Famous Ancestors of "Commoner" Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, her grandmother was born Marian Louisa Montagu-Douglas-Scott, herself a granddaughter of the 6th Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry and a first cousin of Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester.

Camilla is a descendant of Charles II too

Princess Mathilde of Belgium is a descendant of the Counts of Savoy through several members of this family.
Oh yes including Stewarts like James II and IV , Leslie, Douglas, Campbell and Gordon's families,
kings of Denmark f.ex. Frederik I von Oldenburg, few Herzogs, dames, Grand Duke of Lithuanie, Radziwiłłs too.
Ancestors of Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz=

She is related with her husband, late Lady Di or Elizabeth II.

Mathilde's relationships with Prince of Asturias
http://www.insde.es/ramhg/admin/data/Matilded_Udekem.pdf

Camilla is a descendant of Charles II too

The same late Lady Diana.

Sophie Countess of Wessex is related with Charles II too.
About her descendants http://worldroots.com/brigitte/famous/s/sophierhysjonesanc.htm

Diana, Camilla and Sarah share a number of common ancestors. Here is the list of some of them:

Diana, Camilla and Sarah are all descended from Louise de Kérouaille, Duchess of Portsmouth (mistress of Charles II) through her son Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond.
Diana and Sarah was also descended from another of Charles II's mistresses, Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleveland (through their son, Henry Fitzroy).

William Douglas, 6th Earl of Morton (the son of Sir Robert Douglas and Margaret Erskine, a former mistress of King James V of Scotland) is an ancestor to both Diana and Camilla.

Diana and Sarah are descended from Arabella Churchill, the mistress of King James II.
Correction: It was previously stated that they were both descended from Henrietta FitzJames, Arabella and King James's daughter. However, upon check, I found that they are descended through two different children: only Diana was descended from Henrietta FitzJames, while Sarah is descended from one of Arabella's and King James's sons (through illegitimate line).

Mary Boleyn (mistress of Henry VIII and sister of Anne Boleyn) is an ancestor to Diana, Sarah and the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Lucrezia de' Medici is an ancestor to Diana, Camilla and Sarah (through her grandson, the famous Cosimo I de' Medici).

Diana, Camilla and Sarah are descended from Maria de Salinas, Lady Willoughby (the faithful friend and lady-in-waiting to Catherine of Aragon, whose daughter). It is alleged that Henry VIII wanted to divorce (or execute) his 6th wife, Catherine Parr and marry Maria's daughter Catherine Willoughby, Duchess of Suffolk.

Agnese del Maino (the mistress of Filippo Visconti, the last legitimate Duke of Milan of the Visconti dynasty) is an ancestor to Diana and Sarah.

Robert, 2nd Earl of Essex (the favourite of Queen Elizabeth I, who was executed for treason in 1601) is an ancestor (through his daughter, Frances Seymour, Duchess of Somerset) of the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, Diana, Camilla and Sarah.

Of course, this is not nearly a complete list of the ancestors they shard, merely a list of some interesting (for me) ones.

Sarah , Duchess of York

Diana, Camilla and Sarah share a number of common ancestors. Here is the list of some of them:

Diana, Camilla and Sarah are all descended from Louise de Kérouaille, Duchess of Portsmouth (mistress of Charles II) through her son Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond.
Diana and Sarah was also descended from another of Charles II's mistresses, Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleveland (through their son, Henry Fitzroy).

William Douglas, 6th Earl of Morton (the son of Sir Robert Douglas and Margaret Erskine, a former mistress of King James V of Scotland) is an ancestor to both Diana and Camilla.

Diana and Sarah are descended from Henrietta FitzJames, the Dowager Lady Waldegrave and Countess of Newcastle (illegitimate daughter of James II and his mistress, Arabella Churchill - the sister of 1st Duke of Marlborough).

Mary Boleyn (mistress of Henry VIII and sister of Anne Boleyn) is an ancestor to Diana, Sarah and the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Lucrezia de' Medici is an ancestor to Diana, Camilla and Sarah (through her grandson, the famous Cosimo I de' Medici).

Diana, Camilla and Sarah are descended from Maria de Salinas, Lady Willoughby (the faithful friend and lady-in-waiting to Catherine of Aragon, whose daughter). It is alleged that Henry VIII wanted to divorce (or execute) his 6th wife, Catherine Parr and marry Maria's daughter Catherine Willoughby, Duchess of Suffolk.

Agnese del Maino (the mistress of Filippo Visconti, the last legitimate Duke of Milan of the Visconti dynasty) is an ancestor to Diana and Sarah.

Robert, 2nd Earl of Essex (the favourite of Queen Elizabeth I, who was executed for treason in 1601) is an ancestor (through his daughter, Frances Seymour, Duchess of Somerset) of the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, Diana, Camilla and Sarah.

Of course, this is not nearly a complete list of the ancestors they shard, merely a list of some interesting (for me) ones.
Can you tell me how Sarah Duchess of York is descended from King James II ? .

She's not a descendant of King James II, but of his brother King Charles II.

Read in Antonia Fraser's biographie of Charles II that half the english nobility is descended from him

She's not a descendant of King James II, but of his brother King Charles II.

Sarah is descended from James II.
Her ancestor was one of the 3 illegitimate children of Henry Fitzjames (I am not sure which one, although I believe it was a girl), Governor of Limousin, himself the son of James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick - the illegitimate son of James II and Arabella Churchill.

And yes, she is also descended from Charles II; as susan alicia put it, half the English nobility and gentry is descended from him.

Sarah , Duchess of York

Sarah is descended from James II.
Her ancestor was one of the 3 illegitimate children of Henry Fitzjames (I am not sure which one, although I believe it was a girl), Governor of Limousin, himself the son of James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick - the illegitimate son of James II and Arabella Churchill.

And yes, she is also descended from Charles II; as susan alicia put it, half the English nobility and gentry is descended from him.
Can you give me a source thats says she is descended from James II ? . I would also like to know how Camilla is descended from Charles II.

Henry Fitzjames.

According to the book "The Marshal Duke of Berwick " by Charles Petrie 1953, Henry Fitzjames had no sons only a daughter.

Can you give me a source thats says she is descended from James II ? . I would also like to know how Camilla is descended from Charles II.

Camilla descend from Charles II through her maternal grandmother, Sonia Rosemary born Keppel of the counts of Albemarle since the wife of the second count of Albemarle was lady Anne Lennox, daughter of the first duke of Richmond, himself a son of Charles II.

Camilla

Camilla descend from Charles II through her maternal grandmother, Sonia Rosemary born Keppel of the counts of Albemarle since the wife of the second count of Albemarle was lady Anne Lennox, daughter of the first duke of Richmond, himself a son of Charles II.
Thanks for that information Amedea.

I dont know much about the Commoner Royal"s ancestors, so thats why I am asking so many questions.

Does Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg have any famous ancestors?

What About Mette-Marit of Norway and Maxima of The Netherlands??

Maria Teresa descends from a medieval Spanish King, but I can't remember which one.

Maxima of the Netherlands

I dont know much about the Commoner Royal"s ancestors, so thats why I am asking so many questions.

Wikipedia says Maxima is a descendant of Pachacuti , ninth Sapa Inca of the Kingdom of Cusco.

How would they know about such things? Through DNA testing?

:previous:

I agree. Wikipedia also says, Princess Michael of Kent is descendant of painter Rubens, it may be right because I don't know her pedigree completely, but I never heard something like that before...

the Inka royal family is reasonably well known, as are their descedants

I didn't know that, sorry.
Anyway, her ancestry goes back to some French names, at least the line drawn by this genealogy website... but I don't know if they were really aristocrats.

Ancestry of Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano

According to project Guttenberg Letizia has descended from Velasco family which have been made hereditary Constable of Castile in 15th century by King Henry IV of Castile,although through time this title lost it's significance...

Princess Mathilde of Belgium is a descendant of the Counts of Savoy through several members of this family.

Her father,Count Patrick d'Udekem d'Acoz has also descended from Croy,Nassau,Leiningen,Isenburg and Ligne families...and through them from King Stephen of England and William the Conqueror,who was his maternal grandfather,King Louis VII of France etc.

Last edited:
I wonder why I am slashed on these boards when I regret it that royal families are "commonizing" but apparently it is normal to take a microscope and research like CSI for the tiniest possible snippet of some royal descendants in the commoners' pedigrees????

Maria Theresa- one side of her family, the Mestras, are descended from Ferdinand the Great of Leon and Castile. He father's family is also descended from an old Spanish noble family the Espinosa de los Monteros.

Maxima an Queen Silvia are said to be descended from Alfonso III of Portugal. They are both descended from the same natural son.

Queen Paola's mother is a descendent of the Marquis de Lafayette.

I wonder why I am slashed on these boards when I regret it that royal families are "commonizing" but apparently it is normal to take a microscope and research like CSI for the tiniest possible snippet of some royal descendants in the commoners' pedigrees????
I think there is a difference between noting that a current married-in royal has an aristocratic or royal lineage, especially since many of these forebears may be historical figures versus asserting that having an aristocratic or royal lineage makes you a better royal.

Queen Paola's mother is a descendent of the Marquis de Lafayette.

Her mother is also a descendant of Duke Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy and through him of King Francois I of France,King Fernando "the Catholic" of Aragon and Queen Isabella "the Catholic" of Castille.

Maria Theresa- one side of her family, the Mestras, are descended from Ferdinand the Great of Leon and Castile.

From her mother's side,she is also a descendant of King Alfonso IV of Aragon:

King Alfonso IV of Aragon,lived from 1299-1336
I
Count Jaime de Aragon of Urgel,lived from 1321-1347
I
Doña N,batarde de Aragon
I
Don Jaime de Tores y Aragon,Senor de Zayas,born in 1360
I
Don Alonso de Zayas y Muñiz de Godoy,born around 1380
I
Don Alonso de Zayas Saavedra,Señor de la villa de Coria