Haunted Royal Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always wondered how people who see a headless woman at the Tower of London know it is Anne Boleyn...she has no head! It could be anybody!
Anyway, has anyone heard of hauntings regarded Nicholas II and his family?

Anyway, has anyone heard of hauntings regarded Nicholas II and his family?

I would be curious about that as well. I don't think I have ever come across anyone seeing there ghosts...not that I really searched though. I never thought of it before.

Queen Mother's childhood home(I forgot what it was called)is allegedly haunted.

Glamis, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's childhood home (and seat of the Earls of Strathmore and Kinghorne) is indeed alleged to be one of the most haunted buildings in all of Great Britain. Tales include an Earl who played a game of chance with the devil himself, the famous "monster of Glamis", supposedly born to a Lady Glamis and so deformed that he was declared dead and kept imprisoned in an inner room of the castle for almost a hundred years, a white lady, and many more.

The secret of the so-called "monster of Glamis" always fascinated Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon's mother, Celia Strathmore who once asked the factor of the estate the "truth" about the tale. Supposedly, he told her to be glad she would never know, that if she knew the truth it would prevent her from being happy again for even one single day of her life!

I believe part of the reason the story has gained so much credence is due to the fact there are four more windows visible from the outside of Glamis than can be accessed from the inside. (One intrepid house party hung towels from every known window and then gathered outside to find those missing towels; the earl returned home in the middle of this activity and ordered his wife and guests to leave, immediately.) Of course, there is probably some kernel of truth to this story, but I assume the rest is superstitious layers added through time and repeated telling of the story.

If anyone knows more about this legend, please do share! It is fascinating, especially when one considers many believe the "monster" lived until 1921, only two years previous to Lady Elizabeth's marriage to the Duke of York!

I would be curious about that as well. I don't think I have ever come across anyone seeing there ghosts...not that I really searched though. I never thought of it before.

Any ghosts of Nicholas II and his immediate family could be haunting a few places. The Palaces where they lived most of their lives, Tsarkoe Selo, where I believe they were imprisoned, the Impatiev House is gone, but they could be still haunting the premises (though I tend to doubt that). More than anything I would wonder if they haunted the forest were they were buried for 70 years and the mine where Alexei and Maria were "buried".

I believe Hampton court and Kensington palace to be haunted by royal ghosts maybe even the Alexander palace....

I have heard that HRH The Prince Andrew, Duke of York has seen some ghost at one of the British Palaces.

The Ansembourg Castle in Luxembourg is also said to be haunted. Legend has it that a young lady jumped to her death from the Castle Tower after she was forced to marry a greedy Baron. It is said that during the late night, you can hear a noise of a working spinning wheel, that's because the young lady wove her burial dress before jumping from the Castle Tower.

Isn't Hever Castle and Hampton Court both reported to be haunted?

Back
Top Bottom