The Future Monarchs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that many monarchies are changing the laws to allow a female to be the heir to the throne if she is the oldest and not put her in second or not in the line at all because because she is female. I am also happy to see in the future will have four queens reigning I can't wait I know they will try to be good queens to their countries.

I am thrilled and look forward to seeing the change in Britain and in Japan.

Re: the Netherlands. This thing of King/Queen and Prince/ss of the Netherlands as consort - it is not law yet, or is it? When is it to be enacted?

I hope Spain hurries up with the reform before Letizia has a boy.

It will be a great change to see ruling Queens of holland, Sweden, Belgium, and Spain all at once! Come on Norway and England. Come on Luxembourg for that matter!

Wait, Norway does it already but not Denmark (yet).

I think it's so wonderful. Gives me a warm, feminist glow.:flowers:

Do anyone think it will be very difficult for a princess to keep the balance between being the monarch and being the wife and being the mother especially when they inherits the throne at a very young age?
I am not against having femle queens especially they are senior than other silbings. But I feel it will be very very difficult and miserable for their young children. I am not sure about other crown princes but I think Charles did suffer a lot because the Queen inherited the throne at a very young age.

Frothy said:
Re: the Netherlands. This thing of King/Queen and Prince/ss of the Netherlands as consort - it is not law yet, or is it? When is it to be enacted?

It is already in the Act on the membership of the Royal House 2002. Keep in mind that we are talking about the official titles. How Máxima will styled 'in daily practice' is still to be awaited.

Let me give you the three relevant articles on the titles:

Article 7
The Heir Apparent bears the title Prince (Princess) of Orange.

Article 8
1. The Heir Apparent, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bear the title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands.

2. The title of Prince (Princess of the Netherlands) can only and exclusively be granted by Royal Decree to the following members of the Royal House:
a. the spouse of the King; 1
b. the children born in a marriage of the King;
c. the spouse of the Heir Apparent;
d. the children born in a marriage of the Heir Apparent;
e. to those who can succeed the King according article 4. 2

3. The title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands will revert with the loss of the membership of the Royal House. 3

Article 9
1. The King, the Heir Apparent, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bear the title Prince (Princess of Orange-Nassau).

2. The title Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau can only and eclusively be granted by Royal Decree to members of the Royal House.

3. Within three months after the loss of the membership of the Royal House, a decision will be given by Royal Decree on the retaining of the title Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau as a personal title for those who have lost the membership. 4

4. By the Royal Decree mentioned in the third part, also the family-name will be determined. 5

------

see 1:
this means Princess Máxima remains a Princess of the Netherlands (instead of 'Queen of the Netherlands').

see 2:
with this is meant that when there are no hereditary successors anymore, the States-General (parliament) can designate a successor (for an example Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme) and he then will be granted the title Prince of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau as well.

see 3:
this happened to Prince Friso: when he engaged into a marriage with miss Mabel Martine Wisse Smit without requesting for an Act of Consent. By doing so, he lost his membership and therefore also his title Prince of the Netherlands.

see 4:
this happened to Prince Friso: after the loss of his membership of the Royal House, a Royal Decree was issued to retain his title Prince of Orange-Nassau as a personal title.

see 5:
this happened to Prince Friso: a Royal Decree was issued to establish the family-name Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg, with the noble and hereditary title Count of Orange-Nassau and the noble and hereditary predicate Jonkheer van Amsberg

Last edited:
Thank you Henri, very interesting! I like the system, it is totally fair to men and women and implicitly recognises how common divorces are... no worries to the Dutch if the King divorces, you will not have an ex-Queen - you will know exactly who will be styled what.

All that is lacking is the removal of the archaic requirement of royal consent and stripping of rank in the event of "unequal" marriages.

I think that a women monarch will be jst as good as a male one.

A women can do anything a man can do, so there is no problem.

We have a few examples of hw so far female monarches have been performing liek Beatrix and Magrethe

I also can't wait to see these little beauties become queens one day. Ingrid Alexandra, Elizabeth, Amalia, Leonor (hopefully the law will be changed in her case) will make excellent monarchs IMO . It is ironic, however, that all these little queens had fathers who were born crown princes. I am also looking forward to Christian, the only male heir, become a ruler among queens as rulers of the other countries.

The future Monarchies In Spain And Belgium

I was just wondering what people think of the future of the monarchy.

What role do you think it will have?

I began to think about this after reading the articles which Royalty.nu provides links to on their Spanish and Belgium sites (just clarify - the articles and websites are in English).

It made me question why the current situation has arisen and what is most likely to happen.

As far as I understood (and I'll grant you that NZ is a long way from anywhere!) the Spanish monarchy had been great for Spain.
I have heard that the Danish monarchy is popular, is this true, and how does it compare with the others - for example the Netherlands, England (which I do know slightly more about) and Norway?

I'll be interested to hear what people think, and what, if anything they contribute to a general understanding of the standing of today's (and the future's) monarchies.

:flowers: To kick things off, I have found (thanks to google) some more articles which are related, or that I find interesting. Links :

Model of a modern Danish monarchy - This discusses the current popularity of Denmarks' royal family.

Monarchy today: challenges and problems.
The legitimacy of Danish monarchy is based on its great popularity. There are not many republicans in Denmark. However, the privileges which the monarchy enjoys (and must enjoy in order to be a monarchy) present a constant challenge in a country that sees itself as strongly commited to democracy. In the present post-national era - in which the EU is playing an increasingly important role - the constitutional function of the monarchy is reduced. In stead the symbolic role of the monarchy and the royal family is becoming even more important.
(Jes Fabricius Møller)
(This is actually a lecture outline)

And this post fromt the Scandanavian Royals Message Board by Reichen

And finally, here is a Times article about the Spanish royal family - the recent appointment of an auditor, the disgusting cartoons about Felipe & Letizia

I find the bit about the courtcase re the cartoon of F&L very interesting. To me such a cartoon is permissable even though I like F&L.

I was just wondering what people think of the future of the monarchy.

What role do you think it will have?

I began to think about this after reading the articles which Royalty.nu provides links to on their Spanish and Belgium sites (just clarify - the articles and websites are in English).

It made me question why the current situation has arisen and what is most likely to happen.

As far as I understood (and I'll grant you that NZ is a long way from anywhere!) the Spanish monarchy had been great for Spain.
I have heard that the Danish monarchy is popular, is this true, and how does it compare with the others - for example the Netherlands, England (which I do know slightly more about) and Norway?

I'll be interested to hear what people think, and what, if anything they contribute to a general understanding of the standing of today's (and the future's) monarchies.

:flowers: To kick things off, I have found (thanks to google) some more articles which are related, or that I find interesting. Links :

Model of a modern Danish monarchy - This discusses the current popularity of Denmarks' royal family.

Monarchy today: challenges and problems.
The legitimacy of Danish monarchy is based on its great popularity. There are not many republicans in Denmark. However, the privileges which the monarchy enjoys (and must enjoy in order to be a monarchy) present a constant challenge in a country that sees itself as strongly commited to democracy. In the present post-national era - in which the EU is playing an increasingly important role - the constitutional function of the monarchy is reduced. In stead the symbolic role of the monarchy and the royal family is becoming even more important.
(Jes Fabricius Møller)
(This is actually a lecture outline)

And this post fromt the Scandanavian Royals Message Board by Reichen

And finally, here is a Times article about the Spanish royal family - the recent appointment of an auditor, the disgusting cartoons about Felipe & Letizia

Thanks guys. I'll chech them out later, but was hoping perhaps that by starting a thread about both that we'd be able to draw comparisons etc.

marmi

Future Queens

With changes to the order of succession in recent years, there are several young ladies who are in line to inherit the throne in Europe.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway is one. It's sooo interesting to me that she is next in line after her father even though her aunt is older than her father the Crown Prince.

There are currently three reigning queens in Europe. In the generation after the current crop of Crown Princes there are 4 future queens. If all four reign at the same time will that be a record.

Lets see, if the first child of Victoria and Daniel will also be a future queen. Then will they be five in total.

And if future first child of William and Catherine will also be a girl, then will be six!
And when Guillaume marries and has a girl first...Seven!
Maybe with the time succession laws in Liechtenstein and Monaco will also be changed?

in the future, Europe will be full of female Monarchs!!! how great that is, because women have proven over time that they are great leaders, amazing fighters and potentially capable.

i hope other countries, such as Japan, can see their strenght and take after them.

That will be great! Of course who knows because some of these women may have a boy first.

Crown princess Mary of Denmark
Crown princess Mette marit of Norway
Princess letizia of Asturias
Princess maxima of the Netherlands
Princess Mathilde of Belgium
Crown princess masako of japan
Crown princess Victoria of Sweden
And many more I am sure they will br great Queens since they are respected by their people;)

Crown princess Mary of Denmark
Crown princess Mette marit of Norway
Princess letizia of Asturias
Princess maxima of the Netherlands
Princess Mathilde of Belgium
Crown princess masako of japan

Those ladies will not be Queen Regnants as their husbands are the ones in line for their respective thrones. We're talking about Victoria, Ingrid- Alexandra, Elisabeth, Leonor, Catharina-Amalia.

Do think in Spain they change the female succession law? not sure

Why not? Spain is now a very progressive country, times of Franco's dictature are over. Men and women are now equal.

I am not sure of that if it comes to non-European monarchies. Not in the nearest time at least.

Female Heads of Dynastic Houses

In the world of royalty and nobility it is a rare situation when a female is head of a dynastic house what is your comment about this?
There are three reigning female dynastic heads of houses all of them are queens and they are:
1.Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth realms
2.Queen Margethe II of Denmark
3.Queen Beatrix of Netherlands
Now there are non reigning female heads of dynastic houses and they are:
1.Princess Rosa of Burundi (Africa)
2.Princess Kamorrisa,Countess of Welle

Last edited:
3 Fantastic Queens! Think they have all done an excellent job imho. :)

They are some nice pictures of the future Queens, though Christians prescence through me a little (I was expecting only the girls)
To me there seems to be a distinct resemblance between Elisabeth of Belgium and Ingrid of Norway. They have the same shaped chin and lower lip. They are third cousins.

Last edited:
It's great such a thing could happen in Europe, but for the middle east, Asia and Africa I don't think so. The chances at the moment are nihil but perhaps in the far future it could happen. But it would be totally awesome: imagine queen .... of Saudi Arabia or something like that.

As for the situation in Japan it's quite interesting her nephew will take over right if the law doesn't change.

And if future first child of William and Catherine will also be a girl, then will be six!
A child of William and Catherine will belong to the generation after Ingrid-Alexandra, Catharina-Amalia, Elizabeth, Leonor and Estelle, as it will be the child of an heir of an heir, as it's William himself who is the heir of an heir like the little girls mentioned and Christian of Denmark, even if William is at least 20-30 years older than the rest of them.

Back
Top Bottom