Curious & Interesting Royal Facts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was it smaller it was the richer you were or was it the opposite?

Fatness was a sign of wealth. The more money you had the more food you had.

LaRae

History Of Royals

Could we use this link to discuss interesting facts we find out about royal history . Not sure if there already is a link . I have been watching the BBC programme The History of Wales .... Some fascinating facts about the ancient welsh kings and Princes of Wales .

Attachments

• image-1568169144.jpg
    image-1568169144.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 338
The monarchy has occurred along with the alphabet and the army !
The firs king is Nemrud or Nimrod .

Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria enjoyed studying heraldry.
He was fascinated with new technologies and farming.

King Henry VIII of England owned over 2,500 tapestries.
It was in Florence that Mary of Teck (Queen Consort of George V of Great Britain) began to develop her love for the fine arts and antiques.

Queen Anne of England's husband was Prince George.
Prince George's frequent exclamations of surprise earned him the nickname "Est-il possible?" ("Is it possible?)

In King Edward VII's opinion there was a suitable manner of dress for every conceivable occasion, even on board a royal yacht where Edward scolded a minister who wore knee-breeches instead of trousers.

At Lypiatt Manor House Princess Michael of Kent has planted a rose maze of her own design containing six thousand roses.

King Louis XIV of France loved flowers, particularly those with a strong perfume.
The gardener Le Bouteux was in search of rare essences to satisfy the wishes of the King.

King Charles II of England enjoyed tennis and a croquet-like game called pall mall.

King Charles II of England was the first monarch to have his own yacht.
The yacht was called The Royal Escape.

King Charles II of England was interested in science.
He had his own laboratory in Whitehall Palace.

When he was newly married, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, enjoyed getting away from the formalities of the Palace.
His valet John Dean recalled that "the Prince enjoyed taking his coat off for such tasks as hanging pictures and moving chairs to wherever the Princess thought they would look best".

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Charles and Camilla being delivered by the same doctor & nurse.

Nicholas I of Russia and his wife, Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, were the first Nicholas and Alexandra on the throne.

King Louis XVI and King Gustavus III of Sweden regarded themselves as "the first gentleman" of their realms.

From the Renaissance onward, rulers of German principalities commissioned works of art in silver as status symbols.

I'm not sure what the best topic would be but hope this one will suffice (as I want to avoid detracting the discussion in prince Charles' birth topic).

Tatiana Maria mentioned European royals (heirs) of the same generation, so I figured I would see what might be a logical way to group them together.

Previous generation (1895 - 1909):
(George VI of the UK (1895))
(Charlotte of Luxembourg (1896))
(Frederick IX of Denmark (1899))
(Leopold of Belgium (1901))
(Olav V of Norway (1905))
(Franz Joseph II of Liechtenstein (1906))
(Juliana of the Netherlands (1909))

The 'in-betweens' of the 20's (1921 - 1926):
(Jean of Luxembourg (1921))
(Rainier of Monaco (1923))
C. Elizabeth of the UK (1926)

Undecided: (Badouin of Belgium (1930)) - right in-between the youngest of the in-between (Elizabeth) and the eldest of the next generation (his younger brother Albert).

Elder generation (1934 - 1947) (including 2 subsets and an early one):
1. Albert of Belgium (b. 1934)
2. Juan Carlos of Spain (b. 1937)
3. Beatrix of the Netherlands (b. 1937)
4. Harald of Norway (b. 1937)
5. Margrethe of Denmark (b. 1940)

6. Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein (b. 1945)
7. Carl Gustaf of Sweden (b. 1946)
8. Charles of the United Kingdom (b. 1947)

The 'in-betweens' of the 50's (1955 - 1960):
A. Henri of Luxembourg (b. 1955)
B. Albert of Monaco (b. 1958)
C. Philippe of Belgium (b. 1960)

Middle generation (1967 - 1982):
1. Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands (b. 1967)
2. Felipe of Spain (b. 1968)
3. Frederik of Denmark (b. 1968)
4. Alois of Liechtenstein (b. 1968)

5. Haakon of Norway (b. 1973)
6. Victoria of Sweden (b. 1977)
7. Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1981)
8. William of the United Kingdom (b. 1982)

The 'in-between' of the 90's:
A. Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein (b. 1995)

The youngest generation (2001 - 2014; with two distinct subsets: 2001 - 2005 & 2012-2014):
1. Elisabeth of Belgium (b. 2001)
2. Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands (b. 2003)
3. Ingrid Alexandra of Norway (b. 2004)
4. Christian of Denmark (b. 2005)
5. Leonor of Spain (b. 2005)

6. Estelle of Sweden (b. 2012)
7. George of the United Kingdom (b. 2013)
8. Jacques of Monaco (b. 2014)

The latest 'in-between':
A. Charles of Luxembourg (b. 2020)

I've applied the (arbitrary) rule that each 'generation' should consist of max 15 years and hold a majority of the European heirs; and there should be at least 15 years between generations (this rule does not apply for the 'in-betweens - who would be at least 5 years older/younger than the 'main generations').

Last edited:
I love this kind of data/information! What's the bolding and italics for on some individuals?

I love this kind of data/information! What's the bolding and italics for on some individuals?
I tried to identify the 'core group' of each generation. About (3-)4 people all born within a few years from each other; in the case of multiple subsets I used italics for the less numerous one.

In 1551 King Edward VI of England had a law passed that stipulated that everybody had to walk to church on Christmas Day when they attend a church service.

:xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::xmasbell::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly:

Back
Top Bottom