were both very accomplished pianists and singers. Prince Albert was also a keen composer from an early age, writing many songs and choral pieces. It was their shared love of music that helped them form an attraction to each other. Victoria noted Albert’s skill at the piano when they first met in 1836. The day after the Queen’s proposal of marriage to Albert, she wrote, “…he sang to me some of his own compositions, which are beautiful, & he has a very fine voice. I also sang for him.” They enjoyed playing piano duets together and accompanying as the other sang, always taking their sheet music with them wherever they would travel. They were both keen followers of theatre and opera, Queen Victoria seeing up to 50 performances per year! Whilst in London as a youngster she would attend two or three performances in the West End each week!

https://blog.musicteachershelper.com/mendelssohn-part-2-queen-victoria/

Princess Victoire (1733-1799) was the daughter of King Louis XV and Queen Maria Leszcynska of France. She was sent to a convent eighty leagues from the Court. Her education had been neglected in the convent. When she was fifteen she returned to court. She studied history, Italian, English, and the higher branches of mathematics.

Princess Victoire (1733-1799) was the daughter of King Louis XV and Queen Maria Leszcynska of France. She was sent to a convent eighty leagues from the Court. Her education had been neglected in the convent. When she was fifteen she returned to court. She studied history, Italian, English, and the higher branches of mathematics.

Convent educations were actually one of the best normally for young women at the time. Many high born and royal women would receive education there before marriage. Unfortunately the convent the girls were sent to was a poor convent, and they were physically as well as educationally neglected.

Cardinal Fleury was trying to cut the costs at court. He had Victoire and her three younger sisters sent to the convent, as it was cheaper then having them at Versailles. Their households were suspended, and they were brought up as mere borders at the convent, not the usual life a royal princess or high born lady would have during their convent education. They could have been sent to be educated at Saint Cyr, a school of sorts established for daughters of soldiers and others who died in service, which would have been cheap as well. But the Cardinal was prejudice. These girls didn't even know the alphabet well into their teens.

Victoire wrote to her father at 15 and asked to be returned to court. Her father and brother retrieved her and her 2 remaining sisters followed. One sister had suffered constant ill health in the six years there, and died at 8 from small pox.

That was in contrast to the king's older daughters. The four older girls were all raised at court. Only the eldest of them married, becoming the Duchess of Parma. Adelaide almost met the same fate as the younger girls, but she pled to her father, and was allowed to remain with her elder sisters. The youngest sister actually ended up becoming a Carmelite nun.

Last edited:
Convent educations were actually one of the best normally for young women at the time. Many high born and royal women would receive education there before marriage. Unfortunately the convent the girls were sent to was a poor convent, and they were physically as well as educationally neglected.

Cardinal Fleury was trying to cut the costs at court. He had Victoire and her three younger sisters sent to the convent, as it was cheaper then having them at Versailles. Their households were suspended, and they were brought up as mere borders at the convent, not the usual life a royal princess or high born lady would have during their convent education. They could have been sent to be educated at Saint Cyr, a school of sorts established for daughters of soldiers and others who died in service, which would have been cheap as well. But the Cardinal was prejudice. These girls didn't even know the alphabet well into their teens.

Victoire wrote to her father at 15 and asked to be returned to court. Her father and brother retrieved her and her 2 remaining sisters followed. One sister had suffered constant ill health in the six years there, and died at 8 from small pox.

That was in contrast to the king's older daughters. The four older girls were all raised at court. Only the eldest of them married, becoming the Duchess of Parma. Adelaide almost met the same fate as the younger girls, but she pled to her father, and was allowed to remain with her elder sisters. The youngest sister actually ended up becoming a Carmelite nun.

So sad and tragic!

Back
Top Bottom