The Future Monarchs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this may not happen but I would really love if Ingrid Alexandra chooses "Queen Margaret II" as her regnal name when she is queen. I also would love if Estelle chooses "Queen Victoria II" as a regnal name!
She may not be Margaret II, cos Maraget I was never Queen of Norway, even though it was a Union..Just my guess..

She may not be Margaret II, cos Maraget I was never Queen of Norway, even though it was a Union..Just my guess..
She was queen consort of Norway, as well as regent of Norway after the death of her only son, as well as regent of Denmark and Sweden, so she was as much queen of Norway as she was queen of Denmark and queen of Sweden, or as little if you don't want to count a regent as a monarch. The union between Denmark and Norway came through the son of Margareta, as he was heir to both his father and his maternal grandfather. Margaret I of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why would Ingrid choose Margaret when she have two good and very regnal names of her own? I could understand if Estelle might opt for the slightly more regnal Mary since that's one of her names, but I strongly doubt even that.

I know this may not happen but I would really love if Ingrid Alexandra chooses "Queen Margaret II" as her regnal name when she is queen. I also would love if Estelle chooses "Queen Victoria II" as a regnal name!

Why exactly? Makes very little sense. Do those countries even choose 'regal names'?

Ingrid is I believe of old norse origin,there was a 12th century Queen Consort of Norway called Ingrid Ragnvaldsdotter,there was also of more recent memory, Ingrid of Sweden,Queen Consort of Denmark so the name is fine with me.

Why would Princess Estelle be called Victoria? Queen Estelle would be a very beautiful name. Desiree was at one time (and not that long ago) not a royal name in Sweden but is considered it today. New names are introduced and old ones left behind. Estelle is a very beautiful name and I am sure she will use it proudly and one day be Queen Estelle.

I think by the time that all those wonderful children reign, traditional things will be seen differently, look at when QEII was a child compared to today,so what we consider traditional now, might not be then. I hope that all of the children keep their given first names because, IMHO, I really like all of them. Especially Ingrid-Alexandra and Catharina-Amalia,:flowers: I think their parents chose very regal beautiful names.(I love the two names-names) I know W&C won't do it but I would love for them to follow with the two names-name.

10704_1000.jpg

With succession laws changing around the world, there are bound to be more diamond Queens so I made this wallpaper in honour of Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee

nice wallpaper!!!

i doubt about IA's regal name as a Queen, Catharina-Amalia has a - bonding the two names, but IA doesnt have - between Ingrid and Alexandra. i believe when her father succeeds the throne she'll be Crown Princess Ingrid of Norway, just like her father when he became the first line in the throne, his second name Magnus wasnt used in his official title, thus becoming Crown Prince Haakon and not Crown Prince Haakon Magnus.
i think its a tradition in the Norwegien royal family to have just two names, but when becoming the heir and eventually a monarch, just the main name is used instead.

as for Amalia, she might follow his father footsteps and be named Queen Catharina-Amalia instead of just one of them, after all the two names are together with a -.

Last edited:
nice wallpaper!!!

i doubt about IA's regal name as a Queen, Catharina-Amalia has a - bonding the two names, but IA doesnt have - between Ingrid and Alexandra. i believe when her father succeeds the throne she'll be Crown Princess Ingrid of Norway, just like her father when he became the first line in the throne, his second name Magnus wasnt used in his official title, thus becoming Crown Prince Haakon and not Crown Prince Haakon Magnus.
i think its a tradition in the Norwegien royal family to have just two names, but when becoming the heir and eventually a monarch, just the main name is used instead.

I'd imagine that she'll use Ingrid as its an old norse name,but I could be wrong.

I hope that Ingrid maybe changes the Norweign tradition and uses both of her names in her offical title. I think it is such a wonderful combination and I thought I remembered CP Haakon telling reporters when she was born that she would go by both names. I just really like the combination of the names. I always thought it strange that Felipe and Letizia decided to give both their daughters only one name. I thought I read somewhere it was because of the press but kind of thought it strange, in most countries children have at least a first and middle name.

:previous:
I agree. Ingrid Alexandra is a beautiful combination, and I too hope she'll use both as Crown Princess and eventually Queen. I also think that 'Queen Ingrid' makes you think of "our" Danish Queen Ingrid, but that might just be because I'm Danish and that Queen Ingrid was (and still is) such an iconic figure to most Danes.

I would hope the girls with two names would use their regnal number between the names like Carl XVI Gustaf. So Ingrid I Alexandra and Catharina I Amalia. I wish Willem was using the name Willem IV Alexander.

.i think its a tradition in the Norwegien royal family to have just two names, but when becoming the heir and eventually a monarch, just the main name is used instead.
I don't think there is a tradition in the Norwegian royal family with just two names, I would say rather that the males have just one name. King Haakon VII had six names as a prince of Denmark, his son was given four, but the names given were changed to more Norwegian-sounding names and just one single name. As far as I know Harald has also only one name, his sisters have two respective three given names.

I would say that it's common in Norway among all groups of people to give children two names and sometimes the children are called by both names, as Märtha Louise as well as Mette-Marit and their children are examples of. As for Haakon, according to Wikipedia he was given the names Haakon Magnus, but for everyday use only Haakon was to be used. I think it was more the media who used Haakon Magnus when he was young as they considered it cute and in symmetry with Märtha Louise, and not family and friends. It was first when Haakon was grown up and requested to be known as only Haakon the press stopped calling him by both names. As for Ingrid Alexandra she is known by both names and there are no real reasons for her to drop one of them when older, unless she gets tired of signing with a long name.
I would hope the girls with two names would use their regnal number between the names like Carl XVI Gustaf. So Ingrid I Alexandra and Catharina I Amalia.
I don't see a reason why either girl would use a regnal number as both will be the first ones by their names, there doesn't seem to be a tradition of giving regnal numbers to monarchs being the first one by a name in the Netherlands, neither Wilhelmina, Juliana nor Beatrix used one so there wouldn't be a reason for Catharina-Amalia to break that tradition. Nor do I think the Norwegians would use a regnal number for a monarch being the first one by their name.

I always thought it strange that Felipe and Letizia decided to give both their daughters only one name. I thought I read somewhere it was because of the press but kind of thought it strange, in most countries children have at least a first and middle name.

There was a change in the law in Spain and only 2 names can now used in official documents. This is why also the children of Infanta Cristina have only 2 names and not more.

I hope that Ingrid maybe changes the Norweign tradition and uses both of her names in her offical title. I think it is such a wonderful combination and I thought I remembered CP Haakon telling reporters when she was born that she would go by both names. I just really like the combination of the names. I always thought it strange that Felipe and Letizia decided to give both their daughters only one name. I thought I read somewhere it was because of the press but kind of thought it strange, in most countries children have at least a first and middle name.
yes it was because of the press, because in the case of Leonor and Sofia's cousin, Felipe Froilan, is the press that decided to call him just Froilan so that they would not confuse with the prince of asturias, but in the family he is Felipe.
so in case they named one of their children after someone, eventually the press would choose among other names of the child to refer to. as for Leonor, it wouldnt be a problem because there are any current Leonors and the name is regal and fit for a Queen, but with Sofia,they would call her diferently if she had other names, so that they would not confuse with Queen Sofia.

Last edited:
Wonderful wallpaper,Monarchist Aussie!Thanks for sharing:)
I just wanted to say we should also include Japans future royal:princess Aiko!
She has the most difficult role to fulfil/the most complicated background in my view especially with the IHA who is very restricting.What do you think?

I just wanted to say we should also include Japans future royal:princess Aiko!
She has the most difficult role to fulfil/the most complicated background in my view especially with the IHA who is very restricting.What do you think?
Aiko is not a future monarch, unless her male cousin dies and Japan changes its constitution, while all the girls on the wallpaper are heiresses apparent and future monarchs.

Yes,of course,that´s true,she is only the next after her father but for me she is still a future-monarch because someday in the future she will head the Japanese monarchy:) I don´t want her in the wallpaper but I thought her role would be highly interesting to discuss.

Aiko won't be an heiress no matter what happens to her cousin: the succession laws don't allow females to ascend to the Throne, whether there is a male heir or not.
A wonderful wallpaper indeed, Monarchist Aussie.

Aiko won't be an heiress no matter what happens to her cousin: the succession laws don't allow females to ascend to the Throne, whether there is a male heir or not.
And if there was a change in the Japanese constitution regarding the succession law as I mentioned in my post? Wouldn't she became heir if both was to happen?
Yes,of course,that´s true,she is only the next after her father but for me she is still a future-monarch because someday in the future she will head the Japanese monarchy:) I don´t want her in the wallpaper but I thought her role would be highly interesting to discuss.
No, unless there is a change regarding the succession laws in Japan Aiko won't become a monarch, as Artemisia mentioned females are not able to inherit the Chrysanthemum Throne.

Last edited:
My apologies, Meraude; I hadn't read your post carefully enough.
If something happens to Hisahito, he constitution will almost certainly be changed, allowing female succession - there simply are no other male heirs.

There was a change in the law in Spain and only 2 names can now used in official documents. This is why also the children of Infanta Cristina have only 2 names and not more.
Thanks!! I didn't know that, I wondered why Cristina's younger children only had one name unlike the older children, now I know why:flowers:

Any idea what the logic was behind changing the law on names?

And if there was a change in the Japanese constitution regarding the succession law as I mentioned in my post? Wouldn't she became heir if both was to happen?

No, unless there is a change regarding the succession laws in Japan Aiko won't become a monarch, as Artemisia mentioned females are not able to inherit the Chrysanthemum Throne.

Well,I am convinced the succession laws will be changed-maybe not for Aiko but within the next 50 years the Japanese monarchy will have to do it because they don´t have large families and most of the other royal families have adapted to the modern age by allowing females to reign.Of course Japan is very traditional and changes do happen much much slower,but I believe they need to do reforms to preserve the Chrysanthemum throne.This is just my speculation and hope-we will see what the future holds!

Concerning the names-isn´t it possible that the ladies with double-names take on a royal name when they accept the throne like George V who was born as George Frederick Ernest Albert or George VI-originally Albert Frederick Arthur George?

Last edited:
Any idea what the logic was behind changing the law on names?

As far as i remember it was because many people had quiet a string of names and in official docemtns it needed a lot of space to list them all.

A double-name shouldn´t be an issue,but in the past some royals had a dozen second names to honour all of their relatives,in UK male royals carry four names but only one first name.For non-royals I find it quite beautiful to have one first name,one second name and one family name like Franklin Delano Roosevelt-the second name is usually abbreviated to one letter.

The royals have chosen charming names for their offspring which I wouldn´t like to be changed.Well,...maybe Estelle but I am sure I will get used to it!My favourite names are Amalia and Leonor-unique,short,beautiful sound :flowers:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom