Curious & Interesting Royal Facts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The hobby of king Boris of Bulgaria was: trains. Not minature trains, but he liked to drive in real ones.
And his nephews, as one of them, Prince Heinrich of Hesse, once told, really enjoied with the uncle who drove trains...

He also rememberd when, an evening when his parents, Princes Philipp and Mafalda, had to go to a party, he and his older brother Moritz were taking a bath; Princess Mafalda entered in the bathroom to greeting them, and...in the end she took the bath together with her sons, totally evening dressed and wearing also her jewels! Meanwhile Prince Philipp was waiting...

quite true

The hobby of king Boris of Bulgaria was: trains. Not minature trains, but he liked to drive in real ones.

the late duke of windsor, recounted -

that whilst he was king (edward VIII), he was taking his leave of king boris and brother prince kyril, (whom he had travelled with on his train from sofia, to the yugoslavian frontier) the farewells was somewhat less perfunctory. the cause being that the two brothers could not agree as which one of them, should drive the train back to sofia, for like the bulgarian monarch his brother also had a passion for driving trains.

both brothers were later murdered
the king, in 1943 . it was said he was poisoned by hitler ?
prince kyril in 1945, by communists.

thus the old king / tsar "foxy" ferdinand, who died forgotten in coburg in 1948, had seen both his sons murdered and his work in bulgaria come to nothing, for his grandson king simeon was forced into exile in 1946 !!!! .

i heard that Queen Elizabeth II is only person in UK who doesn't have any surname.

Berengaria, wife of Richard I King of England never set foot on English soil.

Alfonso de Bourbon ,father of the "Legitimist" pretender to the French throne , was decapited in a skiing accident in 1989, oddly enough on January 30th , the 340th anniversary of the decapitation of his ancestor King Charles I of England.

Last edited by a moderator:
History of the yardstick and the king of England

I was minding my own business today, watching a show about quilting which featured a segment about the history of yardsticks. The yardstick authority said that today's yardstick was invented by King Igor (spelling?) in England, who arbitrarily set the length and preserved the stick in Windsor Castle. The king made the stick available so that other people could come and make their own sticks to the appropriate length.

I thought, this can't be... who was King Igor? And how did he gain access to Windsor Castle? I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on the kings of England since the building of Windsor Castle, so who was this person???

Authorities, please give me the correct scoop!

Here's a quote from the National Physical Laboratory:

As early as the middle of the tenth century it is believed that the Saxon king Edgar (959-975) kept a "yardstick" at Winchester as the official standard of measurement.
A traditional tale tells the story of Henry I (1100-1135) who decreed that the yard should be "the distance from the tip of the King's nose to the end of his outstretched thumb".

For "Igor" read Edgar, for "Windsor" read Winchester.

Thank you, Warren. I wonder if I should alert the "expert", who is by all appearances a very nice lady. But I do hate it when people have bad information...

King Richard III

The decisive battle of the war of the roses was the Battle of Bosworth Field at which King Richard III led nearly 8,000 into battle against the forces of Henry Tudor. King Richard III had a hunch in his back and a whithered arm, and so had special armor made for him so that he could ride into battle. During the fray, Richard was knocked from his horse-which quickly ran away and exclaimed the famous phrase "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" Being unable to truly defend himself without the benefit of a horse, Richard was soon captured, then drawn and quartered there on the field. His limbs were spread to the farthest reaches of the battle.
Soon after the tale of his defeat would spread far and wide, and as was customary in the day for those who told the story to remember it, a short poem was created.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the king's horses and all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

The decisive battle of the war of the roses was the Battle of Bosworth Field at which King Richard III led nearly 8,000 into battle against the forces of Henry Tudor. King Richard III had a hunch in his back and a whithered arm, and so had special armor made for him so that he could ride into battle. During the fray, Richard was knocked from his horse-which quickly ran away and exclaimed the famous phrase "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" Being unable to truly defend himself without the benefit of a horse, Richard was soon captured, then drawn and quartered there on the field. His limbs were spread to the farthest reaches of the battle.
Soon after the tale of his defeat would spread far and wide, and as was customary in the day for those who told the story to remember it, a short poem was created.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the king's horses and all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
I remember to have read that Richard III was recognized in the battle because of he demanded to wear his crown, so he was an easy mark (and in fact he was killed there...)

• Czar Peter I (the Great) of Russia was seven feet tall
  • Czar Peter I used real boys his own age to practice war games as a child; some were killed.
  • Queen Victoria did not know she was to inherit the English throne until age 11; it was kept from her until then
  • Queen Victoria's cousin Princess Charlotte was married to her maternal uncle, King Leopold I of Belgium
  • The queen's first given name was actually Alexandrina, for Czar Alexander I of Russia; her godfather.

• Czar Peter I used real boys his own age to practice war games as a child; some were killed.

How awful of thr Tsar.

Queen Victoria did not know she was to inherit the English throne until age 11; it was kept from her until then
Queen Victoria's cousin Princess Charlotte was married to her maternal uncle, King Leopold I of Belgium

I knew about her not knowing she was the heiress.

For Charlotte to of married her uncle, means that her mother, Caroline of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel would have to of been the brother of King Leopold I.
Caroline had 7 siblings none of them were Leopold.
Leopold had 9 siblings none of them were Caroline. :)

i heard that Queen Elizabeth II is only person in UK who doesn't have any surname.

She does its Windsor.

Didn't realize that Peter the Great of Russia was 7 feet tall (tallest royal ever?).

And who was more sicko: Tiberius or Caligula?

For Charlotte to of married her uncle, means that her mother, Caroline of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel would have to of been the brother of King Leopold I.
Caroline had 7 siblings none of them were Leopold.
Leopold had 9 siblings none of them were Caroline. :)

Charlotte did not marry her own uncle, but Victoria's uncle; Leopold I was the youngest brother of the Duchess of Kent.

Charlotte did not marry her own uncle, but Victoria's uncle; Leopold I was the youngest brother of the Duchess of Kent.

So her mothers uncle, not her uncle on her mothers side. :)

So her mothers uncle, not her uncle on her mothers side. :)

:eek: am lost here....Leopold was her (QV) uncle on her mothers (Duchess of Kent) side and not great uncle (mothers uncle).....:whistling: ......the Duchess and Leopold are brother and sister ! :flowers:

:eek: am lost here....Leopold was her (QV) uncle on her mothers (Duchess of Kent) side and not great uncle (mothers uncle).....:whistling: ......the Duchess and Leopold are brother and sister ! :flowers:

Yes I know.
Leslie2006 put "maternal uncle"
in my mind that means uncle on the mothers side, so mothers brother.

I understand that she was talking about QV before, but didn't mention her in that fact, which is why i got confused.

Interesting story I've read in a few royal books:
While touring the United States with his parents 1958, then Crown Prince Constantine of Greece visited ex King Simeon II of Bulgaria at the Valley Forge Military Academy in Pennsylvania where the latter was studying. Constantine and Simeon went out for a drive and they got pulled over for speeding.
The officer asked the driver, "What's you name?"
"Crown Prince Constantine of Greece."
"And you friend?" demands the officer.
"King Simeon of Bulgaria."
The officer responds, "And I'm J. Edgar Hoover!"

^hehe, that's nice. He wasn't afraid to say his name after those important names!

Something similar happened years ago to the recently dead Winston Spencer-Churchill, the grandson of the most famous British Prime Minister; he was visiting the british troops in a country in the Middle East, and he introduced himself to an officer using his name, Winston Churchill; the officer replied him "Yes, and I am Rommel".

• Though George III had 15 children, he only had 8 legitimate grandchildren. At one point, he had 12 surviving children, all over 40 years old, and not a single legitimate grandchild.
  • King Edward VIII was styled 8 different ways throughout his life.
  • Though he only had two children, every reigning European monarchy is descended from John William Friso, Prince of Orange.
  • James VII is the only James of Scotland to ascend to the throne after his 18th birthday.
  • Charles I was the first Sovereign of Scotland to ascend to the throne as an adult since 1390.

The longest reigning consort to a king or emperor was Nagako, Empress Kojun, the wife of Hirohito throughout his 62 year reign. However, Queen Sirikit of Thailand is less than two years from eclipsing her record.

The longest reigning European consort is a current one: Prince Philip. Just last year, he passed George III's queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

The oldest European monarch at his or her accession was Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden. He became King on October 29, 1950 less than a month shy of his 68th birthday! Gustaf succeeded his 92-year-old father, and himself lived another 22 years to reach the age of 90. (There have been older new kings in the Middle East, such as the Saudis.)

My source is some really thorough research on Wikipedia, literally going through the king lists.

Peter The Great and Ivan The Terrible both killed their heirs.

Which is so strange, Xenia. Every time I read that, or go back through Russian history (which I love to study), I'm still so shocked by that fact.

And Dralcoffin, interesting fact about Prince Philip too, I did not know that.

Great thread!

Every queen named Jane has either been murdered, imprisoned, gone mad, died young, or been dethroned.

At the court of Louis XIV, prestige was measured by the height of the chair one was allowed to sit in. Only the King and Queen could sit in chairs with arms.

King George I of England couldn't speak a word of English. His native tongue was German (he came from Hanover, Germany); he communicated with his cabinet in French.

John Hancock signed his name in extra-large letters on the Declaration of Independence not out of self-esteem but so that King George III, notoriously poor-sighted, could read it without the aid of spectacles.

Louis XIV of France, the Sun King, had Jewish blood. It came to him through the bloodline of the Aragons of Spain, to whom he was related.

Hirohito has published several books on ichthyology (the study of fish) and is considered an expert on the subject.

Henry VIII's second wife, Anne Boleyn, had six fingers on one hand. She wore special gloves all her life to hide her deformity.
Louis XIV owned 413 beds.

The longest indoor corridor in the world is the Grande Galerie in the Louvre, built in 1607 by Henry IV of France. On rainy days the King would clear the entire passageway, move trees, rocks, and grass turf inside, and stage a fox hunt with his entire court down the middle of the corridor.

The Pekingese dog was considered sacred among Chinese Royalty. At the court of Li Hsui, one of the last Manchu queens, all court Pekingese had human wet nurses. Each dog had its own eunuch to protect it from other dogs; some even had private palaces, complete with servants.

An average dinner eaten by King Louis XIV of France; four plates of soup, a whole pheasant, a whole partridge, two slices of ham, a salad, mutton with garlic, pastry, fruit, and hardboiled eggs. At his death it was discovered that the King's stomach was twice the size of a normal stomach.

Cleopatra tested the efficacy of her poisons by giving them to slaves.

In the harem of Mughal kings in India, ladies of royal blood changed their garments several times a day and never put them on again. The once-used costumes were given to the slaves.

Queen Elizabeth I of England was completely bald. She lost her hair after suffering smallpox at the age of twenty-nine. To disguise her loss she always wore a wig, thus creating a vogue for wigs in Europe that lasted several hundred years.

Elizabeth I of England owned 3,000 gowns.

The sixteenth-century Indian emperor Akbar often used real dancing girls as chess pieces and an entire garden as a chessboard. Akbar sat high in a marble tower calling each move from his throne and watching the beautiful living pieces whirl from square to square. Two centuries later, in Madras, India, visitors witnessed an equally remarkable sight in the court of the maharajah—chessmen over 25 feet tall, mounted on wheeled platforms and pulled across a giant chessboard by teams of fifty men.

When Louis XIV and Marie-Thérèse were awakened in the morning, if the Queen sat up after the curtains had been parted and clapped her hands, the servants knew that the King had performed his royal duty the night before—intercourse with the Queen.

It is said that Vitellus, Emperor of Rome briefly in 69 A.D., spent over £1,200 a day on food alone. He was capable of downing 1,000 oysters a day as well as vast quantities of other delicacies. After a short reign he was deposed by the Roman citizens, driven to revolt by the excesses of their emperor, and his body was dumped in the River Tiber.

The largest king's ransom in history was raised by Richard I the Lion-Hearted to obtain his release from Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI in 1194. The English people had to pay nearly 150,000 marks to free their king.

King Richard the Lion-Hearted of England spent only six months of his ten-year reign in England, being there only briefly in 1189 and 1194. Much of his reign was spent either on the Third Crusade or in France.

King Christina of Sweden (all Swedish monarchs were given the title of King regardless of gender; only the spouse of a monarch would be called Queen) was so terrified of fleas that she ordered the construction of a tiny 10 centimetre long cannon so that she could fire miniature cannonballs at the fleas that infested the royal bedchamber. It is not known whether she ever managed to hit any.

King Louis XIV of France hated washing. He took only three baths during his lifetime (1638–1715).

Such an amusing thread, a lot of entertaining facts I did not know :flowers:

With 9 children, good thing she did not die of kidney damage.

I believe that she only used "that blessed chloroform" at the birth of Princess Beatrice, her youngest daughter.

The size of your dress in the 1700s would tell how rich you were.

Back
Top Bottom