Excommunicated Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CyrilVladisla

Imperial Majesty
City
Conneaut
Country
United States
Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV, who reigned from 1056 to 1105, was excommunicated by Pope Gregory VII three separate times and once by Pope Urban II. The first time was on February 22, 1076 over the Investiture Controversy.

Henry VIII of England was excommunicated.

:previous: Thanks, you are right. Something that always confuses me is why/how Rome could excommunicate Elizabeth I....at the time of her birth hadn't Henry separated the English Church from Rome anyway? Elizabeth was not-strictly speaking-baptized as a Roman Catholic and she certainly never considered herself one during her long life.

(Even though she was never quite as radically Protestant as her younger brother, Edward VI.)

So why issue a papal bull specifically to excommunicate her?

As was his daughter,Elizabeth 1st.

Jeanne III of Navarre and her son Henri III of Navarre later Henri IV of France.

Henri III of Navarre famously converted to Catholicism to become Henri IV of France. I didn't know he had been excommunicated along with his Protestant mother, but his excommunication must have been lifted when he converted, was it not ?

:previous: Thanks, you are right. Something that always confuses me is why/how Rome could excommunicate Elizabeth I....at the time of her birth hadn't Henry separated the English Church from Rome anyway? Elizabeth was not-strictly speaking-baptized as a Roman Catholic and she certainly never considered herself one during her long life.

(Even though she was never quite as radically Protestant as her younger brother, Edward VI.)

So why issue a papal bull specifically to excommunicate her?

She couldn't consider herself a RC otherwise she would have had to "admit" she was a bastard and that the legitimate Queen was Mary of Scots. The Settlement of 1559 and other personal preferences regarding Bryd and Tallis etc shows she certainly wasn't a radical protestant.

The Papal Bull? To officially support her enemies against her.

Henri III of Navarre famously converted to Catholicism to become Henri IV of France. I didn't know he had been excommunicated along with his Protestant mother, but his excommunication must have been lifted when he converted, was it not ?

Henri was baptized Roman Catholic ,later raised Calvinist,abjured under Catherine de Médicis ,declared himself Calvinist again in the mid 1570's,excommunicated by the Pope in 1589 to stop him becoming King of France,abjured again in 1593 but Pope Clement VIII only removed the ban of excommunication from Henry on the 17th of September 1595.

She couldn't consider herself a RC otherwise she would have had to "admit" she was a bastard and that the legitimate Queen was Mary of Scots. The Settlement of 1559 and other personal preferences regarding Bryd and Tallis etc shows she certainly wasn't a radical protestant.

It also denounced any Catholic Sovereign who came to her aid and prevented Elizabeth from marrying a Catholic.

Lucky for Elizabeth France was in chaos ,Catherine de Médicis and her sons were preoccupied with the Huguenot Wars,the Emperor was busy fighting the Turks and Philip II with the Rebellion in the Low Countries.

Henri was baptized Roman Catholic ,later raised Calvinist,abjured under Catherine de Médicis ,declared himself Calvinist again in the mid 1570's,excommunicated by the Pope in 1589 to stop him becoming King of France,abjured again in 1593 but Pope Clement VIII only removed the ban of excommunication from Henry on the 17th of September 1595.

So he was crowned/ consecrated King of France before the excommunication was lifted ? I didn't know that was possible !

The abjuration of Henri IV, July 25, 1593, in the Basilica of Saint-Denis.

640px-Nicolas_Baullery_Abjuration_Henri_IV_mus%C3%A9e_d%27art_et_d%27histoire_de_meudon.jpg

His Coronation took place at Chartres Cathedral on February 25th,1594 and not at Reims the traditional Coronation site of French Monarchs .

Victor Emmanuel II of Italy was excommunicated by Pope Pius IX after waging war with the Papal States:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/87/18/05/87180559b9726f08a09b7589c40fbcf9.jpg

Emperor Napoleon was also excommunicated after he ordered various anti-Papal laws:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/25/d3/b0/25d3b0d5b107ead69a286e69add4b060.jpg

Robert the Bruce was excommunicated after he was killed before the altar of Greyfriars Church at Dumfries:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/1a/55/97/1a55977bdd776604c84a7070d101247e.jpg

Interesting page on Pinterest of famous figures (including royals) who were excommunicated from the Catholic church:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/MadsIsTheMan/people-excommunicated-by-the-roman-catholic-church/?lp=true

Thank you, very interesting! But what I don't understand is how the pope could excommunicate someone who was not Roman Catholic in the first place?

Was it simply a sort of thumbs up to the rest of Catholic Europe to go ahead and launch attacks against the "heathen" on the English throne with the full approval of the Holy See?

Thank you, very interesting! But what I don't understand is how the pope could excommunicate someone who was not Roman Catholic in the first place?

Was it simply a sort of thumbs up to the rest of Catholic Europe to go ahead and launch attacks against the "heathen" on the English throne with the full approval of the Holy See?

Elizabeth attended Mass during Mary I’ s reign, so I assume that, at least for a while, she was in communion with the Catholic Church.

From The Catholic Encyclopedia, under the heading "Who can be excommunicated?":

"With the foregoing exceptions, all who have been baptized are liable to excommunication, even those who have never belonged to the true Church, since by their baptism they are really her subjects, though of course rebellious ones."

In other words, the Pope regarded all baptized Christians, Roman Catholic or not, to be his subjects.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Excommunication

From The Catholic Encyclopedia, under the heading "Who can be excommunicated?":

"With the foregoing exceptions, all who have been baptized are liable to excommunication, even those who have never belonged to the true Church, since by their baptism they are really her subjects, though of course rebellious ones."

In other words, the Pope regarded all baptized Christians, Roman Catholic or not, to be his subjects.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Excommunication

Being properly baptized using the Trinitarian formula...just for clarity.

LaRae

In 998 Robert II of France and his wife Bertha of Burgundy were both excommunicated by Pope Gregory V who was against the union as they were too closely related in his eyes ,after his death Pope Sylvester II annuled the union and both of them were reinstated!

Pope Innocent III (in office 1198-1216) rejected the Archbishop of Canterbury, who had been nominated by King John of England. During the ensuing hostilities the King was excommunicated. John had the punishment removed by paying a tribute of 1,000 marks.

Rita Hayworth married Muslim Prince Aly Khan and the wedding caused a scandal: the Vatican excommunicated her and many boycotted her films. In this period Rita decided to leave Hollywood to devote herself to her family.

But she never converted to Islam, did she?

I didn't know Rita had been excommunicated for the Aly Khan marriage.

In any case the ban must have been lifted by the time of her death. She was buried in a Catholic cemetery with Catholic burial rites.

I don't think the Vatican were too pleased but I didn't think she was excommunicated and did not convert to Islam.

I'm not sure if her daughter Yasmin was raised a Muslim or a Catholic or maybe both!

Rita never converted to Islam.
Aly Khan offered her $1million if Yasmin was raised Islamic.

The screen legend refused, saying: “Nothing will make me give up Yasmin’s chance to live here in America among our precious freedoms and habits.”

Yasmin was brought up Catholic as Hollywood royalty, spending summers with her father in the South of France.

:previous: I always thought Yasmin was raised Muslim?

I thought was mainly raised by her mother ,she was 10 when her father died and her mother wanted her to be brought up RC,who knows!

Judith of Flanders was the daughter of Charles the Bald, Holy Roman Emperor who reigned 875 to 877. In 861/862 she married Baldwin of Flanders. She did not have her father's permission. The Frankish bishops excommunicated her.

Judith of Flanders was the daughter of Charles the Bald, Holy Roman Emperor who reigned 875 to 877. In 861/862 she married Baldwin of Flanders. She did not have her father's permission. The Frankish bishops excommunicated her.

It was later lifted by Pope Nicholas I :previous:

Back
Top Bottom