Catholic Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeatrixFan

Majesty , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to compile a list of all the catholic royals, reigning and non reigning - can anyone add to the list?

HM King Juan Carlos of Spain
HM Queen Sofia of Spain
HRH The Prince of Asturias
HRH The Princess of Asturias
HRH The Duchess of Kent
HRH Princess Michael of Kent

Those are the ones I know for definate. Can anyone add?

BeatrixFan said:
I am trying to compile a list of all the catholic royals, reigning and non reigning - can anyone add to the list?

HM King Juan Carlos of Spain
HM Queen Sofia of Spain
HRH The Prince of Asturias
HRH The Princess of Asturias
HRH The Duchess of Kent
HRH Princess Michael of Kent

Those are the ones I know for definate. Can anyone add?

the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxebourg and their children

the king and queen of Belgium
Queen Fabiola
The Duke and Duchess of Brabant
Prince Laurent and Princess Claire
Princess Astrid and Arch Duke Lorenz

Princess Maxima
Princess Marilene
Princess Anita
Princesss Aimee

Thanks Lis -

HM King Albert II
HM Queen Paola
HM Queen Fabiola
HRH The Duke of Brabant
HRH The Duchess of Brabant
HRH Princess Elizabeth
HRH Prince Gabriel
HRH Prince Emmanuel
HIRH Princess Astrid
HIRH Prince Lorenz
HIRH Prince Amadeo
HIRH Princess Maria Laura
HIRH Prince Joachim
HIRH Prince Luisa Maria
HIRH Prince Laetitia Maria
HRH Prince Laurent
HRH Princess Claire
HRH Princess Louise

are all Catholic?

the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxebourg and their children?

Is Grand Duke Jean and was Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte Catholic?

yes they are (or were, Josephine Charlotte's case).

- Princesses Irene and Christina of The Netherlands
- The reigning houses of Liechtenstein and Monaco (Belgium, Luxembourg and Spain)
- The former reigning houses of Austria, Tuscany and Modena (Habsburg), France (Orleans, Napoleon, Bourbon), Brazil (Orleans-Braganca), Portugal (Braganca), Italy (Savoy, Savoy-Aosta), Parma (Bourbon-Parma), The Two Sicilies (Bourbon-Two-Sicilies, Hohenzollern (Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen), Wurttemberg (Wurttemberg), Bavaria (Wittelsbach), Saxony (Wettin).

- The mediatised houses of: Arenberg, Auersperg, Castell (partly), Colloredo u. Mansfeld, Croy, Esterhazy, Fugger, Furstenberg, Harrach, Hohenlohe (partly), Isenburg, Khevenmuller-Metsch, Konigsegg-Aulendorf, Kuefstein, Leyen, Looz & Corswarem, Lowenstein, Metternich, Neipperg, Oettingen (partly), Orsini & Rosenberg, Ortenburg (partly), Pappenheim, Quadt, Rechberg, Salm (partly), Sayn (partly), Schaesberg, Schonborn, Schonburg, Schwarzenberg, Thurn u. Taxis, Toerring (partly), Trauttmansdorff, Walbott von Bassenheim, Waldburg, Windisch-Graetz, Wurmbrand-Stuppach.

I don't know if Birgitta of Sweden (sister of the King) has converted, she is married to a catholic prince (of Hohenzollern). I believe the house of Saxe-Meiningen is catholic these days as well, although it was traditionally a protestant family.

Thanks Marengo!

Are King Michael and Queen Anne of Romania Catholic or Orthodox?

And the House of Liechtenstein too! :)

King Michael is orthodox. His wife remained catholic I believe. I remember reading that her mother, Princes Margaretha of Parma (nee Denmark) went to the Vatican to get permission for this marriage, which was declined.

The Duchess of Kent is Catholic.

so are Prince Albert, Princess Stephanie and Princess Caroline (and Andrea, Char and Pierre).

The youngest son of the Duchess, Lord Nicholas Windsor is catholic as well, so is her daughter-in-law, the Countess of St.Andrews.

The former Italian Royal Family - Savoys, and their cousins, the The Aosta family - The Duke and Duchess of Calabria, the Prince and Princess of Two Sicilies.

The Bourbon-Parma's

All the former French Royals - Bourbon, Orleans, and Napolean families.

Lady Marmalade said:
The former Italian Royal Family - Savoys, and their cousins, the The Aosta family - The Duke and Duchess of Calabria, the Prince and Princess of Two Sicilies.

The Bourbon-Parma's

All the former French Royals - Bourbon, Orleans, and Napolean families.

The Duke of Aosta has an odd way to comply with the Catholic Church principles, as he's having a child of his latest mistress, an Italo-Dutch Duchess. He said this in an interview to the Italian edition of "Vanity Fair".
Then he abandoned this lady and went back to his second wife.
In retaliation the Duchess gave an interview to the state-run TV. Noblesse oblige!
Amedeo is reported to have several illegitimate children as well.

BeatrixFan said:

may I ask to what possible use you might put such a list?

Well PollyEmma, it's more a personal note of who's on my side as it were! I knew that Queen Sofia and Queen Fabiola were catholic for example and so without going too much into it, I kept them in my prayers. Now, I don't intend to speil a list off to God each night who I am sure has better things to do with his time, but its of interest to me to know.

ah, a list of who'll have your back in a fight;)

always good to know...

I should make a list of protestant royals who will be on MY side should the 30 years war ever resume.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
Well PollyEmma, it's more a personal note of who's on my side as it were!.

Good idea for the thread Beatrixfan! :) I am also Catholic so yes, it's interesting to know which of the royals are.

I don't think there has to be a "point" to this thread because really, what's the point of any thread? It's all just for fun and for sharing information.

Tosca said:
The Duke of Aosta has an odd way to comply with the Catholic Church principles, as he's having a child of his latest mistress, an Italo-Dutch Duchess. He said this in an interview to the Italian edition of "Vanity Fair".
Then he abandoned this lady and went back to his second wife.
In retaliation the Duchess gave an interview to the state-run TV. Noblesse oblige!
Amedeo is reported to have several illegitimate children as well.

I didn't know this Tosca, who is the duchess he made pregnant and is she still married to her husband? What is his title anyway? Did the duke of Aosta also abandon/cheated on his first wife, Chantal of France?

I hope Olga of Greece knows where she is getting herself into. When will she marry Amedeo (as the wedding was postponed)?

The Royal Family of Lesotho are Catholics and in Polynesia the Royal Families of Uvea, Sigave and Alo are also Catholics.

Marengo said:
I didn't know this Tosca, who is the duchess he made pregnant and is she still married to her husband? What is his title anyway? Did the duke of Aosta also abandon/cheated on his first wife, Chantal of France?

I hope Olga of Greece knows where she is getting herself into. When will she marry Amedeo (as the wedding was postponed)?

His marriage with Claude (and not Chantal) of France was annulled an he married again with an Italian aristocrat, donna Silvia Paterno di Spedalotto.

Many believed the marriage of Olga and Aimone was postponed because of the duke of Aosta to be father again.

Thanks for the information, it's very interesting. I always mix up Chantal and Claude, but Chatal is indeed the younger sister who married the Baron Sambucy de Sorgue.
Let's hope it is the only reason for the postponement, as I like the two as a couple.

Marengo said:
Thanks for the information, it's very interesting. I always mix up Chantal and Claude, but Chatal is indeed the younger sister who married the Baron Sambucy de Sorgue.
Let's hope it is the only reason for the postponement, as I like the two as a couple.

The other reason is said to be the will of the two families of a grand and royal wedding in Torino.

Princess Máxima of the Netherlands is catholic, but she has to raise her childen in the protestant religion.

Marilene is also Catholic. her kids were baptized twice. once protestant, once catholic.

Marengo said:

Well, I'm not much a fan of the Savoia family. I heard the news accidentally on the Italian TV. The name of the Italo -Dutch duchess he made pregnant is Kyara van Ellinkhuizen ( I hope to have spelled it correctly ). She must be in her mid 40s, if I'm not mistaken. She has a daughter, who's now 15, from a previous marriage and she was in a relationship with a movie director of noble stock before meeting Amedeo on a train. She works as a movie director too. A couple of her short films were also awarded prizes. However, like most Italians I had never heard of her before.

Amedeo title is His Royal Highness the Duke of Savoia - Aosta

As far as I know Amedeo has had at least one son from one of his mistresses while he was still married to Claude of France. However there's nothing official, but this young man is identical to his son Aimone.

I didn't know his son's marriage was postponed though, I must have missed something: I was ironing, when I heard about the Kyara story:) :D

Lady Marmalade said:
Milla grazie, Tosca. :)

Prego, non c'è di che! You're welcome!:)

when do you say baptize, and when christened?? is there difference?

Back
Top Bottom