The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Nobility

I will stop if people find these little odd facts sickening but I certainly don't think that
Quote:
Prince Rainier III of Monaco went on a pilgrimage to Lourdes to pray for a good wife. Within two years he married Grace Kelly who, at the age of 12, had taken the visionary of Lourdes as her patron saint.
is in any way sick or should be included with the rest of them you cited. Even those who do not "believe" should not think that's sick or in any way akin to pedophiles and perverts. The XIII Dalai Lama, keep in mind, had very limited information about the wider world outsite Tibet and his prediction said nothing about the character of Hitler, just that he would have a major impact on the world and I don't think anyone can deny that he did have a major (dreadful) impact.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Majesty

The last Holy King of Mongolia would hang an electric wire over the wall of his palace.Pilgrims would touch it,get a shock,and thought they had received a blessing.

The last Holy King of Mongolia has me in stitches

Old 05-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

The British did not release the body of Napoleon Bonaparte to the French until twenty days after his death.

How did they deal with the smell that the body probably emaneted?

Catherine the First of Russia, made a rule that no man was allowed to get drunk at one of her parties before nine o'clock.

Way to go, Catherine!

One of Queen Victoria's wedding gifts was a 3 metre diameter, half tonne cheese.

Weird and funny. I can imagine the cheese

Queen Victoria was one of the first women ever to use chloroform to combat pain during childbirth.

Sort of a visionary

Ethelred the Unready, King of England in the Tenth-century, spent his wedding night in bed with his wife and his mother-in-law.

Oh My! How could he?!

Prince Florestan I of Monaco was an actor, totally out of his element as a monarch and was eager to abdicate in favor his son Charles III.

So the artistic thing was going on before Grace came in?

Prince Rainier III of Monaco went on a pilgrimage to Lourdes to pray for a good wife. Within two years he married Grace Kelly who, at the age of 12, had taken the visionary of Lourdes as her patron saint.

I love this one. It's like they were meant to be
Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Gentry

Location: Her Royal Highness lives in Beverly Hills California, United States
WoW! these facts are insane, except the one with Prince Rainer of monaco and princess grace they were destined for each other.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The hobby of king Boris of Bulgaria was: trains. Not minature trains, but he liked to drive in real ones.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

I never heard of it either but i love it..kind of like destiny
Old 05-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
  • After the USA dropped 2 atomic bombs on Japan the Emperor Hirohito announced to his people that the war situation had developed in a way, "not necissarily to Japan's advantage".
  • While hunting King James I of England was fond of cutting the dead animals open and smearing himself and his courtiers with the innards.
The first; is rather humourous yet hopeless at the same time.
The second; is rather awful.
x
Old 06-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Gentry

Peter I of Russia

The late British actor Oliver Reed claimed to be descended from a natural daughter of Czar Peter I of Russia ! In his book "Reed all about me" he said that the daughter was born while Peter was in London.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Royal Highness

About Bones' comment about James I cutting animals open. I think it's traditional for hunters making their first kill of a deer to be blooded (have the animals blood put on their faces) in England, at least. Not sure about elsewhere, and I can't speak for the rest of James I's behavior.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
The last Holy King of Mongolia would hang an electric wire over the wall of his palace.Pilgrims would touch it,get a shock,and thought they had received a blessing.

The last Holy King of Mongolia has me in stitches
Hilarious! What a blessing!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The hobby of king Boris of Bulgaria was: trains. Not minature trains, but he liked to drive in real ones.
And his nephews, as one of them, Prince Heinrich of Hesse, once told, really enjoied with the uncle who drove trains...

He also rememberd when, an evening when his parents, Princes Philipp and Mafalda, had to go to a party, he and his older brother Moritz were taking a bath; Princess Mafalda entered in the bathroom to greeting them, and...in the end she took the bath together with her sons, totally evening dressed and wearing also her jewels! Meanwhile Prince Philipp was waiting...
Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Nobility

quite true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
the late duke of windsor, recounted -

that whilst he was king (edward VIII), he was taking his leave of king boris and brother prince kyril, (whom he had travelled with on his train from sofia, to the yugoslavian frontier) the farewells was somewhat less perfunctory. the cause being that the two brothers could not agree as which one of them, should drive the train back to sofia, for like the bulgarian monarch his brother also had a passion for driving trains.

both brothers were later murdered
the king, in 1943 . it was said he was poisoned by hitler ?
prince kyril in 1945, by communists.

thus the old king / tsar "foxy" ferdinand, who died forgotten in coburg in 1948, had seen both his sons murdered and his work in bulgaria come to nothing, for his grandson king simeon was forced into exile in 1946 !!!! .
Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Aristocracy

i heard that Queen Elizabeth II is only person in UK who doesn't have any surname.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Gentry

Berengaria, wife of Richard I King of England never set foot on English soil.

Alfonso de Bourbon ,father of the "Legitimist" pretender to the French throne , was decapited in a skiing accident in 1989, oddly enough on January 30th , the 340th anniversary of the decapitation of his ancestor King Charles I of England.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Royal Highness

History of the yardstick and the king of England

I was minding my own business today, watching a show about quilting which featured a segment about the history of yardsticks. The yardstick authority said that today's yardstick was invented by King Igor (spelling?) in England, who arbitrarily set the length and preserved the stick in Windsor Castle. The king made the stick available so that other people could come and make their own sticks to the appropriate length.

I thought, this can't be... who was King Igor? And how did he gain access to Windsor Castle? I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on the kings of England since the building of Windsor Castle, so who was this person???

Authorities, please give me the correct scoop!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Here's a quote from the National Physical Laboratory:

As early as the middle of the tenth century it is believed that the Saxon king Edgar (959-975) kept a "yardstick" at Winchester as the official standard of measurement.
A traditional tale tells the story of Henry I (1100-1135) who decreed that the yard should be "the distance from the tip of the King's nose to the end of his outstretched thumb".

For "Igor" read Edgar, for "Windsor" read Winchester.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you, Warren. I wonder if I should alert the "expert", who is by all appearances a very nice lady. But I do hate it when people have bad information...
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Post King Richard III

The decisive battle of the war of the roses was the Battle of Bosworth Field at which King Richard III led nearly 8,000 into battle against the forces of Henry Tudor. King Richard III had a hunch in his back and a whithered arm, and so had special armor made for him so that he could ride into battle. During the fray, Richard was knocked from his horse-which quickly ran away and exclaimed the famous phrase "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" Being unable to truly defend himself without the benefit of a horse, Richard was soon captured, then drawn and quartered there on the field. His limbs were spread to the farthest reaches of the battle.
Soon after the tale of his defeat would spread far and wide, and as was customary in the day for those who told the story to remember it, a short poem was created.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the king's horses and all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:10 PM

Caligula appointed his horse “Incitatus” for consul and priest.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazythedayaway View Post
The decisive battle of the war of the roses was the Battle of Bosworth Field at which King Richard III led nearly 8,000 into battle against the forces of Henry Tudor. King Richard III had a hunch in his back and a whithered arm, and so had special armor made for him so that he could ride into battle. During the fray, Richard was knocked from his horse-which quickly ran away and exclaimed the famous phrase "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" Being unable to truly defend himself without the benefit of a horse, Richard was soon captured, then drawn and quartered there on the field. His limbs were spread to the farthest reaches of the battle.
Soon after the tale of his defeat would spread far and wide, and as was customary in the day for those who told the story to remember it, a short poem was created.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the king's horses and all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
I remember to have read that Richard III was recognized in the battle because of he demanded to wear his crown, so he was an easy mark (and in fact he was killed there...)