Catholic Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahem, this thread is about discussing/listing Catholic royals. The theological off-topic discussion, can it be taken elsewhere?

Norwegianne

Re;

I never oppose for opposing's sake but always with good reasons for me. But as you're not trying to change my mind, I won't try to change yours
That wasn't aimed at you Danielane!

Last edited by a moderator:
As the pointer to getting back on topic has been ignored, anything digressing from "Catholic Royals" will be deleted.

Warren

mirsada said:
CP Mary of Denmark (was)
Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary of Denmark was a Presbyterian, not a Catholic. She then converted to become a Lutheran.

Von Schlesian said:
Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary of Denmark was a Presbyterian, not a Catholic. She then converted to become a Lutheran.

No she wasn't, she was Protestant.

Layla1971 said:
No she wasn't, she was Protestant.
Layla, Presbyterians and Lutherans ARE Protestant.

Warren said:
Layla, Presbyterians and Lutherans ARE Protestant.

Well, who knows these things! :p But, on ALL the news reports and articles about her, they've only said she was "Protestant" before becoming "Lutheran". So, I didn't know!
BTW, Sorry Von Shelesian!

Layla1971 said:
Well, who knows these things! :p But, on ALL the news reports and articles about her, they've only said she was "Protestant" before becoming "Lutheran". So, I didn't know!

Lutheran is universally recognized as a protestant denomination.

I've read in many different places that Mary was raised presbyterian. though, i guess a lot of people aren't too familiar with that term. (and it does sound a lot like protestant ;) ) it stuck in my mind because that's what I am.

pollyemma said:
I've read in many different places that Mary was raised presbyterian. though, i guess a lot of people aren't too familiar with that term.
We have the Church of England in England, and the Presbyterian Church in Scotland; like the Scots this church is a bit more dour. Mary comes from a Scottish background (remember her father's kilt at the wedding?) so her being Presbyterian should come as no surprise.

Last edited:
Warren said:
We have the Church of England in England, and the Presbyterian Church in Scotland; like the Scots this church is a bit morer dour. Mary comes from a Scottish background (remember her father's kilt at the wedding?) so her being Presbyterian should come as no surprise.

dour? that hurts me:rolleyes:

And then there's the Quakers. Famous for their porridge oats.

Warren said:
the Presbyterian Church in Scotland; like the Scots this church is a bit more dour. Mary comes from a Scottish background (remember her father's kilt at the wedding?) so her being Presbyterian should come as no surprise.

The Scots are anything but dour and anyway, the Catholic Church is Scotland's largest religion.

See! A religion thread is necessary to help us to understand each other! I'm from Australia and never new Presbyterian was a Scottish Church.

BeatrixFan said:
And then there's the Quakers. Famous for their porridge oats.

yeah, they're required to eat oatmeal everyday and wear these funny hats.

we're all learning so much!

Iain said:
The Scots are anything but dour and anyway, the Catholic Church is Scotland's largest religion.

Poor Queen Mary would be so proud.;)

Anyway, just for the topic of Mary and to clear up any more confusion:
There's the Christian church. It used to be one church, the "Catholic" or "universal" church and then it split. So all other Christian religions like Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Dutch Reform, Calvanist, Methodist, etc. are all protestant religions. So Mary converted from one form of protestantism to another.

There's a bit of a sticking point with the Eastern Orthodox religions (Russian, Greek, and such) because they are not considered protestant but they are not quite Catholic. After Vatican II, there seems to be more of an attempt by Rome to reach out to the Eastern Christian religions (by adding the very important "light" sayings and so on). The Eastern religions are essentially ethnic versions of Catholicism with a lose relationship with Rome.

(P.S. - Sorry if I didn't spell the religions correctly. I'm Roman Catholic and I don't usually write out the names of these religions. I don't mean any disrespect at all.):eek:

Layla1971 said:

That's ok Layla, to answer your first question: Well, Warren and I for starters;)
"Protestant" is the medias way of saying, 'we're not sure what religion she is, but let's just assume she's not a Catholic or anything Orthodox'. As I'm sure you're aware;) the umbrella category of 'Protestant' comes from those christians who protested (either in thoughts or actions), to the power of the Roman Catholic Church at the time of the reformation. So it describes any Christian who isn't a Catholic, or belonging to an Eastern Orthodix Church.

Simple isn't it?!

SpiffyBallerina said:
There's a bit of a sticking point with the Eastern Orthodox religions (Russian, Greek, and such) because they are not considered protestant but they are not quite Catholic. After Vatican II, there seems to be more of an attempt by Rome to reach out to the Eastern Christian religions (by adding the very important "light" sayings and so on). The Eastern religions are essentially ethnic versions of Catholicism with a lose relationship with Rome.

(P.S. - Sorry if I didn't spell the religions correctly. I'm Roman Catholic and I don't usually write out the names of these religions. I don't mean any disrespect at all.):eek:
I really don't think there is even a loose relationship with Rome. When they split with Rome there really was no more association with Rome.....I think JP II's death was the first time in a long time that Orthodox religious leaders were in Rome (officially for a funeral of a Roman Catholic Pope).
From Wikipedia:
In the 11th century the Great Schism took place between Rome and Constantinople, which led to separation of the Church of the West, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Churches of the East. There were doctrinal issues like the filioque clause and the authority of the Pope involved in the split, but these were exacerbated by cultural and linguistic differences.
The final breach is often considered to have arisen after the sacking of Constantinople by the Fourth Crusade in 1204. This Fourth Crusade had the Latin Church directly involved in a military assault against the Byzantine Empire, Constantinople, and the Orthodox Patriarchate. The sacking of the Church of Holy Wisdom and establishment of the Latin Empire in 1204 is viewed with some rancor to the present day. In 2004, Pope John Paul II extended a formal apology for the sacking of Constantinople in 1204; the apology was formally accepted by Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople. (Many things that were stolen during this time: relics, riches, and many other items, are still held in various Catholic churches in Western Europe.
In 1453, the last of the Roman Empire (with its capital at Constantinople) fell to the Ottoman Turks. By this time Egypt had been under Muslim control for some seven centuries, but Orthodoxy was very strong in Russia; and so Moscow, called the Third Rome, became a major new center of the Church at that time.

Did people make Queen Sophia of Spain's conversion from Greek Orthodox to Catholicism (sp? I'm Catholic as well but I don't know if I spelled that right :)) a big deal?

I also read in one of the Belgium threads that Queen Astrid of Belgium converted to Catholicism around 1934/1935. She married Prince Leopold of Belgium around 1926. Apparently she said she would convert when she was ready.

Also Princess Di's mother, Frances Shand Kydd (though not royal), also converted to Catholicsm around 1994. Her funeral was attended by her grandsons, Princes William and Harry; they commented that it was the first time that an heir to the throne of England attended a Catholic Mass in 500 years. An interesting piece of information, I thought.

I thought that Princess Letizia was agnostic or something along those lines.

Letizia was supposedly agnostic, but she was baptized and made the first communion when she was a kid, but didn't confirm until almost the time of her wedding

For those who aren't christian, the order of sacraments (7) is:
1. Baptism
2. Communion (you usually confess first (another sacrament) and receive absolution for your sins)
3. Confirmation (you cannot get married for the Catholic Church if you don't have this sacrament)
4. Marriage
The priest ordenation and final absolution and confession are also sacraments
Her first marriage was civil thus non valid for catholics

Margarita, Kyril, Kubrat, Konstantin and Kalina of Bulgaria and their families are all Roman Catholics, the only ortodox are Simeon and Kardam and his family.

Catholic King

Suprised I didn't see anyone mention this:

The title of Catholic King has descended to two current european monarchies, Belgium and Spain. It was awarded by the pope to monarchs who in the eyes of the papacy embodied Catholic principles. Isabella of Castile and Ferdinand of Aragon are two good examples that were awarded the title. One of the rights of this award is that the Catholic Queen may wear white in front of the Pope. -wiki-

(I tried to find a photo of Sofia in white with the Pope, but am not on the ball today)

Thought I would leave this nugget and see if anyone knew something more.

-Like the thread, even though every other reply was rediculous.

There are a lot of threads that discuss this, including wearing white when meeting the pope which besides the Queen of Spain and the Queen of the Belgians is also given to the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Archduchesses of Austria and Princesses of the House of Savoy (Italy).

You best opition is to look for pictures from Pope Benedict enthronment (not sure if that is the right word) Queen Sofia, Queen Paloa and Grand Duchess Marie Terese are all wearing white.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f12/royals-visiting-pope-2809.html?highlight=Vatican

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f70/pope-benedict-xvi-part-i-8585.html?highlight=Vatican

Last edited:
Maybe it was posted before, but which of the present royals are more Catholic?

crisiñaki said:
Margarita, Kyril, Kubrat, Konstantin and Kalina of Bulgaria and their families are all Roman Catholics, the only ortodox are Simeon and Kardam and his family.
Kalina practises the orthodox religion, her wedding was in Bulgaria for the orthodox rite.

Lady Jennifer said:
IDid people make Queen Sophia of Spain's conversion from Greek Orthodox to Catholicism (sp? I'm Catholic as well but I don't know if I spelled that right :)) a big deal?
The Queen Sofia came to Spain in the epoch of Franco, then the religion was a question of State, it was necessary to be a Catholic or be a Catholic. The topic of the orthodox religion was very polemic in its moment; and I am thinking about remembering that even at the time, in Spain only there appeared the images of the catholic wedding, but not of the orthodox one.

Didn't they even have three weddings? One Catholic, one ortodox and then a third one?

Furienna said:
Didn't they even have three weddings? One Catholic, one ortodox and then a third one?
Maybe a Civil one?

Who converted from Catholicism?

Prince Henrik?

Queen Silvia?

Are they still practicing Catholics? I'm pretty sure Prince Henrik's not; I read somewhere that QMII had influenced him to convert of his own free will. Not sure about Queen Silvia.

Is Princess Maxima still a practicing Catholic, but raising her kids as Protestants?

Queen Silvia?

Are you sure Queen Silvia was Catholic orginially ? (she was born in germany)

Princess Maxima is still Catholic.

Queen Silvia was always Lutheran.

Back
Top Bottom