Haunted Royal Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone heard of any hauntings in the Belgian royal residences? Maybe someone who lives in Belgium has...?

(Thanks for sharing, Eva-Britt)

In Belgium I don't think so!! And actually the Belgian Royal Family don't look very spiritual at all...but who knows??

I find it oddly fitting that Elizabeth I would haunt a library. She was a very learned woman.:cool:

Roch Castle, Pembrokeshire
The ghost is the shade of Lucy Walters, first mistress of Charles II, who was born in 1630. She floats through locked rooms in a white dress and may be the cause of the noisy running footsteps which mysteriously disturb the sleep of guests on occasions.

there are heaps of other stories on this site:
http://www.castles-of-britain.com/castle94.htm

Anyone know of any haunted castles in Sweden or Jordan?

Becky24 said:
Anyone know of any haunted castles in Sweden or Jordan?

Grand Duchess mentioned some Swedish ghosts in Post #2 in this thread. :)

It is said that Anne Boleyn (without head) haunts The "Bloody Tower". Sounds like our American "Headless Horseman".:p :p

tiaraprin said:
It is said that Anne Boleyn (without head) haunts The "Bloody Tower". Sounds like our American "Headless Horseman".:p :p

Yes i heard of that tiaraprin. Apparently she appears headless but also walks around the tower with a procession of ladies in waitng following her. Strange isnt it lol

I wonder if two ghosts can see eachother, like for example Elizabeth I sees Princess Diana or whatever. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
tiaraprin said:
Read Washington Irving's "The Headless Horseman". You wanna talk strange and spooky!!:eek:

I've read the book and seen the film... I'd like to visit the Old Cemetery in Sleepy Hollow one day--by the way, is Washington Irving buried there?

Australian said:
Im sure there are ghosts that roam the rooms of the White House, i mean there is so much history there. I wonder if any ex presidents that haunt the place can see eachother lol. Same with royal palaces, i wonder if two ghosts can see eachother, like for example Elizabeth I sees Princess Diana or whatever. :)
They can find the topic to talk about--Shakespeare. ;)

tiaraprin said:
Katherine Parr, last wife of Henry VIII, has been seen over many years residing at Sudeley Castle, her estate that she lived at after Henry died in January 1547.

It was here that she had started married life with Tom Seymour, had the Princess Elizabeth in her care, and was pregnant for the first time. Tom Seymour flirted with Princess Elizabeth, resulting in Elizabeth being sent away.

Katherine gave birth at the end of August 1548 to a daughter and died of fever a few days later. The fate of her daughter is not known.

Many caretakers and visitors to Sudeley have run into her spirit and say she is a benevolent one.

If you want to learn more about this, watch the documentary "Haunted Castles of England."

That is kinda frightning...He flirted with Princess Elizabeth and then took care of his daughter who no one knows what happed to...

If Princess Diana is haunting a palace I feel sorry for Prince Charles and Camilla...Every bad hair day, every lost item, every loud noise at 3:15 a.m -it's Diana.:p

Here is a websit that talks about Hampton Court ghosts as well as ghosts from St James Palace and Brede Palace. Also talks about haunted mansions and Westminster Abbey hauntings and many more. They even talk about haunted churches, parks, manors etc.
http://www.zurichmansion.org/palaces/

Last edited:
My greatgrandmother collapsed when she was at the Tower of London in 1901. She claimed till the day she died (My mothers fathers family immigrated to Australia from England, including his mother) that she had come face to face with the headless spirit (ghost if you will), of Anne Boleyn. She went into great detail upon waking, as to what she was wearing and that her chest was trickling blood & her hair tattered and fused together. She would shake & turn pale every time she passed (whilst still living in London) or saw a photograph of the Tower from that day on. It really had a very bad effect on her.

"MII"

Last edited:
thanks for sharing that Margrethe II, thats a fasincating story. How did your greatgrandmother know it was Anne Boelyn if she was headless though?

Last edited:
Australian said:
thanks for sharing that Margrethe II, thats a fasincating story. How did your greatgrandmother know it was Anne Boelyn if she was headless though?

Hi Australian

Oh, you're more than welcome. It really freaks me out to be honest.

Apparently (from what I've been told) she was in the Chapel of Saint Peter ad Vincula (sp?) and turned around in general observation and collapsed. Was only out for a few moments, but woke screaming and shaking & holding her hands to her face and did'nt want to move them incase the lady with the bloodied head was still there looking at her. Apparently she was also a little physically sick (sorry, dont mean to make anyone else sick).

Thats all I've been told.

"MII"

Last edited:
Here are some more haunted castle from the same site I just mentioned:

*Netherlands-Castle of Hoensbroek, Castle Duivenstein. Link:
http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/netherlands.htm

*Finland-Castle Kastelholm. Link:
http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/finland.htm

*Ireland-Charleville Castle, Dunluce Castle, Birr-Roscrea-Leap Castle. Link:
http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/ireland.htm

*France-Chateau of Versailles. Link:
http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/france.htm

*New Zealand-Larnach's Castle. Link:
http:// www.theshadowlands.net/places/newzealand.htm

*Egypt-Baron Castle. Link:
http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/egypt.html

*South Africa-Cape Town Castle. Link:
http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/safrica.htm

There are a few ghost stories about Glamis Castle in the biography My Darling Buffy about the childhood of The Queen Mother.

I hope someone hasn't already posted about this but there's a really good book called Haunted Royal Homes by Joan Forman and it has some really interesting stories about residences you don't hear about often: Nether Lypiatt, Althorp Park and other places. I loved it!:)

When I was in the UK in 2001 I visited Bolton Castle where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned for a time. Dreadful place! The atmosphere was really oppressive and dark. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

That's really interesting, wymanda.

I felt the same way about Kensington Palace... there's something about it that's really uncomfortable, but it is very beautiful, especially from the outside.

There is a fascinating legend about York House, St James's Palace in London. The Cumberland Room in the house is where the alleged attempted murder of the Duke of Cumberland (son of George III, and future King of Hanover) took place. His valet woke him up in the middle of the night and attacked him with his (the Duke's) regimental sword. The Duke had many cuts on his body but was saved when another valet went in, chasing the crazed valet out of the room with a poker, and the crazed valet slit his wrists upstairs in his own room. That was the testimony of the Duke at the inquest into the death, but the event caused many rumors in society at the time. Some said that the Duke murdered the valet because the valet had confronted him about the Duke's infidelity with the valet's daughter (who had committed suicide on finding out she was pregnant, allegedly with the Duke's child).
It is a legend today that the valet haunts York House.

I'm not sure which one of the Queen's current houses is haunted by a valet that puts out Ascot clothes - tails and top hat. I remember is as the Duke of Edinburgh refered to him as his model employee.
There were rumours in the 1960's about a ghost that used to disturb Andrew and Edward in the nursery when they were very young. They changed the nursury around, rebuilt, even put in a separate kitchen and such and the ghost disappeared.
George VII was one of the few people that saw the Flying Dutchman and lived to a long life, only because he left the boat that he saw it on. The Earl of Wessex saw the Mary Celeste.
I used to work at Die Kastle down in Cape Town, and I believe that it is haunted but haven't seen a thing.

I'm not sure which one of the Queen's current houses is haunted by a valet that puts out Ascot clothes - tails and top hat. I remember is as the Duke of Edinburgh refered to him as his model employee.

This is the funniest one. The Ascot Ghost. I can imagine HM and the Duke joking about that one. The Queen says, "Oh I had wanted to wear my new monochrome hat, so fashionable, but he laid out this one instead, and I was afraid to argue!" :lol:

i myself come from an aristrocratic family in india. my family being traditional zamindars. anyways we own this old palace in a small village a litle distance from calcutta. our family goes there every year to visit it. the palace is in shambles now. my cousin said that there is this one room in the west wing where if you enter its abnormaly cold. she told me that it must have been 45 degrees(in celsius) outside yet when she entered this room it was abnormally cold. she said she was freezing. the workers and servants later told her that one of our ancestors had killed himself in the room after a great tragedy (i think his wife died). they also said that sometimes his ghost can be seen floating around. the west wing is now forbidden to us and visitors.

Last edited:
{removed quoted material from deleted post - Elspeth}

I read somewhere( I don't remember where) that Diana's ghost has been seen at Highgrove, supposely the princes have seen her. Has anyone else heard anything about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere( I don't remember where) that Diana's ghost has been seen at Highgrove, supposely the princes have seen her. Has anyone else heard anything about that?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thats just hilarious, I've also heard that the Princess of Wales' supposed ghost haunts Highgrove and calls Charles' name.
I believe Princess Diana has crossed over and is at peace.

Back
Top Bottom